we woke up bright and early just to howdy-do ya.”

1st call to breakfast for all of you out there

America's favorite breakfast club is on the air

bybee

“Good morning Breakfast Clubbers, good morning to ya,
we woke up bright and early just to howdy-do ya.”

1st call to breakfast for all of you out there

America's favorite breakfast club is on the air

Good morning Chrys. This is an exciting day in our family. Two of our young men going off to college for the first time! One to St. Mary's in Winona and the other to Bemidji State in Bemidji, Minnesota.
I have a microwave oven in the back of my van along with utensils and also, per my grandson's request, a double batch of homemade molasses cookies which I shall take to Bemidji tomorrow.
We all rejoice when our young person's make the decision to go to college. And, we all pitch in to help.
I love these kids!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Good morning Chrys. This is an exciting day in our family. Two of our young men going off to college for the first time! One to St. Mary's in Winona and the other to Bemidji State in Bemidji, Minnesota.
I have a microwave oven in the back of my van along with utensils and also, per my grandson's request, a double batch of homemade molasses cookies which I shall take to Bemidji tomorrow.
We all rejoice when our young person's make the decision to go to college. And, we all pitch in to help.
I love these kids!

it is important that they get to chose
not only which college they go to
but
whether or not they go to college

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It's important to encourage them to go to college before accepting that some won't want to go. How many young people didn't go to college because their parents didn't expect them to? A lot of responsibility lies with the parents who thought a factory job was a big enough dream, or that boys went to college and girls got married.

Thunder's Muse

It's important to encourage them to go to college before accepting that some won't want to go. How many young people didn't go to college because their parents didn't expect them to? A lot of responsibility lies with the parents who thought a factory job was a big enough dream, or that boys went to college and girls got married.

Do all kids go away to College? Do any stay home and study?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Hi TM. By saying "go to" college, I meant attend college, so yes, a lot of kids attending do stay at home and go to a nearby college or university.

PureX

That's certainly what I was taught: "learn a trade, forget college, we can't afford it". But thanks to Jimmy Carter, I was able to go to college, anyway.

My dad worked for the same company for 30 years, and retired from there just before they were bought out, and most of the other people who worked there lost everything. He lived in a different time, when companies thought long-term, and people were sensibly loyal to their employers. Now it's all about the short term profits, and no one is loyal to anyone in business, anymore. My dad was certainly right for his time, but his advice was useless in ours.

bybee

That's certainly what I was taught: "learn a trade, forget college, we can't afford it". But thanks to Jimmy Carter, I was able to go to college, anyway.

My dad worked for the same company for 30 years, and retired from there just before they were bought out, and most of the other people who worked there lost everything. He lived in a different time, when companies thought long-term, and people were sensibly loyal to their employers. Now it's all about the short term profits, and no one is loyal to anyone in business, anymore. My dad was certainly right for his time, but his advice was useless in ours.

There you go again using "no one" when you cannot possibly know everyone!

Many small businesses have very loyal and reciprocal relationships between employees and owners.
My son and daughter-in-law work for a huge company which, while expecting top performance, is both loyal and generous.

PureX

There you go again using "no one" when you cannot possibly know everyone!

Many small businesses have very loyal and reciprocal relationships between employees and owners.
My son and daughter-in-law work for a huge company which, while expecting top performance, is both loyal and generous.
It's true that small businesses often still engage in such reciprocal loyalty. You're right. But I've also worked at some small businesses where the owner/manager/boss was a total jerk who thought his business was his own tiny little fiefdom.

In general, though, business is all about the money, now. There is little concern for the well being of the people involved. And I think that's because too many businesses have become too big. It's better to be able to look the people we work for and do business with in the eye.

bybee

It's true that small businesses often still engage in such reciprocal loyalty. You're right. But I've also worked at some small businesses where the owner/manager/boss was a total jerk who thought his business was his own tiny little fiefdom.

In general, though, business is all about the money, now. There is little concern for the well being of the people involved. And I think that's because too many businesses have become too big.

I tend, in general, to agree with you.:chuckle:

illusionray

Art ... she has gotten really good.
That's a mickey mouse subject you know that right? Although I can't be too hypocritical considering the high value of art hung around my home. None of them bought by me though. For me artists provide little, if any value to the world.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That's a mickey mouse subject you know that right? Although I can't be too hypocritical considering the high value of art hung around my home. None of them bought by me though. For me artists provide little, if any value to the world.

For me you provide little, if any value to the world.