God Owes Us Big Time

allsmiles

this is what happens to christians like Lighthouse, they cannot comprehend ideas that do not fit into a pre-written blue print.

It controls their thoughts, they surrender their minds to it.

Caledvwlch

allsmiles said:
this is what happens to christians like Lighthouse, they cannot comprehend ideas that do not fit into a pre-written blue print.

Now, release your fear, hone your hatred, and destroy me!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:

Wrong again, buffoon.

What part of "I used to believe God was outside of time," did you not understand?! I beleived it. It was only when I tried to wrap my mind around what exactly that meant that I found it to be completely illogical!

Caledvwlch

Lighthouse said:
Wrong again, buffoon.

What part of "I used to believe God was outside of time," did you not understand?! I beleived it. It was only when I tried to wrap my mind around what exactly that meant that I found it to be completely illogical!
Is the buffoon part really necessary?

allsmiles

Lighthouse said:
Wrong again, buffoon.

And I said...

I wasn't so much commenting on the conversation as I was making a jab at you.

Sorry, I'll pipe down until I have something constructive to add to this. :D

Agape4Robin

monochrome said:
Isn't it safe to assume that if the christian god created all things, including the human comprehension of the idea of time, that simply being outside of time he already knows the outcome? If this were true than the damned be damned for the actions he has not yet seen from our perspective, but has seen from his.

Think of it like this. A playwrite writes his masterpiece. It's shakespearian with plot twists and pointless death scenes. He writes up characters, plot, and and end. He's seen it all already, even though it hasn't been acted yet, and he knows the bad guy was bad because, well, he killed that other guy. Then he condems them all to hell, anyway. This is christian predestination.

The best way to think about predestination, for me anyway, would be to see it as God sitting outside of time. He did not write the actions, but he did see them before they happened. The script wrote itself and he got to read it before we acted it out. It's an issue of perspective: time, and our inability to think outside it.

If you find this post to be meaningless, it's beacuase of the customers interrupting my train of thought, and I'm sorry.

- m -
I agree with you -m- . Just because God saw the future before it happens, doesn't make Him responsible for it. His omniscience does not impose on our free will. God is outside the parameters of time. Didn't He say that 1000 years is as a day and a day is as a 1000 years to HIm? Sounds like God does not hold to the limitations of time that we do.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:
You're soooooooooooooo funny Lighthouse.

That must explain all of your girlfriends.
Hey! I can count all the girlfriends I've ever had on one hand!:eek:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Agape4Robin said:
I agree with you -m- . Just because God saw the future before it happens, doesn't make Him responsible for it. His omniscience does not impose on our free will. God is outside the parameters of time. Didn't He say that 1000 years is as a day and a day is as a 1000 years to HIm? Sounds like God does not hold to the limitations of time that we do.
Good job of eisegesis.:rolleyes:

A day being as 1000 years to Him means that because He is eternal, He does not perceive time as we do. He never said that He doesn't experience the passage of time as we do. And if God knew exhaustively what we would do, then we could not do otherwise. Therefore, free will would be an illusion.