For everyone who is concerned about my eternal soul

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
See how Uber wants to vent his spleen, he cries for justice....then slam-bams God for being angry at sin all the day long.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Unacceptable......

Unacceptable......

Hogwash.

You are just a faggot atheist that also thinks you can run the world better than GOD.

Wow. Shall we report you for name calling? This is below the belt even for you. Regardless of your lifetime-member status this is inappropriate. I recommend a redress. Also noting all those aagreeingugreeing with these sentiments ganging up on GBB to defend their 'concept' of God as if God needed their help.

The main issue in the OP was addressing the concept of torturing souls in eternal hellfire, or ECT (eternal conscious torment). I've challenged the 'belief' as insane on a variety levels here. Whether this is a misconception or not, its the idea, belief or concept that is being rejected as ilogocal, if not insane. Hence one might be apt to reject the 'God' involved.

Try addressing the main subject instead making personal jabs and insults. I understand we can get impassioned at times and let things slip....but there is an interval of time available to us before we hit the 'submit' button and we can edit or apologize later too. I too deal with buffoons, some that present themselves as real idiots, ignorant, bigoted, crass, vile....you name it. Ugly is ugly no matter what religious dressing you throw on it. Its challenging to engage these types so must do carefully, calling out their behavior, but trying not to engage in ad hominems or demeaning them personally. If we miss discussing the subject, ideas, principles, concepts, letting egos flare up... it just becomes a merry-go-round going nowhere with people being hurt.

Calling somone a 'faggot' crosses the line.

pj

glorydaz

Wow. Shall we report you for name calling? This is below the belt even for you. Regardless of your lifetime-member status this is inappropriate. I recommend a redress. Also noting all those aagreeingugreeing with these sentiments ganging up on GBB to defend their 'concept' of God as if God needed their help.

The main issue in the OP was addressing the concept of torturing souls in eternal hellfire, or ECT (eternal conscious torment). I've challenged the 'belief' as insane on a variety levels here. Whether this is a misconception or not, its the idea, belief or concept that is being rejected as ilogocal, if not insane. Hence one might be apt to reject the 'God' involved.

Try addressing the main subject instead making personal jabs and insults. I understand we can get impassioned at times and let things slip....but there is an interval of time available to us before we hit the 'submit' button and we can edit or apologize later too. I too deal with buffoons, some that present themselves as real idiots, ignorant, bigoted, crass, vile....you name it. Ugly is ugly no matter what religious dressing you throw on it. Its challenging to engage these types so must do carefully, calling out their behavior, but trying not to engage in ad hominems or demeaning them personally. If we miss discussing the subject, ideas, principles, concepts, letting egos flare up... it just becomes a merry-go-round going nowhere with people being hurt.

Calling somone a 'faggot' crosses the line.

pj

Over the line for whom? Certainly not for faggots since they call each other that all the time.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Over the line for whom? Certainly not for faggots since they call each other that all the time.

Over the line for most respectful types in the LGBT community, since it is mostly used in a defamatory demeaning sense (even if a few die-hards try to convert it in another way). The word 'queer' is less incriminating and openly accepted by some, it doesnt carry as much harm and negativity as 'faggot'.

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
It makes me chuckle each time some foolish person comes to a Christian Theology site to say that GOD is an unjust meanie.

Gods character and actions are open to criticism, so how we interpret such affects how we judge. I can empathize on the torment issue, although I think the 'spitting on god' motif, even if just a metaphor...is a bit overboard ;)

pj

GFR7

Anyone could run the world better than your vision of what god is about.

Use that f word again toward me and the gloves are off - and I won't hold back. You have been warned!
I would agree that an argument can be had without using the word "faggot". I don't like that term, nor any derogatory terms - it weakens any argument for certain.

Of course aCW has called me that numerous times :jawdrop:

musterion

Use that f word again toward me and the gloves are off - and I won't hold back. You have been warned!

sFi_slapfight.gif~c200

musterion

Not impressive, coming from a leftist who just got banned for saying what he really thinks about black people. Try another moral outrage channel, the anti-bigotry station is off the air for you.

Gurucam

Hi everyone, I didn't plan on doing this, but when I posted a question in the Religion forum I got a bunch of people wanting to argue with me about my eternal soul, about whether I have read the bible properly, whether I have the right spirit, etc. I really didn't feel like discussing it in that thread, and I really didn't feel like discussing it at all, but since so many people are asking about me personally rather than having something helpful to say in answer to my question, here goes.

I have carefully read and carefully studied the bible for 35 years, ever since I was 13 years old and was told by my abusive stepfather that I will burn in agony in real fire for eternity. I believed it, and when I read the bible, I believed it even more. After many years of terror, when I was about 30 years old, a still, small voice came to me and said, "Torture is wrong."

I have studied science, history, literature, archaeology, biblical scholarship, and many other very nerdy related scholarly fields my whole life, because I am a total nerd. I can point to many, many reasons why I find the bible to be implausible from many, many scholarly vantage points. But none of that matters to me on a personal level, because all I need to know is one thing, and I discovered it independent of all my decades of research: Torture is wrong.

The only way to have an argument about something is to find some common philosophical ground. If you think torture can ever be morally justified, then you and I simply have nothing to talk about. I will not discuss it. I openly and freely admit that I am absolutely closed to any discussion on the matter.

Call me religious. Here's my creed.

A god that wants people to sing joyfully to it while other people burn in agony for eternity is a demon that does not know the first thing about compassion or morality.

A god that can't stomach fire torture but cowardly falls back on some lesser horror like eternal despair is a demon that does not know the first thing about compassion or morality.

The Atheistic Good News is that even without supernatural help, almost every atheist in the world would BEG God to release you, or any human, or any living thing, from such horror. We would never sing. We could never sing, even if we wanted to, because we would be instinctively compelled to beg for your release. Even without supernatural help, just at an animal-instinct level, we love all living things more than eternal-suffering people love their fellow humans.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally spit in that god's face.

The title of your thread is: For everyone who is concerned about my eternal soul.

However this does not seem to be your agenda.

You seem bent on proving that God is many things which you perceive to be bad and you spit in His face.

Do you perceive that the path for expressing concern for 'your eternal soul' is to attempt to prove that God is many things which you perceive to be bad and your spiting in His face.

Are you looking for people who agree with you? And do you think that that will be an expression of concern for 'your eternal soul'?

For what, are you looking?

I am not saying that you are either right or wrong. I am simply seeking a starting point of understanding.

[size=+1]For example I do not know that God wants anyone to sing joyfully while other people burn in agony for eternity. I discern that God does not have any particular choice in that matter. Things will work as they will work and each person reaps what he sows. And so be it.

It is confirmed that God sent His son to earth to show humans the path through which each of then might avoid being burnt in agony for eternity. Fact is agony exists and burning in hell exists. God created heaven and earth and the depths of earth where it is very hot and uncomfortable. If this was not so earth would not have existed to support human life. For example crude oil would not have been made and growing of food would not have been possible. It was never intended for humans to go into the depths of earth. However some human chose to go there under their own free will. During their left they identify so strongly with things related to the depths of earth that they go there when they die. They do not identify with things of spirit heaven.

You conclusions that "God wants some people to sing joyfully while other people burn in agony for eternity", seem to be an assumption and it is very dangerous to condemn any one, even God on assumptions. That is equal to deny, persecute and blaspheme without due care and attention. That seems to be reckless endangerment . . . of one's own spirit and soul. [/size]

Last edited:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have carefully read and carefully studied the bible for 35 years, ever since I was 13 years old and was told by my abusive stepfather that I will burn in agony in real fire for eternity. I believed it, and when I read the bible, I believed it even more. After many years of terror, when I was about 30 years old, a still, small voice came to me and said, "Torture is wrong."

The only way to have an argument about something is to find some common philosophical ground. If you think torture can ever be morally justified, then you and I simply have nothing to talk about. I will not discuss it. I openly and freely admit that I am absolutely closed to any discussion on the matter.

It's a bit hard to debate a subject when you have expressly stated already that you are closed to further debate. So I don't really expect an answer but I wouldn't want to leave it there as if there wasn't an answer. So here it is anyway.

God gave the Israelites a law to teach them the difference between right and wrong. In order to get them to learn, the law, as you might expect, needed authority. All law is like that: you don't get to obey the law when you feel like it and hang it when you don't. If you disobey the law then you can expect to be punished and rightly so.
But teaching people the difference between right and wrong is not the same as teaching them to act rightly. To do that, you need more than punishment for wrongdoing, you need motivation. You need conscience.

That's why God sent Jesus. In him, we have a new relationship with God that depends on faith, not on keeping law. It is like being in the ruler's family instead of just being one of the ruler's subjects. The subjects need to keep the law but no matter how much they keep it, it won't make them family. Only being family guarantees you a right relationship with the king. And family are not subject to the law. The law is for subjects, not family. In God's kingdom, you are a subject and if you break the law you will be punished. But God is in the habit of adopting into his family all those who believe.

In said family you can break the law and nothing will happen to you. Effectively you aren't breaking the law at all because for family there is no law anyway. But you can do the things that subjects are not allowed to do and get away with it. Yes, that is what we teach.

But what we also teach is that in the family of God, we live by new principles. We don't go around breaking the law because that is fun. We do it because there are higher principles involved. The king's family have a different motivation; they work for the kingdom whereas the subjects only work for themselves. That is why the subjects need laws to keep them in order. Those who live by faith are quite happy with lying to terrorists, killing attackers or eating meat on Friday. Their motivation is to promote and defend justice, be merciful to the repentant or the innocent, to proclaim the Gospel and to be people you can trust, even if it is to their cost. And in general we who are family keep the law more than subjects do, because we are motivated and because the law is good. We set examples - subjects fear for their own skin.

I'm sorry to hear that your dad was a terrorist and that you grew up in fear. I didn't have an exactly pleasant childhood either. And whilst I can sympathise greatly with your view that torture is wrong, I can't make a rule about it. Rules are for subjects, I am family.

And I doubt anyway that there is a place of torment where wrongdoers are tortured with unending pain. I don't think the Bible teaches that. I (and many others - perhaps as much as half of all Christians outside the Catholic church) think that at the judgement you will be presented with your wrongdoing and then you will be thrown into the fire of judgement - where you will be burnt up. Not tortured. Caput. End. Snuffed out. Whilst the righteous (not those who managed to keep the law but those who are family) will be resurrected to eternal life.

If that is true, then it is a principle that presages the death penalty rather than torture and I would be inclined to agree that torture is unjust and should be fought against. But as I said, I can't make a rule about it because I don't know for sure that in every circumstance the rule will be valid. Rules are for the immature, for subjects, not for those in the kingdom. In the kingdom, we use our heads because we are led by the Holy Spirit; we don't do blind obedience, which is how all those who live under rules are. And we don't usually go around spitting on our opponents.

Last edited:

oatmeal

These people are not concerned with your immortal soul or your self-esteem for the evening. They are concerned with preserving their world view, and they don't mind overlooking obvious flaws. They chalk up the stupid, the contradictory, and the evil to being too complex for humans to understand. It's an easy out for them.

U,

I rewrote your post to fit the situation more appropriately.

You are not concerned with your soul or your self-esteem for the evening. You are concerned with preserving your world view, and you don't mind overlooking obvious flaws. You chalk up the stupid, the contradictory, and the evil to being too complex for humans to understand. It's an easy out for you.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
I got a warning that I was falsely reporting posts. I don't know if that means I falsely reported that I made a post, or that I made claims about the answers that people gave me.
That might be because a mod thinks you have falsely reported a post as in violation of the forum rules when it does not actually read as such or that the mod likes the person that you reported more than he or she likes you. That is how a Christian Forum functions: It's not what you do, it's who you know. This kind of thing is closely tied to their religious philosophy. If you know Jesus, feel free to sin with impunity. The mafia functions under similar mores. So shaadap if you knows whats good for you ! Capeesh?

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
U,

I rewrote your post to fit the situation more appropriately.

You are not concerned with your soul or your self-esteem for the evening. You are concerned with preserving your world view, and you don't mind overlooking obvious flaws. You chalk up the stupid, the contradictory, and the evil to being too complex for humans to understand. It's an easy out for you.

Very creative !