Does God know the future?

justchristian

If by something never being truly objective in an apolgetic sense, and science is religion as you put it, doesnt't that imply that absolute clarity can never be perceived and doesn't that make you all agnostic?
dictionary.com said:

ag·nos·tic
http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html
  1. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
  2. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
  3. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.
  1. Nope, in fact I know there is a God. I know that as much as I know anything.
  2. Again, I know there is a God, I am only skeptical in so much as I am skeptical that I know anything at all.
  3. Now there I could be a agnostic. Christianity as a religion I am doubtful on sometimes. Sometimes I really think we missed the boat. But that isnt the core of my faith. So in the sense of being doubtful or noncommittal about something could apply to anyone. While I may sometimes doubt the historical Christ, I am commited to Christ. I am in relationship with Christ and I have no doubt he loves me, died for me, and has reconciled me with God.
"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?

[]"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

(matthew 16:15-16)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
eccl3_6 said:
Then why are parts of scientific study perceived as a threat if it can never be truly objective.....
Who said anything about science being a threat?

If by something never being truly objective in an apolgetic sense, and science is religion as you put it, doesnt't that imply that absolute clarity can never be perceived and doesn't that make you all agnostic?
No. I am anything but an agnostic. My signature line is sarcasm but it is no joke.
I know that God exists because of the rational impossibility of the contrary and I build my world view on that basis including both science and philosophy; physics and metaphysics. You have no such ability to do so without question begging because you presume that there is no God unless one can be shown to you via your faith in the scientific method (i.e. reason) which you cannot account for in the first place if God doesn't exist.

Resting in Him,
Clete

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
Clete said:
Who said anything about science being a threat?

No. I am anything but an agnostic. My signature line is sarcasm but it is no joke.
I know that God exists because of the rational impossibility of the contrary and I build my world view on that basis including both science and philosophy; physics and metaphysics. You have no such ability to do so without question begging because you presume that there is no God unless one can be shown to you via your faith in the scientific method (i.e. reason) which you cannot account for in the first place if God doesn't exist.

Resting in Him,
Clete

But I believe in God.

Its blatantly clear that you're not an agnostic and thats fine. No worries mate!
But science/ physics is catergorically not based on that there is a God....it doesn't work like that. You can't go redefining stuff just because it doesnt fit. Thats the point your science that you preach, isn't science.

If you try and shut things away or redefine them you become exactly what you don't want to be a modern day 'bonfire of vanities'.

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
justchristian said:
  1. Nope, in fact I know there is a God. I know that as much as I know anything.
  2. Again, I know there is a God, I am only skeptical in so much as I am skeptical that I know anything at all.
  3. Now there I could be a agnostic. Christianity as a religion I am doubtful on sometimes. Sometimes I really think we missed the boat. But that isnt the core of my faith. So in the sense of being doubtful or noncommittal about something could apply to anyone. While I may sometimes doubt the historical Christ, I am commited to Christ. I am in relationship with Christ and I have no doubt he loves me, died for me, and has reconciled me with God.
"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?

[]"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

(matthew 16:15-16)

Exactly.....the point I was making was not that Clete was an actual agnostic, nor you nor anybody else.......its abundantly clear Cletes not! But that his claim that 'absolute objectivity is impossible' is questionable, if for no other reason than that it suggests a contradiction to his faith.

justchristian

But science/ physics is catergorically not based on that there is a God....it doesn't work like that. You can't go redefining stuff just because it doesnt fit. Thats the point your science that you preach, isn't science.
Science is not based on the existence of God, but it is dependent on God. Assuming God created the universe as a expression of himself, everything in the universe is a reflection of the nature of God (either corrupted or not). Everything about God is not present in our universe, that which cannot be revealed by general revelation (philosophy, science - from our universe) is presented directly from God through specific revelation (beyond our universe - for Christians that would the bible and Christ). Specific revelation may clearify general revelation but will never negate it, because if something exists in this universe it is an expression of God, whether perfect, alagoric, or corrupt (and the shades between).You can determine how God interacts with the universe based on the universe, but you cannot determine the ultimate reality of God based on the universe. If specific revelation contradicts general revelation, they must both be true - each subjective to the source - specific as the ultimate reality, general as an imperfect or allagorical expression of the ultimate reality. The specific would then pertain to God outside the universe and the general would pertain to God's interaction with the universe.

Last edited:

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
justchristian said:
Science is not based on the existence of God, but it is dependent on God

If by dependant you mean God made the universe and science studies all we can observe in the universe then I completely agree with you 100%.

I've not read the rest of your post yet but I will now. I think before we had crossed wires before and as soon as I read the first line of your last post I agreed with what was being said. All I was saying was that when a scientist goes to work his religion is not necessary to his work. Science is not based on the existence of God. There are plenty of atheists out there who widely contribute to science.

Last edited:

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
:thumb:
justchristian said:
Science is not based on the existence of God, but it is dependent on God. Assuming God created the universe as a expression of himself, everything in the universe is a reflection of the nature of God (either corrupted or not). Everything about God is not present in our universe, that which cannot be revealed by general revelation (philosophy, science - from our universe) is presented directly from God through specific revelation (beyond our universe - for Christians that would the bible and Christ). Specific revelation may clearify general revelation but will never negate it, because if something exists in this universe it is an expression of God, whether perfect, alagoric, or corrupt (and the shades between).You can determine how God interacts with the universe based on the universe, but you cannot determine the ultimate reality of God based on the universe. If specific revelation contradicts general revelation, they must both be true - each subjective to the source - specific as the ultimate reality, general as an imperfect or allagorical expression of the ultimate reality. The specific would then pertain to God outside the universe and the gernal would pertain to God's interaction with the universe.

:thumb:

drbrumley

Z Man said:
Where we disagree is that I believe He does not allow everyone to choose.

Z Man, thats about as lame as it can get. Then please explain if you will how God thru Paul says He wills all men to be saved? Obviously not allowing someone to be saved is a contradiction from willing all men to be saved.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
eccl3_6 said:
But I believe in God.
I'm talking about the Christian God. I'm talking about Jesus Christ.
Besides, why do you classify yourself as an agnostic if you aren't one?

Its blatantly clear that you're not an agnostic and that's fine. No worries mate!
But science/ physics is categorically not based on that there is a God....it doesn't work like that.
That's the only way it works, but I understand why you say this. I'll try to explain.

You can't go redefining stuff just because it doesn't fit. That's the point your science that you preach, isn't science.

If you try and shut things away or redefine them you become exactly what you don't want to be a modern day 'bonfire of vanities'.
Well leaving aside the fact that you are reading more into what I am getting at than what I have actually said (i.e. I'm not attempting to redefine anything), the fact of the matter is the only reason science works is because God exists. It would otherwise be irrational.

There are plenty of atheists out there who widely contribute to science.
All of whom unwittingly borrow from the Christian world view in order to do their work.

It's a very complicated aspect of Christian philosophy and while I've attempted to explain it before, I haven't done a very good job at it, so if you can resist the temptation to press me for more detail than I am qualified to give, I think I can illustrate the point by giving a simple example of the sort of thing I'm talking about. Let me do so by asking you a question...

Do you hold to the position that all truth claims must be substantiated by logic and reason or some form of it (say the scientific method for example)?

If you say yes then by what means do you substantiate the truth claim that all truth claims must be substantiated by logic and reason?

You cannot say that it too is substantiated via logic because that would be question begging and therefore irrational and if you use anything other than logic to substantiate the truth claim then you falsify the truth claim. Thus logic and reason are insufficient to substantiate all truth claims.

Now I am by no means an expert Christian philosopher, especially when it comes to Presuppositionalism (that's the field that deals with this specific issue in case you didn't already know that), but I can assure you that all roads lead either to irrationality or to Jesus Christ when dealing with these issues. The bottom line is that Christianity must be the truth because of the rational impossibility of the contrary.

If you're at all interested in learning more let me know and I'll post some links to a few resources on the issue.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
Hi Clete,

Clete said:
Besides, why do you classify yourself as an agnostic if you aren't one?

I am.
Well leaving aside the fact that you are reading more into what I am getting at than what I have actually said (i.e. I'm not attempting to redefine anything), the fact of the matter is the only reason science works is because God exists. It would otherwise be irrational.

I dispute this, science can be irrational, very irrational. Chaos theory is very aptly named but Quantum takes the cake. A brief example. Consider two particles that go around in in pairs. One always rotates 'clockwise', the other 'anticlockwise' (just a way of denominating them) split them up and change or assign one's direction and the other instantly changes direction to accomodate. No signals in between, no message passed but some how like freeky identical twins the particles just know what the other is doing. Sound strange? It gets weirder! People generally accept light speed in a vacuum (c) to be the theoritcal optimum.....can't go faster than light. The evidence behind that is staggering. But split these particles up and they know what the other's doing faster than light speed could pass the message. Its literally instantaneous as though they're the same thing....but they're not. They can be in seperate rooms and they just know each other's state. It defies logic...but it works. We can see it happening in labs...we can repeat the experiment over and over again with the same results. This was called the EPR paradox (EPR: Einsten, Podolsky and Rosen)

And as logic defying experiments go its not alone. Electrons orbitting atoms disappear. And then reappear somewhere else. Things existing in 'grey' states. Logic is not a word you'd use to describe physics....many things we are found through a process of trial and error until a direction to invvestigate is offered. There may be reason somewhere but logic is often well hidden.
All of whom unwittingly borrow from the Christian world view in order to do their work.
(regarding atheist scientists)

Oh come on now Christianity didn't found science...the polytheistic Greeks were before us, the Egyptians before them. The Chinese were romping away. Even the muslims got stuck in properly before the west. We (the west)only started to pull back properly during the renaissance and admitedly we did one hell of a job....but we were still standing on the shoulders' of giants. Christian mindsets are not compulsory to science I promise you! Nor is religion necessary. Einstein was born and raised a Jew....but became known as a humanist and is on record as greatly admiring Buddhism as his 'cosmic religion for the future'

It would otherwise be irrational
Yeah we have irrational numbers too! :think:

It's a very complicated aspect of Christian philosophy and while I've attempted to explain it before, I haven't done a very good job at it, so if you can resist the temptation to press me for more detail than I am qualified to give, I think I can illustrate the point by giving a simple example of the sort of thing I'm talking about. Let me do so by asking you a question...

...The bottom line is that Christianity must be the truth because of the rational impossibility of the contrary.
Not sure I got you on this :dizzy: ,

I would appreciate the extra posts if thats possible please. One thing to mention though that if your argument were to be right I don't see why it is necessary for it to endorse Christianity and not another belief system. Why any specific belief?

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
nancy said:
I can understand where open theism is coming from. You are trying to understand God in a more intimate relationship with humans and I commend you for that, but you don't have to destroy predestination to do it.

What in fact you are doing is molding God down into human for to make Him more understandale to us, but in the process you are creating a pantheistic new age type view of god.
No no a thousand times no. We are accepting the Biblical description of God as true rather than accepting the pagan veiw!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
deardelmar said:
No no a thousand times no. We are accepting the Biblical description of God as true rather than accepting the pagan veiw!
I think nancy is outa here. :wave2:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
eccl3_6 said:
Hi Clete,
I am.
How can you be a theist and an agnostic?

I dispute this, science can be irrational, very irrational. Chaos theory is very aptly named but Quantum takes the cake. A brief example. Consider two particles that go around in in pairs. One always rotates 'clockwise', the other 'anticlockwise' (just a way of denominating them) split them up and change or assign one's direction and the other instantly changes direction to accomodate. No signals in between, no message passed but some how like freeky identical twins the particles just know what the other is doing. Sound strange? It gets weirder! People generally accept light speed in a vacuum (c) to be the theoritcal optimum.....can't go faster than light. The evidence behind that is staggering. But split these particles up and they know what the other's doing faster than light speed could pass the message. Its literally instantaneous as though they're the same thing....but they're not. They can be in seperate rooms and they just know each other's state. It defies logic...but it works. We can see it happening in labs...we can repeat the experiment over and over again with the same results. This was called the EPR paradox (EPR: Einsten, Podolsky and Rosen)

And as logic defying experiments go its not alone. Electrons orbitting atoms disappear. And then reappear somewhere else. Things existing in 'grey' states. Logic is not a word you'd use to describe physics....many things we are found through a process of trial and error until a direction to invvestigate is offered. There may be reason somewhere but logic is often well hidden.
This is not the sort of irrationality I was referring to. That which is unexplained is not necessarily irrational.

(regarding atheist scientists)

Oh come on now Christianity didn't found science...the polytheistic Greeks were before us, the Egyptians before them. The Chinese were romping away. Even the Muslims got stuck in properly before the west. We (the west)only started to pull back properly during the renaissance and admittedly we did one hell of a job....but we were still standing on the shoulders' of giants.
Giants indeed! All of whom also unwittingly borrowed from what would become the Christian worldview.

Christian mindsets are not compulsory to science I promise you!
The formation of this sentence would not have been possible if the Christian world view is false.

Nor is religion necessary.
That depends on what you mean by religion but the existence of an eternal, personal, intelligent, triune God must be presupposed in order to have a logically coherent world view. All others lead to irrational question begging, circular reasoning or some other such fallacy of logic and are therefore irrational.

Einstein was born and raised a Jew....but became known as a humanist and is on record as greatly admiring Buddhism as his 'cosmic religion for the future'
Einstein is in Hell today because he rejected the blood of God which was shed for his sake. And all the while he was borrowing from the Christian world view every time he uttered a coherent sentence.

Yeah we have irrational numbers too! :think:
Not only that, but your entire world view makes it impossible for you to know anything at all for certain. You think you know because you're not stupid and you know how to string several thoughts together in a coherent fashion that leads to conclusions which are useful to you in your daily life, but in reality you are fundamentally incapable of accounting for the existence of the logic that allows you to do this. If pressed you couldn't even prove absolutely that you are even reading this post right now. For all you know you're a figment of someone else's imagination or are living in the Matrix or something (that's a great movie by the way, if you haven't seen it).

Not sure I got you on this :dizzy:
Yeah I know, that's the same reaction I had when I was first introduced to this idea. If you're into philosophy at all, you should read a book called "The Big Questions" by Nils ch. Rauhut. Or if you don't want a whole book just do a Google search on epistemology and look at the first few links. You'd be amazed at how difficult it is to prove that you're even awake. In fact, unless you begin with the correct set of presuppositions, it's quite impossible really.

I would appreciate the extra posts if that's possible please. One thing to mention though that if your argument were to be right I don't see why it is necessary for it to endorse Christianity and not another belief system. Why any specific belief?
Well getting down to a specific belief system is very complicated and the discussion would take me outside of my level of expertise. I've only read enough on the subject to be familiar with it's premise and a hand full of very rudimentary arguments which are used. One of which I offered in my last post which you seem to have found less than impactful.
The field of theological study is known as Presuppositionalism and it is quite a specialized field indeed. It is a particular form of Christian apologetics which was developed by a man named Dr. Cornelius Van Til. A brilliant man who, if he had been willing to step for even a moment away from his precious Calvinism, would have truly revolutionized the Christian apologetic world. His impact would likely have been on the order of his beloved Calvin or perhaps even Luther. As it is, he's made no small contribution and will certainly go down in Calvinist circles as being the greatest apologist of the 20th century.

There is lots and lots of stuff available about this subject but I would start with the following article.

CORNELIUS VAN TIL AND THE REFORMATION OF CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS

Once you've read it, let me know. I'll be very interested in your reaction to it. And if you want more links, I'll of course be happy to post them.

Resting in Him,
Clete

insolafide

eccl3_6 said:
I've calmed down now....
When Einstein flipped from thinking of things in Newtonian terms to something else it wasn't an issue that he was taking something and building on it. It was progress! Same with the maths...if another model comes along that works + lends itself to simplicity then EInstein would have leapt at himself. So if the math changes who cares? If it worked I'd count pebbles! But the point is that it does work and our world today is already better for it, in practical terms.

i have no idea what you are saying here. I am not denying that Einstein thought about things in an interesting way. But I am suggesting that His interpretation of the facts was most likely wrong.

With any theory, there is the mathematical model, and there is the interpretation of that model.

In his theory of special relativity Einstein basically just made the presupposition that there was no absolute time or space (because He was at the time using a faulty verificationist epistemology). This has turned out to be false since GTR allows for a cosmic time and space, and our detection of the Cosmic Background Radiation allows for us to support this with real evidence.

As I was saying, Lorentzian relativity not only uses the exact same mathematics as Einstein's interpretation, but Lorentz preserved absolute space and time.

the point is, STR cannot be used against the idea of God experiancing a cosmic time in the Universe. although, admittedly, I am not quite sure the whole discussion here.

peace.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
insolafide said:
the point is, STR cannot be used against the idea of God experiancing a cosmic time in the Universe. although, admittedly, I am not quite sure the whole discussion here.

peace.
In a nut shell one side is saying that God knows the future because He exists outside of time. Myself and others are saying that God cannot be outside of that which doesn't exist. Time is not something that you can be inside of or outside of. Einstein's Relativity has been presented as proof that time does in fact exist, which I have repeatedly pointed out is not so.

Now you're up to speed. :thumb:

Resting in Him,
Clete

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
Clete said:
How can you be a theist and an agnostic?
I'm not trying to undertand the mind of God, but the mind of you.
Giants indeed! All of whom also unwittingly borrowed from what would become the Christian worldview.
Sounds like you're arguing against cause and effect now which is at the heart of your argument!
How can the Chinese scientists borrow from Christianity a 1000 years before Christ put on his sandals?

Einstein is in Hell today because he rejected the blood of God which was shed for his sake. And all the while he was borrowing from the Christian world view every time he uttered a coherent sentence.
Einstein and Ghandi. It strikes me that if this is the case hell holds a lot of loving,peaceful intersting people that I'd like to meet...are the Buddhists there too. I have a soft spot for Sikhs too......they are brilliant, the friendliest people I know. They bend over backwards to help anyone. Really, really nice people. If scientists see things from a 'Christian' world view it doesn't make it christian but in your eyes.

I dont agree with your concept of hell neither.

:idea: = :cloud9: not :devil:

Not only that, but your entire world view makes it impossible for you to know anything at all for certain. You think you know because you're not stupid and you know how to string several thoughts together in a coherent fashion that leads to conclusions which are useful to you in your daily life, but in reality you are fundamentally incapable of accounting for the existence of the logic that allows you to do this.

I guess you're referring to God there. I believe in God I just can't claim to have an understanding of a perfect awareness if I have an imperfect mind. I believe I can trace a suggestion of one of his thoughts though by studying his creation

CORNELIUS VAN TIL AND THE REFORMATION OF CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS

Once you've read it, let me know. I'll be very interested in your reaction to it. And if you want more links, I'll of course be happy to post them.

I will read it but it will be a while yet....cheers! :thumb:

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
Clete said:
In a nut shell one side is saying that God knows the future because He exists outside of time. Myself and others are saying that God cannot be outside of that which doesn't exist. Time is not something that you can be inside of or outside of. Einstein's Relativity has been presented as proof that time does in fact exist, which I have repeatedly pointed out is not so.

Now you're up to speed. :thumb:

Resting in Him,
Clete

I was actually arguing you can't use a metaphysical argument against physical one. Which you were when you were saying time doesnt exist outside thought i.e its not a thing. I said time was a thing, with physical characteristics but that that didn't affect a concept of metaphysical time....i.e. a God being around before creation, whether for a brief moment or a big bag of eternities.

Physical propeties of time do exist...but physical properties of metaphysical 'time' do not. ITS META PHYSICAL (meta meaning before/after or out of) (physics meaning 'of nature')

Last edited:

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
insolafide said:
i have no idea what you are saying here. I am not denying that Einstein thought about things in an interesting way. But I am suggesting that His interpretation of the facts was most likely wrong.

With any theory, there is the mathematical model, and there is the interpretation of that model.

In his theory of special relativity Einstein basically just made the presupposition that there was no absolute time or space (because He was at the time using a faulty verificationist epistemology). This has turned out to be false since GTR allows for a cosmic time and space, and our detection of the Cosmic Background Radiation allows for us to support this with real evidence.

As I was saying, Lorentzian relativity not only uses the exact same mathematics as Einstein's interpretation, but Lorentz preserved absolute space and time.

peace.

Point was it makes no difference what the maths is, whether ultimately right or wrong or needs to be tweaked a bit.....it doesn't change the observations made. Time whether by Lorentz or Einsten displays certain characteristics! As such Relativity etc. even if you change its name and call it something else.....all the things it deals with...all the observations it makes.....are still there! Relativit and Quantum will eventaully both peel away to make room for a unified theory or G.U.T. Just like electricity and magnetism made way for electomagnetism. We still believed in electricity and magnetism....when elcetro magnetism appeared on the scene we just had a better understanding of the bigger picture.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Eccl.:

Other religions have behavioral truth, as you pointed out. They share some common principles (love, etc.) with Judeo-Christianity.

Only Christianity has redemptive truth that leads to a right relationship with God and eternal life. This comes through the person and work of Jesus Christ (Jn. 1:12; 3:16, 36; 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 1:16,17; I Cor. 1:18; I Jn. 5:11-13).

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
godrulz said:
Eccl.:

Other religions have behavioral truth, as you pointed out. They share some common principles (love, etc.) with Judeo-Christianity.

Only Christianity has redemptive truth that leads to a right relationship with God and eternal life. This comes through the person and work of Jesus Christ (Jn. 1:12; 3:16, 36; 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 1:16,17; I Cor. 1:18; I Jn. 5:11-13).

Could you define/explain redemptive truth for me please?