• Yes

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

COGTHW

They can. But I'm no demon. I just have truth only thru the Spirit of the Almighty God of heaven. By the power of God the Lord of heaven, we can go on ANY TOPIC ANY that has to do with His word or Him and the Lord will lead me to truth and Scripture.

Obey Jesus Christ

beameup

For it is God which worketh in you [if you are saved] both to will and to do of his good pleasure. - Phil 2:13

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. - Gal 2:16

And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: - Phil 3:9

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Eternal security is right out of the theological mind of John Calvin, more appropriately known as Perseverance of the Saints. It means that if a person forfeits their faith they were never saved to begin with.

You only get saved once, as opposed to falling in and out- but at the same time, one can still be Hell bound in being reprobate.
That's the beauty of predestinarian theology- it fits everything together.

But people have gone and misconstrued it, coming up with bogus claims of 'free grace' and otherwise rejecting God's sovereignty in the matter.

marhig

From the Believer's Bible Commentary.

Verses 20-22 refer, not to the false teachers themselves, but to their victims. They are people who had reformed but were not born againThrough a partial knowledge of Christ and of Christian principles, they had turned from a life of sin and begun a moral house cleaning.Then they came under the influence of false teachers who mock puritanical virtue and crusade for liberation from moral inhibitions. They become involved again in the very sins from which they had been temporarily delivered. As a matter of fact they sink lower than before because now that religious restraints are gone, there is nothing to hold them back. So it is true their latter state is worse than the first.
I'm afraid it's not true. I'm a totally different person now that my heart belongs to God. God has changed me completely, and we're taught to deny ourselves and please God. Jesus didn't teach us that we are to deny ourselves and bare our cross if we don't have to do anything.

It's more like those who are taught that they don't have to do anything and that they are saved regardless of what they do, they are the the ones more likely to get into worse sin because they live under a false security. I've known a fair few people like this some who have been family members, who live their life as normal, no change whatsoever in their lives and they say they're saved regardless, if Christ was truly in their hearts they would live very differently I how they do or did. To be saved means that we are turning from sin, not that we are living in it and continuing to do so knowing it's wrong before God using Jesus to excuse us saying that he has done it all for us and we don't have to do anything!

Sin is wrong and we are to obey God. If our conscience pricks us we should listen and not be like Saul kicking against them. To love God is to obey him and deny our flesh and love others as ourselves and in doing so, we will be following his beloved son Jesus Christ!

COGTHW

I'm afraid it's not true. I'm a totally different person now that my heart belongs to God. God has changed me completely, and we're taught to deny ourselves and please God. Jesus didn't teach us that we are to deny ourselves and bare our cross if we don't have to do anything.

It's more like those who are taught that they don't have to do anything and that they are saved regardless of what they do, they are the the ones more likely to get into worse sin because they live under a false security. I've known a fair few people like this some who have been family members, who live their life as normal, no change whatsoever in their lives and they say they're saved regardless, if Christ was truly in their hearts they would live very differently I how they do or did. To be saved means that we are turning from sin, not that we are living in it and continuing to do so knowing it's wrong before God using Jesus to excuse us saying that he has done it all for us and we don't have to do anything!

Sin is wrong and we are to obey God. If our conscience pricks us we should listen and not be like Saul kicking against them. To love God is to obey him and deny our flesh and love others as ourselves and in doing so, we will be following his beloved son Jesus Christ!

22 'In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:'

23 'If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;' Colossians 1:22-23 ; We have to be holy before God. So He won't reject us.! Man I love the Lord this morning. Truth with scriptures and His Spirit.

Jdorman

Are you eternally secure or can you loose your salvation?

1Pe 4:17* For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?*
1Pe 4:18* Now "IF THE RIGHTEOUS ONE IS SCARCELY SAVED, WHERE WILL THE UNGODLY AND THE SINNER APPEAR?"*
1Pe 4:19* Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.*

This makes it sound like you can believe and not be saved. Even the righteous were scarcely saved!

musterion

1Pe 4:17* For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?*
1Pe 4:18* Now "IF THE RIGHTEOUS ONE IS SCARCELY SAVED, WHERE WILL THE UNGODLY AND THE SINNER APPEAR?"*
1Pe 4:19* Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.*

This makes it sound like you can believe and not be saved. Even the righteous were scarcely saved!

Peter addressed a people who were awaiting their salvation. Paul addressed a people who had already received it.

Jdorman

Peter addressed a people who were awaiting their salvation. Paul addressed a people who had already received it.

1 Peter 1:1 "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,*"

According to the New International Commentary It is "Christians to whom Peter is writing"

Jdorman

The Relation Between Past, Present, and Future Salvation

Obviously, the three tenses of salvation are closely related. Future salvation will come only to those who have experienced past and present salvation in this life. Those who are saved in the present have full assurance of salvation in the future. However, a one-time past experience does not automatically guarantee future salvation. We are responsible for keeping our salvation until the end. Just as we have received past salvation through faith in Jesus, we will receive future salvation only if we continue to live by faith in Jesus. We can forfeit our present salvation and our promise of future salvation by a voluntary return to sin and unbelief. The link between past and future salvation is continuance in present salvation.

Many scriptural passages emphasize this truth. Jesus taught the absolute necessity of abiding in Him and keeping His commandments (John 15:1-14). He said, "He that endureth to the end shall be saved" (Matthew 10:22). "Whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). In this last verse, "believeth" is in the present tense, implying that continued present belief is necessary.

Likewise, Paul said the gospel of Christ is "the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth… For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith" (Romans 1:16-17). Salvation will come to those who move from faith to faith, to those who continue to live by faith.

Paul also stated, "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12). This does not mean we can save ourselves by our own plan or earn our own salvation. Rather, it means we must consciously abide in and keep our salvation. We should view salvation with awe and respect, realizing we can lose it if we do not value it. We should be watchful of Satan's tricks and timid of doing evil.

Many other verses give similar admonitions. "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee" (I Timothy 4:16). "Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off" (Romans 11:22). "I declare unto you the gospel… By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I have preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain" (I Corinthians 15:1-2). Many other passages teach that we can lose salvation through unbelief and disobedience. (Galatians 5:4; I Timothy 5:12; Hebrews 12:14-15; James 5:19-20; II Peter 1:10; 2:1; 2:20-21; Revelation 3:5).

In short, we have not yet received all the eternal benefits of salvation, and therefore our future salvation is still a hope. "We are saved by hope," and we have "the hope of salvation" (Romans 8:24; I Thessalonians 5:8). The hope of future salvation is more than a mere wish, however, for we have the promise and assurance of salvation if we continue to walk in the gospel. The one way to obtain eternal salvation is to find present salvation from sin in this life.

Also, this is a great chapter on the relationship between grace and faith:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090301...puserve.com/homepages/pentecostal/New-Ch2.htm

musterion

1 Peter 1:1 "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,*"

According to the New International Commentary It is "Christians to whom Peter is writing"

Peter referred to Gentiles in the sense of "they," not "we" or "us," both when he met Cornelius and in 1 Peter 2:12.

Jdorman

Peter referred to Gentiles in the sense of "they," not "we" or "us," both when he met Cornelius and in 1 Peter 2:12.

I am not sure that proves anything actually. I can call my entire church "they" and not mean to imply that I am not apart of my church.

Regardless of who he is writing to though, he still says that the "righteous" are scarcely saved.

A breakdown of the word used for righteous from Strongs:

dikaios
dik'-ah-yos
From G1349; equitable (in character or act); by implication innocent, holy (absolutely or relatively): - just, meet, right (-eous).

Those who are "holy" set apart, for God by God are scarcely saved! The NASB reads "scarcely" as with great difficulty.

Regardless of who he is talking to, he is saying that the righteous have to persevere to be saved.

turbosixx

Those whom God has forgiven all trespasses and justified as one with the body of Christ cannot be unforgiven and unjustified.

Those of you who voted yes, read Romans 8:33-34, believe it and shut up.

Maybe you need to read Roman 2:6-10, believe it and shut up.

...the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Last edited:

BoyStan

I am always a child of my earthly father. I cannot lose that connection even if I have no relationship with my father. This is the same with a believers eternal security. Once born of the Spirit they are a child of God. They cannot be unborn of God and lose that father son relationship. They are secure in that relationship. Eternal security of the believer is a reality.

musterion

Maybe you need to read Roman 2:6-10, believe it and shut up.

...the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

The context is the judgment of the world, not of those who are in Christ.

What would that seeking after eternal life and doing good entail, in Paul's view? Believing the Gospel of the grace of God and being eternally saved as a member of Christ.

What would the evil entail? Continued unbelief.

Shut up and believe it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Romans 8:1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life has set you free from the law of sin and death.…

Romans 8:34
Who is there to condemn us? For Christ Jesus, who died, and more than that was raised to life, is at the right hand of God--and He is interceding for us

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Paul said He was taught by Jesus. You sir cannot fight with the Spirit of God that dwells within me. You are confused and lost repent obey Acts 2:38

Obey Jesus Christ

You obey Jesus Christ.

John 5:24 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 6:28 Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the works of God?” 29 Jesus replied, “This is the work of God: to believe in the One He has sent.”

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Paul baptized man 14 'I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;

15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.' 1 Corinthians 1

Obey Jesus Christ

You left off this part of that passage:

17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.