GUNS!

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So.

I've been considering buying a gun.

What are they, and what purpose do they serve anyway?

Aren't they just asking for violence?

Don't they FORCE folks to do harm against others?

Don't they encourage evil actions?

I'm so confused.

:idunno:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

They are a way of the physically weak to be violent against those people or animals that are bigger than them.

No, they are for giving violence.

No, it is the tool folks use to do harm against those that have it coming.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They are a way of the physically weak to be violent against those people or animals that are bigger than them.

No, they are for giving violence.

No, it is the tool folks use to do harm against those that have it coming.

Hmmmmm....:think:

You say such ODD things.

I will have to consider this.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Hmmmmm....:think:

You say such ODD things.

I will have to consider this.

:nono: Don't listen to him...They are EVIL! They do horrible things and the laugh about it when you aren't looking! Just the other day I saw one pulling on my cats tail!

Evilbabyhuntinghorribleheatseekingcopkillingassaultmurdermachines! :noway:

:noid: 'specially the black ones.

th_thats-racist.gif

:eek:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
So.

I've been considering buying a gun.

Don't they encourage evil actions?

I'm so confused.

:idunno:

I've heard they are only for killing people. All of mine must all be defective.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I always buy the gun gleaning oil (comes in a kit with a soft rag and long wire).

A neighbor told me that WD40 did just as well.

Is that true? Is it OK to clean a gun using WD40?

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I always buy the gun gleaning oil (comes in a kit with a soft rag and long wire).

Some people say that over time wd40 builds up a film that hardens and can mess with things. I have not experienced any trouble with it myself. Personally I do not believe it, but buyer beware, :) I really could be wrong.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

WD40 stands for 'water displacement formula #40'.
I buy it by the case and use it everyday in the machine shop.
It will clean a gun and displace any moisture, but it is also a penetrant and will go in places that you might not want, such as cartridge primers. Though the damage to primers by such a penetrant is debated, I'll not risk the chance of a 'fizzle'. I've had 'fizzles' from carrying ammo day in and day out in a concealed carry just from sweat and other moisture. I now fire the ammo in my carry pistol periodically and replace it with new.
WD40 is not petroleum based and will evaporate leaving a small amount of dry residue. This, combined with other foreign matter could lead to an unwanted build up in some unseen places which could potentially result in a malfunction.
WD40 can also damage the finish on wooden stocks and grips.
Though an occasional use of WD40 for cleaning a gun is not likely to cause a problem, I would recommend the commercial products which have been specifically developed for cleaning and lubricating guns.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I oppose WD40 for cleaning. It is petrol based, along with fish oil and other things. Yes, it displaces water as designed. There is plenty of choices at reasonable costs on cleaner. I can't see it causing any harm if you lube it afterwards, but there are better cleaning agents and better lubricants.

If you see something called CLP on a shelf, you can use that, or any version of it.

edit: I just thought of how easily WD40 ignites. That might not be a good choice at all.

Last edited:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Considering the cost of a weapon I would rather use Hoppe's or Remington's, costs a little more but it is specifically designed for that purpose, besides, how much could you use at each application?

A clean gun is a happy gun!:)

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I clean my black powder guns with soap and water and put them in the oven, on warm, to dry. Some of the old timers recommended canola oil to lube it with after. Seems to work pretty well.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Funny, I know someone who use a flammable tool solvent and ignited it. I have no idea why he did this? I too like Hoppe's cleaner.

I use a variety of cleaning solutions, WD-40 is one of them. Some years ago, Gun Tests Magazine (if you're not a subscriber I highly recommend it) did a test on cleaning / lubricating solutions. If I remember right, WD-40 came out somewhere in the middle of the pack. I'm going to point to a couple of websites then I'll tell you what I use:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=...nic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Preventatives

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

I use WD-40 on any weapon I'm running corrosive ammo in. It cleans and prevents rust. I do not use it as a lubricant. I use a light oil like Break Free in the winter, and Tectra grease on the slides in the summer, and a light oil on other parts. I like Hoppes and Remington gun oil. Use as little lubricant as possible because lubricants attract dirt. Synthetic engine oil like 5W-20 has been recommended by several posters on firearms sites.

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
WD40 stands for 'water displacement formula #40'.
.......will go in places that you might not want, such as cartridge primers. Though the damage to primers by such a penetrant is debated,

Oh, it will; we used to kill old primers with it.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
We used a lubricant made with sewing machine oil and something lighter. Bob always maintained well oiled, but never overdone.

One thing about WD40, if you have a old rusty rifle and want to get it clean, it will work, but it is best to clean the bore, then use a true gun barrel cleaner, or general gun cleaner.

One ore thing, WD40 sprayed on a plastic worm will attract bass, try it, it does work!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Synthetic engine oil like 5W-20 has been recommended by several posters on firearms sites

Just don't fall for the Mobil 1 hype. It is way overpriced, and not as good as Penzoil Platnum. Now that is something you probably didn't think you would read. Penzoil and Quaker State are not Pennsylvania crude oil any more.

Mobile 1 used to be a group 4 synthetic. Not anymore. They are now group 3 just like most.