Hello from a former Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

In reality, he may have been a counterfeit/fraud OR he may have been a genuine believer who has fallen away/apostasized- c'mon non-OSAS crowd, say it with me! 'There are false believers, former believers, true believers, and unbelievers'.

Then, there's Squeaky and Letsargue. :think:

Welcome to TOL Jeremy. :e4e:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hello,

I was a Christian for 15+ years. I have recently abandoned it, as I no longer believe it's a rational position or one supported by the evidence. But since it played such a big part in my life I still like talking about it, hence why I'm here. I quite enjoy talking with Christians, which is good since I'm friends with many and married to one.

But may I say, the sheer number of forums here is a bit daunting. :dizzy: I'm off to figure out which one I belong in.
I'm kind of curious what, exactly, you did believe for that 15 year period. Did you believe that your sins were worthy of death? Did you believe that Jesus sacrifice was the only thing that could have paid the price for those sins? Did you believe that Jesus rose from the dead?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I'm kind of curious what, exactly, you did believe for that 15 year period. Did you believe that your sins were worthy of death? Did you believe that Jesus sacrifice was the only thing that could have paid the price for those sins? Did you believe that Jesus rose from the dead?

He may have believed this, but I also had a mental assent to these things without heart transformation. He also might have had transformation by embracing these truths, but later renouncing and abandoning them with a conscious decision to reject light, truth, God, Christ (new reality is the relationship is severed and outside of grace; OSAS disagrees, but they are wrong).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Er, no. You just thought you were. :squint:

Welcome to TOL.

AMR

How do you know? You are being circular based on a preconceived idea (if POTS is true, he could not be a Christian). What if he is temporarily lapsed and returns to a Calvinistic faith before death?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I will say I find the abundance of the "no true Scotsman" argument here both amusing and entirely expected. It's been my observation that believers consider apostates to be more threatening or dangerous than any regular unbeliever, so in defense they'll immediately conclude the person was never truly one of their own. I guess that invention is more palatable than the notion that someone could actually leave their little fold.

Interestingly, I also see this in atheists, when an avowed atheist has a religious conversion. It's probably human nature to be defensive of the clan.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yes, yes, and yes.

I will say I find the abundance of the "no true Scotsman" argument here both amusing and entirely expected. It's been my observation that believers consider apostates to be more threatening or dangerous than any regular unbeliever, so in defense they'll immediately conclude the person was never truly one of their own. I guess that invention is more palatable than the notion that someone could actually leave their little fold.

Interestingly, I also see this in atheists, when an avowed atheist has a religious conversion. It's probably human nature to be defensive of the clan.

Good point. If an atheist becomes a Christian, we do not conclude that they were never an atheist. If a Christian becomes an atheist, why do we conclude they were never a Christian. Biblically and logically, OSAS is indefensible (and there is more than one possibility as to the former state of an ex-believer...may or may not have had the real thing).

elohiym

I saw the absurdity of believing in a God that sends people to hell for failing to believe in what can't be proven.

Yes that is absurd. But that's not what Christianity teaches. So you left "Christianity" because you never had faith in an absurdity that has nothing to do with true Christianity.

I reject to entire Christian hypothesis.

If what you said above is any indication, you don't have a clue what the "entire Christian hypothesis" is.

Enjoy your time here. :e4e:

Status
Not open for further replies.