Banned
you said
Is God free to do evil?

i said
He is Master of the universe.

you said
Can He do evil?

i said
Perhaps he can do that. How difficult is it?

allsmiles

Sozo said:
Is God free to do evil?

Can He do evil?

i would say that your god has done evil, according to the "good" book of course, and i would also say that within the confines of open theism he is definitely capable of doing evil. in fact, if half of what open theism entails is true, then i would assert that it's a distinct possibility that he has completely turned his back on his creation and now hates us and wishes he never wanted us.

thank the gods none of that poppy **** is true though:)

what a relief.

Last edited:

allsmiles

and what of the possibility that he has changed? that perhaps he's gotten bitter and frustrated over time? what if he no longer loves you and holds us all in contempt? 2000 years is a long time to be waiting, and wouldn't you say that this theory would explain all of the suffering that is in the world? it requires no theology and no guide book, just a little adventerous speculation:)

Mr. 5020

I don't think He can do evil. I know He cannot lie, so apparently there are restrictions on what God can do.

Sozo

Mr. 5020 said:
I don't think He can do evil. I know He cannot lie, so apparently there are restrictions on what God can do.

I agree with you.

However, this appears to be a teaching of Open Theism that God can do evil.

I'd like to know why they think that

Mr. 5020

Sozo said:
I agree with you.

However, this appears to be a teaching of Open Theism that God can do evil.

I'd like to know why they think that
:thumb:

Didn't know there was a target audience. Is Squeaky 2.0 helping? :D

God_Is_Truth

Sozo said:
Any biblical evidence, guys?

God can do whatever he pleases

Jeremiah 32:17
' Ah Lord GOD! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and by Your outstretched arm! Nothing is too difficult for You,

2 Chronicles 20:6
and he said, "O LORD, the God of our fathers, are You not God in the heavens? And are You not ruler over all the kingdoms of the nations? Power and might are in Your hand so that no one can stand against You.

God only does those things which are good, evidenced by his ways and deeds

Deuteronomy 32:4
" The Rock! His work is perfect, For all His ways are just; A God of faithfulness and without injustice,Righteous and upright is He.

Psalm 65:5
By awesome deeds You answer us in righteousness, O God of our salvation,You who are the trust of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest sea;

Daniel 9:14
"Therefore the LORD has kept the calamity in store and brought it on us; for the LORD our God is righteous with respect to all His deeds which He has done, but we have not obeyed His voice.

God's character is consistent with His deeds

James 1
17Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.

Thus, God can do all things, but chooses to do only good, evidenced through his deeds (not to mention that anything one person of the trinity does is witnessed by the other two persons, thus holding one another eternally accountable).

Sozo, do you believe that it is impossible for God to do evil? If so, on what basis is it impossible?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
Does OT not believe that?

Do you know anyone else that believes that?
I do not no any open theist who believes that God does evil or will do evil. The abstract question of whether he could do evil if he wanted to is totally irrelevant because he will never want to do evil.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I think that God, being omnipotent, has the ability to never do evil, whereas we do not have that ability. And I am an open theist.