Good Friday?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
That is not what Strong's thinks.

paraskeué: preparation, the day of preparation (for a Sabbath or feast)

I know.

Strong's is just as confused on understanding John's peculiar use of terms as the rest.

Read AT Robertson and Alfred Edersheim.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Lord Jesus was born under the law and kept it until the law ended with John.

Matthew gives us further understanding as to what the Lord Jesus was saying according to Luke.

Mat 11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

Not sure the curse of the law had ended until Christ was crucified and raised into glory.

Right.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Not sure the curse of the law had ended until Christ was crucified and raised into glory.

The curse of the law was death. The law ended with John.

The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached and everyone is pressing into it. (Luke 16:16 NKJV)

For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. (Matthew 11:13 NKJV)​

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Matthew gives us further understanding as to what the Lord Jesus was saying according to Luke.

Mat 11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

And John prepared the way for Israel's Messiah, the Anointed One, who ushered in a new deal.

achduke

I know.

Strong's is just as confused on understanding John's peculiar use of terms as the rest.

Read AT Robertson and Alfred Edersheim.

No matter what AT Robertson and Alfred Edersheim say, logic dictates you cannot have 3 days and 3 nights from Friday to Sunday. Please lay out the days and nights for us in the order you think they should be.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
If there was no explanation needed then why did Mark furnish an explanation in Mk 15:42?

So people wouldn't think he was referring to the weekly Sabbath.

Every Friday is a preparation day to prepare for the Sabbath but not requiring the removal of leavening. This was the preparation day for Unleavened Bread.

And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the LORD; seven days you must eat unleavened bread. On the first day you shall have a holy convocation, you shall do no customary work on it. (Leviticus 23:6-7 NKJV)​

Each Sabbath is a commanded assembly, a holy convocation.

WeberHome

-
I come here to . . . learn.

When I first came online back in 1997, someone on an Excite forum told me
that internet forums are the armpit of the internet. I've since learned for
myself that he was right.

Internet forums are not a good place to learn. They're dominated by
backyard theologians and self-made linguists; and typically fester with
quarrels, ad hominems, and perpetual bull sessions that never get to the
bottom of anything.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Last edited:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
No matter what AT Robertson and Alfred Edersheim say, logic dictates you cannot have 3 days and 3 nights from Friday to Sunday. Please lay out the days and nights for us in the order you think they should be.

There aren't three whole days and three whole nights in the chronological texts.

Many take Mt 12:40 as their starting point and because they see it as literally a 72 hour period, they assume that the chronoloical accounts of Mt, Mk, and Lk demonstrate a record of that many days and nights.
They don't..... and those who take Mt 12:40 as the literal absolute, must struggle to find the extra time in Mt, Mk and Lk. It's not there.
Then, they use their misunderstanding of John's language of the terms 'Passover' and 'the Preparation' to force-fit the extra time.

Others, instead of beginning with Mt 12:40 as an absolute, begin by simply reading the chronological accounts. These accounts do not show a literal three days and three nights.
Those of us who absolutely see no literal 72 hours, 60 hours, or 48 hours in the chronological accounts, are left with explaining why Mt 12:40 does not mean a literal three whole days and three whole nights. Typically, the only possible explanation given is that Mt 12:40 is a Hebrew idiom which means any part of three days.
Eliezar Ben Azariah is usually cited as the historical use of this Hebrew idiom.

"A day and a night make an Onah, and a part of an Onah is as the whole."-Rabbi Eliezar Ben Azariah
The Rabbi was writing in the 1st century AD and was commenting on Jonah's use of the phrase 'three days and three nights'. He had no bone to pick with the Christian argument in which we are now engaging, but was simply commenting on the Hebrew idiomatic useage in Jonah.

I choose to go with the plain reading of the chronological accounts which have always been my starting place.
Others choose Mt 12:40 as their starting point.

Of course only one view is correct.
But we are all left with sorting it out according to, as you say....logic.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
-

When I first came online back in 1997, someone on an Excite forum told me
that internet forums are the armpit of the internet. I've since learned for
myself that he was right.

Internet forums are not a good place to learn. They're dominated by
backyard theologians and self-made linguists; and typically fester with
quarrels, ad hominems, and perpetual bull sessions that never get to the
bottom of anything.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Are you pointing at everyone but yourself in this statement?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Steko, if I understand you correctly you are saying that Jesus died the day before the Sabbath and then ate the Passover that night with his friends. Is this correct?

If not, then what are you saying?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Steko, if I understand you correctly you are saying that Jesus died the day before the Sabbath and then ate the Passover that night with his friends. Is this correct?

If not, then what are you saying?

:rotfl:

Now......wouldn't that be absurd?

Is this really as best you can do at understanding what I've been saying?

According to the chronological text, on the day that the lambs were killed Christ instructed His disciples to go into the city and make things ready so that He could eat the Passover with them.

Do the texts say that or not?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
According to the chronological text, on the day that the lambs were killed Christ instructed His disciples to go into the city and make things ready so that He could eat the Passover with them.

In post 123 you said this:

That's all mumbo-jumbo because you've already missed the day sequence in your first statement, because the text plainly says that on the first day when the lambs must be killed(the 14th), the Lord Jesus instructed His disciples to prepare(hetoimazo) for the Passover meal which He would eat with them that night after sundown which begins the 15th.

Are you saying Jesus died on the weekly Sabbath and was entombed as Sunday began?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mar 14:12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed[sacrificed] the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

hote to pascha ethuon- when they sacrificed the passover lamb

Luk 22:7 Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover[to pascha] must be killed[edi thuesthai].
Luk 22:8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.

passover must be sacrificed- pascha edei thuesthai

edei- Needs, is necessary, has need of, is inevitable in the nature of things.
thuesthai- sacrificed

So....on what day did Christ tell His disciples to go a make ready the Passover meal[seder]?

What day does this have to be according to the Scripture and logic?

Exo 12:6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

Exo 12:21 Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover[θύσατε τὸ πασχα-LXX].

θύσατε τὸ πασχα- thusate to pascha- sacrifice the lamb/passover

Same as Mark and Luke in the Greek Septuagint of Ex 12:21

So.....the Lord Jesus instructed His disciples to make ready the Passover meal on the very day on which, according to Ex 12, the whole assembly of Israel sacrificed the Passover lambs, which is the 14th.

To say that Christ and His disciples ate an alternative Passover meal is to ignore the text or worse.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
In post 123 you said this:

Steko quote: "That's all mumbo-jumbo because you've already missed the day sequence in your first statement, because the text plainly says that on the first day when the lambs must be killed(the 14th), the Lord Jesus instructed His disciples to prepare(hetoimazo) for the Passover meal which He would eat with them that night after sundown which begins the 15th."

Are you saying Jesus died on the weekly Sabbath and was entombed as Sunday began?

The Lord Jesus was crucified and died on the paraskeue of the weekly Sabbath(the sixth day of the week), which was the 15th and ate the Passover with His disciples the night before which was the beginning of the 15th(what we would call Thursday night).