ECT For those who believe God requires works to be or stay saved

turbosixx

But, how do you know what he wants you to do . . .your feelings in a particular matter . . . guessing at the thing??

We are to love God and love our neighbor, that covers what is expected of us. As we learn God's will and mature it becomes easier to know how we are to live for God.

Heb. 5:13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

There is no punch list of all the things we should do like the OT but here is some showing what's acceptable and what's not.

Gal. 5:19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
We are to love God and love our neighbor, that covers what is expected of us. As we learn God's will and mature it becomes easier to know how we are to live for God.

Heb. 5:13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

There is no punch list of all the things we should do like the OT but here is some showing what's acceptable and what's not.

Gal. 5:19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

You should get busy !! You have a lot to do to maintain your salvation !

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Adding 'works' to the doctrine of faith is straight out of the Catholic desire for others to work for the Church. Without such an ideology, you can't get people to obey the pope or think of them as holier than yourself which was the case until fairly recently. The only reason the Church still clings to 'faith and works' today is because to dismiss it will compromise their infallibility complex.

I don't believe most Catholics or the Church even really believe in 'faith and works', they just think that they do. Because to do so pretty much damns the majority of the laity by such belief, which the Church doesn't do.

Faith in and of itself produces works if it is a decent faith. There was never any other reason to have to include 'woks' beside it. 'Faith alone' is the true teaching of the scriptures.

brewmama

Adding 'works' to the doctrine of faith is straight out of the Catholic desire for others to work for the Church. Without such an ideology, you can't get people to obey the pope or think of them as holier than yourself which was the case until fairly recently. The only reason the Church still clings to 'faith and works' today is because to dismiss it will compromise their infallibility complex.

I don't believe most Catholics or the Church even really believe in 'faith and works', they just think that they do. Because to do so pretty much damns the majority of the laity by such belief, which the Church doesn't do.

Faith in and of itself produces works if it is a decent faith. There was never any other reason to have to include 'woks' beside it. 'Faith alone' is the true teaching of the scriptures.

No it isn't.
Faith by itself is in fact a work. This was never an issue for 1500 years, and is something Protestants just made up from whole cloth. Never was an issue in the East.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Faith by itself is in fact a work.
Nope!

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Ephesians 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

Ephesians 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Ephesians 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

OCTOBER23

What is their purpose? How do works figure in to you getting or staying justified, to the point that without works you will be lost? What is it exactly that your works do for you, or for God, or both?

============================

WHAT WORKS ? - GOOD WORKS , LEGAL WORKS, PHYSICAL WORKS, SPIRITUAL WORKS.

......GOOD WORKS ARE FOR REWARDS IN THE FUTURE......

:king:

brewmama

Nope!

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Ephesians 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

Ephesians 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Ephesians 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

You do realize that not one of those quotes negates what I said, right?

heir

TOL Subscriber
You do realize that not one of those quotes negates what I said, right?
You cannot show where faith in the dispensation of the gospel includes work on our part (Romans 4:4-5 KJV, Titus 3:5 KJV) that's why you haven't!

Right Divider

Body part
Walk like the heathens. :idunno: See how that works out for you. Eph 4:1

ChopperEmo.gif
Make some sense and I'd be glad to follow along.

Quoting the SECOND HALF of a sentence from scripture, by itself, is a misused of scripture.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You cannot show where faith in the dispensation of the gospel includes work on our part (Romans 4:4-5 KJV, Titus 3:5 KJV) that's why you haven't!

Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Right Divider

Body part
Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
That AIN'T dispensation of the grace of God material.

You just do not understand anything in scripture.