Foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsthebuilder

The reason I think the KJV is better with this scripture is because we do not know God until we obey Him. So then when the Herb Yahn translation tells us to know God and he will straighten your path, it seems like it is lessening the power of obedience.

We should trust God in the beginning before we know Him, even though we DON'T understand exactly why He tells us to do certain things, but if we do what He says anyway, then He will give us understanding. See, that is what helped me before I was saved. I was too focused on not getting why God said to do this and do that, but when I read that scripture, it was a motivation for me to obey Him anyway. And then He did give me understanding.
I am grateful for your understanding. Nowhere near as much as you surely are.

My point here is that the word "acknowledge" isn't much better than the word "know" and for me, personally the word "know" rings true because we mustn't go by what we conflate with faith which in cases can be belief, but must have a faith that is a surety, a knowledge, and a truth....Without a doubt. A reliance. What we can turn to at all intervals for merciful guidance and assurance.

Both words work here to me.

Neither negate being devout/ faithful/ obedient....As you like to say. There is an ancient faith that has a word for blessed obedience.
I don't recall it, but do recall agreeing with the significance of such.

peace

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

God's Truth

I am grateful for your understanding. Nowhere near as much as you surely are.

My point here is that the word "acknowledge" isn't much better than the word "know" and for me, personally the word "know" rings true because we mustn't go by what we conflate with faith which in cases can be belief, but must have a faith that is a surety, a knowledge, and a truth....Without a doubt. A reliance. What we can turn to at all intervals for merciful guidance and assurance.

Both words work here to me.

Neither negate being devout/ faithful/ obedient....As you like to say. There is an ancient faith that has a word for blessed obedience.
I don't recall it, but do recall agreeing with the significance of such.

peace

Knowing God does not come before obedience; so then, with that in mind, to lean not on your own discernment would make no sense, for those who know God would not lean on their own discernment, they would lean on what God has revealed to them.

For if you obey God---THEN and ONLY then do you know Him.

That is scripture.

1 John 2:2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world. 3By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;…

John 14:21 The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him."

Psalm 119:100 I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts.

popsthebuilder

To know God does not come before obedience; So then, with that in mind, to lean not on your own discernment would make no sense.

For if you know God---THEN and ONLY then do you know Him.

That is scripture.

1 John 2:2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world. 3By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;…

John 14:21 The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him."

Psalm 119:100 I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts.

Surely to know GOD to any sort of breadth is to follow the precepts of GOD.

Your premise may be wholly right. I cannot say for sure because I was, prior to having any faith or belief in GOD, naturally inclined to do good toward others because it seemed like the good and or right thing to do. This could indeed be seen as a sort of obedience to GOD which could have been some prerequisite to being mercifully given faith, but am not sure.

I do agree though really; I think we can have a small partial knowledge of the will of God as it pertains to our life and life as a whole, but to deny such and in doing so, being unfaithful/ disbelieving, or placing wants above said knowledge of GOD (idol worship), one will find themselves bereft of even said small portion they had been initially entrusted with.

I think we are in some level of agreement.?.?.

peace

God's Truth

Surely to know GOD to any sort of breadth is to follow the precepts of GOD.
I think one has to do all that He says.

Your premise may be wholly right. I cannot say for sure because I was, prior to having any faith or belief in GOD, naturally inclined to do good toward others because it seemed like the good and or right thing to do.

I would say that about myself also.
Did you grow up in a Christian setting?
I do not even know if you claim a denomination.
Would you mind explaining a little of your beliefs?

This could indeed be seen as a sort of obedience to GOD which could have been some prerequisite to being mercifully given faith, but am not sure.
I believe God gives all a measure of faith. It sounds as if you have been influenced much by Luther and or Calvin?

I do think hearing God's Truth is not as easily heard as it was when the apostles themselves preached it during the laying of the foundation. God testified to what they said by allowing them to do miraculous things. We have so many denominations out there now with so many false doctrines that to actually trust someone to teach you the truth is a hard thing. Most people cause more confusion than help. After we study from so many different sources, we end up having to repent of all that we knew.
I do agree though really; I think we can have a small partial knowledge of the will of God as it pertains to our life and life as a whole, but to deny such and in doing so, being unfaithful/ disbelieving, or placing wants above said knowledge of GOD (idol worship), one will find themselves bereft of even said small portion they had been initially entrusted with.

I think we are in some level of agreement.?.?.

peace

I am so glad that we do have much in agreement.

Truster

The English word repent is totally inadequate in conveying the force of the new testament Greek. In fact the word repentance has not been translated from the original Greek, but from Romance and Latin.

It actually takes 10 English words to convey what the word repentance means:

"Afterwards to have another mentality than that which went before" (JM)

Truster

Luke 5:32

Sinners are called to repentance. Which proves that repentance is not available to man as a right or ability.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
God just humbled me.

I have been boastful.

I will try to refrain my big mouth.

My point was that verse was not clear at all.

There are many verses like that.

that's why I stick to what Jesus says.

Truster

God just humbled me.

I have been boastful.

I have often seen things in verses that I hadn't seen before. Being humbled at the hand of the Almighty is a wonderful experience. Not at the time, but with hindsight. Rejoice that He took the time to do so.

Spockrates

It is to change direction; not in a wholly literal sense. It also means to stop.

When you see it says "repent not" in scripture in means do not stop.

peace

Thank you. I suppose there are different ways to make such a U-turn. One might stop and change direction with one's thoughts, or with one's words, or with one's deeds.

When it comes to the U-turn required for eternal salvation, which of these do you think is required of me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spockrates

Know that mistakes made are lessons to be learned. This too brings about repentance.

If you couldn't perceive the mistakes then you would be of the ignorant. The mere fact that you do feel shame shows that you are meant to be close to GOD in my opinion.

Patience friend, and perseverance in what you KNOW of the will of GOD in your personal life.

Peace friend.

If you object to me interjecting with unwarranted advice to a post that was never intended for me then I understand. Just let me know.

Your thoughtful comment is welcome. Dude! Thanks!

Spockrates

Foundation.

True love is faithfulness. It is evergiving and unconditional.

Though the fear of GOD may lead one to devotion and faithfulness; in having said devotion and unwavering love one would have no thing to fear whatsoever.

The fear of GOD as I understand it is the fear of the consiquinces of one's own actions or the lack there of. If one is a devout love or holds a devout love; a true love without waver, then their actions would reflect such a love at all concievablecases intervals.

Such an individual would have no shame upon judgement and no fear in life on this plane or material existence.

peace

1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

It seems to me much of scripture is ambiguous, as is this passage. For there is another possible meaning: The perfect love is not my love for God, which I fear will never be perfect, but God's love for me.

Which possibility is more probable I don't know.

Spockrates

Foundation.

Yes, as in what you say might very well be the truth and nothing but the truth, but not quite the whole truth. Keep in mind that I don't know if my opinion about this is true. I just see it might be a possibility. I've often found after exploring what appears to be two opposing ideas that they actually are not at odds with one another, but focus on different aspects of a truth. Have you ever discovered the same?

musterion

God just humbled me.

I have been boastful.

An apology for boasting that ends with more boasting.

Spockrates

Foundation.

I think that is a good way of saying it.

Yeah, no. I mean, I agree it's illogical to fear what I've already decided to do, but that's not the fear I'm talking about. The fear occurs during the temptation, before the decision is made to sin or not to sin. At that moment, before the decision, I fear (as the pirate First Mate Silver chose for a vital task from my illustration) letting God down.

A soldier might fear the same before deciding to giving in to the temptation to give in to cowardice before the decision to commit a cowardly act is made. She might fear letting her commanding officer down.

Truster

An apology for boasting that ends with more boasting.

...That attracts stupid remarks like yours. Leave the lady alone and stop using threads to attack people. This neither interests nor concerns you. If you want a verse for that:

"Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of Elohim.".

musterion

...That attracts stupid remarks like yours. Leave the lady alone and stop using threads to attack people.

1. Meshak is not what you think.

2. I made an observation. A correct one.

3. Report me if you think I broke a rule, you pathetic legalist.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
...That attracts stupid remarks like yours. Leave the lady alone and stop using threads to attack people. This neither interests nor concerns you. If you want a verse for that:

"Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of Elohim.".

I will leave you alone too.

thank you.

Truster

1. Meshak is not what you think.

2. I made an observation. A correct one.

3. Report me if you think I broke a rule, you pathetic legalist.

My irony meter just blew and entered low earth orbit.

Why is it that people who question the integrity of others always go on to prove they have none of their own?

Status
Not open for further replies.