Does Romans 7:1-3 affirm different rules for women and men regarding adultery?

Sonnet

Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives? For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him. So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

Is it true that Paul could not have said this about men? We know that polygyny was common in the OT but I'm not aware of any cases of polyandry.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Is it true that Paul could not have said this about men? We know that polygyny was common in the OT but I'm not aware of any cases of polyandry.

The first issue here is that Paul is only parroting Jesus.

Also, Paul isn't speaking of earthly marriage.

He's talking about Jesus and the Bride.

Jesus announced Himself as the bride Groom.

Matthew 5:

27*“You have heard that it was said,*Do not commit adultery.*28*But I tell you, everyone who looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Jesus is talking about the Law of stone and amplifying it to make it clear that it can't be kept by us.

Our hearts are sinful.

But,

On spiritual terms, a woman is a body of believers. The core characteristics of the body of Christ is Love, forgiveness and self sacrifice towards humanity.

if a man were to even look at a body of believers that were contrary to this with a desire to become one with it, he would be commiting spiritual adultery.

Consider Lots wife who was saved from Sodom, but looked back and turned to a pillar of salt.

Now, think to Jesus's words about salt losing its saltiness and only being good to be thrown out and trampled by men.

Matthew 19:

.*3*Some Pharisees approached Him to test Him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife on any grounds?”

This is ironic, because Jesus is about to spiritually rebuke them by spiritually answering their question.

4*“Haven’t you read,”*He replied,*“that He who created them in the beginning*made them male and female,”*5*and He also said:

Jesus just identified that He is talking of Himself (The flesh of God the Creator), but secretly so, and He just dropped Spiritual marriage symbolism about the Bride and The BRIDEGROOM.

“For this reason a man will leave
his father and mother
and be joined to his wife,
and the two will become one flesh?

Jesus is pointing to the symbolism of Genisis and the fact that He has been Born of his Father God and His Mother Eve (Through Mary....Luke connects the two together in the lineage)

He left the Father from Heaven, and He left the Mother when He returned to Heaven.

He did this so He could once again be One flesh with His Bride (The children of Eve)

This is why later epistles refer to ecclesia as Bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh to Christ.

it is Jesus speak for saying we are now one with God, thanks to His spiritual equvilent to embracing His bride as a groom intimately embraces a bride in the song of Solomon. (Hint)

6*So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, man must not separate.”

Jesus joined us by His death and only hate and judgment tear anyone away from Him. I.e. A person. hating and judging unto death would be bad.

Moses is really good at tearing people away from God, but only by deception through the accuser.

Love binds humanity to God and that wedding cost Him His Life!

Wicked bodies of human corruption can easily seduce men's eyes and blind and self righteous bodies are the most destructive.

7*“Why then,” they asked Him, “did Moses command us to give divorce papers*and to send her away?”

This is ironic, because Her is about to be the very Pharisees asking this.

8*He told them,*“Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because of the hardness of your hearts. But it was not like that from the beginning.*9*

Jesus is warning them that the hardness of their hearts is causing them to divorce themselves from Him and their signed papers will be the Law of Moses.

And I tell you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual
immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

Well, remember the words.. "We have no King but Cesar".?

They married the Accuser that very second and became an utter, spiritual who're.

Now let's go into your post.

Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law

This is a reference to Roman Law and a symbol of Moses.

—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives?

Law of Moses..... Jewish Covenant... Jesus's death made all who rebuked Him and stayed married to the Law a widow, who're and bride to a wicked husband that is indeed a cruel task master.

For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive,[/QUOTE[

Again, Paul is emphasizing that the covenant of God was fulfilled at Jesus's death. The Groom died to the covenant.

but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him.

Again, all of Humanity was released from the Law of Moses at Jesus's death.

So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress.

To go back to Moses after Jesus is to be a spiritual who're and become spiritually, sexually immoral.

Also, during the time of Moses to Jesus, a new covenant could not have been established without God dying as the bride groom. The groom of the covenant had to die to keep his bride clean. (Not a Dirty bride)

But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

However, to be released from Moses and be married to Jesus is Good.

I promise this is not a law of the flesh. This is more of Paul dividing Law from Grace, or Jesus from Moses.

He and Jesus do this so frequently, it becomes humorous and difficult to see how any could believe that mankind has anything to do with their salvation.

Only 2 commands... LOVE God and LOVE one another. By 1 John, and the parable of the good Samaritan and the sheep and the goats, it becomes clear that we can fulfill the Love God part by Loving All humanity.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Last edited:

musterion

Again...why would an agnostic care what the Bible says? You said yesterday you don't believe it. Fine. What's to discuss?

Sonnet

Matthew 5:

27*“You have heard that it was said,*Do not commit adultery.*28*But I tell you, everyone who looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Jesus is talking about the Law of stone and amplifying it to make it clear that it can't be kept by us.

Our hearts are sinful.

But,

On spiritual terms, a woman is a body of believers. The core characteristics of the body of Christ is Love, forgiveness and self sacrifice towards humanity.

if a man were to even look at a body of believers that were contrary to this with a desire to become one with it, he would be commiting spiritual adultery.

Consider Lots wife who was saved from Sodom, but looked back and turned to a pillar of salt.

Now, think to Jesus's words about salt losing its saltiness and only being good to be thrown out and trampled by men.

Matthew 19:

.*3*Some Pharisees approached Him to test Him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife on any grounds?”

This is ironic, because Jesus is about to spiritually rebuke them by spiritually answering their question.

4*“Haven’t you read,”*He replied,*“that He who created them in the beginning*made them male and female,”*5*and He also said:

Jesus just identified that He is talking of Himself (The flesh of God the Creator), but secretly so, and He just dropped Spiritual marriage symbolism about the Bride and The BRIDEGROOM.

his father and mother

Jesus is pointing to the symbolism of Genisis and the fact that He has been Born of his Father God and His Mother Eve (Through Mary....Luke connects the two together in the lineage)

He left the Father from Heaven, and He left the Mother when He returned to Heaven.

He did this so He could once again be One flesh with His Bride (The children of Eve)

This is why later epistles refer to ecclesia as Bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh to Christ.

it is Jesus speak for saying we are now one with God, thanks to His spiritual equvilent to embracing His bride as a groom intimately embraces a bride in the song of Solomon. (Hint)

6*So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, man must not separate.”

Jesus joined us by His death and only hate and judgment tear anyone away from Him. I.e. A person. hating and judging unto death would be bad.

Moses is really good at tearing people away from God, but only by deception through the accuser.

Wicked bodies of human corruption can easily seduce men's eyes and blind and self righteous bodies are the most destructive.

7*“Why then,” they asked Him, “did Moses command us to give divorce papers*and to send her away?”

8*He told them,*“Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because of the hardness of your hearts. But it was not like that from the beginning.*9*

Jesus is warning them that the hardness of their hearts is causing them to divorce themselves from Him and their signed papers will be the Law of Moses.

They married the Accuser that very second and became an utter, spiritual who're.

Law of Moses..... Jewish Covenant... Jesus's death made all who rebuked Him and stayed married to the Law a widow, who're and bride to a wicked husband that is indeed a cruel task master.

For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive,

Again, Paul is emphasizing that the covenant of God was fulfilled at Jesus's death. The Groom died to the covenant.

To go back to Moses after Jesus is to be a spiritual who're and become spiritually, sexually immoral.

Also, during the time of Moses to Jesus, a new covenant could not have been established without God dying as the bride groom. The groom of the covenant had to die to keep his bride clean. (Not a Dirty bride)

I promise this is not a law of the flesh. This is more of Paul dividing Law from Grace, or Jesus from Moses.

He and Jesus do this so frequently, it becomes humorous and difficult to see how any could believe that mankind has anything to do with their salvation.

Only 2 commands... LOVE God and LOVE one another. By 1 John, and the parable of the good Samaritan and the sheep and the goats, it becomes clear that we can fulfill the Love God part by Loving All humanity.

I am baffled by your response. I am asking a specific question about adultery and the law and if there is one rule for women and another for men. Yes, the symbolism is there but that isn't the point of the thread.

Look at the contrast of:

Thou shalt not commit adultery

and

2 Samuel 2:7
Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

Where does this leave the 7th commandment?

musterion

Such scriptures as these (and others) are the foundation of my doubt.

Forgive me but no, they're not. The Bible says the root of your doubt is not your unanswered questions but your unbelief, but you can do something about that.

I was once where you are now, more or less. You could have every single objection and question satisfactorily answered from Scripture but if you still don't WANT to believe, you won't. And no answer you receive to your objections can of itself make you right with God.

So pardon my bluntness. You need to decide on what to do with what is the promised power of God unto your salvation. That power is the simple Gospel of grace -- that Christ died for your (and my) sins, was buried, and rose again for your (and my) justification. THAT, at this point, is the only thing you need to worry about. Everything else wastes YOUR time since you could drop dead of a stroke two minutes from now, as any of us might. That good news is the only information you NEED right now because it's the only information that will save you, if you simply believe it...not believe that that's what the Bible says but that it's true and intended FOR YOU.

So will you believe it?

If you won't, no answer to any question you can possibly ask will do you the slightest good. Indeed, they may harden you further against the Truth.

So? What do you say?

Sonnet

Forgive me but no, they're not. The Bible says the root of your doubt is not your unanswered questions but your unbelief, but you can do something about that.

I was once where you are now, more or less. You could have every single objection and question satisfactorily answered from Scripture but if you still don't WANT to believe, you won't. And no answer you receive to your objections can of itself make you right with God.

So pardon my bluntness. You need to decide on what to do with what is the promised power of God unto your salvation. That power is the simple Gospel of grace -- that Christ died for your (and my) sins, was buried, and rose again for your (and my) justification. THAT, at this point, is the only thing you need to worry about. Everything else wastes YOUR time since you could drop dead of a stroke two minutes from now, as any of us might. That good news is the only information you NEED right now because it's the only information that will save you, if you simply believe it...not believe that that's what the Bible says but that it's true and intended FOR YOU.

So will you believe it?

If you won't, no answer to any question you can possibly ask will do you the slightest good. Indeed, they may harden you further against the Truth.

So? What do you say?

But my point of view is that truth becomes so because everything points to it. I find myself disappointed with scripture and it's seeming contradictions.

Regarding your affirmation of 1 Cor. 15 - as we have seem, many Christians vehemently disagree with your interpretation of those verses - so it's no wonder I'm left baffled as to what is even being claimed by scripture for me to believe in.

Can't you see this?

I have no problem with your bluntness.

musterion

But my point of view is that truth becomes so because everything points to it. I find myself disappointed with scripture and it's seeming contradictions.

Regarding your affirmation of 1 Cor. 15 - as we have seem, many Christians vehemently disagree with your interpretation of those verses - so it's no wonder I'm left baffled as to what is even being claimed by scripture for me to believe in.

Can't you see this?

I have no problem with your bluntness.

Good. You'll either believe this or you won't:

The apostle Paul reminded the Corinthian believers -- many of whom (as I bet you already know) had been utter benighted pagans -- that ALL he had preached to them when he first arrived was Christ and Him crucified, as he reiterated in 1 Cor 15.

Now just stop and think about that a moment.

Paul said that this content is ALL THAT THE CORINTHIANS HEARD AND KNEW. And, believing it, they were saved and justified from all things.

That means knowing ONLY that, and believing it, was enough to save them.

THAT MEANS IT, ALONE, IS ENOUGH TO SAVE YOU.

God Himself promises you this.

So you'll either believe Him or you won't.

Don't argue interpretations with me on this. I'm just quoting what Paul said, who was verified by both Luke and Peter. Your coming to believe ANY other portion of Scripture will not matter if you don't believe what saved the Corinthians, which God wants you to believe too.

Choice is yours. Tick-tock, tick-tock... Acts 17:30-31.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Matthew 5:

Our hearts are sinful.

But,

Matthew 19:

his father and mother

For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive,[/QUOTE[

Nameless gets paid by the word -

Sonnet

Good. You'll either believe this or you won't:

The apostle Paul reminded the Corinthian believers -- many of whom (as I bet you already know) had been utter benighted pagans -- that ALL he had preached to them when he first arrived was Christ and Him crucified, as he reiterated in 1 Cor 15.

Now just stop and think about that a moment.

Paul said that this content is ALL THAT THE CORINTHIANS HEARD AND KNEW. And, believing it, they were saved and justified from all things.

That means knowing ONLY that, and believing it, was enough to save them.

THAT MEANS IT, ALONE, IS ENOUGH TO SAVE YOU.

God Himself promises you this.

So you'll either believe Him or you won't.

Don't argue interpretations with me on this. I'm just quoting what Paul said, who was verified by both Luke and Peter. Your coming to believe ANY other portion of Scripture will not matter if you don't believe what saved the Corinthians, which God wants you to believe too.

Choice is yours. Tick-tock, tick-tock... Acts 17:30-31.

I remain sceptical for reasons already given.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Does Romans 7:1-3 affirm different rules for women and men regarding adultery?

I am baffled by your response. I am asking a specific question about adultery and the law and if there is one rule for women and another for men. Yes, the symbolism is there but that isn't the point of the thread.

Look at the contrast of:

Thou shalt not commit adultery

and

2 Samuel 2:7
Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

Where does this leave the 7th commandment?

I know you are going to get sick of me doing this, but I don't mess with the flesh of scripture.

If I read scripture in the flesh, I'm sewing to my flesh.

*. Here's a mystery for you, if spiritual people read the bible to know God, then why do people assume that people who read the bible are reading the world in context of people who don't read the bible? And again, why do people assume people have to read the bible and know the name of God to know God, when people before Moses had no scripture?

I too never understood every little law and difference.

Then I read the most important scripture of all.

John 5:39

You pore over the Scriptures because you think you have eternal life in them, yet they testify about Me.

........... Then it hit me! I had been reading the Bible like a Pharisee. I wasn't looking for Jesus.

Because the bible is a compilation of books and letters that span 1000's of years, it is unique to any other religious text.

Jesus blew everything out of the water when He said that to the Pharisees.

Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees and Sadducees collectively, when He said this. The very fact that it made it to the Gospels means it was the talk of the town.

You probably know the old scholar trick to distinguish the Calvinism and Armeninism of the day. Both camps had poured over doctrines of men and generated more doctrines of men to the point that they had taken the scriptures of their time and created divisions.

Consider the Nazerines, Pharisees, Sadducees and so on.

History has simply repeated itself.

But, the old trick is to say; The fair-a-sees were fair you see, because they stressed laws upon laws and believed in life after death, but the sad-u-sees were sad you see, because they only believed in one go at life and then nothing.

~So, first and foremost, Jesus was being slick and spiritually revealing he was God. He just said; That book is about me. Every word of it is a reference to me and me above all.

~Secondly, He was ridiculing the fact that the biblical scholars couldn't recognize the very God they supposedly revered, as He stood there, in the flesh, before them. The living Scripture (Word) of God was right there, and they were blind as goodness.

~Third, He was pointing out that they read the TaNaKh as mere rules to live by.

- Forth, He was pointing out that the Pharisees followed those rules for self righteousness and eternal life, while the Sadducees followed the rules out of self righteousness and the belief that God was going to come in flesh to exonerate and free Israel from the clutches of her enemies and become the King of the world through force. Israel was prophesied to rule over the nations and they thought God would come with war and crown Israel the center of the known world.

**- Fifth, He was telling them that He was the provider of eternal life, and no Law would ever save them. He was showing them as He had saved them from Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia and Greece; He was their salvation alone to true eternal life and union with Him. They always wanted to put the glory on themselves, when the glory has always belonged to God.

What does this have to do with the price of bacon in Israel in the context of your push back to the inconsistency of scripture?

Everything! Every inconsistency is there as a flag. It's Jesus saying, pay close attention, I'm teaching you about my kingdom.

David ended up trading all of His women for one that was the wife of one of his "mighty men".

*(I'm editing this in. The Dragon was a strong man of God, and he's used the Law of Freewill to bare disobedience in Eve (all of us). He essentially married Eve in the Garden, though God was still the Groom to be. This parallels the story of David. Consider the still born, first child of Bathsheba, and the following miracle of Solomon.... Again with a reference to the unloving, spiritually dead.)

*** He (David) is the picture of Jesus unifying all children of Eve into one body.

The polyandry or polygamy is a reference to the children of Eve being married to many different gods, but a vision of the entire body of humanity only truly belonging to One.

Solomon drives this home further as He is the ultimate picture of Jesus and His temple an ultimate picture of God. Consider the 7's that become overly redundant in His temple. 7 steps to His throne. Seven servants and such. He had women of many different gods under His roof, unified by marriage to Him.

Solomon's song is a picture of God spiritually pining for all of humanity as His cherished bride. It speaks of so much Jesus verbiage, that it is dizzying.

To intensify this theme, we can see the Prophet Hosea being married to an unfaithful bride. This entire theme is about our spiritual unfaithfulness to God and His constant forgiveness of our blunder.

Consider Judah, who was about to burn his daughter-in-law Tamar for whoring around, when she produces his staff, signet ring and such, and he instantly recognizes her as the woman he thought was a prostitute at the gates and clearly made a baby with.

Consider how the ark is Jesus preserving humanity over the waters of hate and wickedness that swept the violent away.

Consider how the second born son is forever getting the inheritance, just like the second Adam and the Second covenant of Law (Love and Free Will through Jesus).

Second born sons that won.... Able, David the second King of Israel, but his Son built the temple, Isaac, Jacob (Israel)...... There are so many analogies like this in the OT that it is ridiculous!

The Patriarchy and seeming unfairness to women wasn't to decree double standards.

Paul fixes this when he binds man and wife together with each sacrificing for the other out of Love and crowning the man as King, but binding him to the obligation of Loving her unto death as Christ, which again shows every word about marriage in the bible throws light on Jesus.

Think Ruth and her kinsman redeemer Boaz.

The red cord of inheritance is a picture of Jesus, and every protective entitlement of the OT refers to Jesus.

Consider Esther. She is the Bride and Haman is a picture of the dark prince, who had authority by the King.

It's all a spiritual book that shows us that every Loving act of hope is from God and every dark act of death is from the free will Angels and men of creation exalting their free will to betray God.

How about the violence of God in the OT? It is a response to wickedness that is born of hate and destruction within men and Angels that would grow to distort God into the kind of God that would ask child sacrifice and breed violence that would eat away at the existence of mankind.

God has no religion but Love.

We were naked, in the Garden of God and given only two commands.
Have lots of fun in the Garden to make babies and don't eat of the tree of God. (Dad's tree was available to us to show that God is no tyrant, and He didn't want us to have Him as our servant King out of force.). We were given the option to serve creation amongst ourselves instead of trust good old Dad. Upon the desire of the Dragon to rule and our curiosity to rule, that was encouraged by the dragon, we elected creation over the Creator.

If you want an answer to your question about morality, you'll have to go to a Pharisee, but if you want an answer from one of His disciples, like yourself, keep pressing me. Be brutal! Throw the b.s. Flag, but don't give up.

I will take it and respect you more for it.

You have His Spirit. Yes, I know. So what if your faith is lacking! Love is more important than faith according to the apostle Paul, so you, my good friend are better for relationship than the brick and mortar that feed off of regurgitated food that has been eaten and vomited for over 2000 years.

You have Faith, Hope and Love.

According to Paul you are already bearing fruit and are bearing the most sacred fruit of All. LOVE! You are living proof of your premise that the Living God is so much bigger than the lies about a Daddy that created some children to Glorify and some children to suffer eternal torture.

That's Satan's smear campaign. Who is Satan?

*Besides the dragon of election and contest to the will of God, it's all who appose Love and the other fruits of the Spirit, it's all who oppose LOVE, human dignity, respect and all things peacefully unifying.

Who's morality is more genuine? A person who is afraid of losing eternal life and burning in an "artificial, made up" hell that was taken from allegory, despite the many verses that show the spiritually dead and hateful that reject God to His face (Mostly religious people of pride) will be no more, or a person that doesn't believe in God at all and manifests morality out of personal integrity?

Morality and moral code are in the bible, but they are there to point out our need for dad.

It's no secret that Dad's children are screwing everything up. Violence and hate are growing. It's everywhere! Isis kills in the name of God, while professed Christians Hate in the name of God.

Churches squander money, while agnostic Bill Gates provides food and treatment for impoverished children.

This is my answer to your second inquisition. Please don't write me off. Press me harder and I will respond. Tare at me if you feel I am avoiding the question.

Consider that Paul is the elected disciple of Jesus that was discipled by the glorified Jesus. Paul spoke in such manner as Jesus, in the way he buried Spiritual truth within fleshly allegories.

He was a traveling tent maker, Roman Citizen, Pharisee of Pharisees that knew the TaNaKh by heart, and he accepted no wages for his ministry but the chopping block.

Don't let up on me, if you think I'm tap dancing, lock down, but consider that I speak differently than most for a reason, and perhaps there is more to my madness than there appears. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

Last edited:

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

Matthew 5:

Our hearts are sinful.

But,

Matthew 19:

his father and mother

Nameless gets paid by the word -

[emoji846]. Never, those who expect pay are lost. Those who rest get paid. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Sonnet, I'm finally done with my book. Lol. I had to edit it several times.

Sonnet

Last question: what is it specifically about 1 Cor 15:3-4 that you doubt?

I don't have a problem with that verse - but these various other scriptures create doubt...thou shalt not commit adultery...but here David...here's some more wives...

Look at Song of Songs..you think it's a love story until you reach chapter 6, verse 8. He's already got 140 other sexual partners.

Astonishing.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
I have to be away a bit. I'll be back later. It is awesome to be pressed by your biblical challenges. It is an honor. You are a razor of God Sonnet!