Did Christ know He was fully God?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You could ask how could He not know?
:think: He is God. So you're saying, Seeing as He is God, when He was young, how would God, as a youngster, see Himself? Or, is there a way that God, born as a baby boy, could have not known Who He was? And if there is a way, then what might we see in His story that would indicate that He became aware of Who He was at some point, and His story would not indicate that He knew before this? Like His baptism? His temptation? Certainly His passion? His resurrection? His Ascension? When did He become fully aware? Surely before He began His ministry, or at the beginning of His ministry, John 2:19 (KJV), and I think, for certain in Luke 2:49 (KJV) too. Seeing as He is God, why wouldn't these verses indicate precisely what they look to be indicating? that He is God, and that He knew it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
:think: He is God. So you're saying, Seeing as He is God, when He was young, how would God, as a youngster, see Himself? Or, is there a way that God, born as a baby boy, could have not known Who He was? And if there is a way, then what might we see in His story that would indicate that He became aware of Who He was at some point, and His story would not indicate that He knew before this? Like His baptism? His temptation? Certainly His passion? His resurrection? His Ascension? When did He become fully aware? Surely before He began His ministry, or at the beginning of His ministry, John 2:19 (KJV), and I think, for certain in Luke 2:49 (KJV) too. Seeing as He is God, why wouldn't these verses indicate precisely what they look to be indicating? that He is God, and that He knew it.
Being fully human we know that babies are not born walking and talking so it's difficult to know when Jesus became aware of His divinity. I don't know of a scripture that specifies.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Being fully human we know that babies are not born walking and talking so it's difficult to know when Jesus became aware of His divinity. I don't know of a scripture that specifies.
I don't know either, but I do know that He knew, and His mother knew, before anybody else did, if---and it's a big if---John 2:3-4 (KJV) is a quarrel about Mary, pressuring Jesus to finally reveal Himself as God to the world.

Maybe not though? It looks that way to me (Jn2:11KJV), but I could be wrong. :think:

glorydaz

But God would be experiencing the things all babies experience. Their hunger, thirst, illness, fear, parental love, comfort, warmth, etc. What happens to us as infants has a huge impact on us. More than we know, I'm sure. The scripture tells us "in all things".....

Heb. 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.​

oatmeal

What say you?

Moses was fully God, per Exodus 7:1, "And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet."

Moses knew it didn't he? After all God had him write down the revelation of the book of Exodus.

Exodus 7:1 is God's testimony of who Moses is. It it not the emotionally overwhelmed testimony of a human being. If God was wrong to call Moses god, why didnt God correct God?

The people that Jesus referred to in John 10 are fully God as well.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Jesus was no more "the God" than Moses and those Jesus referred to in John 10

So was Moses, the God? Were the people Jesus referred to in John 10 "the Gods"?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So Mary potty trained God? Now that is love.

And she nursed him and kept him warm.

Joseph protected Jesus by taking him to Egypt.

He did this so Herod would not kill him.

Joseph trained Jesus so he could make a living.

Hawkins

God has the ability not to know anything. This is the ability as part of His omnipotence. Jesus doesn't need to know everything God the Father knows during His journey on earth as a matter of His submission to God. He thus is more a like a prophet sent. He knows whatever and at the point God the Father wants Him to know.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What say you?
Interesting question.
It will delve into the nature of the incarnation.
And is why we see debates on how many natures Jesus had.
Did He have only one nature, or did He have two?

When Jesus was a newborn infant, did His mind already function fully?
Could He, as GOD, already speak a fluent language while He was a newborn?
Or was language something He had to learn as He grew, just like all other newborns of mankind?

How does one go about separating (or rather distinguishing) between His manhood and His Godhood when discussing the stages of His manhood?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God has the ability not to know anything. This is the ability as part of His omnipotence. Jesus doesn't need to know everything God the Father knows during His journey on earth as a matter of His submission to God. He thus is more a like a prophet sent. He knows whatever and at the point God the Father wants Him to know.
Hi, Hawkins.
Welcome to the discussion.

If GOD could make Himself not know anything, then how could He ever return to a state of knowing while He is in a state of not knowing????

But you do bring up an excellent point about submission.
Mankind is to submit to GOD.
Jesus, as man, submitted to GOD.
But also, Jesus was GOD and mankind was to submit to Him.

glorydaz

Moses was fully God, per Exodus 7:1, "And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet."

Moses knew it didn't he? After all God had him write down the revelation of the book of Exodus.

Exodus 7:1 is God's testimony of who Moses is. It it not the emotionally overwhelmed testimony of a human being. If God was wrong to call Moses god, why didnt God correct God?

The people that Jesus referred to in John 10 are fully God as well.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Jesus was no more "the God" than Moses and those Jesus referred to in John 10

So was Moses, the God? Were the people Jesus referred to in John 10 "the Gods"?

No, Moses was not fully God. You need to read what is written, NOT read INTO what is written.

Moses was asking God how it would be that Pharaoh would listen to one such as Moses.

Exodus 6:29-30 That the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, I am the Lord: speak thou unto Pharaoh king of Egypt all that I say unto thee. And Moses said before the Lord, Behold, I am of uncircumcised lips, and how shall Pharaoh hearken unto me?

God assures him that he would make him a "god" to Pharaoh.

Exodus 7:1-2 And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet. Thou shalt speak all that I command thee: and Aaron thy brother shall speak unto Pharaoh, that he send the children of Israel out of his land.​

And that He proceeds to do with all the signs and wonders that came by Moses' command. Who spoke for the Lord God as Pharaoh would soon know. Exodus 7:5

And the Judges of Israel were not "fully God", either, and you know it. The Psalm our Lord was referring to makes it clear ...they were men who spoke for God.

Jesus was a man, who not only spoke for God, but WAS GOD and was WITH GOD from the beginning. John 1:1 The question is did He know that (not whether you know that or not). ;)

glorydaz

Yep, He certainly has the ability to choose what He allowed His own humanity to know. It seems He chose not to know the day or hour which He would return. :idunno:

glorydaz

Interesting question.
It will delve into the nature of the incarnation.
And is why we see debates on how many natures Jesus had.
Did He have only one nature, or did He have two?

When Jesus was a newborn infant, did His mind already function fully?
Could He, as GOD, already speak a fluent language while He was a newborn?
Or was language something He had to learn as He grew, just like all other newborns of mankind?

How does one go about separating (or rather distinguishing) between His manhood and His Godhood when discussing the stages of His manhood?

Yeah, his humanity veiled His full Glory, but His Glory was still there. On the mount of Transfiguration, He allowed it to be seen (or at least partially).

glorydaz

Hi, Hawkins.
Welcome to the discussion.

If GOD could make Himself not know anything, then how could He ever return to a state of knowing while He is in a state of not knowing????

But you do bring up an excellent point about submission.
Mankind is to submit to GOD.
Jesus, as man, submitted to GOD.
But also, Jesus was GOD and mankind was to submit to Him.

The only thing I can think of that He said He didn't know was the time of His return.

He said that He told his followers "everything" the Father had told Him, which means He would have to tell them the time of His return if He knew it. John 15:15 What do you think about that part, Tam?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes

John 2:23-25 King James Version (KJV)

23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.

24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,

25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The only thing I can think of that He said He didn't know was the time of His return.

He said that He told his followers "everything" the Father had told Him, which means He would have to tell them the time of His return if He knew it. John 15:15 What do you think about that part, Tam?
Yeah, it get's tricky doesn't it.

We also have Peter's statement:

John 21 KJV
(17) He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

glorydaz

Yeah, it get's tricky doesn't it.

We also have Peter's statement:

John 21 KJV
(17) He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

When you think of how we are capable of doing more than one thing at a time, how we do so many things automatically without even needing to think about it, it makes it easier to see how Jesus could hold together the world while walking among us as a man. He sure didn't tell the disciples everything He knew as God Almighty.

oatmeal

No, Moses was not fully God. You need to read what is written, NOT read INTO what is written.

Moses was asking God how it would be that Pharaoh would listen to one such as Moses.

Exodus 6:29-30 That the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, I am the Lord: speak thou unto Pharaoh king of Egypt all that I say unto thee. And Moses said before the Lord, Behold, I am of uncircumcised lips, and how shall Pharaoh hearken unto me?

God assures him that he would make him a "god" to Pharaoh.

Exodus 7:1-2 And the Lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet. Thou shalt speak all that I command thee: and Aaron thy brother shall speak unto Pharaoh, that he send the children of Israel out of his land.​

And that He proceeds to do with all the signs and wonders that came by Moses' command. Who spoke for the Lord God as Pharaoh would soon know. Exodus 7:5

And the Judges of Israel were not "fully God", either, and you know it. The Psalm our Lord was referring to makes it clear ...they were men who spoke for God.

Jesus was a man, who not only spoke for God, but WAS GOD and was WITH GOD from the beginning. John 1:1 The question is did He know that (not whether you know that or not). ;)

God said Moses is God. If you choose not to believe that, oh well