Do you believe there is life on other planets?

Do you believe there is life on other planets?

• Yes

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 35 44.9%

• Total voters

1PeaceMaker

Yes.

I do think so, because why would God put all those nice planets out there, and do nothing with them. He's a smart dude, and he knows how to make the best use of His real-estate.

It would be nice to say all the weird folk came from somewhere out there, but I am afraid we'll just have to take responsibility for them. LOL

PeaceMaker

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I voted "maybe".

If the question had been, "Do you believe there is intelligent life on other planets?" then I would have answered no.

However, as asked, I would have to say that I don't know whether or not organisms of one kind or another live on other planets. But other creatures like humans? Definately not.

Resting in Him,
Clete :Clete:

JosephofMessiah

Re: Do you believe there is life on other planets?

Originally posted by Knight

Title: Do you believe there is life on other planets?

And if so... why?

And if not.... why not?

At one time I didn't care about this but now I think it important to denote the extreme possibility that not only life but intelligent life might exist in other places in our universe.

Base only upon the number of stars out there, it is a GREAT possibility that there is more life beyond our world.

Looking at the hubble deep space image, and how many galaxies are contained in the sky at arms length behind a grain of sand, well, it simply demonstrates there is much chance at life evolving upon those various worlds.

No one can answer a definite either way of course, but there is an exceedingly great possibility that "they/them" exist.

Oh, and on a historical sense, when a more advanced people meet a less advanced people, the less advanced are either destroyed or are (their culture/society/ect) destroyed/enslaved. So it would behoove mankind to always respect the idea that we are possibly not the only fish in the sea and to never have an ego so great that we do not question always or we could end up as those with the ego so great to declare their civilization "the best."

But, admit it, First Contact (if it took place in our day) would be of ULTIMATE meaning, first question of course out of everyone's mouth, "Did you guys seed a world a few billion years ago?"

Granite

Hall of Fame
Scripture is silent on the subject; so, just from a biblical perspective, it's impossible to speak on this issue with any dogmatism.

I voted "maybe." I like the idea that there's something else out there, and I think we'd have much to learn (good and bad) from an alien civilization should we ever make contact with one.

Chileice

I would say probably. If there is intelligent life I am sure God has also worked to rescue any race that exists. I hope that in heaven we can somehow get to know the whole universe. That ought to keep us entertained for eternity!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Aimiel

If there is, Christ died for them.
Hmmmm.... :think:

What if the life on other planets is like some sort of a bacteria that helped keep a planet clean or performed some other function like germs do here on earth?

Christ didn't die for bacteria did He?

Sozo

Originally posted by Knight

Hmmmm.... :think:

What if the life on other planets is like some sort of a bacteria that helped keep a planet clean or performed some other function like germs do here on earth?

Christ didn't die for bacteria did He?
Define "life".

Aimiel

Personally, I believe that Satan has something planned to fool many by use of a 'flying saucer' incident(s) which will be televised around the world, and lead many into hell, many who we might be able to stabilize in The Word before its too late. I don't think that all the 'hints' and interest the world over is for nothing.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Aimiel

Personally, I believe that Satan has something planned to fool many by use of a 'flying saucer' incident(s) which will be televised around the world, and lead many into hell, many who we might be able to stabilize in The Word before its too late. I don't think that all the 'hints' and interest the world over is for nothing.

Hasn't he already fooled a lot of people with UFOs already, assuming that UFOs are in fact demonic?

Aimiel

Ahh, yes, indeed he has. Many died in their foolish pursuit of them at the top of a skyscraper in Independence Day, but I believe that many will fall into a huge trap, by being fooled by 'creatures from another planet' who will lead a very large number of people to their physical doom, similar to what the cult that committed mass suicide to hitch a ride on a comet did. I think that was just a rehersal for what is coming.

Christine

I voted "maybe" I remember hearing about some single celled organisms or other simple life forms found out in outer space.

philosophizer

Maybe.

And like others have said, it's an important distinction to make between just life and intelligent life.

But there's no point in spending too much though on it until they show up and say hi. If they are out there, they were made by God too. (And that's GOD-- not some other planet's Mormons. :chuckle: )

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Speculation vs Scripture?:

i) The earth is unique, as is man in the universe. We are the apple of His eye. He created us in His image and redeemed us to rule and reign with Him. Scripture would probably have alluded to the reality of extraterrestrials. (I think this is Billy Graham's position, if it matters)

ii) UFOs etc. are natural phenomenon or demonic/occult. If there is intelligent life, it is under God's control and part of His creation.

iii) Those who come out of the Great Tribulation in their natural bodies will go into the millenium/earthly paradise. They will procreate and eventually populate the planets in eternity. Believers in glorified bodies in the New Jerusalem will access earth and the universe.

Negatively,

- we did not pre-exist as spirit children before being born (church father taught=Origen, LDS).

- Von Daniken's "Chariots of the gods' has been debunked as bad theology/science.

- Science fiction is interesting, but does not explain reality or origins adequately.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
"The earth is unique, as is man in the universe. We are the apple of His eye. He created us in His image and redeemed us to rule and reign with Him."

All true. None of this precludes the existence of intelligent life elsewhere, however.

"Scripture would probably have alluded to the reality of extraterrestrials."

Well...that's arguable, to put it mildly. Scripture doesn't give us information on a lot of things (Jesus' youth, for eample). Doesn't mean he didn't have one; likewise, scripture's silence on this topic is just that. Silence. So all we have to work with is really nothing that says, one way or another, if intelligent life is out there.

"UFOs etc. are natural phenomenon or demonic/occult."

Again, very arguable. SOME sightings are probably natural phenomenon. Some MAY be demonic. Others...well, others still can't be explained, not by Project Bluebook (surprise), not by skeptics. Crop circles, for example, have actually led to new studies in geometry and mathematics. (See the wikipedia article on crop circles.) Pretty clever hoaxers. So, all I'm saying is that dismissing UFOs completely out of hand as either "natural" or "demons" assumes, for one thing, that demons have that kind of power; and it also assumes that throughout most of human history, lights have been seen in the sky and have done little more than prank and toy with mankind.

UFOs aside there is also the "Mothman" incident (read the book; ignore the movie) and a plethora of weird, bizarre, unexplainable phenomenon--"Fortean" events--that are clearly not "natural" or easily explained. To write all of this off as "demons!" is the easy thing to do, yes. But maybe it's not the BEST explanation.

"Those who come out of the Great Tribulation in their natural bodies will go into the millenium/earthly paradise. They will procreate and eventually populate the planets in eternity. Believers in glorified bodies in the New Jerusalem will access earth and the universe."

Assuming, of course, that pre-trib eschatology is correct.

"We did not pre-exist as spirit children."

Well, maybe yes and maybe no, but I don't see how this ties into extraterrestrial life.

"'Chariots of the gods' has been debunked as bad theology/science"

Von Daniken wasn't on the up and up, true. Although others who unfortunately have been lumped in with von Daniken do ask questions about archeology and man's ancient history that still haven't been explained (there are various "erratics" throughout history, such as the Babylon Battery, Easter Island, and perhaps even the pyramids and sphinx that modern archeology cannot account for).

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by godrulz

Speculation vs Scripture?:

i) The earth is unique, as is man in the universe. We are the apple of His eye. He created us in His image and redeemed us to rule and reign with Him. Scripture would probably have alluded to the reality of extraterrestrials. (I think this is Billy Graham's position, if it matters)

The guys who wrote the Bible had no idea how old the Earth is, how big the Universe is or anything about evolution and modern science. The Bible is not the place to look for such answers.

ii) UFOs etc. are natural phenomenon or demonic/occult. If there is intelligent life, it is under God's control and part of His creation.

Whether or not UFO's are actually visitors from 'elsewhere' does not negate the probability of life exuding from every corner of the Universe.

It is unlikely that Earth has ever been visited by intelligent life due to the vast distances between stars.

iii) Those who come out of the Great Tribulation in their natural bodies will go into the millenium/earthly paradise. They will procreate and eventually populate the planets in eternity. Believers in glorified bodies in the New Jerusalem will access earth and the universe.
\

Hey, maybe you should try publishing your work in a Sci Fi magazine.

Negatively,

- we did not pre-exist as spirit children (Origen, LDS).

:confused:

- Von Daniken's "Chariots of the gods' has been debunked as bad theology/science.

Again, that has nothing to do with the probability of abundant life.

- Science fiction is interesting, but does not explain reality or origens adequately.

That is why it's called science fiction. :rolleyes: