Hi, I'm Lucy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy

Hi everyone. This is Lucy. I have been a Christian for many years and enjoy talking about theology. Strangely, it has been difficult to find other Christians with whom to talk theology! When I was a kid, I used to get very confused about some of the things I heard in church, because pastors would contradict themselves and I could see the contradiction, but nobody else seemed to notice. I drove my Sunday school teachers crazy, I'm sure, because I did not ask the "usual" questions, ha ha! People told me "You think too much!" That wasn't a very helpful answer! Finally, I realized pastors are only human and they have varying theological belief systems, and this is where some of my confusion was coming from.

I have read the following books and would be interested in discussing these authors ideas if anyone else in interested..

Author: Don Miller
"Searching for God Knows What"
"Blue Like Jazz"

Author: Philip Yancey
"The Jesus I Never Knew"

Authors: Walls and Dongell
"Why I am Not a Calvinist"

Author: C.S. Lewis - just about any of his books

These are other books I am in the process of reading and would enjoy discussing with anyone who has a interest:

"Basic Theology" by Charles Ryrie
"Dispensationalism" by Charles Ryrie

I think this is a great site and something I have been looking for
for a long time! Wish you had been around when I was a kid, but we didn't even have personal computers then, ha ha ha! :wave2:

Spitfire

If by "talking theology" you mean conversing civilly and meaningfully, you may or may not find what you're looking for here.

Depending more than anything else on who you end up doing that talking with, I suppose.

keypurr

Hi everyone. This is Lucy. I have been a Christian for many years and enjoy talking about theology. Strangely, it has been difficult to find other Christians with whom to talk theology! When I was a kid, I used to get very confused about some of the things I heard in church, because pastors would contradict themselves and I could see the contradiction, but nobody else seemed to notice. I drove my Sunday school teachers crazy, I'm sure, because I did not ask the "usual" questions, ha ha! People told me "You think too much!" That wasn't a very helpful answer! Finally, I realized pastors are only human and they have varying theological belief systems, and this is where some of my confusion was coming from.

I have read the following books and would be interested in discussing these authors ideas if anyone else in interested..

Author: Don Miller
"Searching for God Knows What"
"Blue Like Jazz"

Author: Philip Yancey
"The Jesus I Never Knew"

Authors: Walls and Dongell
"Why I am Not a Calvinist"

Author: C.S. Lewis - just about any of his books

These are other books I am in the process of reading and would enjoy discussing with anyone who has a interest:

"Basic Theology" by Charles Ryrie

for a long time! Wish you had been around when I was a kid, but we didn't even have personal computers then, ha ha ha! :wave2:

Hi Lucy, welcome to TOL. I assume you have read the Bible also. That is what is needed most here.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome!! Glad to have ya!

GuySmiley

Hi everyone. This is Lucy. I have been a Christian for many years and enjoy talking about theology. Strangely, it has been difficult to find other Christians with whom to talk theology! When I was a kid, I used to get very confused about some of the things I heard in church, because pastors would contradict themselves and I could see the contradiction, but nobody else seemed to notice. I drove my Sunday school teachers crazy, I'm sure, because I did not ask the "usual" questions, ha ha! People told me "You think too much!" That wasn't a very helpful answer!
This typical story usually goes on to "so I dumped Christianity because I realized how smart I am. I've moved on to more advanced beliefs than you peons . . ." But . . .

Finally, I realized pastors are only human and they have varying theological belief systems, and this is where some of my confusion was coming from.
Wow, a rational thought, you didn't conclude that you must be the center of the universe! Welcome lucy, a breath of fresh air! :)

I read this one. Its good, but its more of a defense of Dispensationalism. If you arent' already familiar, it may not be a good starter.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
welcome to TOL from someone who was also accused of thinking too much

consider it a badge of honor

lucy

If by "talking theology" you mean conversing civilly and meaningfully, you may or may not find what you're looking for here.

Depending more than anything else on who you end up doing that talking with, I suppose.

I have already noticed that!

lucy

This typical story usually goes on to "so I dumped Christianity because I realized how smart I am. I've moved on to more advanced beliefs than you peons . . ." But . . .

Wow, a rational thought, you didn't conclude that you must be the center of the universe! Welcome lucy, a breath of fresh air! :)

I read this one. Its good, but its more of a defense of Dispensationalism. If you arent' already familiar, it may not be a good starter.

Yes, I know it is a defense of Dispensationalism. I have not reached a conclusion yet if I really accept Dispensationalism or not. I was raised in a church that presented this, but later learned this is not the only way of interpreting the events in the scripture. I am starting here to see what the basic premises are and how they came to these conclusions. I am working on "putting away childish things" as the apostle Paul said - that is, I accepted a lot of teachings as a child simply because I thought whatever came out of the pastor's mouth had to be true. Now I want to seek the truth for myself.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Welcome to TOL, I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

You might want to check out our world famous debate Does God Exist? where a TOL Christian completely destroys atheism.

jstemmle

Lucy:

I'm new here too. Pleased to meet you. You sound like my kind of person. OK maybe I'm further beyond the fringe. South of Orthodox. I look forward to future conversations. I have already put a toe in the water. Check out the "Searching for God: Will the real God please stand up" thread. I'd love to get your reaction.

Cheers.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.