Does God know the future?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Johnny said:
How is that a good post? That didn't answer his question.

The question was, "Why do you think time as you experience it wasn't created?"

The answer was...

"Because time is eternity measured. We exist in eternity It is our measurements of eternity that we call time. We did that for the sake of reference. Even black holds have a beginning so black holes are not eternal. The laws of physics are still at work in a black hole. All things that have a beginning are subject to the laws of physics. The laws of physics are even a creation. An order created that governs creation and none can step out of their rule who are created. Man can like it or lump it but man will never achieve his gaol of supplanting God."​

It's a brilliant answer!
God did not create eternity. Time is simply a subset of eternity. Therefore God did not create time.

Simple, elegant, brilliant.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Johnny

It's a brilliant answer!
God did not create eternity. Time is simply a subset of eternity. Therefore God did not create time.
Time isn't a subset of eternity. If you pick two points in time, then you have a subset. But you can't say that time itself is a subset because eternity is a human measurement of time. To say that God didn't create eternity is already assuming that God didn't create time because eternity is a measure of time.

And what happened to time not existing? Now it does as a subset of eternity?

elected4ever

Johnny said:
Time isn't a subset of eternity. If you pick two points in time, then you have a subset. But you can't say that time itself is a subset because eternity is a human measurement of time. To say that God didn't create eternity is already assuming that God didn't create time because eternity is a measure of time.

You get it backward, Johnny. You can measure time within the confines of eternity but you can't measure eternity in the confines of time. The duration of time is a measurement and there is no measurement of the duration of eternity.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
drbrumley said:
Good post.

We are in eternity now. Humanity always has been. God gave us the measurements at the beginning in Genesis when He created the sun, moon and stars.

Humanity has not always been (unless you believe in Mormonism's preexistence of the soul). Man was created after the heavenlies. We are part of God's endless duration. We entered our space-time history at birth (earlier for Adam, of course).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
Which of God's revelations are you talking about? Are you saying that the Bible contradicts SR, GR, and Quantum Mechanics? Which thoeries are contradictory? Which ones are speculative? That's too vague.

If duration, succession, and sequence are inherent in the universe, what about those outside the universe? Also, going backwards through time would also yield duration, succession, and sequence.

You have defined time as "duration, succession, and sequence", yet you have said nothing about the flow of time. Can the flow reverse? Can it speed up or slow down? Duration, succession, and sequence are simply not enough because we know that these occur at different speeds for different observers. So my question for you is this: Since you have determined that God experiences time (i.e. duration, succession, and sequence), how fast is time flowing for God and what happens when it flows at a different speed for me?

Also, no one has reconciled the concept of God existing eternally before creation and experiencing time.

Time is unidirectional. One cannot go backwards in time. The past is fixed, the present is now, the future is not yet and only potential. Time does not flow. It is not a liquid.

Unconditional divine temporality (Wolterstorff) suggests that God was experiencing endless time before creation since duration/sequence/succession is self-evident for a being who thinks, acts, and feels.

What are those outside the universe? It does not matter whether there is a universe or not, or who inhabits it, experience happens one moment after another. Our unique measure of time is irrelevant to the basic concept.

I would ascertain the basic nature of time/eternity before I became discombulated about scientific theories about relativity, etc. that do not impact the basic concept. Even if the perception or measure of time varies on atomic clocks by a millisecond under lab or theoretical conditions, it is a cosmic leap to say it must be created or that we can time travel in theory (absurd) over centuries.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Johnny said:

<<<<Triune God>>>><<<<----------Creation---Fall------Incarnation-----Resurrection-----Hitler-------2005----------Second Coming-------Millennium------New Heavens/Earth-----eternity future forever-------------------->

Ps. 90:2 Before creation, God is from everlasting to everlasting (see the timeline illustration).

Rev. 1:8 tensed expressions about the eternal God (past, present, future).

Our unique human history is a subset of God's evelasting history (His Story).

Eternity is a human measurement of time? Really? Eternity is simply endless time, a description of reality. It can also be used in another sense (spatial) where we leave this earth and go into eternity/heaven (do not confuse the two uses). Revelation shows that there is time in eternity/heaven (1/2 hour silence; 7 years, etc.). God did not create time or eternity. Eternity is descriptive of the fact that God has no beginning and no end (everlasting). He inhabits/experiences an endless duration of time, if you will. Eternity is endless time, not timelessness.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
elected4ever said:
You get it backward, Johnny. You can measure time within the confines of eternity but you can't measure eternity in the confines of time. The duration of time is a measurement and there is no measurement of the duration of eternity.

Infinite past to infinite future (I am not sure why the math geeks here think creation could not happen at some point in an endless duration of time. Since time is unidirectional, the future is not here, but it is becoming. At some point, creation was yet future and potential. It is now fixed and here).

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
godrulz said:
Infinite past to infinite future (I am not sure why the math geeks here think creation could not happen at some point in an endless duration of time. Since time is unidirectional, the future is not here, but it is becoming. At some point, creation was yet future and potential. It is now fixed and here).

:crackup: I love it when you use all the words but without any of the understanding...

I take it I'm a maths geek now....

Exactly how many seconds or hours or millenia or billions of years were there in 'infinity past' to get us to the present. And how is this number equal to infinity. If an infinite number of hours had to pass to get to the present, surely we would still be living in the past....

oh hang on a sec......

.....you are!

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
We measure time, all the time. We give you technology that uses these advances, we improve your lives and you deny the existence of that which helps you. Well, its a great analogy so I'm going to use it again.

Its like saying 'I don't believe in the combustion engine', as I drive past in a car!

Johnny

Time is unidirectional. One cannot go backwards in time. The past is fixed, the present is now, the future is not yet and only potential. Time does not flow. It is not a liquid.
Look, I can play that game too. Time is bidirectional. One can go backwards in time. The past isn't fixed, the present is an illusion, and the future is already there. Time flows. See? I just made a bunch of statements as if they were proof of something.

Unconditional divine temporality (Wolterstorff) suggests that God was experiencing endless time before creation since duration/sequence/succession is self-evident for a being who thinks, acts, and feels.
You can't say "endless time before creation". If it was infinite, then creation wouldn't be possible. You still haven't addressed that issue. Answer eccl's question. How long was it before God created us?

(I am not sure why the math geeks here think creation could not happen at some point in an endless duration of time. Since time is unidirectional, the future is not here, but it is becoming.
Here it is again:

How much "time" did God experience before creation?
A) Infinite (eternity)
B) Finite

By definition, it can't be A, otherwise God would still be in that period of "infiniteness" before creation. Infinite doesn't end, you know. If you choose B, then you have denied that God has always existed.

If you anwer anything I want an answer for this:

Which time frame is God in? Yours? Mine? The space shuttles? The particle travelling at near C? All of these are experiencing the passage of time at a different rate. Either explain to me which time frame God is in, or just go ahead and tell me that you don't believe in special relativity and general relativity. If you choose the latter option, tell me why.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
eccl3_6 said:
:crackup: I love it when you use all the words but without any of the understanding...

I take it I'm a maths geek now....

Exactly how many seconds or hours or millenia or billions of years were there in 'infinity past' to get us to the present. And how is this number equal to infinity. If an infinite number of hours had to pass to get to the present, surely we would still be living in the past....

oh hang on a sec......

.....you are!

Could we start with instants and intervals? Along this infinite duration, we recognize this very moment or a span of sequence such as a century. If we extrapolate this into the past or future, it seems infinity becomes somewhat reasonable. I do not know the mathematical formulas, but one can miss the simple trees for the speculative forest. I know God has always existed in an endless duration of time. I know the present is not the past or future. I do not know theoretical math or physics. I know I am here. I know God has always been and always will be.

Is this too simplisitic?

<GOD----------------------------------Creation/man--------------------------------------------------GOD/Man->

This is more coherent as endless duration/sequence/succession/time than timelessness (whatever that concept means...I can't explain it coherently).

Ps. 90:2

Rev. 1:8

How do you interpret these verses in light of your views?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
Look, I can play that game too. Time is bidirectional. One can go backwards in time. The past isn't fixed, the present is an illusion, and the future is already there. Time flows. See? I just made a bunch of statements as if they were proof of something.

You can't say "endless time before creation". If it was infinite, then creation wouldn't be possible. You still haven't addressed that issue. Answer eccl's question. How long was it before God created us?

Here it is again:

A) Infinite (eternity)
B) Finite

By definition, it can't be A, otherwise God would still be in that period of "infiniteness" before creation. Infinite doesn't end, you know. If you choose B, then you have denied that God has always existed.

If you anwer anything I want an answer for this:

Which time frame is God in? Yours? Mine? The space shuttles? The particle travelling at near C? All of these are experiencing the passage of time at a different rate. Either explain to me which time frame God is in, or just go ahead and tell me that you don't believe in special relativity and general relativity. If you choose the latter option, tell me why.

My statements match common sense reality. They are self-evident. Your opposite statements are not coherent objectively.

It was an infinite amount of time before God created. At some point in His existence, He created. He existed BEFORE creation. He still exists AFTER creation. I would suggest that He could not create nor incarnate if He was timeless (whatever that means).

I do not understand relativity. If there are perception issues, it does not affect the essential nature of time in the grand scheme for God or us.

Perhaps an expert could refute your misconceptions about infinity. I cannot put my finger on the flaw to your logic, but my spider sense is tingling that you are missing something. God is from everlasting to everlasting, yet He created. KISS (keep it simple, scholar).

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Johnny said:
Here it is again:

A) Infinite (eternity)
B) Finite

If you answer anything I want an answer for this:

Which time frame is God in? Yours? Mine? The space shuttles? The particle traveling at near C? All of these are experiencing the passage of time at a different rate. Either explain to me which time frame God is in, or just go ahead and tell me that you don't believe in special relativity and general relativity. If you choose the latter option, tell me why.
How is this helping you at all? This question is thousands of years old. It's not as if you're the first to think of it. The goofy thing is that you're asking it of other believers! This is not a question that is normally asked from one believer to another but rather it is a question raised by the skeptic against the theist. Not just Open Theists mind you but all theists. If there isn't any Open Theists able to adequately answer this question it doesn't help you any at all because the fact of the matter is that you can't answer it either!
(In case you're wondering, simply saying that God exists outside of time does not solve your problem unless you are suggesting that God exists outside of duration which makes no sense and actually defeats our shared position (that God has always existed (i.e. endured)).

I do not know the answer to your logic puzzle about how there doesn't seem to have been enough time for an eternity to have passed but I suspect that the resolution to the problem is related to a resolution to Zeno's paradox which I personally came up with while I was a Junior in High School. :Cletegetsthebighead:

Zeno's paradox (one of them at least) is a logical proof that motion is impossible. It says that motion can't happen because in order for one to move from point A to point B you must first traverse half that distance, and before you could traverse half the distance you would first have to traverse a 4th of the distance, and before that an 8th, and so on. There is an infinite number of points one must pass in a finite period of time which you can't do. This is one of four paradoxes attributed to Zeno. It is called The Dichotomy. Here it is stated more formally...

The Dichotomy: There is no motion, because that which is moved must arrive at the middle before it arrives at the end, and so on ad infinitum.​
Zeno and the Paradox of Motion

The paradox, as you will discover if you read the article that I linked to, applies not only to motion but also to time. In order to exist for any period of time one must first exists half that time and so on ad infinitum.

The solution is simple really. The paradox presumes that space can be divided into an infinite number of points. While this is certainly true when dealing with theoretical geometry it doesn't necessarily follow that what can be done theoretically can also be done in the real world. In fact, Zeno's paradox seems to prove that it does not. If space is divided into little bite sized chunks the problem is resolved. In other words if there is a shortest distance that can be traversed then the paradox is vanquished.
This idea has interesting implications in many fields of science (particularly chemistry) because if the same reasoning is applied to time, one is left with 'quantum motion' and 'quantum time' as I called it at the time, which yields a cosmic minimum speed limit above absolute motionlessness. Temperature is affected in a similar way in that heat is simply matter in motion. Absolute Zero is the point at which no motion at all is occurring within a substance. The more motion the more heat is generated thus if you have a minimum speed you therefore have a minimum temperature above absolute zero.

Now keep in mind that I practically worshiped Einstein when I came up with these ideas and so saw no conflict inherent in the idea of 'quantum time', which I now longer believe to be a possibility or even necessary in that time does not exist. The loss of this aspect does however render these ideas somewhat useless in solving the infinite past problem but I still strongly suspect that the resolution is probably related in some conceptual way to this, although I could be completely wrong on that.

I'm sure many of you won't even understand how the two problems are related but any more explanation than this would be too much off the subject and would glaze everyone's eyes over more than has already been done. The point is that according to Zeno, there is an infinite number of points to pass in a finite period of time and so motion is impossible; essentially the same problem which Johnny keeps presenting us with the eternity past problem. There are two important points to make note of...

1. That an eternity (infinite time) is not necessary in order to create this problem.
In at least a rhetorical (i.e. theoretical/metaphysical) sense time can be divided into an infinite number of smaller units. hours, minutes, seconds, deciseconds, centiseconds, milliseconds, microseconds, nanoseconds, etc ad infinitum. Thus there are an infinite number of points on the time line one must experience before experiencing any period of time thus no period of time can be experienced. So whether you are talking about an eternity or one minute, you're left with the exact same logical problem.

2. That we do in fact move from point A to point B.
Your eyes really are moving from left to right and back again as you read this. You really are capable of getting up, moving toward and making it to the bathroom. One hour after it turns three o'clock, it will turn four o'clock. Yesterday is not today and today is not tomorrow. We really do make it from point A to point B.

So logic problem or no, solution to the paradox or no, the undeniable fact is that we do move and that we have by whatever means made it to the present. Our inability to explain exactly how is irrelevant. It is a very interesting puzzle but it does no injury to Open Theism that is doesn't also do to Closed Theism and thus your entire point is moot.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Johnny

How is this helping you at all?
It helps me clarify your position.

The goofy thing is that you're asking it of other believers! This is not a question that is normally asked from one believer to another but rather it is a question raised by the skeptic against the theist. Not just Open Theists mind you but all theists. If there isn't any Open Theists able to adequately answer this question it doesn't help you any at all because the fact of the matter is that you can't answer it either!
If God exists outside of time as we experience it then the paradox is solved. It is my belief that the only way in which to refer to a timeless God is to call Him eternal. That is, from within the perspective of time, He has always existed and will always exist. And while "eternal" is a completely accurate description, it is less a statement about His true nature independent of us and more about the only way in which we can perceive His nature.

One point that I'd like to make to both of you (Clete and godrulz) is that you both are willing to accept the two apparently contradicting ideas despite the fact that you do not understand how they can be reconciled. This very same reasoning is employed strongly by closed theists. From what we understand from the Bible, God knows the future. But we also know from experience that we have free-will. Although many cannot reconcile the two ideas, we attribute it to an incomplete understanding. You brought up zeno's paradox, which I will discuss more in depth in a moment. Although a young student may not be able to immediately solve zeno's paradox, they know based on experience that there must be a solution. The student simply has an incomplete understanding (cite). Closed theists often operate the same way.

I almost brought up Zeno's paradox myself earlier. There must be discrete units of time, just as there are discrete units of length. Not really inside the scope of discussion, and I didn't find it relevant enough to expand upon, though it's very interesting.

So logic problem or no, solution to the paradox or no, the undeniable fact is that we do move and that we have by whatever means made it to the present. Our inability to explain exactly how is irrelevant. It is a very interesting puzzle but it does no injury to Open Theism that is doesn't also do to Closed Theism and thus your entire point is moot.
So why the need for open theism? Our inability to explain how free will and the foreknowledge of God interact is irrelevant. The undeniable fact is that God knows the future (prophecies, predictions by Jesus, etc.) and that we experience free will. Just because the two ideas cannot be immediately reconciled does not mean we need to invent a new way of looking at God. Is that an acceptable line of reasoning in defense of closed theism?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Johnny said:
So why the need for open theism? Our inability to explain how free will and the foreknowledge of God interact is irrelevant. The undeniable fact is that God knows the future (prophecies, predictions by Jesus, etc.) and that we experience free will. Just because the two ideas cannot be immediately reconciled does not mean we need to invent a new way of looking at God. Is that an acceptable line of reasoning in defense of closed theism?
Because Open Theism is the only logically coherent belief system. Free will is not the only thing that disapears in the face of a closed future. With it go love, justice, mercy, morality and nearly every concept that makes Christianity Christian. The contradiction between free will and a closed future is far more than simply a puzzle of logic, it is an outright contradiction. There is far more than simply an aparant conflict, they are in fact, mutually exclusive, there is a big whopping difference. The present and eternity past are not mutually exclusive ideas. Granted, our minds are not able to grasp the concept of eternity past but that does not mean that there is a contradiction, it is not irrational or incoherent. To say that it is would be to deny the Christian faith, not simply Open Theism.

Based on what you've said, we basically have to choose which incoherent nonsense we want to pick and go with it. Well, God is not incoherent and any theology that is shown to be incoherent will at the same time be falsified. Simply pointing out a point that has yet to be explained is hardly proving incoherence.

If God exists outside of time as we experience it then the paradox is solved. It is my belief that the only way in which to refer to a timeless God is to call Him eternal. That is, from within the perspective of time, He has always existed and will always exist. And while "eternal" is a completely accurate description, it is less a statement about His true nature independent of us and more about the only way in which we can perceive His nature.
Did you intentionally ignore me when I told you that saying this doesn't get you off the hook? Did it sound like I didn't know what I was talking about or what?
It makes no difference for you to say that God exists outside of time because referencing time that way takes it out of the equation altogether. You still are left with an enternally long duration of God's existence to wait through before you even get to the creation of time never mind to the present day. You solve exactly nothing by taking God outside of time. All you really do is add to the confusion by now having to explain what it means to be outside of time in which case Occam's Razor just cut your head off.

Resting in Him,
Clete

justchristian

Granted, our minds are not able to grasp the concept of eternity past but that does not mean that there is a contradiction, it is not irrational or incoherent.
I'm sorry but I have to call BS on that. You cant say one moment something is a "outright contradiction" and then explain away something else as beyond the grasp of our minds.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
justchristian said:
I'm sorry but I have to call BS on that. You cant say one moment something is a "outright contradiction" and then explain away something else as beyond the grasp of our minds.

There is a difference between knowing something is true and knowing it exhaustively. We understand much of the triune nature of God from His revelation, but we do not know every aspect of who He is exhaustively. We are making truth statements about the nature of time, eternity, and free will, but we have not exhaustively grasped the entire subject. Minimally, open theism is less problematic than closed theism. Do not assume that your view is without issues and do not minimize the simplicity and clarity of alternate views.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
justchristian said:
How so? Eternity past is a fact, it did happen. The present is also a fact, we are here. There cannot be a contradiction or else we would not exist. There is no contradiction, logical or otherwise. The absence of a logical contradiction, however, doesn't mean that we can explain it or even understand it. It's just like some the weird things that sub atomic particles do that we cannot explain. Our inability to explain or understand how something happens does not necessarily imply a contradiction only a lack of understanding or a lack of information.

The concepts of free will and a closed future are quite different though. The two are in fact mutuallly exclusive based on the very definitions of the terms. The only way to get away from the direct contradiction is to redefine the terms in which case you are no longer talking about the same things.

Resting in Him,
Clete