Foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Please do! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love is on going. we never stop loving. Actually love grows. If we are not growing in love, something is very wrong.

It is safe to say if we are not growing we stopped loving and going the other way. We never stay the same.

Spockrates

Love is on going. we never stop loving. Actually love grows. If we are not growing in love, something is very wrong.

It is safe to say if we are not growing we stopped loving and going the other way. We never stay the same.

Yeah, yeah. Like Heraclitus said: "You cannot step into the same river twice, for when you do, both you and the river have changed!"

I think, though love is more like the tide on a beach. It ebbs and flows. Is your experience the same?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
Can love coexist with fear?
I believe so. (But may depend on how strict one is with the word "fear".)

For example:
When my husband held me in his arms, I was both, terrified knowing that those very arms could break me into like a twig, and yet I felt completely safe knowing that those very same arms were the ones that would protect me, keep me, sooth me, and care for me.

I vision GOD in like manner ----- terrified of the awesome power He has, yet completely secure in that same power as the very strength that will protect me from harm, provide for me, care for me.

God's Truth

Yeah, yeah, and it makes me wonder: Can love coexist with fear? Though my relationship might begin that way, is that the way it must stay?

We are talking about the fear of God, not about fear of just anything. You should fear if you do wrong, if you are being tempted. What do you have to fear if you are not doing wrong?

Truster

Sorry for being slow to comprehend. It seems to me these words of yours define godly wisdom:

"Repentance is a spiritual change in which the eyes of the understanding are opened and a vision of the attributes of Deity are clearly perceived for the first time. ..."

For when I replace the word repentance with the word wisdom, it sounds wise to me!

"[Godly wisdom] is a spiritual change in which the eyes of the understanding are opened and a vision of the attributes of Deity are clearly perceived for the first time. ..."

But please tell me why you disagree. How do you define godly wisdom?

I don't disagree the scriptures and the meaning of words disagree. Wisdom is a gift and the regenerate, repentant sinners can ask for wisdom. James 1:5

Spockrates

Foundation.

We are talking about the fear of God, not about fear of just anything. You should fear if you do wrong, if you are being tempted. What do you have to fear if you are not doing wrong?

Yes, we are talking about the fear of God. But I fear the fear you don't have to fear is not the fear I fear! Let me explain...

So there's a show I watch called Black Sails. In the show a pirate captain named Flint has an insightful conversation with his first mate Silver about the subject of fear. Silver informs the captain he sent a pirate he recently disciplined on a vital mission.

"Why the @$&# did you entrust him?" Flint asked in disbelief. "Do you honestly think his fear of you makes him trustworthy?"

"Yes, I trust his fear," replied Silver, "but it's not the fear you think. It's not me he fears, it's the thought of disappointing me. Now that is a fear I trust!"

Do you think, then, that the fear of the Lord is not a fear of God's punishment, but a fear of disappointing him?

God's Truth

Perfect love drives out fear.

1 John 4:18

Perfect love is obedience. If you are obeying then what are you fearing?

We do not love purely, sincerely, deeply from the heart until after we obey Jesus’ teachings. We do not know how to really love, until we love like Jesus loved us, and that comes from obeying him and believing in him. We love better after the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit which comes through our obeying.

See 1 Peter 1:22; John 13:34; Romans 12:10; James 4:8; Hebrews 13:1; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Peter 3:8; 1 Peter 4:8;

Truster

PS Perfect love drives out the fear in which there is torment, but there is also a reverent fear that is considered by those that have had the experience to be a grace and therefore a gift. To this I say, amen.

Spockrates

Foundation.

I don't disagree the scriptures and the meaning of words disagree. Wisdom is a gift and the regenerate, repentant sinners can ask for wisdom. James 1:5

Yeah, yeah! And isn't praying that the eyes of my understanding be opened the same as praying for wisdom? I once was blind, but now I see. Isn't that sight wisdom?

So I wonder if repentance has to do more with decision than knowledge. Solomon was wise, for God opened the eyes of his understanding, but he still decided to do what he knew was unwise.

Truster

Then why do I fear letting him down? Perhaps because the fear of disappointing Him is not the kind of fear His love drives away?

You do disappoint Him in every thought, word and deed. If you trust in your ability to please the Father you will always fail.

" This is my beloved Son, hear Him".

God's Truth

Yes, we are talking about the fear of God. But I fear the fear you don't have to fear is not the fear I fear! Let me explain...

So there's a show I watch called Black Sails. In the show a pirate captain named Flint has an insightful conversation with his first mate Silver about the subject of fear. Silver informs the captain he sent a pirate he recently disciplined on a vital mission.

"Why the @$&# did you entrust him?" Flint asked in disbelief. "Do you honestly think his fear of you makes him trustworthy?"

"Yes, I trust his fear," replied Silver, "but it's not the fear you think. It's not me he fears, it's the thought of disappointing me. Now that is a fear I trust!"

Do you think, then, that the fear of the Lord is not a fear of God's punishment, but a fear of disappointing him?

Of course we do not want to disappoint God. But I really think saying we fear disappointing Him goes around the truth, for the Bible says fear God because of wrath. I mean why would you fear disappointing Him? Why use the word fear when speaking of disappointment?

God's Truth

You do disappoint Him in every thought, word and deed. If you trust in your ability to please the Father you will always fail.

" This is my beloved Son, hear Him".

Ephesians 5:10 and find out what pleases the Lord.

Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.

Colossians 1:10
so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,

Status
Not open for further replies.