Freddie Gray – Records Indicate Spinal Injury Pre-existing

Granite

Hall of Fame
If you say so ...

Well that's exactly what you're saying. He was a crook; he ran; oh well. Stuff happens.

To recap: He didn't commit a crime by running, he didn't resist arrest, and he didn't sever his own spine.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well that's exactly what you're saying. He was a crook; he ran; oh well. Stuff happens.

Actually that is not what I said .... however, what you have implied here ...

To recap: He didn't commit a crime by running,

Is that police officers should stand down and allow any potential suspect who runs to get away without chase or intervention ...

Granite

Hall of Fame
Is that police officers should stand down and allow any potential suspect who runs to get away without chase or intervention.

Let's clear something up: The cops knew who Freddie Gray was. (How wouldn't they given that rap sheet of his you keep bringing up?) This wasn't some random dude they ran into or saw bolting from a convenience store. Witnesses say he made the mistake of making eye contact with one cop, then bolted. I suspect he wasn't in the mood for more grief that day. His mistake wasn't running fast enough. They had no reason to suspect him of a thing, but I'm sure he suspected if he stuck around he was in for a pretty lousy day.

Well, he was on to something. Wasn't he.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/04/28/freddie-grays-arrest-record-explains-why#.2nbi5t:r4ub

"His arrest record may explain why he ran. He’s known to police—and cops tend to come back to the people they know. Since he’s got significantly more arrests than convictions, perhaps that day he had less patience than usual at playing the role of job justification for a bunch of bored Baltimore cops. So he ran because he valued his freedom."

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let's clear something up: The cops knew who Freddie Gray was. (How wouldn't they given that rap sheet of his you keep bringing up?) Witnesses say he made the mistake of making eye contact with one cop, then bolted. I suspect he wasn't in the mood for more grief that day. His mistake wasn't running fast enough. They had no reason to suspect him of a thing, but I'm sure he suspected if he stuck around he was in for a pretty lousy day.

Exactly ... I have never stated that the incident shouldn't be investigated but rather that Freddie was responsible for the pursuit.

I would have much rather have seen the guy continue walking rather than acting as though he was committing a crime...

Granite

Hall of Fame
Exactly ... I have never stated that the incident shouldn't be investigated but rather that Freddie was responsible for the pursuit.

I would have much rather have seen the guy continue walking rather than acting as though he was committing a crime...

So the lesson we learn from this is: Don't look at cops, and don't even attempt to avoid being harassed by them. Just go with it and be a good little citizen and maybe you won't wind up dead.

Staying where you are is a good way for black people to get killed by the police. Freddie rolled the dice. He lost.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So the lesson we learn from this is: Don't look at cops, and don't even attempt to avoid being harassed by them. Just go with it and be a good little citizen and maybe you won't wind up dead.

Drama much? I said no such thing. Not everyone has the desire to flee ... it sort of walks hand in hand knowing one doesn't have a long history of arrests or fear of something they are currently doing.

Do you flee from cops? I don't.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Drama much? I said no such thing. Not everyone has the desire to flee ... it sort of walks hand in hand knowing one doesn't have a long history of arrests or fear of something they are currently doing.

Do you flee from cops? I don't.

Not everyone has Freddie Gray's history or reason to avoid the cops. And for the last time, nothing justifies what happens to him.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not everyone has Freddie Gray's history or reason to avoid the cops. And for the last time, nothing justifies what happens to him.

And for the last time, he had no justification to run.

Granite

Hall of Fame
And for the last time, he had no justification to run.

Sure he did. And he wasn't breaking the law doing it, either. What you're saying is that he's accountable for his actions...despite not committing a crime...even though he was brutalized while in police custody.

The difference is that my priority is holding the men who actually killed Gray responsible for their actions while you're focusing entirely on a guy who didn't break the law avoiding the cops, as was his right to do.

HisServant

He didn't deserve to die, but he took a tremendous risk by going against doctors orders and being out of bed and out of the house 1 week after his spinal surgery.

Someone walking down the sidewalk accidentally bumping into him could have cause the bone grafts to fail... and I am sure the cops didn't know of his feeble condition.

Once again, a great opportunity is squanders with the media and community organizers hitching their cause to the wrong horse.

Granite

Hall of Fame
What do you suppose would have happened if he didn't run?

Oh, maybe he would've "resisted arrest." Or "pulled a gun." Or made an officer "fear for his life." Or any of the other excuses they've used to kill people and get away with it.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, maybe he would've "resisted arrest." Or "pulled a gun." Or made an officer "fear for his life." Or any of the other excuses they've used to kill guys just like him and get away with it.

Riggghhhttt. You conveniently forget "maybe he would have continued to walk to his destination without incident".

Granite

Hall of Fame
Riggghhhttt. You conveniently forget "maybe he would have continued to walk to his destination without incident".

Because, as we know, in cities like Baltimore black men can walk wherever they like without fear of the police.:rolleyes:

Tinark

Is that police officers should stand down and allow any potential suspect who runs to get away without chase or intervention ...

What crime was he suspected of? Are you justifying that police are allowed to go fishing for crimes whenever they want? "He's running, so let's randomly search his person to attempt to discover a crime?"

No, sorry, you may be unware but we have a constitution protecting us from unreasonable searches and seizures, which the courts have interpreted as requiring probable cause that a specific crime was committed.

There was no probable cause that Freddie had committed a crime. There were no reports that he had committed a crime. The officers did not witness any crime. They are _NOT_ allowed to go fishing with a search just because someone engages in suspicious behavior, behavior which in and of itself is perfectly legal.

Tinark

Interesting, so you are saying we should live in a police state, where people should be harassed for legal actions and behaviors and searched whenever the authorities desire it, without having any reason to suspect a specific crime?

You sound exactly like a rape apologist: "Maybe she shouldn't have been wearing such provocative clothing in that part of town. Had she avoided that area and covered herself up better she would've made it home safe without incident."

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because, as we know, in cities like Baltimore black men can walk wherever they like without fear of the police.:rolleyes:

Well :duh: ... that is because unlike white men, the black guys never break any laws.

After all, it's always about race. :plain: