Does Romans 7:1-3 affirm different rules for women and men regarding adultery?

Sonnet

"2 Sa 12:8 your master’s wives. This phraseology means nothing more than that God in His providence had given David, as king, everything that was Saul’s. There is no evidence that he ever married any of Saul’s wives, though the harem of eastern kings passed to their successors. Ahinoam, the wife of David (2:2; 3:2; 1 Sam. 25:43; 27:3; 30:5), is always referred to as the Jezreelitess, whereas Ahinoam, the wife of Saul, is distinguished clearly from her by being called “the daughter of Ahimaaz” (1 Sam. 14:50)." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 443). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

2 Samuel 5:13
After he left Hebron, David took more concubines and wives in Jerusalem, and more sons and daughters were born to him.

David was polygamous and was never rebuked for it. Indeed, 1 Kings 15:5 implies that David obeyed God in doing so.

Sonnet

Keep wondering (Re 22:11).
smileys-pig-625824.gif

Ok.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul's teaching on remarriage is this: "Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord, a wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife." (1 Corinthians 7:10-11)

Ben Masada

Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives? For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him. So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

Is it true that Paul could not have said this about men? We know that polygyny was common in the OT but I'm not aware of any cases of polyandry.

I read the text of Romans 7:1-6 and the theme of that text is not about adultery but freedom enjoyed by the widow from the laws that subjected her to her husband who had died. And that Paul put up that allegory to teach his policy of Replacement Theology that with the death of Jesus, Paul's followers had been released from the Law. Something that had nothing to do with the other but only to promote his policy of Replacement Theology.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[2 Sa 5:13]
"2 Sa 5:13 more concubines and wives. The multiplication of David’s wives and concubines was in direct violation of Deut. 17:17. These marriages reflected David’s involvement in international treaties and alliances that were sealed by the marriage of a king’s daughter to the other participants in the treaty. This cultural institution accounted for some of David’s and many of Solomon’s wives (see 1 Kin. 11:1–3). In each case of polygamy in Scripture, the law of God was violated and the consequences were negative, if not disastrous." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 434). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

And David took him more concubines and wives out of Jerusalem, after he was come from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters born to David [2 Sam. 5:13].

"That is the record of the facts. God did not put His stamp of approval upon what David did. We will find that God definitely disapproves of polygamy. In David’s son Solomon it resulted in the splitting of the kingdom and finally brought on the Babylonian captivity. Why? Because David and Solomon were kings and in places of leadership. Their actions were wrong. Who says they were wrong? God says they were wrong! After all, it is His universe, and He makes the rules. Although you may not like them, God’s rules are good. God not only created us, but He laid down rules and regulations for our lives which would bring to the human family the ultimate in happiness and blessing." McGee, J. V. (1997). Thru the Bible commentary (electronic ed., Vol. 2, p. 197). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
There was a point in time when God no longer allowed kings to have multiple wives, and by the time of the Babylonian exile, the practice was long forgotten.

Because of this, polygamy was never expounded on- it wasn't going on in either Rome or Greece, and so there was little need. The verses that seem to emphasize 'one spouse' are really about not divorcing and marrying another.

Christianity actually stiffens the rules on matrimony, because the Law can be looped through- which was the reason polygamy was valid in the first place.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

Surely nobody has a say do they?

It comes down to one simple idea.

The God of the Hebrew Scriptures Exalts Mercy over Sacrifice.

Mt. 9:13

Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy and not sacrifice. For I didn't come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Hosea 6:6

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

1st John 4

The one who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

John 3:17

17 For God did not send His Son into the world that He might condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

~~~~~ Jesus makes the claim to be the person of YHWH in Flesh amongst us as the Son of God and Son of Man.

John 5:39

You pore over the Scriptures because you think you have eternal life in them, yet they testify about Me.

John 8:58

Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I Am!"

John 14:9

Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

............... Paul and John state that Love is God and God is Love. This identifies the character of God and our calling to Love as His Sheep.

...... God rules with compassion and Mercy, while needy Creation rules with Selfishness and condemnation.

....... Man and Corrupted Angels seek to undermine the authority and Character of God by replacing God's work with their own.

........ Do we trust that the 66 book bible can be read as moral law that demands our work? Or, do we admit that God is Loving and only He can accomplish the needs of the soul.

We either put our hope, faith and Love into the works of our hands, or the work of God.

If this is understood, doubt rolls away like a stone from a tomb and let's our soul free.

Jesus is our heart and soul, and we are incomplete without Him.

This is the basic principle that the Dragon has been combatting since Eden.

Do we struggle to be like God, or do we Trust that He alone knows best and Is the personification of Mercy, Love and Humility?

What is your mind on this?

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

Sonnet

"2 Sa 5:13 more concubines and wives. The multiplication of David’s wives and concubines was in direct violation of Deut. 17:17. These marriages reflected David’s involvement in international treaties and alliances that were sealed by the marriage of a king’s daughter to the other participants in the treaty. This cultural institution accounted for some of David’s and many of Solomon’s wives (see 1 Kin. 11:1–3). In each case of polygamy in Scripture, the law of God was violated and the consequences were negative, if not disastrous." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 434). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

And David took him more concubines and wives out of Jerusalem, after he was come from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters born to David [2 Sam. 5:13].

"That is the record of the facts. God did not put His stamp of approval upon what David did. We will find that God definitely disapproves of polygamy. In David’s son Solomon it resulted in the splitting of the kingdom and finally brought on the Babylonian captivity. Why? Because David and Solomon were kings and in places of leadership. Their actions were wrong. Who says they were wrong? God says they were wrong! After all, it is His universe, and He makes the rules. Although you may not like them, God’s rules are good. God not only created us, but He laid down rules and regulations for our lives which would bring to the human family the ultimate in happiness and blessing." McGee, J. V. (1997). Thru the Bible commentary (electronic ed., Vol. 2, p. 197). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

For David had done what was right in the eyes of the Lord and had not failed to keep any of the Lord’s commands all the days of his life—except in the case of Uriah the Hittite.

Sonnet

It comes down to one simple idea.

The God of the Hebrew Scriptures Exalts Mercy over Sacrifice.

Mt. 9:13

Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy and not sacrifice. For I didn't come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Hosea 6:6

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

1st John 4

The one who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

John 3:17

17 For God did not send His Son into the world that He might condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

~~~~~ Jesus makes the claim to be the person of YHWH in Flesh amongst us as the Son of God and Son of Man.

John 5:39

You pore over the Scriptures because you think you have eternal life in them, yet they testify about Me.

John 8:58

Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I Am!"

John 14:9

Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

............... Paul and John state that Love is God and God is Love. This identifies the character of God and our calling to Love as His Sheep.

...... God rules with compassion and Mercy, while needy Creation rules with Selfishness and condemnation.

....... Man and Corrupted Angels seek to undermine the authority and Character of God by replacing God's work with their own.

........ Do we trust that the 66 book bible can be read as moral law that demands our work? Or, do we admit that God is Loving and only He can accomplish the needs of the soul.

We either put our hope, faith and Love into the works of our hands, or the work of God.

If this is understood, doubt rolls away like a stone from a tomb and let's our soul free.

Jesus is our heart and soul, and we are incomplete without Him.

This is the basic principle that the Dragon has been combatting since Eden.

Do we struggle to be like God, or do we Trust that He alone knows best and Is the personification of Mercy, Love and Humility?

What is your mind on this?

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

I am perplexed by your post NIG. To reach the point of trust then, presumably, scripture should 'add up'.
All I seem to see from Christians is division and contention.

MAybe I should lay off this because I just seem to be adding to the problem.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

I am perplexed by your post NIG. To reach the point of trust then, presumably, scripture should 'add up'.

Sonnet,

Division is the nature of man.

Please don't quit.

I'll quote the verse.

Galatians 5:19-21 (HCSB)

19 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, 21 envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar. tell you about these things in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

........... How do the bolded scriptures not agree with your evaluation?

You are speaking as Paul and Jesus.

Compare the spiritual implications of these works of the flesh in Galatians 5 to Matthew 23. They are identical.

I implore you to persevere on all of your observations.

You are speaking of a genuine issue that Paul warned about.

Carnal men are dividing over Carnal use of scripture, while denying the Power of God to Save and unify.

If anything, you are challenging professed followers of Jesus to get to know the genuine person of Jesus.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Again...why would an agnostic care what the Bible says? You said yesterday you don't believe it.

Such scriptures as these (and others) are the foundation of my doubt.
You don't have an intellectual problem. You have a heart problem. Clearly, you are not interested in holiness.

Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin (Heb 3:12–13).

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

Scripture condemns. I know you feel it when you read it. It humbles us and points out our flaws and folly.

Only the revealed person of Jesus answers that need.

It carnally points us to our need of God to escape our bodies of hypocrisy, while simultaneously pointing us to the genuine Provider of Faith, Hope and Love.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

What religion doesn't point out that there is something wrong with us?

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

You don't have an intellectual problem. You have a heart problem. Clearly, you are not interested in holiness.

Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin (Heb 3:12–13).

Serpent Dove,

Sonnet has no heart problem.

He has faith the size of a mustard seed.

Why are you Judaizing a man that is seeking faith to grow?

If salvation comes by observation of the Law of Moses, why was Galatians written?

If Jesus demands holiness from our flesh, than why did He die to provide the complete fix?

How can you keep turning Sonnets eyes to his flesh, when he is struggling to turn his eyes to Jesus?

Do you or do you not completely trust the Holy Spirit of Christ's work within all men?

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

Mark 9:

From childhood,” he said. 22 “And many times it has thrown him into fire or water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”

23 Then Jesus said to him, “‘If You can’? Everything is possible to the one who believes.”

24 Immediately the father of the boy cried out, “I do believe! Help my unbelief.”

Sonnet,

You are justified on your expressions of doubt. If believers crack under your words, then all it shows is the root of their unbelief.

Please don't quit.

You asked me to go on when I almost quit. You are the reason I came back.

This is the truth.