Egalitarian society

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
First G.O.L.F. now this... :sibbie:

[Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair by Todd Starnes] "There aren’t too many places left in America where a guy can just be a guy and do guy things — like talk about sports and tell a few jokes and hoist back a root beer — or two.

But the barbershop is still one of those places — a sanctuary for manliness. Except — that is – in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

John Interval owns Barbiere – a high end gentleman’s barber shop in the town of Washington. The shop features leather chairs, beer on tap and Sinatra on the stereo.

The other day Mr. Interval was slapped with a big fine after he refused to cut a lady’s hair – $750.

The state’s Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs said he was guilty of gender discrimination.

But Mr. Interval says it’s got nothing to do with discrimination.

“I didn’t really consider it so much a discrimination thing as — it’s a barber shop — for guys,” he told television station KDKA..." Full text: Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair Mt 19:4 more

Related:

With an Invitation, a Gender Barrier at Harvard Falls

62726449fbad0a2d56d7c526e976ea1d.jpg

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
All egalitarian societies would be peasants, or plebiscites, who are riled by a small elite of partisans, or aristocrats. Call them chairmen, it makes no difference.

As to the sex-gender part,it is silly. If men rally did not like what women were dong, had all men swore to exclude women, then all women, exclude all men, the tension would be so extreme the first group to void the separation, would be able to set the course, yet this would be temporary, as there would be another, and so forth. All this mussy on sex differences is self evident. and all is cultural; and temporal, or actial and in that case cannot change.

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
He should have just cut her hair. He broke the law and the fine is a consequence. If he wanted male only he should have opened it as male only and followed the law that makes that possible. He chose as the business owner not to do that. So as a consequence he must not discriminate.

Lon

The other day Mr. Interval was slapped with a big fine after he refused to cut a lady’s hair – $750.
Much better than $150,000 for not baking a cake (still inordinately high at even $750 imho).

"I can't DO women's hair! I wasn't trained for that!" would have this lawsuit dropped, I think.

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
You discriminate every day. Do you put maggots or pasta on your dinner plate? Is 5:20

spaghetti.gif

He broke the law. He was fined. The law said he must not discriminate unless he opened the type of business where he can. He chose. So his discrimination was illegal. He should have just opened the type where can can.

This isn't hard to understand.

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
Much better than $150,000 for not baking a cake (still inordinately high at even $750 imho).

"I can't DO women's hair! I wasn't trained for that!" would have this lawsuit dropped, I think.

She wanted a male hair cut. Many women wear male hair cuts.

Lon

She wanted a male hair cut. Many women wear male hair cuts.
But if I don't do them, I'd be afraid to even try. I think it an acceptable reason for denial. It is not the same work, thus shouldn't be fined. You wouldn't expect a pregnancy doctor to have to do a check-up on a man, even if he/she is trained in general practice.

Affirmative Action has produced a communist and entitlement mentality. We used to go to war to keep that out of our society. :dizzy: We weren't stupid for 200 years, like SCOTUS, lawyers, and the ACLU would like you to believe.

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
But if I don't do them, I'd be afraid to even try. I think it an acceptable reason for denial. It is not the same work, thus shouldn't be fined. You wouldn't expect a pregnancy doctor to have to do a check-up on a man, even if he/she is trained in general practice.

Affirmative Action has produced a communist and entitlement mentality. We used to go to war to keep that out of our society. :dizzy: We weren't stupid for 200 years, like SCOTUS, lawyers, and the ACLU would like you to believe.

He knows all the styles he knows. Women's hair is the same as men. He broke the law, and was fined. That is good.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
He should have just cut her hair. He broke the law and the fine is a consequence. If he wanted male only he should have opened it as male only and followed the law that makes that possible. He chose as the business owner not to do that. So as a consequence he must not discriminate.

He did open it as male only and it says so right out front and in its name.

2C15152600000578-3226617-image-a-88_1441732398043.jpg

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Todd Starnes ? LOL !!! He's just a professional right-wing victim and whiner who is always screaming about the mythical "persecution " of Christians in America . How can any intelligent person take this clown seriously ? (But I shouldn't insult clowns ).
America is definitely a much more egalitarian society than it was in the past . Until fairly recently, the only people with any power and influence were rich, white , heterosexual Christian males .
Women could not vote until 1920 . The idea of a black president ,senator, governor , etc was considered unthinkable .
A woman like Hillary Clinton would have been impossible a century ago . Anyone who predicted that we would have a black president in the future would have been thought insane .
Our government, business , industry etc was entirely controlled by rich white, Christian males .
The idea of openly gay politicians would have been thought insane until recently . Or openly gay prominent people in any field .
Jews were often discriminated against . But the problem is that idiots like Starnes and his ilk want to go back to the imagined " good old days " of the past .
But America can NEVER do this . Attempting to destroy all the enormous progress we have made would be catastrophic .

PureX

And here we have yet another phony "news story" that contains almost no actual facts, but is instead a cute little popular opinion fantasy intended to tickle the 'we hate gender equality' bone. The sad thing is that it would actually be interesting to know what's being left out, here: did some woman come in wanting a hair cut and was refused? Why? How did that exchange go? Who was she? Why did she react with a law suit? What does the law specifically say regarding barber shops?

But of course, offering us actual information was the furthest thing from this writer's intent. And so we're not being given any. The intent was to pet the prejudice of the fuddy-duddies, and nothing more. Which makes it quite at home here on TOL. :chuckle:

Lon

He broke the law, and was fined. That is good.
Equal access has produced mediocrity. It was 'supposed' to ensure that someone with 'equal' qualifications, was given work, but the mediocre use it as a club AND the law requires percentages, as if, there is no question about equal qualification. In other words, it is reverse prejudice, in favor of mediocrity, favoring mediocre minority. It is welfare, entitlement, communist mentality. Discrimination against mediocrity is fine. Kids in a clubhouse with "no girls allowed" is fine. A private club for 'members only' is fine. None of that is bullying or unfair. You have a privilege (not a right) for a cake at your wedding. You do not have a 'right' to my cake. The law, is wrong and must be changed. Until it is, it will be the sanctioned criminal activity that it is. Obama is Mr. Affirmative Action, thus carries on this crime in office. Regardless, it is criminal. Just because the law says it is okay, doesn't make it right. Our laws must change.

PureX

Equal access has produced mediocrity. It was 'supposed' to ensure that someone with 'equal' qualifications, was given work, but the mediocre use it as a club AND the law requires percentages, as if, there is no question about equal qualification. In other words, it is reverse prejudice, in favor of mediocrity, favoring mediocre minority. It is welfare, entitlement, communist mentality. Discrimination against mediocrity is fine. Kids in a clubhouse with "no girls allowed" is fine. A private club for 'members only' is fine. None of that is bullying or unfair. You have a privilege (not a right) for a cake at your wedding. You do not have a 'right' to my cake. The law, is wrong and must be changed. Until it is, it will be the sanctioned criminal activity that it is. Obama is Mr. Affirmative Action, thus carries on this crime in office. Regardless, it is criminal. Just because the law says it is okay, doesn't make it right. Our laws must change.
Oh my! Oh, my! It's the end of the world! Hellish "mediocrity" has won the day! (As if capitalism has not long since turned 90% of America into one, big, ugly, artless, strip mall already!)

I believe all the business owner would have to demonstrate, in this case, is that the gender exclusive clientele is an essential aspect of the service being offered, and he's 'good to go'. (Similar to the requirement of male patrons wearing a jacket and tie in an upscale restaurant.) He already has a business sign implying that very thing, so I suspect if he fought this in court he'd stand a very good chance of winning.

Lon

Oh my! Oh, my! It's the end of the world! Hellish "mediocrity" has won the day! (As if capitalism has not long since turned 90% of America into one, big, ugly, artless, strip mall already!)

I believe all the business owner would have to demonstrate, in this case, is that the gender exclusive clientele is an essential aspect of the service being offered, and he's 'good to go'. (Similar to the requirement of male patrons wearing a jacket and tie in an upscale restaurant.) He already has a business sign implying that very thing, so I suspect if he fought this in court he'd stand a very good chance of winning.
:nono: My city makes 'ugly' trying to save a buck (they are doing a little better). Buildings are works of marvel. I suppose the budget conscious business owner isn't as concerned with aesthetics as functionality, but that is hardly 'mediocre.' :nono:

YOU make creative things. I'm surprised your entitlement trumps your craft :( Is everybody 'entitled to your lawn work, regardless of ability to pay? Or is it fine just to make them for family? When would such 'stop?' In a communist country you might not be able to do that for even family. In a communistic country, if you have something 'better' than another, they can take it away. We are heading that direction and the brakes must be applied. I don't want communism. You should be able to have a nicer car than I drive. Your mom should have your lawn creation without me or anybody being able to take it away. That would be 'wrong' and 'unlawful' even if a law in existence supported it. That is really what is happening in America, wrong laws are being allowed to be applied, pushed through the courts, serving minority special interest groups, against most of America. Doing so means, necessarily, the majority will eventually have to disappear and some weird cliques will be all that is left here. It would get worse and there'd no longer be a 'united' States. It is destroying our own laws and Constitution. We will cease/are ceasing to be that kind of country. We used to force a level of conformity "United." It was a good thing, regardless of minority complaint. Minorities don't have to live here. The rest of us (majority) have no place else to go.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
First G.O.L.F. now this... :sibbie:

[Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair by Todd Starnes] "There aren’t too many places left in America where a guy can just be a guy and do guy things — like talk about sports and tell a few jokes and hoist back a root beer — or two.

But the barbershop is still one of those places — a sanctuary for manliness. Except — that is – in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

John Interval owns Barbiere – a high end gentleman’s barber shop in the town of Washington. The shop features leather chairs, beer on tap and Sinatra on the stereo.

The state’s Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs said he was guilty of gender discrimination.

But Mr. Interval says it’s got nothing to do with discrimination.

“I didn’t really consider it so much a discrimination thing as — it’s a barber shop — for guys,” he told television station KDKA..." Full text: Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair Mt 19:4

Related:

With an Invitation, a Gender Barrier at Harvard Falls

62726449fbad0a2d56d7c526e976ea1d.jpg

A real easy fix, make it a private membership shop. Then those who dont like it, can :cry: all day but wont be able to do anything about it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
What a bunch of crybabies america is turning out these days, i guess its the result of participation trophy thinking, where people cant handle being told no.

Reactions: Lon