Freak challenges "The Plot" over miracles

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
The new title for this thread should be...

"Freak has only a superficial understanding of The Plot over miracles"

subtitle

It doesn't matter, he's still wrong anyway!

godrulz -

What about you? Your still reading The Plot right? Don't have time to read that chapter and copy down the main points about what Bob found to be a biblical miracle?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I am sorry but I have been busy and tired and have not been reading Plot. When I do, it is a couple of pages at a time, because I want to understand the teaching and look up verses.

Freak

Originally posted by godrulz

The love chapter is in the context of spiritual gifts (I Cor. 12-14). It is not about love in marriage. It is about the use and misuse of spiritual gifts in the Corinthian church. It is not a diatribe against spiritual gifts for the modern church. Context will not allow you to use any verse in I Cor. 13 to argue against the reality or validity of miracles or spiritual gifts (the 'scholars' who use it as an anti-Pentecostal proof text are pathetic exegetes).

The perfect is not the closed canon of Scripture. The perfect comes at the Second Coming of Christ for His Bride, not at the end of the first century.
Excellent. :up: The perfect one is Jesus Himself--

Freak

Re: O ye of little faith.......

Re: O ye of little faith.......

Originally posted by freelight

Regarding definitions of 'miracle' -

Zakath quotes:

1Way's accepted defintion of miracle:
"An event that supercedes (sic) natural or supernatural law"
- from post 263

Jay Bartlett's accepted definition of a miracle:
"an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs"
- from post 266

Freak writes:

From post #18...

According to the Dictionary, a miracle is defined as:

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin miraculum, from Latin, a wonder, marvel, from mirari to wonder at
Date: 12th century
1 : an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs

According to this definition a miracle would include the new birth along inner healing, deliverance from demons, physical healing, etc. Christ indwelling the believer, for example, is a "an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs." Christ intervened in human affairs and manifested an extraordinary event--the new birth.

:crow: )=============== I think the broader more general accepted defintion of what a miracle is .... is acceptable here as Freak and godrulz understanding of miracles is much more in sync and spirit with the NT than a limiting dispensational view which denies miracles as happening in this age of grace outright. God is at work everywhere in our world and lives....in the natural dynamics of life....and supernatural....even transcendental - Gods presence and glory is in all dimensions! What folly of man to no longer have faith in Gods infinite power and the faith of Christ that abides in his soul thru the Holy Spirit - that anointed treasure that lies within these earthen vessels! What a shame....and a lack of spiritual understanding of the inheritance we have in the Anointed One...and the charismas of His Spirit which He has certainly anointed His church with to do the works of God in the earth. Hence Jesus says....'when the Son of Man returns to earth...WILL HE FIND FAITH?' (paraphrase).

Jesus teaches faith......a kind that inspires miracles and the unlimited power of God. Jesus says signs will follow those who believe. Miracles of all kinds on all levels of being, in all dimensions of experience ...transpire for those who abide in faith, in grace, in Christ.

If you choose to call yourselves believers...then it would be logical to become spiritually adjusted to the attitude of faith...which would then qualify you to 'actually' become believers of the Lord Jesus and true to his teachings....instead of 'biblically correct' patrons of a brand of theology ....while denying the power of God.

"Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them and you will have them.'

- Jesus

The majority of miracles(on all levels) happen in this NT dispensation of grace thru the dynamics of faith and the Holy Spirit.

For those who deny this....only shows their lack of trusting in the power of God...and the release of the dynamic of faith in seeing God move and act in the midst of His people. This lack of faith is sin according to one apostle. The power, glory and anointing of God rests upon the the body of His Christ....who are anointed and empowered in this day and age....to do the works of God....therefore the truth shall arrest those convicted....and by a miracle shall usher them into this holy dimension of the Spirits power.

I would rather be found to have an overabundance of faith than none or little. Jesus could not do the works of God in some regions for their faith was little. Faith is an essential part of the inspiration of miracles in many cases in this dispensation...and by it...we enter into the pleasures of God....and the dynamic that governs and sustains all creative interplays - the laws of light, energy, mind, spirit - these mediate the frequencies which govern manifestation. God can certainly do miracles apart from mans exercise of faith....however in this age...he chooses to allow man the privelege to exercise what he divinely gives them....thru cooperation and covenant rights.

Will Christ come to you or your church...and say 'O ye of little faith?'

This is why I have expounded on the element of faith relative to miracles in this thread.....as it seems to be overlooked here. Without faith....is it possible to please God? And those that limit faith should even be more careful of limiting not only God given faith...but by association and source the very power of God!

paul
Appreciate your work and posts,
Paul. :up:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Freak
This is something I have done hundreds of times. This would be considered a miracle in the eyes of Jesus. As Jesus equated the ministry of casting out demons as a miracle. Some of the miracles I have on video were witnessed by scores of people.
The Biblical evidence indicates that the majority of people who witness miracles hate God and persecute those who perform them. If this is not the case for those who witnessed your exorcism then I take that as direct evidence that it was not real (although I do not doubt that you believe it to have been quite real. In other words, I’m not calling you a liar).

And this has been a problem. Because my belief in the reality of miracles is rooted in Scripture not in experience. Yet, you're wanting me to share stories and link you to realities of physical miracles. I could do that all day and you could dismiss them for one reason or another. But with Scripture as our standard one can be convinced of this absolute truth....

Scripture is our objective truth standard not physical evidence. There is no physical evidence of the nature of the Trinity, yet we believe it due to the reality of the Scriptures.

Freak, why do you try to miss the point? Are you here just to be arguing or are you actually trying to learn something by spending this much time and energy? I never said that my belief is based on physical evidence nor did I deny the absolute truth of the scripture. I am merely coming at this topic from a direction that can more easily avoid the emotional pitfalls of attempting to hash out the differing doctrinal interpretations of Scripture.
My entire point is that I have a curtain understanding of scripture on this issue (I agree with Bob Enyart) and you have an opposing view of Scripture and that’s all well and good. The problem is that both of our interpretations of Scripture predict that certain things either will or will not happen and so an excellent test for who's Biblical interpretation is correct is to see who's predictions turn out to be right.
You say creative physical miracles should be evident in the church today. If there is no evidence then you are wrong and so is your Biblical interpretations.
I say that there should not be evident and if evidence is produced then I am wrong and so are my interpretations.
So far you have shown exactly zero even remotely verifiable evidence.
Therefore I have both the testimony of Scripture and the testimony implicit in the absence of any physical evidence the contrary.

Ok. You disagree then show me where I'm wrong. Nobody has accomplished that yet. I find it strange that nobody has dealt with the Scriptural foundation of my belief that miracles occur today. It speaks volumes.
It speaks nothing except that nobody finds it necessary to do so.
If you have in fact read and understood "The Plot" then you have already been shown where you are wrong and no further showing would be of any value to you or anyone else on this thread.

Ok. Here is a well documented physical evidence of a miracle that I have mentioned 3 times now. Deal with this:

Were there miracles on the set of THE PASSION during filming?

(A) Mel Gibson states in an interview, "There have been a lot of unusual things happening, good things like people being healed of diseases, a couple of people have had sight and hearing restored, another guy was struck by lightning while we were filming the crucifixion scene and he just got up and walked away."

http://www.passion-movie.com/english/faq3.html
Do you know what the VARIFIABLE means?
This quote gives no names of those who experienced these miracles or even of those who witnessed them. Imagine that! Someone got struck by lightning on one of Mel Gibson's movie sets and it never even made on the evening news! A movie, by the way, that was specifiaclly about acts of God! Now that's a miracle!

You have put experience before the truth of Scripture. You have it all twisted. If the Bible says it then we believe it and it's not because the physical evidence proves it. This is why we believe miracles are for today--because the Scriptural evidence not because of the physical evidence. The just shall live by faith not by sight.
See above for my reaction to all but the last sentence of this paragraph.
"The just shall live by faith, not by sight."
When miracles happen, are they not seen? Is a miracles not direct undeniable proof of the existence of God? This passage of scripture is as good as any to explain why miracles have stopped happening! God wants for people to have faith "for without faith it is impossible to please God". Miracles do away with a need for faith and therefore make it more difficult to come to God. The more miracles that happen the more evil the people who witness them become (generally speaking).

Should be read: Resting in His physical evidence. :kookoo:
You miss the point again! Although I'm happy to see that someone finally noticed my slightly modified closing that I've been using exclusively on this thread.
Ever ask the question, "Why did Jesus respond "My Grace is sufficient for you." when Paul asked to be healed?
If this response was proper for Paul, why isn't it proper for the rest of the Body of Christ?

Resting in His sufficient Grace,
Clete

Last edited:

drbrumley

Ever ask the question, "Why did Jesus respond "My Grace is sufficient for you." when Paul asked to be healed?
If this response was proper for Paul, why isn't it proper for the rest of the Body of Christ?

Now that is a great question. Keep it going Clete! Good Job:thumb:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Paul's case was a very specific 'thorn in the flesh/messenger from Satan'. It is not a normative didactic passage, but a historical narrative. Apart from extreme Word-Faith, Pentecostals are not claiming that everyone will be healed all the time. The world and spiritual reality is complex and cannot be reduced to a formula (nor can the person of God). Finding an example of someone who is not healed does not negate the examples in Scripture or modern times of those who are healed. You guys are usually smarter than that. I don't get why you would use the example of Timothy being left sick or Paul having a thorn for a God-given purpose to try to negate dozens of explicit healing and miracle verses. This seems like an anti-intellectual, willful blindness to preserve "The Plot's" simplistic conclusions that cannot stand up to scrutiny (Scripture/experience).

This is a similar exegetical error as saying Acts 16:31 is a generic promise (didactic principle) rather than a specific case (historical narrative). You can claim the verse all you want, but it will not absolutely guarantee that everyone in your family will become Christians (free will trumps this...it is a proof text out of context to make it a universal promise; cf. saying that Paul was not delivered, so noone should expect to ever be healed).

1Way

DrBrumley - Sorry if I missed your responses, but I missed any responses to what I have been saying about one of your responses to my question (though sometimes my remarks about you were directed at godrulz or Freak, still I continue in hopes of hearing from you).

Did your present your explanation of what a miracle is, the way that you did, as briefly as you did, for a specific reason? And was it the one I suggested? (To see if Freak even understands what it means. To see if Freak even challenges that idea or not.) If not, why?

And, do you agree with me that it is usually a good idea when debating "an" issue, to have a fairly mutual understanding about what the topic actually is. Some people think that just about anything is a miracle and others are far more biblically strict. So far, everyone on the opposing side (of Enyart) is largely ignorant of 1) the differences involved, and also 2) of the honorable method for seeking out the truth of the matter from God's word.

1Way

godrulz - Not normative, ??? That is a pretty thin response.

Like even you said earlier, miracles tapered off towards the end of the first century, that is a comprehensive and accurate statement, that represents what was to be expected, that is what a norm is. Early in the first century, physical healing would have been considered a very dull miracle, but after all that was ending, healings and signs and such seemed to have all but disappeared, i.e. became not normative. (!!!)

If I have the facts right, Paul had physical illness, not just a spiritual torment, bad eyesight for example. And wasn't most of the 12 and Paul killed and thousands of believing Christians tortured and persecuted without (biblically accurate) miracles saving them as more like the norm prior to when the miracles were ceasing.

And it's not about what YOU expect about miracles, so much as what God's word teaches about them that matter. We see God's brilliant consistency by stopping with miracles, but some do not. If there is a really good reason for God to stop doing miracles the way He did, then our expectations for miracles may be fully beside the point. First understand God and His ways, then form your faith and expectations accordingly.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Paul's case was a very specific 'thorn in the flesh/messenger from Satan'. It is not a normative didactic passage, but a historical narrative. Apart from extreme Word-Faith, Pentecostals are not claiming that everyone will be healed all the time. The world and spiritual reality is complex and cannot be reduced to a formula (nor can the person of God). Finding an example of someone who is not healed does not negate the examples in Scripture or modern times of those who are healed. You guys are usually smarter than that. I don't get why you would use the example of Timothy being left sick or Paul having a thorn for a God-given purpose to try to negate dozens of explicit healing and miracle verses. This seems like an anti-intellectual, willful blindness to preserve "The Plot's" simplistic conclusions that cannot stand up to scrutiny (Scripture/experience).

This is a similar exegetical error as saying Acts 16:31 is a generic promise (didactic principle) rather than a specific case (historical narrative). You can claim the verse all you want, but it will not absolutely guarantee that everyone in your family will become Christians (free will trumps this...it is a proof text out of context to make it a universal promise; cf. saying that Paul was not delivered, so noone should expect to ever be healed).
Non responsive!

The question was...
Why did Jesus respond "My Grace is sufficient for you." when Paul asked to be healed?

This seems like an anti-intellectual, willful blindness to preserve "The Plot's" simplistic conclusions that cannot stand up to scrutiny (Scripture/experience).
You have this backward my friend! I could say this exact same thing about your position except that I would have the advantage of being able to also say the following...

I still have no verifiable evidence of even a single physical miracle happening today, which your position demands must be in abundence.

Clete

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Why assume that miracles were a dime a dozen in biblical times? It might seem like that since we are getting a condensed history (Mark was fast paced and seems like miracles were common place, when they probably were not). The volume of miracles is not an issue. It is wrong to assume that the tapering of miracles was a dispensational necessity, rather than the Church's zeal and truth being dulled by an unbelieving world or Catholicism, for example. This does not account for the modern revivals and outpouring of the Spirit that is well documented.

We live in a spiritual warzone with casualties. We live in bodies that are not glorified. Saying that the apostles were sick or died only confirms the warfare model proposed by Open Theist Greg Boyd. This is not an argument against the validity of healing and miracles for today. Resurrection is the ultimate hope, but God still gives us tokens or wholeness and healing along the way (i.e. being healed of cancer or having the lame instantly walk enhances quality of life until we inevitably did...residual consequence of the Fall). Healing, miracles, death, disease, suffering are not mutually exclusive, but are part of our experience between the cradle and the grave.

The Word rightly promises us suffering, persecution, death, AND healing and miracles (at God's discretion..not normative, but certainly possible and in fact happening).

What is the supposedly good reason for God to stop being God as revealed in Christ? What is the Scriptural or logical argument necessitating an anti-supernaturalistic world view in favor of a functionally atheistic naturalistic worldview? i.e. why would the supernatural God birth His church in power with spiritual giftings, only to quickly withdraw them. There is another possiblity. It was not God's intent or fault that truth and the Spirit's ministry became diluted or despised.

1Way

a dime a dozen???

a dime a dozen???

godrulz - You are honoring a tradition that is not cogent with scripture, you said
Why assume that miracles were a dime a dozen in biblical times? It might seem like that since we are getting a condensed history (Mark was fast paced and seems like miracles were common place, when they probably were not). The volume of miracles is not an issue. It is wrong to assume that the tapering of miracles was a dispensational necessity, rather than the Church's zeal and truth being dulled by an unbelieving world or Catholicism, for example. This does not account for the modern revivals and outpouring of the Spirit that is well documented.
What is this about a dime a dozen? The bible does not remotely reflect such an idea, and neither do we! What exactly are you thinking about when you say that?

"The church's zeal and truth being dulled by an unbelieving world", ,,, They hated and eventually KILLED Christ, do you think THAT was an unbelieving worldly event, yet that did not dissuade God from donig miracles back then, although they did swain soon after, but not primarily because of the world's unbelief dulling the church's zeal. That is such an unbiblical remark, but it is highly reflective of a manmade tradition. The bible does not indicate that miracles are in any way dependent upon the faith or lack there of in the world, in fact, most of the OT refutes your notion in the highest degree, because the unbelieving nations were usually the ones that God miraculously wiped out, God's miracles even plagued Israel like 40 years of eating manna hot cakes, and manna juicies and manna side dishes and manna after manna after more manna, and other such notables, like opening up the earth and swallowing them up. Often, unbelief was the precurser to a biblical miracle, so your answer is a high consentration of manmade error, and wishful thinking.

I hope you are getting a clue here, if you want to have a good and godly faith, it needs to conform to God and His word, not man and his word.

I said
Early in the first century, physical healing would have been considered a very dull miracle, but after all that was ending, healings and signs and such seemed to have all but disappeared, i.e. became not normative. (!!!)
Water was turned into wine, Jesus walked on water, the dead was raised, unformed stub limbs grew out into being full formed hands, the blind could see, the death could hear, the lame could walk, Jesus went rocketed out of sight without rockets, Jesus rose from the dead, lepers were healed, I mean come on already, these sorts of things have not occurred since they were recorded in bible times. And to have the 12 and Paul and their converts sick and slaughtered after the many miracles earlier in their lives, is a tremendous shift in norms.

Last edited:

Freak

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

The Biblical evidence indicates that the majority of people who witness miracles hate God and persecute those who perform them.
That may happen at times. So. The preaching of the cross is offensive too, should we not preach the gospel because most will hate it? Perhaps 1Way would be a better person to debate this subject with. You started off terrible.

We are told miracles testify of the Lord Jesus and His salvation...

This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Here we are told God uses miracles for His purposes, yet you desire to do away with them. Bizarre...

The apostle John penned these words..

Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name.

It was because of people seeing the miracles that people "believed in His name."

Miracles glorify God, Clete. They do not dishonor Him. So, why in the world would you teach that miracles have disappeared when we are told in Scripture that miracles bring honor & glory to God? Flawed theology you have there, Clete.

If this is not the case for those who witnessed your exorcism then I take that as direct evidence that it was not real (although I do not doubt that you believe it to have been quite real. In other words, I’m not calling you a liar).
People doubted Jesus raising from the dead. People doubt the inerrancy of Scripture. People, like yourself, like to doubt the things of God. This is not unusual. Yet, in Holy Scripture we are told...

...that spiritual gifts are given to serve the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:7; 14:26), to equip people to share the gospel (Matthew 10:19,20; Luke 4:18; 1 Corinthians 2:13), and to show God's compassion and concern for His people (examples: Matthew 14:13-14; 20:29-34; Mark 1:40-42). Surely these needs still exist. Clete, you do believe these needs still exist--healing, deliverance, etc???? If they do then you have to agree that the present church has these gifts which include the gift of miracles.

Clete, it appears the Holy Scriptures do not make any distinction between what we call the "supernatural" gifts and the other "less" supernatural gifts (Note that they appear mixed together in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:28). You are seperating some gifts (i.e. gifts of miracles) from the others when the Biblical warrant isn't there. If we are going to deny the operation of "supernatural" gifts in this day, then it seems logical to deny all the gifts of the Spirit mentioned in these passages (not just some).

The "supernatural" gifts were not just the possession of the apostles in the Bible. Other non-apostles also were given supernatural gifts by the Spirit. (Take for example Luke 9:49-50 or Philip's use of the gifts in Acts 8:6,7,13). Were you aware of this????

If the primary purpose of miracles was to authenticate the Scriptures, as they ceased at the closing of the Canon, then why did any one else have a ministry of signs and wonders or miracles? Why did God give gifts of healing and miracles to the church? (1 Cor. 12:7-10; Gal. 3:5). I have never read or heard of a sufficient answer to that question. The church is still present and there is no reason to believe He doesn't give His church gifts that include the gifts of miracles.

If Jesus’ miracles were sufficient to authenticate him as the Son of God and to authenticate his message, why did the apostles have to do miracles? The standard reply is that the apostles had to do miracles to show that they were trustworthy witnesses to Jesus Christ and trustworthy teachers of doctrine. But why couldn’t they just preach about the miracles as much of the church does today? Can’t we be regarded as trustworthy witnesses today without doing miracles? If we can, then why did the apostles need miracles?

I never said that my belief is based on physical evidence nor did I deny the absolute truth of the scripture.
Ah!! Good. No need to talk about experiences. Let's start here from the truth of God's Word...

Paul speaking to the church under the New Covenant asked..You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? Have you suffered so much for nothing--if it really was for nothing? Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?

Paul understood the reality of miracles in the early church. He acknowledged it. Miracles are for the church as seen in 1 Corinthians 12 where he teaches that the church would be given the gift of miracles...

Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

So the question remains: If the primary purpose of miracles was to authenticate the Scriptures, as they ceased at the closing of the Canon, then why did any one else have a ministry of signs and wonders or miracles? Why did God give gifts of healing and miracles to the church? (1 Cor. 12:7-10; Gal. 3:5). I have never read or heard of a sufficient answer to that question. The church is still present and there is no reason to believe He doesn't give His church gifts that include the gifts of miracles.

I am merely coming at this topic from a direction that can more easily avoid the emotional pitfalls of attempting to hash out the differing doctrinal interpretations of Scripture.

Interpretation? Huh? There is only one and the clarity of it is what you're sadly missing.

My entire point is that I have a curtain understanding of scripture on this issue (I agree with Bob Enyart)
See this is where the problem is rooted in. You have understood this subject through the lens of Enyart's teachings, where I have understood this teaching on miracles through the simple reading of God's Word. This is what I would recommend you doing. Put away the Ploy book and get into God's Word with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

The problem is that both of our interpretations of Scripture predict that certain things either will or will not happen and so an excellent test for who's Biblical interpretation is correct is to see who's predictions turn out to be right.

Predictions? God's Word has spoken clearly and you are blinded to it. He has given His Church spiritual gifts that include the gift of miracles to serve humanity.

You say creative physical miracles should be evident in the church today. If there is no evidence then you are wrong and so is your Biblical interpretations.
There is evidence from Scripture. Your missing the obvious. If the Scripture states it then we believe it. We don't question God based on physical evidence or the lack thereof, Clete. For example: God's Word teaches God is triune in nature. Yet what physical evidence is there that proves God is triune besides Scriptural truth?

I say that there should not be evident and if evidence is produced then I am wrong and so are my interpretations.
So far you have shown exactly zero even remotely verifiable evidence.
Evidence is found in Scripture not in experience.

Under the New Covenant, the superior covenant, we are taught numerous times of the reality of spiritual gifts and miracles. In fact...

At least six times in Paul’s writings he either commands Christians to follow his example as he follows Christ’s example, or he approves of those who follow his example (1 Cor. 4:16-17; 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 4:9; 1 Thess. 1:6; 2 Thess. 3:9). Paul did not make a distinction between those elements in his life that were miraculous and those that are not viewed as miraculous. Paul copied Christ. Christ had miraculous elements in his life, and so did Paul. Clete, are we only to imitate those nonmiraculous elements in the lives of Jesus and Paul? Are they simply to be examples for moral living but not for miraculous ministry? Paul makes no such distinction when he exhorts us to imitate him.

If you have in fact read and understood "The Plot" then you have already been shown where you are wrong
I don't dervive truth in the Plot book. I dervive truth from the Holy Scripture. Enyart, in regards to this issue, is way off base as evident in the clear teachings of God's Word.

This quote gives no names of those who experienced these miracles or even of those who witnessed them. Imagine that!
This film is being looked upon by many enemies and no one has proven that what Mel Gibson is claiming is in fact a lie. Quite the opposite many news organizations and people who were present at the set testified to these miracles.

Someone got struck by lightning on one of Mel Gibson's movie sets and it never even made on the evening news!
Huh? Many news outlets have reported the various miracles that have occured on the set.

Miracles do away with a need for faith and therefore make it more difficult to come to God.
No it doesn't. Where did you get this from? Enyart materials? God's Word says:

Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

The more miracles that happen the more evil the people who witness them become (generally speaking).

Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went. Philip went down to a city in Samaria and proclaimed the Christ there. When the crowds heard Philip and saw the miraculous signs he did, they all paid close attention to what he said. With shrieks, evil spirits came out of many, and many paralytics and cripples were healed. So there was great joy in that city.

I don't know of one person who personally experienced a miracle of deliverance or healing who turned evil. If anything they were thankful and joyful to God.

Sometimes God chooses not to heal. So? But often times God heals and your point?

Resting in the testimony of Jesus Christ and God's Word--our only objective truth standard--Freak

Freak

Exactly.

What is the supposedly good reason for God to stop being God as revealed in Christ? What is the Scriptural or logical argument necessitating an anti-supernaturalistic world view in favor of a functionally atheistic naturalistic worldview? i.e. why would the supernatural God birth His church in power with spiritual giftings, only to quickly withdraw them. There is another possiblity. It was not God's intent or fault that truth and the Spirit's ministry became diluted or despised.
:chuckle:

1Way

It's sufficient and appropriate for Paul, but not for those who seek/promote miracles

It's sufficient and appropriate for Paul, but not for those who seek/promote miracles

Clete - About their claims of abundant miracles, I agree, yet that is their strongest point, they allow for their dubious claims to be believed true, while we doubt or disbelieve the same claims. That is yet another reason we should have a solid understanding of what constitutes a biblical miracle as opposed to what does not. Great point about Christ's grace being sufficient when Paul's request for healing was denied. Is there ANY other place in the bible that God answered back his top man in such a way? I mean one guy got 10 years added to his life, two guys never saw death, Christ was healing death for goodness sakes, but all of a sudden Paul wants to be able to see well again and the answer is no. Someone else has stomach ills, and the answer is, drink some wine for your problems, not, ask God for a miraculous healing. And such things do not represent a shift in norms. Bahh, godrulz is being closed minded to the ways of God because of religious sounding manmade doctrines. I hope God's grace and God's word will help him see the way though it all!

And if we have a choice, morally speaking that is, shouldn't we rather NOT seek after miracles? I thought that Jesus made that issue one of unbelief and wickedness, to expect good faith to be generated from miracles. :think:

Freak

Re: It's sufficient and appropriate for Paul, but not for those who seek/promote miracles

Re: It's sufficient and appropriate for Paul, but not for those who seek/promote miracles

Originally posted by 1Way

Clete - About their claims of abundant miracles, I agree, yet that is their strongest point,
This is where your madness steps in. Employ your mind and stop reacting out of emotion, 1Way. Our strongest point for the belief in miracles is Holy Scripture not a Enyart video or booklet.

And if we have a choice, morally speaking that is, shouldn't we rather NOT seek after miracles?
Again reacting out of emotion instead of Biblical reasoning...

This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Miracles testify of the Lord Jesus and His salvation. We don't seek miracles, we seek Jesus who is our miracle of healing, deliverance, salvation...

I thought that Jesus made that issue one of unbelief and wickedness, to expect good faith to be generated from miracles.
Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Re: a dime a dozen???

Re: a dime a dozen???

Originally posted by 1Way

godrulz - You are honoring a tradition that is not cogent with scripture, you said
What is this about a dime a dozen? The bible does not remotely reflect such an idea, and neither do we! What exactly are you thinking about when you say that?

"The church's zeal and truth being dulled by an unbelieving world", ,,, They hated and eventually KILLED Christ, do you think THAT was an unbelieving worldly event, yet that did not dissuade God from donig miracles back then, although they did swain soon after, but not primarily because of the world's unbelief dulling the church's zeal. That is such an unbiblical remark, but it is highly reflective of a manmade tradition. The bible does not indicate that miracles are in any way dependent upon the faith or lack there of in the world, in fact, most of the OT refutes your notion in the highest degree, because the unbelieving nations were usually the ones that God miraculously wiped out, God's miracles even plagued Israel like 40 years of eating manna hot cakes, and manna juicies and manna side dishes and manna after manna after more manna, and other such notables, like opening up the earth and swallowing them up. Often, unbelief was the precurser to a biblical miracle, so your answer is a high consentration of manmade error, and wishful thinking.

I hope you are getting a clue here, if you want to have a good and godly faith, it needs to conform to God and His word, not man and his word.

I said Water was turned into wine, Jesus walked on water, the dead was raised, unformed stub limbs grew out into being full formed hands, the blind could see, the death could hear, the lame could walk, Jesus went rocketed out of sight without rockets, Jesus rose from the dead, lepers were healed, I mean come on already, these sorts of things have not occurred since they were recorded in bible times. And to have the 12 and Paul and their converts sick and slaughtered after the many miracles earlier in their lives, is a tremendous shift in norms.

Haste makes waste. Thank you for reminding me I am not always as clear as I could be. "Dime a dozen" is a saying that probably means they are not worth much. This was not my intent (oops). I meant that miracles were not occurring every minute of every day of the ministry of Jesus and the disciples (we agree). Likewise, we do not need to say that miracles must be frequent and the norm to establish that they happen in the post-apostolic era. Nor do they have to be the same caliber as the incarnate Deity's were. His miracles were often signs to illustrate a truth (see John). The miracles today can be as dramatic as the one's in Christ's ministry (because you are not personally aware of them does not mean they do not happen...I gave one example...Nita Edwards...the evidence is there, but you do not have it in front of you, so you assume it is a lie...watch the slander...I am satisfied it is true).

What I meant by the church becoming dull through the centuries is not a reflection on God's ability. Rather, it is a documented decline due to many factors that necessistated things like Councils to combat heresy, Reformation to counter Catholic politics, revivals to breath new life, printing press to get the Word to the common people, etc. Constantine and his crusades were problematic (outward vs genuine conversions). It is no wonder the church was not doing the works of Christ or open to the Spirit if it was primarily pagan and nominal. The development of clergy-laity separation, heresies like Arianism, the rise of the Catholic church, etc. all contributed to the church being less than it was meant to be. The Reformation restored the right focus. The Pentecostal revivals at the turn of last century (Azusa Street, etc.) and the charismatic movement in the 1960s and the Jesus People revival in the 1970s restored a needed emphasis on the person and work of the Spirit. Edwards, Wesley, Finney, etc. emphasized evangelism and others birthed the modern missionary movement. It is indisputable that the Church drifted from its solid start (and I would argue this as a possible explanation for the decreased frequency of miracles) and God raised up men and movements in the last 2000 years to reemphasize great truths.

I respect all denominations and traditions. I happen to be part of the Pentecostal tradition because of my understanding of Scripture and personal experience (largest segment of the Body of Christ...what does that tell you...no....the majority of genuine Christians are not deceived by the devil). There are liberal churches in the land that do not preach the gospel nor see the work of the Spirit. This is not an argument against the veracity and validity of the Gospel or the work of the Spirit (I also believe that the Gospel and signs and wonders are related...He still confirms His Word with signs following. He still loves His children and the lost and can and does heal at times).

You refer to OT judgments. The book of Revelation has similar judgments. I am not sure the relevance to the miracle issue? Paul dying is not a shift in norms. It is the experience of the miracle-working Master and His followers. You are assuming a shift and only one possible explanation. I contend that God intended to continue the work of Christ through the Church by the Spirit as well as see the Kingdom advance faster and further than it did (an Open Theist should be able to accept this possibility). The explanation why more are not converted or more miracles are not happening is not related to the plan or will of God, as much as the opposition of the enemy and the rationalistic influence from the world. It is no coincidence that Eastern religious converts (or African) continue to experience the supernatural more than North Americans. There world view resonates with the spiritual realm, whereas ours does not (this does not mean that God does not do His thing despite our unbelief and academic postulates).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Re: Re: It's sufficient and appropriate for Paul, but not for those who seek/promote miracles

Re: Re: It's sufficient and appropriate for Paul, but not for those who seek/promote miracles

Originally posted by Freak

Exact reference so our friends can look it up in context. Obviously, miracles were done by Christ to facilitate faith, not to deceive or harden hearts (that happens because of man's stupidity, not God's flaw).

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Freak,

I am through!

You repeatedly ignore the entire point of my argument and I therefore conclude that you are unable to produce anything that will permit the verification of a single physical miracle, which your position clearly indicates should be present in abundance. What the crap would anyone need with a physical miracle where there is no evidence that it ever happened?
I will not go round and round in circles while you obfuscate and hide from the fact that without such evidence your Biblical position, no matter how well argued, is a house of cards on a foundation of a sand.

Clete

godrulz

Hall of Fame
There is no need to assume miracles should be in abundance. There are seasons of the Spirit. We could not handle a divine invasion (revival) 24/7. We would get no sleep. Regardless, hundreds of millions of charismatic Christians know the person and work of the Spirit. You know Christ, but limit the Spirit's work in your midst. I want the fulness of the Gospel, not just justification. He brings wholeness to the whole man. Sorry we were not able to be more helpful. If you seek the Father, He will reveal Jesus, who will point you to the Spirit's work. If you ask for the Spirit, He promised you would not be given a stone.

The Spirit is not just for a sideshow. Acts 1:8; 2:4 Who would not want the release of the Spirit that we may have power/dunamis to be a more effective witness. The package may include speaking in tongues. I hope this does not ruffle your theology too much.