ECT DID PAUL BAPTIZE , ARE YOU SURE ??

DAN P

Where specifically does the bible show the other apostles water baptizing anyone?
The bible shows Paul baptizing people.
Surely the bible will show the other apostles water baptizing people, no?

Hi and I wrote some passages , and Jesus never baptized ONLY HIS APOSTLES !!! John 4:1-2 !!

dan p

andyc

Hi and I wrote some passages , and Jesus never baptized ONLY HIS APOSTLES !!! John 4:1-2 !!

dan p

The 12 apostles were his closest disciples at the time, but where does it actually show any of the apostles water baptizing anyone?

DAN P

What I'm wondering, Dan, is if this is when the Lord sent Paul to preach the Gospel and stop the water baptism....which is why he can name those few he had baptized ie Crispus.

Acts 18:9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

Hi , and I have proven to myself , why Paul could NEVER , BAPTIZE , by 1 Cor 1:17 !!

I believe that many Jews were keeping the Law as Luke wrote in Acts 21:21 , ZEALOUS of the Law , BUT after Acts 28:28 , Israel was set aside !!

Jews are now being saved by 1 Cor 3:16 , and only by the Grace of God , Rom 10:9 !!

dan p

turbosixx

Hi , and I have proven to myself , why Paul could NEVER , BAPTIZE , by 1 Cor 1:17 !!

You're taking this verse out of context and creating a dogma around this verse ALONE even though the context and other verses do not support it. You have proven WRONG to yourself. Why I don't know. It doesn't appear you are honestly seeking the truth.

If you're truly seeking truth, then you should seek to understand this verse in context. Then when you read where Paul actually converted these Corinthians, instead of seeing contradiction you will see harmony.

glorydaz

You're taking this verse out of context and creating a dogma around this verse ALONE even though the context and other verses do not support it. You have proven WRONG to yourself. Why I don't know. It doesn't appear you are honestly seeking the truth.

If you're truly seeking truth, then you should seek to understand this verse in context. Then when you read where Paul actually converted these Corinthians, instead of seeing contradiction you will see harmony.

Dan goes deeper into all the verses than you ever will.

You're just skimming the surface, your own self.

And, you see water baptism everywhere, when Paul was not even sent to baptize.
My question is what particular revelation from the Lord made that clear to Paul.

glorydaz

I believe that many Jews were keeping the Law as Luke wrote in Acts 21:21 , ZEALOUS of the Law , BUT after Acts 28:28 , Israel was set aside !!

Jews are now being saved by 1 Cor 3:16 , and only by the Grace of God , Rom 10:9 !!

dan p

I agree, but did he water baptize a few before Israel was set aside?

turbosixx

Dan goes deeper into all the verses than you ever will.

You're just skimming the surface, your own self.

And, you see water baptism everywhere, when Paul was not even sent to baptize.
My question is what particular revelation from the Lord made that clear to Paul.

Dan is pulling this verse out of context and using it ALONE making it say something it does not.

You're welcome to explain the verse IN CONTEXT where it harmonizes, as it should, with the passage where Paul actually converted the Corinthians.

glorydaz

Dan is pulling this verse out of context and using it ALONE making it say something it does not.

You're welcome to explain the verse IN CONTEXT where it harmonizes, as it should, with the passage where Paul actually converted the Corinthians.

No, Dan is getting to the heart of the matter.

So, let's look at it in context. Paul is rebuking them for the foolish contentions having to do with things of no matter. He thanks God that he did not contribute to those contentions any more than he may have done unknowingly. All foolishness.

1 Cor. 1:11-16 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.​

Putting all those foolish contentions of no matter aside, Paul is very specific. He was not sent to baptize, but to preach the Gospel. It is the Gospel that saves....not any baptism that can be performed by man. John's baptism (WATER) no matter who performed it did not save. And those who look to baptism are making the CROSS OF CHRIST OF NONE EFFECT.

1 Cor. 1:17-18 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.​

Paul was sent to preach the Gospel, for it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. (NOT to save them who have been water baptized). Dispute over it as you may.

1 Cor. 1:19-22 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Therefore, Paul has put off water baptizing as foolishness and the cause of contentions. That's what I see in the context. It takes the focus off Christ crucified and puts the focus on man's works.

turbosixx

No, Dan is getting to the heart of the matter.

So, let's look at it in context. Paul is rebuking them for the foolish contentions having to do with things of no matter. He thanks God that he did not contribute to those contentions any more than he may have done unknowingly. All foolishness.

1 Cor. 1:11-16 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. 16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.​

Putting all those foolish contentions of no matter aside, Paul is very specific. He was not sent to baptize, but to preach the Gospel. It is the Gospel that saves....not any baptism that can be performed by man. John's baptism (WATER) no matter who performed it did not save. And those who look to baptism are making the CROSS OF CHRIST OF NONE EFFECT.

1 Cor. 1:17-18 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.​

Paul was sent to preach the Gospel, for it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. (NOT to save them who have been water baptized). Dispute over it as you may.

1 Cor. 1:19-22 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Therefore, Paul has put off water baptizing as foolishness and the cause of contentions. That's what I see in the context. It takes the focus off Christ crucified and puts the focus on man's works.

Paul is not dealing with "contentions" in general but a specific one? What is it?

glorydaz

Paul is not dealing with "contentions" in general but a specific one? What is it?

You only see one? :think: Paul is talking about anything outside of the preaching of the cross of Christ. This one follows that one, and that one claims to be of the other one, and this one was baptized by that one, and this one baptized all those.....that is not one specific contention. He is addressing man followers and partisanship. Those things that cause church splits.

The entire point is that ANYTHING outside of preaching the cross is "wisdom of this world". Citing what rituals you have done, boasting of what man you follow, or claiming you repent of sins...or any other foolishness that men will boast over and consider wise.

1COR. 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Squabbling over signs and requirements, when there are none. One says this and one says the other. "We must do something in order to be saved, or we must follow this man". You see it right here on TOL.

1 Cor. 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:​

1 Cor. 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;​

We preach Christ crucified.

1 Cor. 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.​

turbosixx

You only see one? :think: Paul is talking about anything outside of the preaching of the cross of Christ. This one follows that one, and that one claims to be of the other one, and this one was baptized by that one, and this one baptized all those.....that is not one specific contention. He is addressing man followers and partisanship. Those things that cause church splits. [/INDENT]

Yes, this is the problem but I suggest you're still filtering it.

What was the basis of the division? Baptism! People were saying they "follow" the one who baptized them. The one who said they followed Christ were the only ones who were correct.

Why does Paul ask "Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?"

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Yes, this is the problem but I suggest you're still filtering it.

What was the basis of the division? Baptism! People were saying they "follow" the one who baptized them. The one who said they followed Christ were the only ones who were correct.

Why does Paul ask "Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?"

Isn't that obvious that Paul baptized in the name of Jesus?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul was sent to preach as an apostle, others can baptize.

Jesus was sent to preach but his disciples baptized, and still do.

"Jesus answered, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.'" (John 3:5)

Only a few will enter the kingdom of God.

glorydaz

Paul was sent to preach as an apostle, others can baptize.

Jesus was sent to preach but his disciples baptized, and still do.

"Jesus answered, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.'" (John 3:5)

Only a few will enter the kingdom of God.

Boy, you guys see the word water and you all jump in....it's over your head guys. :chuckle:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Boy, you guys see the word water and you all jump in....it's over your head guys. :chuckle:

Jesus told Nicodemus that a person must be born a second time to enter God's realm.

Nicodemus asked, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?"

Jesus said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

Paul explained the water is a symbol death in which the old person dies.

It's obvious a person cannot be born again until the old person dies.

In baptism the spiritually dead person is then raised to walk with Christ in a new life.

There are three witnesses: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.

Without water a person is missing a witness of their rebirth.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I agree, but did he water baptize a few before Israel was set aside?

The birthright nations of Israel were never set aside. Not in World War 1 and not in World War 2.

The birthright nations prevailed and rescued the Jews from the Nazi death camps.

Jerry Shugart

Jesus said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

He also made it plain that is referring to being "born again" and here Peter writes that a person is born again by the gospel and nothing more:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23,25).​

When the Lord Jesus used the word "water" He was speaking in "type," specifically the water of Numbers 19:9 which was a "purification for sin" and is in regard to the red heifer sin-offering.

In "type" the Jews received the benefits of the sin offering by that water and today that benefit is received by the word of God which comes in holy spirit (1 Thess.1:5).