ECT Do Miracles still happen today?

HikaruSwift

My mom and I disagree that Miracles still happen today, that people get miraculous healing, supernatural causes save peoples lives, etc.

I think miracles "could" still happen but they are highly unlikely. My mom thinks her surviving a car accident while remaining unhurt was a miracle. She thinks people getting healed on hospital beds are miracles, and she thinks that if Christians are sick, we should ask God to heal us. The only way we won't be healed is if we don't have enough faith, or God withheld the healing because of our sin or some other unknown reason.

The reason I don't believe in these miracle stories is because you can ask the other side. Someone dies in a car accident, but the other person survives. Did God save that one Christian and not the other? Just like if a boat sinks with 100 people, and 3 survive. Was it a miracle for them? How about the other 97 who died?

Another reason why I find it hard to believe, is that Christians call almost EVERYTHING a miracle, praying for a sickness to be healed while taking medicine, asking for God to start their car, etc.
If miracles happen so much, are they even worth calling a Miracle?

My mom brings up a few bible verses. If you guys could help me understand them that would be AMAZNING!

James 5:13-16
13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

Matthew 13:57-58
57And they took offense at Him. But Jesus said to them, “Only in his hometown and in his own household is a prophet without honor.” 58And He did not do many miracles there, because of their unbelief.

Isaiah 53:5
But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.

John 14:12
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

Thank you guys for your time! I hope my mom and I can get this argument cleared sooner or later.

Danoh

That is sort of like the belief in Karma in this life - the ol "what goes around, comes around."

People simply come up with a way to make sense of things, not knowing where to look at things from.

An old saying goes that the would be victim prays to God for safety; even as the thief not only prays to God for a victim, but thanks Him when he narrowly escapes getting caught.

Danoh

As for those passages; it depends on who you ask.

Some will assert "that was then," and even cite verses showing that such was the case...

Only to turn around and go on about supposed exceptions from their own life that actually contradict their "that was then."

Point said contradiction out to them and boy do the sparks fly :chuckle:

Mankind simply finds it difficult to let go superstition...

Just look at how they wanted to string up the Apostle Paul in Acts 14 when he called them on their superstitions - and that was despite his having performed a miracle as a confirmation that when he called a superstition just that - well, he knew what was what :chuckle:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
That is sort of like the belief in Karma in this life - the ol "what goes around, comes around."

People simply come up with a way to make sense of things, not knowing where to look at things from.

An old saying goes that the would be victim prays to God for safety; even as the thief not only prays to God for a victim, but thanks Him when he narrowly escapes getting caught.
View attachment 24788

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't discourage your mother from praying for miracles.
And thank her for all the prayers she has said for you.
She loves you and loves the ones she prays for.

HikaruSwift

I'm trying to help her not be superstitious.

She literally said that some Christians have stories, weird reasons that made them not go into work on the day of 9/11. And then I asked her Did God save those people? Why didn't he save the Christians who died on 9/11?

Her belief is unrealistic and unhealthy if my side is true.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your mother is no idiot; she can see that not all things work out well for all people at all times.
So obviously her faith is not hindered because of it.
But it is not unhealthy to love people and want to pray to GOD that things work out the best for them.
In fact, if you want to pray to the one that most assuredly has the power to do so, she picked the right guy to petition.

Danoh

HS, it appears you are trying to find passages in Scripture that back how you are seeing things.

Obviously, you are finding a contradiction between what many people claim and what you have found to be the case.

But how you are going about this is no way to go about things.

The thing to do is to study this issue out and then go with your findings.

In the meantime, you should leave your mom be.

She is your mom; no one is more special than one's mom. You should be cherising that you have her in your life.

Focus on that. Just love her where she is at in this. That is her understanding and expression of her trust in the Lord. Be greatful she even looks to Him.

Really, try to find joy in your mom just the way she is in her faith.

Study this issue of miracles out. By all means. For you, and where you are at.

But please; we're talking "mom" here.

She is everything.

Don't make this issue an issue with such an important person in your life - your precious mom.

I say all that as a 100% Cessationist myself.

musterion

I am a 100% cessationist with regard to all apostolic era sign gifts and the "ministry gifts" described by Paul. I also believe that God has not promised or guaranteed any miraculous intervention under grace. Zero, zip, nada.

But I further believe there is no indication that He categorically won't, either.

There is nothing in Pauls writings for this dispensation to indicate, as some insist, that God will not directly intervene in people's lives as He wills and if He will. Ask those who claim "God doesn't answer prayer today" to make that case with chapter and verse. They can't. They start with an assumed conclusion -- He won't -- and work backwards into Scripture to try to prove it.

That said, I believe it's pretty clear that if He intervenes it will be only on the behalf of, in the lives of, those who belong to the body of Christ. Yet even there, He has promised only to hear, not to act according to our expressed need.

But all who are not Christ's have nothing to claim before God except the saving Gospel of grace.

Last edited:

Interplanner

If it is a miracle for money that has been given to a mission or project to be replaced, sometimes double, for the most unexpected reasons, then that happens. I went to three branches of my bank and no one knew why a 'miscellaneous fee reimbursement' had been issued, yet it met and covered an additional gift to an orphanage in Rwanda, Africa Now. And it had been prayed for as it was given. The same week, too.

dodge

HS, it appears you are trying to find passages in Scripture that back how you are seeing things.

Obviously, you are finding a contradiction between what many people claim and what you have found to be the case.

But how you are going about this is no way to go about things.

The thing to do is to study this issue out and then go with your findings.

In the meantime, you should leave your mom be.

She is your mom; no one is more special than one's mom. You should be cherising that you have her in your life.

Focus on that. Just love her where she is at in this. That is her understanding and expression of her trust in the Lord. Be greatful she even looks to Him.

Really, try to find joy in your mom just the way she is in her faith.

Study this issue of miracles out. By all means. For you, and where you are at.

But please; we're talking "mom" here.

She is everything.

Don't make this issue an issue with such an important person in your life - your precious mom.

I say all that as a 100% Cessationist myself.

Danoh, that was good advice. Love her where she is at.

My mom ( she died in 2006 ) got hooked up with the SDA. I went and bought her a large print bible and we studied the scriptures together. She later trusted Jesus and left the SDA. One week before she passed she told me she was ready to go to be with Jesus.

Treasure them while they are here and let LOVE guide your actions.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Do Miracles still happen today?

they sure do! :thumb:

pics-of-newborn-babies.jpg

dodge

My mom and I disagree that Miracles still happen today, that people get miraculous healing, supernatural causes save peoples lives, etc.

I think miracles "could" still happen but they are highly unlikely. My mom thinks her surviving a car accident while remaining unhurt was a miracle. She thinks people getting healed on hospital beds are miracles, and she thinks that if Christians are sick, we should ask God to heal us. The only way we won't be healed is if we don't have enough faith, or God withheld the healing because of our sin or some other unknown reason.

The reason I don't believe in these miracle stories is because you can ask the other side. Someone dies in a car accident, but the other person survives. Did God save that one Christian and not the other? Just like if a boat sinks with 100 people, and 3 survive. Was it a miracle for them? How about the other 97 who died?

Another reason why I find it hard to believe, is that Christians call almost EVERYTHING a miracle, praying for a sickness to be healed while taking medicine, asking for God to start their car, etc.
If miracles happen so much, are they even worth calling a Miracle?

My mom brings up a few bible verses. If you guys could help me understand them that would be AMAZNING!

James 5:13-16
13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

Matthew 13:57-58
57And they took offense at Him. But Jesus said to them, “Only in his hometown and in his own household is a prophet without honor.” 58And He did not do many miracles there, because of their unbelief.

Isaiah 53:5
But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.

John 14:12
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

Thank you guys for your time! I hope my mom and I can get this argument cleared sooner or later.

Miracles still happen !

Have you ever studied the Israeli and Arab 6 or 7 day wars ? Both times Israel was vastly out numbered and should have lost, but they didn't.

Danoh

How about demon possession, ...... still happening today?

Nope.

"That which is perfect is come..." 1 Cor. 13:10.

And with that, that spiritual portal between the physical and the spiritual world was shut down until the Lord Himself reopens it, when He re-appears in this physical world in the air to catch up His Body, Col. 3:4.

With that, things will return to where they had been left at in Rom. 3:19-20, before Rom. 3:21 began.

Til then, it's Rom. 11:25.

Sometime after which, it will be 2 Thess. 2:8-12, as things finally head towards the yet future Rom. 11:26-29.

2 Thess. 2:13-18 then having passed (Rom. 11:25).

It is why, and why it is called...being 100% Cessationist...consistently :)

dodge

Nope.

"That which is perfect is come..." 1 Cor. 13:10.

And with that, that spiritual portal between the physical and the spiritual world was shut down until the Lord Himself reopens it, when He re-appears in this physical world in the air to catch up His Body, Col. 3:4.

With that, things will return to where they had been left at in Rom. 3:19-20, before Rom. 3:21 began.

Til then, it's Rom. 11:25.

Sometime after which, it will be 2 Thess. 2:8-12, as things finally head towards the yet future Rom. 11:26-29.

2 Thess. 2:13-18 then having passed (Rom. 11:25).

It is why, and why it is called...being 100% Cessationist...consistently :)

1Tim 4:1-3 In the latter days, people will give into deceiving spirits and "doctrines of demons".

musterion

I know at least one MAD pastor who is convinced demonic possession still happens and claims to have seen it first hand (before he was MAD, but he still believes it).