Freak challenges "The Plot" over miracles

drbrumley

Originally posted by 1Way

IWay,

Sorry for not seeing this post till today.

Sorry if I missed your responses, but I missed any responses to what I have been saying about one of your responses to my question (though sometimes my remarks about you were directed at godrulz or Freak, still I continue in hopes of hearing from you).

I have followed along with you and am in complete agreement. I didn't feel the need to add anything since you were doing quite a good job and didnt want to interupt the flow you had with Godrulz.

Did your present your explanation of what a miracle is, the way that you did, as briefly as you did, for a specific reason? And was it the one I suggested? (To see if Freak even understands what it means. To see if Freak even challenges that idea or not.) If not, why?

Oh Freak understands. He just won't allow himself to accept it even though it is basically the same definition he used, in my view. Maybe Freak will grace us if he disagrees with Bob's defintion as to why he disagrees. But I won't hold my breath.

And, do you agree with me that it is usually a good idea when debating "an" issue, to have a fairly mutual understanding about what the topic actually is. Some people think that just about anything is a miracle and others are far more biblically strict. So far, everyone on the opposing side (of Enyart) is largely ignorant of 1) the differences involved, and also 2) of the honorable method for seeking out the truth of the matter from God's word.

Here, Here!!!! It's plainly obvious that they have no idea where we are coming from as it relates to the subject at hand. Which is precisely the reason I asked why the apostles received the sign gifts in the first place. As demonstrated by their answers, they don't know the sign gifts ceased. Or such things as why water baptism ceased. This is the heart of the matter. Until they understand where we are in God's time via His word and what and what not applies to us, they will always think we are in the Pentecostal age. Until this particular issue is addressed and satisfactorily answered as to God's plan in this dispensation, people such as they will always think that everything that applied to Isreal when God offered them the Kingdom will always be the way it is today. Very sad in my estimation. But so it goes.

We must pray for wisdom in this matter for us as well as them.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
intellectualism vs. faith........

intellectualism vs. faith........

Well,.........it appears that the dynamic of faith that Jesus taught has been replaced by man-made, intellectualized theologies that limit faith and the power of God to dispensations. :rolleyes: Jesus did not teach that signs, wonders and miracles will ever cease....but that signs follow true believers...who live a faith-filled life. You are curiously skipping over the faith issue and how this relates to the manifestations of God in our midst. This is indicative of the general laxness and faithlessness so far expressed in your ideology.

'O ye of little faith'

Dispensations are ok to distinguish certain epochs of time in the spectrum of eternity...but for you to limit the faith that Jesus taught we could have and exercise....and the power of God is not ok. It is ok to you...if you want to sit comfortable in your theological lazy-boy an criticize those who choose to release their faith and see God do wonders in our midst. You just cant release your faith to believe God. 'What is not of faith is sin' - one of your favorite apostles said. You are not a believer in Gods power are you? You limit what God can do and cant do.....which at the same time limits the power of faith relative to the dynamics of mind and spirit. You appear not to be seeing the correlation of spiritual gifts/things cooperating along with the dynamic of faith - the two are related in coordination. Because you have not been taught or apparently experienced these dynamics of mind and spirit...you find them more or less alien and counter them with your intellectual grounds and logics....which are born from doubt and unbelief.

There is always a mediating balance between most theological arguments......and while the two opposing sides obviously present their views which appear extreme in contradistinction.....true spiritual wisdom and insight will mediate an understanding where/when the Spirit of God comes in as teacher, leader and guide. Only the Spirit of truth can mediate, minister, unveil, discover such truth.

The principle issue of faith has been presented here...relative to the dynamic of faith manifesting in natural and supernatural ways in the experience of Man on the earth. Jesus clearly taught on these principles which some continue to devalue or take of no account. Without the essence of faith....no one can please or satisfy the divine Spirit.

Ideologies, theologies, theorems, thinking that does not permit or allow the liberty of the Spirit and the dynamics of faith to have their free course by divine Will and guidance....cannot give life or quicken the soul of Man. Man cannot progress far without the Spirits leading.

paul

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
DrBrumley - Yes, that was more abrupt than normal, (chuckles) I am a little under the weather concerning my general outlook on life as of late. Unfortunately, 2 weeks ago I wrecked the company truck, it was basically totaled but no one was injured thank goodness, and today I just found out that the (insurance) review board rejected my eligibility to continue driving because it was deemed preventable and too costly.

I was on my last trip with the company before going into a one to two month leave in order to get my house back in order. Also my internet connection continues to give me fits, it ranges from 80k to 8k per sec. throughput. Cell phone as modem. So the darks clouds have been around me, sorry if I projected too much.

Also, I have been making some general posts to everyone and they were being somewhat overlooked, that is why I finally directly addressed you. Sorry for any negative reflection, I also appreciate your efforts very much too. Or, perhaps you (also) meant abrupt about my post to freelight, I agree, but it is aggravating so say the least to put forth so much effort and ministry from God’s word only to have them say something like, all I hear about them doubting that God does miracles today is a lack of evidence. ... Such a statement is tantamount to saying, what is going on with them, I don’t know, but (I know) my comments are fitting. Perhaps you meant my post to Freak, but I doubt that. What a card he is. I will be challenged to keep my cool with godrulz, because of how much I know that he lifts up manmade tradition when he should be lifting up God’s word instead. Patience, God, I need patience,,, now!

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Here is my humble opinion/conclusion. The root problem seems to be the circumcision/uncircumcision/dispensation issues. I believe this assumption is flawed and is leading to the following wrong conclusions: no miracles, no believer's baptism, OSAS.

John's Gospel highlights a number of dualisms: life/death; light/darkness; belief/unbelief, etc.

It also features 7 signs/miracles followed by 7 discourses: water to wine and the Nicodemus discourse; healing official's son and Samaritan woman; healing at pool and life through the Son; etc.

Each prominent OT miracle was done for a purpose. The flood/rainbow is not in the same category as healing a person of cancer. OT miracles are not an argument against NT miracles or modern miracles.
Stating all the miracles in the Bible does not mean that God does not do others that were not recorded (Jn. 21:25 we could fill the world with all the things God has done in the ministry of Christ and His church through the centuries). The Holy Spirit inspired some, but not all miracles to be recorded. It is really circular reasoning to assume that miracles have ceased because modern ones are not recorded in Scripture or of the same magnitude (cf. John...records seven signs and discourses for revelation, but not exhaustive).

drbrumley

Originally posted by godrulz

Here is my humble opinion/conclusion. The root problem seems to be the circumcision/uncircumcision/dispensation issues. I believe this assumption is flawed and is leading to the following wrong conclusions: no miracles, no believer's baptism, OSAS.

John's Gospel highlights a number of dualisms: life/death; light/darkness; belief/unbelief, etc.

It also features 7 signs/miracles followed by 7 discourses: water to wine and the Nicodemus discourse; healing official's son and Samaritan woman; healing at pool and life through the Son; etc.

Each prominent OT miracle was done for a purpose. The flood/rainbow is not in the same category as healing a person of cancer. OT miracles are not an argument against NT miracles or modern miracles.
Stating all the miracles in the Bible does not mean that God does not do others that were not recorded (Jn. 21:25 we could fill the world with all the things God has done in the ministry of Christ and His church through the centuries). The Holy Spirit inspired some, but not all miracles to be recorded. It is really circular reasoning to assume that miracles have ceased because modern ones are not recorded in Scripture or of the same magnitude (cf. John...records seven signs and discourses for revelation, but not exhaustive).

Godrulz,

Thank you but can you clarify why circumcision/uncircumcision/dispensation issues would be a root problem. I'm not baiting you, Just asking for clarification. Why is it flawed in your opinion. Just seeking clarity again. Thank you in advance.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

godrulz

Hall of Fame
My hunch is that "The Plot" is not the ultimate answer to reconcile all doctrinal discepancies. As good as it is, I do not think its basic assumption is defensible. I would have to respond page by page to the arguments in the book. It seems logical at first, but probably does not stand up to critical thinking. I keep finding verses in the book that are more like proof texts or out of context or not the best translation.

Again, I have just started reading the book, so am not prepared to debate it. I agree with many things, but if it leads to conclusions like no miracles, no baptism, OSAS I would reject it over the authority of Scripture (which I believe affirms a Pentecostal worldview, conditional eternal security, and believer's baptism for all believers in all generations after the resurrection).

Freak

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

I want verifiable EVIDENCE that physical miracles are happening today.
I could give you names, dates, locations, etc. What else do you want? What kind of evidence would prove to you that physical miracles are occuring today? See another example below.

The Bible teaches that Jesus rose from the dead. (A Miracle by any standard!)
The tomb He was laid in is PHYSICALLY empty!
And we know this is true because God says it's true in His Word, not because there is evidence.

There is no physical evidence for the triune nature of God but we believe it to be true because God's Word says it's true. You are seeking physcial evidence while I believe the Scriptures are sufficent for truth.

EVIDENCE! not stories!
That evidence is a real life Gospel story. Are you normally this dense?

And low and behold, you can confirm this Biblical idea with physical evidence!
You cannot confirm the nature of God with physical evidence. Were you aware of this? You don't need physical evidence to prove something is true. We believe something is true because God says it's true. Case close.

In the same way, if miracles are happening today then we should be able to demonstrate that fact by the presentation of independently verifiable evidence.
I'll give you an another example:

Dr. Lee Jae-Rock, is a believer who preaches the gospel around the world and has seen many healings. He is a Asian pastor who pastors a 80,000 member church. Many of his healings have been documented by media outlets around the world.
In fact, Dan Wooding is an award winning British journalist now living in Southern California with his wife Norma, who has documented some of these miracles. He is the founder and international director of ASSIST (Aid to Special Saints in Strategic Times). Wooding is also a syndicated columnist, and was for ten years a commentator on the UPI Radio Network in Washington, DC. Read it here: http://www.assistnews.net/Stories/s03110045.htm

In one meeting alone, tens of thousands witnessed the miracles of healings and deliverances.

After testifying to their healing to Johnny Kim who interviewed them for television, people were then directed to the medical area where a team of Korean and Russian doctors took their details so they can begin to verify their claim to have been healed. This is done because skeptics often criticize this kind of meetings saying that they are purely emotion, so the medical doctors carry out a thorough investigation into healings and then will give their pronouncements on each one.

There were two medical teams on hand – one led by Dr. Vera, a professor at a St. Petersburg university and also a radio personality and writer – and Dr. Nikolai, who is a psychiatric professor at the Naval Academy.

"Dr. Nikolai is going to write a paper about the miracles that have taken place during the crusade,” said Johnny Kim. “And Dr. Vera is planning to have a special seminar in which she will bring some of those who were healed before the medical community so that they can personally see what God has done! She is also planning to form a Christian doctors association in St. Petersburg.”

Last edited:

drbrumley

Dr. Lee Jae-Rock, is a believer who preaches the gospel around the world and has seen many healings. He is a Asian pastor who pastors a 80,000 member church.

This should be the first clue!

Freak

Re: establish the truth, stand in the truth, walk in the truth, humbly submit 2 the truth

Re: establish the truth, stand in the truth, walk in the truth, humbly submit 2 the truth

Originally posted by 1Way

Freak – (?) I thought you do exorcisms, as part of your ministry?
Yes, I do.

I thought that doing exorcisms is part of your life that you affirm as being valid for today?
You said:

"For Freak to overturn his views on miracles would basically invalidate his life and livelihood (religious exorcist if I'm informed correctly),"

I do not do exorcisms as my livelihood. That is a lie.

Is it true that you claim to be an exorcist as part of, or perhaps a large feature of your ministry?
It is a part.

Also, naturally I thought that your book (how many? Just one, or?) confirms your beliefs about the work of the Holy Spirit including miracles and such things as exorcism for example.
Yes, I have written several books on the subject.

Is that true, that you wrote a book that conforms to your faith about miracles?
No, the book conforms to God's Revealed Word.

Lastly, I did mix your life and ministry with your livelihood, but I did so because of your book which I assume you do not give away, but rather hope to make a profit.
The money I make off the book goes to ministry work. It is not my livelihood as you put it.

Is that true, that you do not give away your books, you try to sell them for a goal to actually make a profit?
I have given many books away and have sold many around the world...Barnes & Noble, Borders, Walmart, etc sell the book. But all the money goes back to ministry work.

Please clarify; just claiming that I am wrong does not establish nor resolve anything.
You're wrong because I have the inside information, because it is my life you are speaking of.

I expect a public retraction immediately. I do not live off ("livelihood" as you put it) exorcisms. By stating such a lie proves to all your personal hatred towards me (to lie and slander me publically) and to the ministry that Jesus did--exorcising those with demons.

1Way, will you retract your lie.

1. You have publically slandered me while acknowledging "if I'm informed correctly." Why don't you do the Godly thing and ask me personally before going on record as stating something that is untrue.

2. It is a lie to suggest that the alteration of my view on miracles would invalidate my life--a. my life's validation is found in Jesus Christ and His Word not in miracles, b. my belief in miracles is rooted in Scriptural truth and not in denial (your present condition).

Freak

Originally posted by drbrumley

This should be the first clue!
Were you aware that the church in Asia is growing much faster then in America. The underground church in China alone numbers in the hundreds of millions. Imagine that. Big world we live in, dr. :rolleyes:

Freak

Originally posted by Knight

Clete... :first:
What a joke. :down: Pathetic.

Clete, claims that physical evidence proves what God says is true. Jesus, who is God, stated, "Thy Word is truth." I believe Jesus and thereby don't need physical evidence. Jesus is the truth and speaks the truth--He says it, I believe it. Do you believe if Jesus says something is true, it's true regardless of physical evidence, Knight?

Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

What physical evidence is there regarding this truth statement?

:p

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
immersed......

immersed......

Hi,

Can someone further elaborate on this idea that water baptisms have ceased??? wow - thats a new one. (another Plot doctrine?). I went thru the whole debates over this on another thread emphasizing the essentiality of the Spirit-immersion....physical water baptism being an outward act confirming baptism in Christ...but not absolutely necessary in all cases. Those water-baptism advocates are pretty extreme - hard to reason with.

I would like to know more about water baptisms being ceased. I have not read 'the Plot'.....nor have felt drawn to it by what I am finding out so far. Where does one access this book anyways? Water baptisms are fine/permissible in my book....as long as they are performed with understanding relative to the essential Spirit-baptism when we are immmersed into Christ and the general principles of death/resurrection/new life.

paul

Freak

Originally posted by godrulz

Freak: Biblical reference for last quote would help our friends read the context and feel its impact.
Scriptural truth is not something they're intersted in.

Jesus' words were found in John 14.

Have you heard of 'Pigs in the Parlor?' Who wrote that book? I disagree that there is a demon behind every rock. I hope you have a balanced deliverance ministry.
Yes, I have. It's not Biblically sound. Check out Dr. Merrill Unger's work on deliverance. Former professor of Old Testament at Dallas Theological Seminary. I am accountable to a number of respected pastors and professors who are solid in their respective fields. One is a professor at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, the other is a pastor of a 4, 000 member Southern Baptist church, and another is a pastor of a conservative Anglican fellowship.

drbrumley

Freelight,

Ceased may have been the wrong word. Forgive me. Water baptism is not essential for salvation as it was to the Jews. If you want to get water baptised, then go right ahead. But it's not a requiement as John the Baptist used to say, Repent and be baptised!

Freak

Dr. Lee Jae-Rock, is a believer who preaches the gospel around the world and has seen many healings. He is a Asian pastor who pastors a 80,000 member church. Many of his healings have been documented by media outlets around the world.
In fact, Dan Wooding is an award winning British journalist now living in Southern California with his wife Norma, who has documented some of these miracles. He is the founder and international director of ASSIST (Aid to Special Saints in Strategic Times). Wooding is also a syndicated columnist, and was for ten years a commentator on the UPI Radio Network in Washington, DC. Read it here: http://www.assistnews.net/Stories/s03110045.htm

In one meeting alone, tens of thousands witnessed the miracles of healings and deliverances.

After testifying to their healing to Johnny Kim who interviewed them for television, people were then directed to the medical area where a team of Korean and Russian doctors took their details so they can begin to verify their claim to have been healed. This is done because skeptics often criticize this kind of meetings saying that they are purely emotion, so the medical doctors carry out a thorough investigation into healings and then will give their pronouncements on each one.

There were two medical teams on hand – one led by Dr. Vera, a professor at a St. Petersburg university and also a radio personality and writer – and Dr. Nikolai, who is a psychiatric professor at the Naval Academy.

Freak

We are told miracles testify of the Lord Jesus and His salvation...

This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Here we are told God uses miracles for His purposes, yet you desire to do away with them. Bizarre...

The apostle John penned these words..

Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name.

It was because of people seeing the miracles that people "believed in His name."

Miracles glorify God, Clete. They do not dishonor Him. So, why in the world would you teach that miracles have disappeared when we are told in Scripture that miracles bring honor & glory to God? Flawed theology you have there, Clete.

People doubted Jesus raising from the dead. People doubt the inerrancy of Scripture. People, like yourself, like to doubt the things of God. This is not unusual. Yet, in Holy Scripture we are told...

...that spiritual gifts are given to serve the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:7; 14:26), to equip people to share the gospel (Matthew 10:19,20; Luke 4:18; 1 Corinthians 2:13), and to show God's compassion and concern for His people (examples: Matthew 14:13-14; 20:29-34; Mark 1:40-42). Surely these needs still exist. Clete, you do believe these needs still exist--healing, deliverance, etc???? If they do then you have to agree that the present church has these gifts which include the gift of miracles.

Clete, it appears the Holy Scriptures do not make any distinction between what we call the "supernatural" gifts and the other "less" supernatural gifts (Note that they appear mixed together in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:28). You are seperating some gifts (i.e. gifts of miracles) from the others when the Biblical warrant isn't there. If we are going to deny the operation of "supernatural" gifts in this day, then it seems logical to deny all the gifts of the Spirit mentioned in these passages (not just some).

The "supernatural" gifts were not just the possession of the apostles in the Bible. Other non-apostles also were given supernatural gifts by the Spirit. (Take for example Luke 9:49-50 or Philip's use of the gifts in Acts 8:6,7,13). Were you aware of this????

If the primary purpose of miracles was to authenticate the Scriptures, as they ceased at the closing of the Canon, then why did any one else have a ministry of signs and wonders or miracles? Why did God give gifts of healing and miracles to the church? (1 Cor. 12:7-10; Gal. 3:5). I have never read or heard of a sufficient answer to that question. The church is still present and there is no reason to believe He doesn't give His church gifts that include the gifts of miracles.

If Jesus’ miracles were sufficient to authenticate him as the Son of God and to authenticate his message, why did the apostles have to do miracles? The standard reply is that the apostles had to do miracles to show that they were trustworthy witnesses to Jesus Christ and trustworthy teachers of doctrine. But why couldn’t they just preach about the miracles as much of the church does today? Can’t we be regarded as trustworthy witnesses today without doing miracles? If we can, then why did the apostles need miracles?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
baptized!

baptized!

Originally posted by drbrumley

Freelight,

Ceased may have been the wrong word. Forgive me. Water baptism is not essential for salvation as it was to the Jews. If you want to get water baptised, then go right ahead. But it's not a requiement as John the Baptist used to say, Repent and be baptised!

)=======Hi drbrumley,................okay - I hold that it is not essential for salvation as well. It can serve to inspire, fortify and express ones faith however.....as a testimony towards one conversion.

paul

Flipper

Award winning British journalist, eh? He never says which awards he won on his web site (a bit of a slip for a journalist, really).

I've never heard of any of the publications he worked for except one. He mentions working on the Sunday People, which was and remains a sleazy tabloid of the lowest order (see for yourself - http://www.people.co.uk/). That was his one and only job of note.

His book about Amin's Uganda was published in 1980 and Amin was given the old heave-ho in 1979. A book about how horrible Idi Amin was at that stage wasn't exactly big news.

I can't say I'm particularly fired up by his credentials.