Hello from a former Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I was a Christian for 15+ years. I have recently abandoned it, as I no longer believe it's a rational position or one supported by the evidence. But since it played such a big part in my life I still like talking about it, hence why I'm here. I quite enjoy talking with Christians, which is good since I'm friends with many and married to one.

But may I say, the sheer number of forums here is a bit daunting. :dizzy: I'm off to figure out which one I belong in.

Absurdist

Welcome, Jeremy, from another atheist and newbie to TOL. I know, the list of discussions can be daunting, but plenty of interesting discussion to be had.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL, Jeremy! :wave2:

Prepare to be re-converted! :D

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Was there a particular trigger or influence that led you from rational theism to irrational atheism?:cry::dunce:

Mr. Beeks

Welcome, Jeremy. What kind of church did you belong to? Maybe your problem was more with what your church was or wasn't teaching you.

Was there a particular trigger or influence that led you from rational theism to irrational atheism?:cry::dunce:

Nice. :)

No great event or life tragedy, though oddly that tends to be what people ask first ("What happened?!"). I just started questioning things I'd never honestly questioned before. I saw the absurdity of believing in a God that sends people to hell for failing to believe in what can't be proven.

Mr. Beeks said:
What kind of church did you belong to? Maybe your problem was more with what your church was or wasn't teaching you.

Well I liked my old church and have no animosity toward them. It was commonly known as "Brethren", though that name wasn't on the sign. It was pretty much typically protestant baptist-like teachings. Inerrant word of God, saved by faith not works, etc.

But I should point out I don't disagree with anything unique to my church. I reject to entire Christian hypothesis. I see no evidence for any God, and even if I did, I see no reason to accept the Judeo-Christian God.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I just started questioning things I'd never honestly questioned before. I saw the absurdity of believing in a God that sends people to hell for failing to believe in what can't be proven.

I reject to entire Christian hypothesis. I see no evidence for any God, and even if I did, I see no reason to accept the Judeo-Christian God.

Romans 1 shows that you are without excuse. It is good to know what we believe and why. Honest doubts are not a problem and God will give more evidence. Skeptical, atheistic doubts in the face of evidence are another matter and can lead to judicial hardening. It is a wrong assumption to think that a loving, holy God sends people to hell without basis. You wrongly assume that things can't be proved or that there is little evidence.

Revelation>reason. God has communicated Himself and truth. Following false gods or philosophies would not be commendable.

I am not sure why you believed without substance all those years? Perhaps you never were converted, just religious?

Karl der Grosse

Welcome Jeremy. I hope you enjoy your time here, and I pray the Lord work in your heart and bring you back into the fold. Until then, name's Dave and pleased to meet you!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:wave2:
I was a Christian for 15+ years.
Then you weren't told...one more and you would have gotten a watch.
I have recently abandoned it, as I no longer believe it's a rational position
Then you're either 16, ill considered, or on the verge of another disappointment.
or one supported by the evidence.
What objective evidence, what criteria would you suggest could be met to prove the existence of God?
But since it played such a big part in my life I still like talking about it, hence why I'm here. I quite enjoy talking with Christians, which is good since I'm friends with many and married to one.
Then you're in luck. There are one or two here as well.
But may I say, the sheer number of forums here is a bit daunting.
It helps if you take them one at a time. :plain:
:dizzy: I'm off to figure out which one I belong in.
Do you mean threads? :think: Welcome, I think...

Mr. Beeks

Then you weren't told...one more and you would have gotten a watch.

Then you're either 16, ill considered, or on the verge of another disappointment.

What objective evidence, what criteria would you suggest could be met to prove the existence of God?

Then you're in luck. There are one or two here as well.

It helps if you take them one at a time. :plain:

Do you mean threads? :think: Welcome, I think...
I thought that we established that Reese's Peanut Butter Cups were all the proof we need.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi. Welcome to TOL. You're lucky. We're all past the newbie hazing phase.

:wave:

Cracked

C'mon OSAS crowd, say it with me!

"There's no such thing as a former Christian."

So, dude, you're like a unicorn. Welcome to our magical dream glade, oh impossible contradiction!

godrulz

Hall of Fame
C'mon OSAS crowd, say it with me!

"There's no such thing as a former Christian."

So, dude, you're like a unicorn. Welcome to our magical dream glade, oh impossible contradiction!

In reality, he may have been a counterfeit/fraud OR he may have been a genuine believer who has fallen away/apostasized- c'mon non-OSAS crowd, say it with me! 'There are false believers, former believers, true believers, and unbelievers'.

Status
Not open for further replies.