Freak challenges "The Plot" over miracles

Freak

Were there miracles on the set of THE PASSION during filming?

(A) Mel Gibson states in an interview, "There have been a lot of unusual things happening, good things like people being healed of diseases, a couple of people have had sight and hearing restored, another guy was struck by lightning while we were filming the crucifixion scene and he just got up and walked away."

http://www.passion-movie.com/english/faq3.html

Sozo

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Now I know that you were already aware of this before you wasted my time with your last post because nobody can be that stupid.

How long have you been here Clete?

Freak

Originally posted by Sozo

How long have you been here Clete?
Care to take a jab at this since no one has (help 1Way out):

We are told in Holy Scripture that spiritual gifts are given to serve the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:7; 14:26), to equip people to share the gospel (Matthew 10:19,20; Luke 4:18; 1 Corinthians 2:13), and to show God's compassion and concern for His people (examples: Matthew 14:13-14; 20:29-34; Mark 1:40-42). Surely these needs still exist. 1Way, you do believe these needs still exist--healing, deliverance, etc???? If they do then you have to agree that the present church has these gifts which include the gift of miracles.

1Way, it appears the Holy Scriptures do not make any distinction between what we call the "supernatural" gifts and the other "less" supernatural gifts (Note that they appear mixed together in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:28). You are seperating some gifts (i.e. gifts of miracles) from the others when the Biblical warrant isn't there. If we are going to deny the operation of "supernatural" gifts in this day, then it seems logical to deny all the gifts of the Spirit mentioned in these passages (not just some).

The "supernatural" gifts were not just the possession of the apostles in the Bible. Other non-apostles also were given supernatural gifts by the Spirit. (Take for example Luke 9:49-50 or Philip's use of the gifts in Acts 8:6,7,13). Were you aware of this????

Homework for 1Way:

If the primary purpose of miracles was to authenticate the Scriptures, as they ceased at the closing of the Canon, then why did any one else have a ministry of signs and wonders or miracles? Why did God give gifts of healing and miracles to the church? (1 Cor. 12:7-10; Gal. 3:5). I have never read or heard of a sufficient answer to that question. The church is still present and there is no reason to believe He doesn't give His church gifts that include the gifts of miracles.

If Jesus’ miracles were sufficient to authenticate him as the Son of God and to authenticate his message, why did the apostles have to do miracles? The standard reply is that the apostles had to do miracles to show that they were trustworthy witnesses to Jesus Christ and trustworthy teachers of doctrine. But why couldn’t they just preach about the miracles as much of the church does today? Can’t we be regarded as trustworthy witnesses today without doing miracles? If we can, then why did the apostles need miracles?

Under the New Covenant, the superior covenant, we are taught numerous times of the reality of spiritual gifts and miracles. In fact...

At least six times in Paul’s writings he either commands Christians to follow his example as he follows Christ’s example, or he approves of those who follow his example (1 Cor. 4:16-17; 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 4:9; 1 Thess. 1:6; 2 Thess. 3:9). Paul did not make a distinction between those elements in his life that were miraculous and those that are not viewed as miraculous. Paul copied Christ. Christ had miraculous elements in his life, and so did Paul. Poster, are we only to imitate those nonmiraculous elements in the lives of Jesus and Paul? Are they simply to be examples for moral living but not for miraculous ministry? Paul makes no such distinction when he exhorts us to imitate him.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Freak
Shelton's 38 years in the military included two years in Vietnam and service in the 173rd Airborne Brigade and Green Berets. In addition to having been an adviser to the president and a member of the National Security Council, he has been awarded the Congressional Gold Medal, the Purple Heart and six Distinguished Service Medals. He has been decorated by 15 foreign governments and knighted by Queen Elizabeth.

His 6-foot-6-inch military bearing and commanding presence at the Celebrity Forum belied his recent personal battle. Only months after his retirement, following 400 parachute jumps from 30,000 feet, the former special ops soldier fell from a ladder outside his home, landed with his head caught in a chain-link fence and was partially paralyzed from the neck down.

The man was "partially paralyzed" from the neck down....but....his faith in God allow him to see a healing miracle....

The doctor told Shelton he would never walk or use his hands again. Shelton said he checked the doctor's name tag for "God"; he didn't see it. Eighty-four days later he walked out on his own, and he is now close to 100 percent recovered. The unfortunate experience taught him an invaluable lesson -- "the importance of faith, family and friends when the chips are down."
Is this what you call evidence for a miracle?!
You know that the exact same sort of thing happens to nonbelievers as well right?
Further, what’s up with 84 freaken days! (Sorry about taking your name in vain like that Freak!) Can you show me an example in the Bible of a healing miracle that took almost three months! This might be an excellent example of someone trusting God in spite of their circumstances but it is not a miracle.
Come on Freak you say that you’ve performed “hundreds” of miracles! Surely you can do better than this!
Try again.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. Thank you for responding directly. It’s much more productive than repeating yourself!

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Here is an example of an actual miracle:

Acts 3:
6Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk." 7And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them--walking, leaping, and praising God. 9And all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

Note:
and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8So he, leaping up, stood and walked

Freak

Is this what you call evidence for a miracle?!

"The doctor told Shelton he would never walk or use his hands again." Never walk. But God healed him.

You know that the exact same sort of thing happens to nonbelievers as well right?
Healing is not simply reserved for believers.

Further, what’s up with 84 freaken days!
Does it matter if a healing occurs within 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or 3 months?

Can you show me an example in the Bible of a healing miracle that took almost three months!
Santification--the miracle of the conforming to the likeness of Jesus Christ lasts usually longer then 3 months.

Come on Freak you say that you’ve performed “hundreds” of miracles! Surely you can do better than this!
Yes, I have performed hundreds of miracles...I have a number of videos that document such miracles. Send me your mailing address & I'll send it off to you.

But, as I mentioned to you before, my belief in miracles is rooted not in experience but in Scripture...

We are told in Holy Scripture that spiritual gifts are given to serve the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:7; 14:26), to equip people to share the gospel (Matthew 10:19,20; Luke 4:18; 1 Corinthians 2:13), and to show God's compassion and concern for His people (examples: Matthew 14:13-14; 20:29-34; Mark 1:40-42). Surely these needs still exist. Clete, you do believe these needs still exist--healing, deliverance, etc???? If they do then you have to agree that the present church has these gifts which include the gift of miracles.

Clete, it appears the Holy Scriptures do not make any distinction between what we call the "supernatural" gifts and the other "less" supernatural gifts (Note that they appear mixed together in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:28). You are seperating some gifts (i.e. gifts of miracles) from the others when the Biblical warrant isn't there. If we are going to deny the operation of "supernatural" gifts in this day, then it seems logical to deny all the gifts of the Spirit mentioned in these passages (not just some).

The "supernatural" gifts were not just the possession of the apostles in the Bible. Other non-apostles also were given supernatural gifts by the Spirit. (Take for example Luke 9:49-50 or Philip's use of the gifts in Acts 8:6,7,13). Were you aware of this????

Try again.

(A) Mel Gibson states in an interview, "There have been a lot of unusual things happening, good things like people being healed of diseases, a couple of people have had sight and hearing restored, another guy was struck by lightning while we were filming the crucifixion scene and he just got up and walked away."

P.S. Thank you for responding directly. It’s much more productive than repeating yourself!
I would ask that you return the favor...by dealing with the Scriptures I have pointed out.

Homework for Clete:

If the primary purpose of miracles was to authenticate the Scriptures, as they ceased at the closing of the Canon, then why did any one else have a ministry of signs and wonders or miracles? Why did God give gifts of healing and miracles to the church? (1 Cor. 12:7-10; Gal. 3:5). I have never read or heard of a sufficient answer to that question. The church is still present and there is no reason to believe He doesn't give His church gifts that include the gifts of miracles.

If Jesus’ miracles were sufficient to authenticate him as the Son of God and to authenticate his message, why did the apostles have to do miracles? The standard reply is that the apostles had to do miracles to show that they were trustworthy witnesses to Jesus Christ and trustworthy teachers of doctrine. But why couldn’t they just preach about the miracles as much of the church does today? Can’t we be regarded as trustworthy witnesses today without doing miracles? If we can, then why did the apostles need miracles?

Under the New Covenant, the superior covenant, we are taught numerous times of the reality of spiritual gifts and miracles. In fact...

At least six times in Paul’s writings he either commands Christians to follow his example as he follows Christ’s example, or he approves of those who follow his example (1 Cor. 4:16-17; 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 4:9; 1 Thess. 1:6; 2 Thess. 3:9). Paul did not make a distinction between those elements in his life that were miraculous and those that are not viewed as miraculous. Paul copied Christ. Christ had miraculous elements in his life, and so did Paul. Poster, are we only to imitate those nonmiraculous elements in the lives of Jesus and Paul? Are they simply to be examples for moral living but not for miraculous ministry? Paul makes no such distinction when he exhorts us to imitate him

Freak

Originally posted by Shimei

Acts 3:
Yep. Here's another one:

Teacher," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us."
"Do not stop him," Jesus said. "No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, for whoever is not against us is for us. I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward.

This is something I have done hundreds of times.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Shimei

Acts 3:
6Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk." 7And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them--walking, leaping, and praising God. 9And all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

Note:
and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8So he, leaping up, stood and walked

I saw Nita Edwards give her testimony and have the book "Miracle in the Mirror" (1981 Welch) by credible missionary in India, Mark Buntain (who I also met in Bible College). Her medically verifiable miracle was of this magnitude as she lay totally paralyzed in Sri Lanka. God healed her instantly after He revealed the very day, hour, and minute that she would be healed. The power of God hit her and she literally flew out of bed able to walk.The power of God hit her and she landed on her feet totally healed. This led to the conversion of many Buddhist nurses and doctors. She was paralyzed, and I definitely saw her walking. It was Jesus Christ her Savior and Lord who healed her for His glory and the advancement of His Kingdom in a dark country.

Freak

Originally posted by godrulz

I saw Nita Edwards give her testimony and have the book "Miracle in the Mirror" (1981 Welch) by credible missionary in India, Mark Buntain (who I also met in Bible College). Her medically verifiable miracle was of this magnitude as she lay totally paralyzed in Sri Lanka. God healed her instantly after He revealed the very day, hour, and minute that she would be healed. The power of God hit her and she literally flew out of bed able to walk.The power of God hit her and she landed on her feet totally healed. This led to the conversion of many Buddhist nurses and doctors. She was paralyzed, and I definitely saw her walking. It was Jesus Christ her Savior and Lord who healed her for His glory and the advancement of His Kingdom in a dark country.
That's awesome! Guess what, contrary to what Enyart teaches, this testimony of a miracle encouraged my faith. :up:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Freak

The doctor told Shelton he would never walk or use his hands again." Never walk. But God healed him.
Or the doctor was over zealous in his negative prognosis.

Healing is not simply reserved for believers.
Miraculous healing is!

Does it matter if a healing occurs within 5 minutes, 15 minutes, or 3 months?
5 minutes is too long for such a miracle as you described. When God performs a physical miracle He does it in such a fashion as to leave no doubt about its source. A three month healing can just as easily be attributed to something other than a direct intervention from God.

Sanctification--the miracle of the conforming to the likeness of Jesus Christ lasts usually longer then 3 months.
One more response of this nature will end my participation in this discussion. I will only say it once more. This is not the type of miracle we are discussing and you know it.

Yes, I have performed hundreds of miracles...I have a number of videos that document such miracles. Send me your mailing address & I'll send it off to you.
If what you've given here is a good example of what is on the tape then don't waste the postage. However, if what is on the tape genuinely creative physical miracles where the physical change is self evident AND verifiable then give a good example of what's on the tape and I'll PM you my address.

But, as I mentioned to you before, my belief in miracles is rooted not in experience but in Scripture...
I have not disputed the foundation of your belief and am not debating the Scriptural basis for such a belief. While it is true that I disagree with your Biblical reasoning, it isn't necessary to debate this particular issue from that perspective. Biblical reasoning can be debated forever without resolution because those involved in the debate are not usually attempting to resolve anything in the first place, but physical evidence speaks for itself. If you cannot produce credible evidence that physical miracles are occurring today then it is logically inescapable that your Biblical reasoning is flawed at best and more likely completely wrong altogether.

Resting in His sufficient Grace,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by godrulz

Verifiable how?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You know full well the points I was getting across in my last post and yet you chose to respond as though I was making an entirely different point and you completely ignore the thrust of my argument.
If I only had a dime for all the times I have typed that sentence to Freak... :D

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Verifiable how?

Read the book. The doctors and hospital treated for an extended time as a paralytic (Xrays, etc. she fell down stairs and was paralyzed). The Buddhist nurses/doctor (?) witnessed her fly through the air and land able to walk. I saw her speak in person. She is not a fraud. She could walk and substantiate her miracle.

How many do you need for proof? This is one of many published or verifiable stories. I could understand an atheist being skeptical, but a lover of God and His Word? (I know you don't have the proof in front of you...your opinion does not negate this incredible event that happened in your life time). I am convinced your understanding and theology is wrong, not the validated miracle or God's Word (I have the book in front of me). God was glorified in her testimony, and people were saved in India and our church where she spoke in the 80s (we also prayed for the sick with people being healed...salavation= 'wholeness' (Gk.)= physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual= the whole man, not just saved from hell).

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You know full well the points I was getting across in my last post and yet you chose to respond as though I was making an entirely different point and you completely ignore the thrust of my argument.

Originally posted by Knight

If I only had a dime for all the times I have typed that sentence to Freak... :D
Same here! :wave:

And if I had a Jeep for every time Freak has offered to give me his Jeep, I'd have a Jeep. :)

godrulz

Hall of Fame

I apologize in advance if this has been mentioned but has anyone reviewed miracle dynamics?

Maybe argues against the lunatic fringe of the Word-Faith movement. Overall weak arguments against miracles or divine healing for today (most Pentecostals recognize that not everyone will be healed all the time due to God's sovereignty, unbelief, living in a fallen world with bodies that are not glorified, etc.). Just because Paul left someone sick does not mean he argues against miracles or healing for believers or the lost. The epistles are not historical narratives like Acts (+ they have teaching on the spiritual gifts) so what is the graph trying to show (not mentioning miracles in every paragraph of doctrinal/practical letters does not mean a credible theology cannot be developed from all of Scripture)?

Either Enyart is making one simple observation about miracles and his followers are wrongly using it as an anti-Pentecostal polemic, or Enyart needs to make a better case against miracles.

Last edited:

Freak

Or the doctor was over zealous in his negative prognosis.
The facts stand.

Miraculous healing is!
No. The Scriptures speak of Jesus healing all He had compassion on. Did He just have compassion for those who believed?

Matthew 14:14
When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.

Matthew 4:23-24
News about him spread all over Syria, and people brought to him all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralyzed, and he healed them.

5 minutes is too long for such a miracle as you described.
Says the Bible?

When God performs a physical miracle He does it in such a fashion as to leave no doubt about its source.
We do know that sometimes this kind of healing did not manifest immediately. Even when Jesus healed some it took time. One blind man had to be healed twice because the first time he could still only see in a blur, and the official’s son in Capernaum began to get better.

A three month healing can just as easily be attributed to something other than a direct intervention from God.
So says you. Hebrews 6:12 says that we inherit the promises through faith and patience, and James 1:4 says that we must let patience have her perfect work so that we can be entire and wanting nothing.

One more response of this nature will end my participation in this discussion. I will only say it once more. This is not the type of miracle we are discussing and you know it.
Just merely pointing out that all miracles are not seen immediately. My point was proven.

If what you've given here is a good example of what is on the tape then don't waste the postage. However, if what is on the tape genuinely creative physical miracles where the physical change is self evident AND verifiable then give a good example of what's on the tape and I'll PM you my address.

Teacher," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us."
"Do not stop him," Jesus said. "No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, for whoever is not against us is for us. I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward.

This is something I have done hundreds of times. This would be considered a miracle in the eyes of Jesus. As Jesus equated the ministry of casting out demons as a miracle. Some of the miracles I have on video were witnessed by scores of people.

I have not disputed the foundation of your belief and am not debating the Scriptural basis for such a belief.
And this has been a problem. Because my belief in the reality of miracles is rooted in Scripture not in experience. Yey, you're wanting me to share stories and link you to realities of physical miracles. I could do that all day and you could dismiss them for one reason or another. But with Scripture as our standard one can be convinced of this absolute truth.

While it is true that I disagree with your Biblical reasoning,
Ok. You disagree then show me where I'm wrong. Nobody has accomplished that yet. I find it strange that nobody has dealt with the Scriptural foundation of my belief that miracles occur today. It speaks volumes.

Biblical reasoning can be debated forever without resolution because those involved in the debate are not usually attempting to resolve anything in the first place,
Huh? Scripture is our objective truth standard not physical evidence. There is no physical evidence of the nature of the Trinity, yet we believe it due to the reality of the Scriptures.

but physical evidence speaks for itself.
Ok. Here is a well documented physical evidence of a miracle that I have mentioned 3 times now. Deal with this:

If you cannot produce credible evidence that physical miracles are occurring today then it is logically inescapable that your Biblical reasoning is flawed at best and more likely completely wrong altogether.

You have put experience before the truth of Scripture. You have it all twisted. If the Bible says it then we believe it and it's not because the physical evidence proves it. This is why we believe miracles are for today--because the Scriptural evidence not because of the physical evidence. The just shall live by faith not by sight.

Clete, if the primary purpose of miracles was to authenticate the Scriptures, as they ceased at the closing of the Canon, then why did any one else have a ministry of signs and wonders or miracles? Why did God give gifts of healing and miracles to the church? (1 Cor. 12:7-10; Gal. 3:5). I have never read or heard of a sufficient answer to that question. The church is still present and there is no reason to believe He doesn't give His church gifts that include the gifts of miracles.

Resting in His sufficient Grace,
Clete
Should be read: Resting in His physical evidence. :kookoo:

Homework: We are told in Holy Scripture that spiritual gifts are given to serve the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:7; 14:26), to equip people to share the gospel (Matthew 10:19,20; Luke 4:18; 1 Corinthians 2:13), and to show God's compassion and concern for His people (examples: Matthew 14:13-14; 20:29-34; Mark 1:40-42). Surely these needs still exist. Clete, you do believe these needs still exist--healing, deliverance, etc???? If they do then you have to agree that the present church has these gifts which include the gift of miracles.

Clete, it appears the Holy Scriptures do not make any distinction between what we call the "supernatural" gifts and the other "less" supernatural gifts (Note that they appear mixed together in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:28). You are seperating some gifts (i.e. gifts of miracles) from the others when the Biblical warrant isn't there. If we are going to deny the operation of "supernatural" gifts in this day, then it seems logical to deny all the gifts of the Spirit mentioned in these passages (not just some).

At least six times in Paul’s writings he either commands Christians to follow his example as he follows Christ’s example, or he approves of those who follow his example (1 Cor. 4:16-17; 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 4:9; 1 Thess. 1:6; 2 Thess. 3:9). Paul did not make a distinction between those elements in his life that were miraculous and those that are not viewed as miraculous. Paul copied Christ. Christ had miraculous elements in his life, and so did Paul. Poster, are we only to imitate those nonmiraculous elements in the lives of Jesus and Paul? Are they simply to be examples for moral living but not for miraculous ministry? Paul makes no such distinction when he exhorts us to imitate him

Freak

I apologize in advance if this has been mentioned but has anyone reviewed miracle dynamics?
Yes and that is why we have this thread. Poor Biblical understanding of miracles...(Knight, perhaps, you'd like to take a jab at these questions since nobody else has)...

Let me preface by saying my belief in miracles is rooted not in experience but in Scripture...

We are told in Holy Scripture that spiritual gifts are given to serve the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:7; 14:26), to equip people to share the gospel (Matthew 10:19,20; Luke 4:18; 1 Corinthians 2:13), and to show God's compassion and concern for His people (examples: Matthew 14:13-14; 20:29-34; Mark 1:40-42). Surely these needs still exist. Knight, you do believe these needs still exist--healing, deliverance, etc???? If they do then you have to agree that the present church has these gifts which include the gift of miracles.

Knight, it appears the Holy Scriptures do not make any distinction between what we call the "supernatural" gifts and the other "less" supernatural gifts (Note that they appear mixed together in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:28). You are seperating some gifts (i.e. gifts of miracles) from the others when the Biblical warrant isn't there. If we are going to deny the operation of "supernatural" gifts in this day, then it seems logical to deny all the gifts of the Spirit mentioned in these passages (not just some).

At least six times in Paul’s writings he either commands Christians to follow his example as he follows Christ’s example, or he approves of those who follow his example (1 Cor. 4:16-17; 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 4:9; 1 Thess. 1:6; 2 Thess. 3:9). Paul did not make a distinction between those elements in his life that were miraculous and those that are not viewed as miraculous. Paul copied Christ. Christ had miraculous elements in his life, and so did Paul. Knight, are we only to imitate those nonmiraculous elements in the lives of Jesus and Paul? Are they simply to be examples for moral living but not for miraculous ministry? Paul makes no such distinction when he exhorts us to imitate him.