Do you believe there is life on other planets?

• Yes

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 35 44.9%

• Total voters

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I read once that DNA is capable of producing a huge nember of species. The number posed was, get this: 1 followed by a million zeros!

It may be that DNA is unique to Earth, it may also be that DNA is universal.

Lovejoy

Perhaps the nucleic acids of other life forms just different nucleotides or something (note: this is me totally talking out of my rear-end, I have no idea if that is feasible)? I mean, RNA uses one different nucleotide than DNA. Maybe, like bacteria, it is shaped differently, or uses a different number of strands? Maybe they are Vulcans, and use copper rather than carbon as the building block of life?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Lovejoy

Perhaps the nucleic acids of other life forms just different nucleotides or something (note: this is me totally talking out of my rear-end, I have no idea if that is feasible)? I mean, RNA uses one different nucleotide than DNA. Maybe, like bacteria, it is shaped differently, or uses a different number of strands? Maybe they are Vulcans, and use copper rather than carbon as the building block of life?

The happenstance that Earth mammals have 4 limbs, a backbone and a head does not mean that extraterrestrial organisms will. It is likely that they have body structures completely foreign and unrecognizable to us. If you ever visit their planet, don't expect to find a chair to sit in.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

What does Zakath think?

SOTK

I also chose maybe. I don't believe there is other intelligent life but maybe life. The universe is huge! There's gotta be some other form of life out there. As I said though, I don't believe it's intelligent and has a soul.

firechyld

That's an interesting point. If there IS intelligent life, how do you determine whether or not it has a soul? Does intelligence suggest the prescence of one? Or can a being have human-level or higher intelligence without the prescence of a soul?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
spirit= God-breathed part of man that is God-conscious; the real you.

soul= personality...will, intellect, emotions= self-conscious.

body= temporary tent for the real you= world conscious.

This comes from the Creator's revelation on the nature of man.

The alternative is evolution that reduces us to a hairless ape who lives and dies like an animal.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by godrulz

OK.

My dog has all of those traits.

The alternative is evolution that reduces us to a hairless ape who lives and dies like an animal.

Or perhaps evolution was God's way of creating humans. :think:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Do you believe there is life on other planets?

Originally posted by Turbo

What does Zakath think?
If you're asking about my opinion of whether life exists on other planets, I think it's likely that there was/is/will be life throughout the universe. Until we run into some ET life forms we'll not have any data to make a reasonable guess as to how common life might be though... :think:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by godrulz

body= temporary tent for the real you= world conscious.

This comes from the Creator's revelation on the nature of man.

In humans, the "soul" is indistinguishable from the "mind". It appears to exist so long as the brain functions above a certain level. When the brain stops, it appears that so does the "mind" or "soul".

No one has produced empirically verifiable evidence of "ensoulment" in a human embryo and I am unaware of any empirically verifiable evidence that any part of a human continues to exist after brain death.

Perhaps other posters might know of some...

godrulz

Hall of Fame
"Soul" is sometimes used as referring to the whole person: "Many souls were lost at sea."

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BillyBob

My dog has all of those traits.
Yes conventional wisdom would say that a dog has a soul but no spirit.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by deardelmar

Yes conventional wisdom would say that a dog has a soul but no spirit.

I don't claim to know either way, but I do know that my dog has these 'qualities':

personality, will, intellect, emotions,.