Give me biblical support for Christmas.

clefty

Amen, no scripture speaks of celebrating his birthday.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app

And many prohibiting it...from beware of times and laws changing to learn not the ways...

From "make no image" in exodus to Peter in acts and the other apostles Saying "We ought to obey God rather than men."

And more subtle ones too..."follow Me" He said...no Christmas Ham or tree there...

I especially like "His will be done on earth as it is in heaven" and well Christmas Ham certainly ain't there and the vanity of decorated trees and gifts is all made self evident...

clefty

No one knows. There's a 1/365 chance.
lol...were they even using the 365 day solar calendar?

Of course not. Martin Luther hadn't been born yet. :)
not really a proper Christmas is it then?

Sure, the wise men did. I can't speak for the shepherds. They might have simply come as they were called.
maybe if you read scripture more instead of watching Christmas movies you might realize the wise men came long after He was born...kinda late for the birth way too early for the 1st bday...

Back on your Catholic thing again. :plain: You should really find a priest to talk about that laundry list of yours. He might find it interesting.
they claim the last supper was the first mass...

Again the irony slips you...celebrating His birth with a mass of his death...

And well that is Christmas...according to the true Christians you are obligated to attend...hence the name Christ mass...but you play loose with rules...kinda reformed and protesting but kinda still doing what Rome does...

Not obeying God nor His "true Church" that gave you Christmas...you take its Christmas but not its salvation...and certainly not His

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Why does there need to be biblical support for celebrating the birth of Christ :rolleyes:

This debate is really a manipulation- what people are really trying to do is condemn an act of reverence to the Lord by bringing in legal nonsense which ultimately doesn't hold up.

If you'd rather have Christmas done away with, then it stands to reason that you ought to have the Sabbath done away with as well. But you don't, so that means you really just want to burden Christians with a false bias.

clefty

Why does there need to be biblical support for celebrating the birth of Christ :rolleyes:

This debate is really a manipulation- what people are really trying to do is condemn an act of reverence to the Lord by bringing in legal nonsense which ultimately doesn't hold up.

If you'd rather have Christmas done away with, then it stands to reason that you ought to have the Sabbath done away with as well. But you don't, so that means you really just want to burden Christians with a false bias.

You already claim the sabbath was done away with as well as the other festivals given to us...

And oh btw the difference is Sabbath is sanction by God and the Lord of the Sabbath...but still not finding the same for Christmas...sure is a lot of prohibitions for adding to the word like that...causing beliefs and behaviors He HATES...

Yup your manipulation of counterfeiting previous and prior Law and tradition...imagine that...a disrespect to tradition...

Just like the last supper is accepted because God the law giver, set it up and within, not counter, previous law...

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You already claim the sabbath was done away with as well as the other festivals given to us...

And oh btw the difference is Sabbath is sanction by God and the Lord of the Sabbath...but still not finding the same for Christmas...sure is a lot of prohibitions for adding to the word like that...causing beliefs and behaviors He HATES...

Yup your manipulation of counterfeiting previous and prior Law and tradition...imagine that...a disrespect to tradition...

Just like the last supper is accepted because God the law giver, set it up and within, not counter, previous law...

What are you talking about :freak:

I thought you were Catholic.
I guess not :chuckle:

Is your Sabbath on a Saturday? Do you celebrate Creation rather than Christ's New Beginning?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic

Are you sure you're having this conversation with me? Because on my end it's reading like a series of segues. :think:

And not the fun, capitalized kind that take you somewhere.

Too sober for yuh?

I'm not the one who posted my christmas tree ritual, that was all you.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Too sober for yuh?
Too disjointed. I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but you're not putting enough of it in the post for me to.

I'm not the one who posted my christmas tree ritual, that was all you.
Like that. I have no idea why you think that's relevant to this bit. And it's not a "ritual". It doesn't require a ceremony or series of actions in any meaningful sense. We choose an ornament for the tree that symbolizes a blessing. I was noting something in accord with a post you made on the subject. I suppose you could call a handshake a ritual if you wanted to strain toward an end...but what end?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
not really a proper Christmas is it then?
Which?

maybe if you read scripture more instead of watching Christmas movies you might realize the wise men came long after He was born.
And Christmas isn't alleged to fall on the literal day of his birth.

..kinda late for the birth way too early for the 1st bday...
Also, Christmas is a celebration of the birth, not an actual birthday party.

Again the irony slips you...celebrating His birth with a mass of his death...
You think you're getting past me? :eek: That's darn near endearing. I'm not missing what I'm not interested in considering. You'll have to take that up with someone invested in it.

And well that is Christmas...according to the true Christians you are obligated to attend...hence the name Christ mass...but you play loose with rules...kinda reformed and protesting but kinda still doing what Rome does...Not obeying God nor His "true Church" that gave you Christmas...you take its Christmas but not its salvation...and certainly not His
Nothing in that warrants much more than an equally thoughtful response: nah.

clefty

What are you talking about :freak:

I thought you were Catholic.
I guess not :chuckle:

Is your Sabbath on a Saturday? Do you celebrate Creation rather than Christ's New Beginning?

He celebrated His "new beginning" as at the creation...at rest...the first full day of the edenic covenant with man was Him resting on the seventh day Sabbath...and once He signed with His blood and sealed it with His death the first full day on the New Covenant Age found Him and His followers at rest on the Sabbath as still was the commandment...then He rose refreshed on it (Nothing is more refreshing than a glorified body)ready to appear for first fruits festival day...to His Father...

He was doing on earth as it is in Heaven...and asked we follow Him His way...

clefty

that first one...what is it without mass, tree, wise men gifts...not a proper Christ mass

And Christmas isn't alleged to fall on the literal day of his birth.
then why placed on dec 25th? Early Christians actually celebrated epiphany which came later but traditions do change...

Also, Christmas is a celebration of the birth, not an actual birthday party.
right a celebration of something not asked to be celebrated and actually asked we not do so as annual parties celebrating births were pagan thus HATED...you do notice how we are not asked to do it? Peter Paul st al didn't ask for His or their own...

Idolatry and Vanity they knew were actually asked of them NOT to practice...

You think you're getting past me? :eek: That's darn near endearing. I'm not missing what I'm not interested in considering. You'll have to take that up with someone invested in it.
oh I am not getting past you...just the irony of it being actually a Christ mass...

And now add to that the irony of it being what you feel so compelled to celebrate was giving to you by those you claim to protest...

And to think He asked you not to accept the way of heathens...

Nothing in that warrants much more than an equally thoughtful response: nah.

reject Him now...He will reject you then

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
that first one...what is it without mass, tree, wise men gifts...
Mine went fine. I expect most people who celebrated it had a good one. You...not so much.

then why placed on dec 25th?
Follow the thread of your question. If we don't know when, one day in honor of the event is as good as another. So, December 25th it is for most of Christendom.

right a celebration of something not asked to be celebrated
Which would mean something were it required, but as it isn't, doesn't. That said, the Bible made a fairly big deal of the birth too.

and actually asked we not do so
No, not really.

as annual parties celebrating births were pagan
As per one of my answers, most religions share more similarities than differences, as crucial as the distinctions in difference are.

thus HATED...you do notice how we are not asked to do it? Peter Paul st al didn't ask for His or their own...
I notice you don't notice that I disagree with your exegesis. As does most of Christendom, which is probably important to you, given your more serious points of divergence.

Idolatry and Vanity they knew were actually asked of them NOT to practice...
Which doesn't fairly characterize what's happening OUTSIDE of your noggin.

And now add to that the irony of it being what you feel so compelled to celebrate
I'm compelled in the sense that anything we find rewarding and enjoyable compels us.

was giving to you by those you claim to protest...
You're the only one protesting people. I have any number of disagreements with my Catholic brothers and sisters, but they aren't salvific and I don't "claim to protest". That's another pile of...straw you're spinning, if not into gold.

And to think He asked you not to accept the way of heathens...
You should read Tolkien and Lewis on the true Christian myth. It would do you good.

reject Him now...He will reject you then
The thing is, again, only one of us confuses your ways and your thoughts with His ways and His thoughts.

Merry Christmas :)

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Now I'm starting to feel bad for the Christians, maybe I been too hard on them. Well at least I did not ask them to biblically prove Easter or the Trinity; God knows they can't do those either.
Easter is a fertility goddess. :dizzy: God is triune (Is. 6:3). :poly:

clefty

Mine went fine.
good for you that is important...to you

I expect most people who celebrated it had a good one.
you would be surprised as how many don't and need the eggnog or something stronger to kill their conscience madness and/or loneliness...many are stressed anxious and frustrated and further in debt...
and You...not so much.
normal day...a bit saddened to see the amount of neglect and waste of these commercial holidaze...

Follow the thread of your question. If we don't know when, one day in honor of the event is as good as another. So, December 25th it is for most of Christendom.
as if the real date was unknown or impossible to better estimate...but hey good for them...convenient too

Which would mean something were it required, but as it isn't, doesn't.
so there it is...just as they wanted it...their tradition

That said, the Bible made a fairly big deal of the birth too.
yup and much less in fact nothing at all about still celebrating it...ironically the handing out of the the instructions NOT to keep it was pretty big...

No, not really.
yup and that's exactly the type of thinking that made Him have to be born to start with...and that attitude killed Him too...more compelled to its own traditions than to repent and keep His...

As per one of my answers, most religions share more similarities than differences, as crucial as the distinctions in difference are.
"You guys worship the Sun? How nice! We worship the SON! See how clever we are? Come lets party together shall we?"

I notice you don't notice that I disagree with your exegesis. As does most of Christendom, which is probably important to you, given your more serious points of divergence.
I notice...and that you make it about what you want...christendom wants...I want...yet nothing about what He wants...

Which doesn't fairly characterize what's happening OUTSIDE of your noggin.
please explain why you need a date to celebrate the birth? And props? And why now that you have a better approximation of that date why dec 25? I mean it is about His birth yes? or tradition?

I'm compelled in the sense that anything we find rewarding and enjoyable compels us.
Said Eve to herself taking the fruit and eating...compelled as every defiled mind since...is why we are to die to that compulsion and be reformed in Him become more like Him to find what HE finds as rewarding and enjoyable...and do IT...

You're the only one protesting people.
yes I have seen and heard the Protestants are giving up...giving in...going alone to get along is the new age....

I have any number of disagreements with my Catholic brothers and sisters, but they aren't salvific
really? NOT surprised you think that way...

and I don't "claim to protest". That's another pile of...straw you're spinning, if not into gold.
...lukewarm never will protest...

gold matters nothing...especially when the streets are made of it...what matters is that we get there because we wish to continue to live as He does...on earth as it is in heaven...

You should read Tolkien and Lewis on the true Christian myth. It would do you good.
the way you read scripture I can't trust you have understanding as to what is good...Christian myth...LOL so bored you need that now?

The thing is, again, only one of us confuses your ways and your thoughts with His ways and His thoughts.

Merry Christmas :)
the thing is again you are merely compelled to rewards and joy different than mine...