Faith Without Works Is Dead

SimpleMan77

Can either one of you define love from the scriptures?

Read 1 Corinthians 13. It culminates with the statement that love is more important than faith or hope.

That's not to say the other two (faith and hope) aren't important - in fact the Bible says we are saved by faith and that we are saved by hope, so both are not only important, they are necessary.

But, as necessary as they are, love is more necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Read 1 Corinthians 13. It culminates with the statement that love is more important than faith or hope.

That's not to say the other two (faith and hope) aren't important - in fact the Bible says we are saved by faith and that we are saved by hope, so both are not only important, they are necessary.

But, as necessary as they are, love is more necessary.

I said
1Co 13 shows you evidence of love but it doesn't define love. Have you learned that love is not a feeling?

SimpleMan77

I said
1Co 13 shows you evidence of love but it doesn't define love. Have you learned that love is not a feeling?

Here's the best definition of love I know

2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Here's the best definition of love I know

2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

I said
I posted a revelation on Love Defined. I think you will find it interesting.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I changed my mind and I now do not think he was saved.

Simon believed and was baptized, yet he was not saved as you also agree.

Act 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

Jerry Shugart

Simon believed and was baptized, yet he was not saved as you also agree.

Act 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

Yes, he was a miracle made believer but he never believed with his heart:

"Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men" (Jn.2:23-24).​

However, those who do believe with their heart receive "life" when they believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:31).​

SimpleMan77

1 John 3:9 "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God." is a good way to know whether or not you've been born again. for my self i haven't sinned since i was born again.

James 4:17
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

If you have ever not prayed when you knew you should, or not given to the poor person beside the road when you knew you should, it is sin.

SimpleMan77

haha! not praying is a sin now? XD

Being prompted by the Spirit to do something, and not doing it, is sin.

My point here is that you haven't been sinless since your conversion. It doesn't take long to sin and come short of His Glory, but grace...

Jerry Shugart

1 John 3:9 "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God." is a good way to know whether or not you've been born again. for my self i haven't sinned since i was born again.

Just curious but how long ago were you born again?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I said

I Jn 1:8-10
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
(NKJ)

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The letter of John is speaking of a particular sin, in that of hating your brother as Cain did.

In that you may never have sinned, in lesser matters one can not be so sure.

LA

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
There are three types of sin. If you don't know the difference you could be in big trouble.
Three Types Of Sin

The ones you dont have to repent of.

1 Pet 4:8
8 And above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins."
(NKJ)

The ones you must repent of.

2 Pet 3:9
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
(NKJ)

And the unforgiveable sin. That it doesnt do any good to repent of.
Matt 12:31-32
31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.
32 "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.
(NKJ)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Faith Works-Grace
Luke 17:5-10
5 And the apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith."
6 So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.
7 "And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and sit down to eat'?
8 "But will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink'?
9 "Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.
10 "So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.'"
John 15:14
14 "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
John 15:17
17 "These things I command you, that you love one another.
Rom 10:17
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
2 Pet 1:5-8
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge,
6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness,
7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.
8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Gal 5:24
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Eph 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
II Th 2:16-17
16 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace,
17 comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work.
Rom 10:17
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Matt 11:15
15 "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!
Matt 10:27
27 "Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops.
2 Tim 4:2-4
2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;
4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
John 17:17-19
17 "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
18 "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
19 "And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.
Matt 5:37
37 "But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.
Matt 13:18-23
18 "Therefore hear the parable of the sower:
19 "When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside.
20 "But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy;
21 "yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles.
22 "Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.
23 "But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."
Matt 13:24-30
24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field;
25 "but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way.
26 "But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared.
27 "So the servants of the owner came and said to him, 'Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?'
28 "He said to them, 'An enemy has done this.' The servants said to him, 'Do you want us then to go and gather them up?'
29 "But he said, 'No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them.
30 'Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, "First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn."'"
(NKJ)
xxx Our grace that was uncilicited is the new testament. The new testament is the law of Christ. Our faith is that God gave everything we need to Jesus. Our faith in Jesus is that He told us exactly what God gave Him. Our works is obeying everything that Jesus told us.

Rom 16:26
26 but now has been made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures has been made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith--
(NKJ)