Good Friday?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
-
...Christ ate his lamb...

Scripture does not say that Jesus had lamb at his last meal. God through Jesus instituted a NT Passover of bread and wine and he told his disciples to observe the bread and wine in memory of him.

WeberHome

-
According to Luke 22:7-16 Christ's last supper was a Passover.

According to Matt 26:3-5, John 13:1-4, John 18:28, and John 19:14, Christ
ate his Passover ahead of the Jews' Passover.

I suppose it's mean-spirited of me to enjoy watching people unable to
harmonize John's gospel with the other three; but I just can't help myself.

Anyway; party on dudes, and be excellent to each other.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
According to Luke 22:7-16 Christ's last supper was a Passover

According to John 13:1-4, John 18:28, and John 19:14, Christ ate his Passover ahead of the Jews' Passover.

Jesus' Passover had nothing to do with his last meal. Scripture doesn't reveal what he ate because it doesn't matter.

Paul explains it this way:

Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord’s Supper. For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others and one is hungry and another is drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.

For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat, this is My body which is broken for you, do this in remembrance of Me.”

In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes. (1 Corinthians 11:20-26 NKJV)

Jesus instituted the NT Passover that we are to observe. Jesus' Passover ended animal sacrifice.

WeberHome

-
Scripture does not say that Jesus had lamb at his last meal. God through
Jesus instituted a NT Passover of bread and wine and he told his disciples to
observe the bread and wine in memory of him.

With your imagination, you should be writing children's books.

Work with the facts at hand jamie; don't be inventing new ones out of thin
air, nor tailoring scripture to fit your size; if you know what I mean.

And especially beware of stretching Paul's writings. In doing so, you might just
as well put a gun to your head.

†. 2Pet 3:15-16 . . Our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom
that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in
them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to
understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other
Scriptures, to their own destruction.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
My mistake. I calculated it up side down when I was redoing my research. I needed to start with night and then day.

Correction:
Nissan 14th Wed Day Just before Evening (3PM) Christ Crucified and put in Tomb at twilight, Preparation Day.
Nissan 15th Wed (Christ in the Ground 1st Night) Passover Night
Nissan 15th Thu (Christ in the Ground 1st Day) 1st Day of Unleaven Bread. (Special Sabbath John 19:31)
Nissan 16th Thu (Christ in the Ground 2nd Night) 2nd Day of Unleaven Bread
Nissan 16th Fri (Christ in the Ground 2nd Day) 2nd Day of Unleaven Bread. (Mark 16:1) After Sabbath Mary and Mary buy spices.
Nissan 17th Fri (Christ in the Ground 3rd Night) 3rd Day of Unleaven Bread and Weekly Sabbath.
Nissan 17th Sat (Christ in the Ground 3rd Day) 3rd Day of Unleaven Bread and Weekly Sabbath (Christ Risen ?)
Nissan 18th Sat Night 4th Day of Unleaven Bread and First Fruits (Christ had already risen.) (John 20:1)
Nissan 18th Sun Day 4th Day of Unleaven Bread and First Fruits (waving of sheaf)

This is all nonsense! you have all the days mixed up and Scripture does not support the days you list.

Reactions: Lon

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
-

With your imagination, you should be writing children's books.

Work with the facts at hand jamie; don't be inventing new ones out of thin
air, nor tailoring scripture to fit your size; if you know what I mean.

And especially beware of twisting Pauls' writings. In doing so, you might just
as well put a gun to your head.

†. 2Pet 3:15-16 . . Our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom
that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in
them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to
understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other
Scriptures, to their own destruction.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
You are the one making up things here, not her.
Knock off the font designs, and do not add font designs to quoted posts in standard font, you dope!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Fonts do not work on tap talk. They make it hard to quote.

This is the original post, later, quoted, is was made larger and blue.

Scripture does not say that Jesus had lamb at his last meal. God through Jesus instituted a NT Passover of bread and wine and he told his disciples to observe the bread and wine in memory of him.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I wrote this last night to follow post #140 but my internet was out, so here it is now:

People have the same confusion with regard to John 19:14.

Joh 19:14 And it was the preparation[paraskeue] of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!

Mark defines 'paraskeue' in Mk 15:42 as the day before the Sabbath.
This can only mean the seventh day Sabbath, or else he would have given further explanation. Paraskeve which is dervived from the Koine Greek 'paraskeue', means the sixth day in Greece, today, and has had that significance since the 1st century, because it had become a technical term which meant the day on which the Jews made preparations for the seventh day Sabbath. These were things such, as feeding their livestock, cooking meals, taking baths, lighting lamps, etc, which could not be done on the Sabbath, therefore, they had to 'prepare' before sunset.

John is simply telling us, in vs 14, that it was the seventh day Sabbath preparation during the week long Passover feast when Pilate presented the Lord Jesus to the people. There would be only one 'paraskeue' during the week long Passover feast and this was it. Therefore, John is informing us as to what day Christ was crucified which he demonstrates to be the day before the weekly Sabbath.

'paraskeue' as used in all four gospel accounts, always refers to the day before the seventh day Sabbath.
If one grabs hold of this truth, then it all falls into place and only then does John truly harmonize with the other three accounts.

If you would like further detail on this perspective, study Alfred Edersheim's "The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah" and A.T. Robertson's "Commentary on the Gospel of John".

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
-

The word "sabbath" does not always pertain to the routine sabbath. There
are also special sabbaths, sometimes referred to as consecrated days; e.g.
Yom Kippur, Feast of Trumpets, and at the beginning and the end of the
Feast of Unleavened Bread.

FYI: The beginning of the Feast of Unleavened Bread coincides with the night
of the Passover lamb; which of course makes lamb night a consecrated
night; viz: a sabbath night. (Ex 12:16)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Fine, but Mark informed us what he meant by 'the preparation/paraskeue' in Mk 15:42 and it means the day before the Sabbath. If Mark meant any other Sabbath than the seventh day, he would have said so, otherwise his effort in defining the term was a wasted effort.

achduke

For the sake of others who might read it and wonder, not understanding. To let them know this is not the Christian perspective.
I come here to dialogue and learn. How are we suppose to know your position if you never state it? We may not agree but it is helpful if we understand.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you realize Nisan 15 is a Sabbath, a holy assembly?

They departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month, on the day after the Passover the children of Israel went out with boldness in the sight of all the Egyptians. (Numbers 33:3 NKJV)​

The 15th departure was on the morning after the Passover meal the previous evening.

So this day shall be to you a memorial and you shall keep it as a feast to the LORD throughout your generations. You shall keep it as a feast by an everlasting ordinance.

Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread. On the first day you shall remove leaven from your houses. For whoever eats leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that person shall be cut off from Israel.

On the first day there shall be a holy convocation and on the seventh day there shall be a holy convocation for you. No manner of work shall be done on them, but that which everyone must eat—that only may be prepared by you. (Exodus 12:14-16 NKJV)​

This doesn't matter because 'paraskeue' is the day before the seventh day Sabbath.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Therefore, John is informing us as to what day Christ was crucified which he demonstrates to be the day before the weekly Sabbath.

Correct and three cheers for steko!
All we need to know is Jesus was crucified on Friday and was buried that night. He rose from the dead on Sunday. There is nothing complicated about this!
:wazzup:
You may know, or not know, the Jews are the most secular of people, because they place far more value on their heads than on their heats.

They are a people of great intellect and they make wonderful movies.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mark was a Jewish Christian writing to other Jewish Christians familiar with God's law through Moses. There was no explanation needed since adherents to Moses law had observed Passover for many centuries.

It is the law that defines the first day of Passover as a Sabbath.

The NT is written from a Jewish perspective and that is the way it must be understood.

If there was no explanation needed then why did Mark furnish an explanation in Mk 15:42?

There are explanations provided for many things in all four gospels.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

The Lord Jesus was born under the law and kept it.
He and His disciples ate the Passover lamb at GOD's appointed time for all Israel.