Did Christ die for all men?

Sonnet

First, I am not a Calvinist. I firmly believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for the sins of the entire world, thus making the free gift of Salvation possible.

Romans 6:23 KJV For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The gift of God is offered to all men, but many will reject it. The gift is offered by God's Grace - through faith in Jesus Christ: that He died on the Cross for our sins, that He was buried, and that He arose from the dead on the third day. We can do nothing to earn or deserve Salvation, so all of the glory goes to God.

1 John 2:1-2 KJV My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2. And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

I have many friends and some family members who are Calvinists. I disagree with them, but I know that they are Saved. So, we are brothers and sisters in Christ with doctrinal differences. I and my Calvinist friends are all purchased possessions of the same Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, regardless of our differences. There is nothing in God's Word that mandates one be a Calvinist or an Arminian to be Saved.

Thanks. I agree with your thoughts.

Would your Calvinist friends hesitate to tell unbelievers that Christ died for them? Would they accept that it would only be right to tell the unsaved that, in their view, Christ has not provided for all men?

How can God remain in control if man may choose, under prevenient grace, to put their faith in Christ. God's lost control hasn't He?

Sonnet

Some Calvinists would/could say it and mean it. I'm not sure how they embrace limited atonement at that point.

An honest answer. Thanks.

I tend to quote scriptures rather than try to summarize or rephrase them. There are a couple of reasons for this. 1) God has only promised that His word will accomplish His goals. 2) If I'm going to speak for Him, I feel a need to not misquote Him and I've a little less confidence (okay a LOT less) when I'm using my own words instead of His. Also, I think scripture has a way of reaching past my particular take on theology.

Good point.

I think you are correct that I don't sound always like a Calvinist, but quoting scriptures doesn't cast me easily as an Arminian either. The down-side of labels even though they can help peg us, is they also can get in the way, especially with any preconceived notion or hang-up. "I'm a Calvinist, I however disagree with a few Calvinist points and come to some of the other points a bit differently than other Calvinists."

I'd say "For God so loved people (the world), that He gave His only Begotten Son, that whosoever should believe in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Nice words.

I also like the analogy Jesus uses just before 3:16.

Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness so shall the Son of Man be lifted up so that everyone who believes may have eternal life in Him.

It's curious that no other Calvinists have posted a refutation of this thread.

Reactions: Lon

Lon

An honest answer. Thanks.
Spoiler

Good point.

Nice words.

I also like the analogy Jesus uses just before 3:16.

Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness so shall the Son of Man be lifted up so that everyone who believes may have eternal life in Him.
Not much to say with so much agreement. I pray you'd see past the planters and waterers to the God behind it all.
It's curious that no other Calvinists have posted a refutation of this thread.
There are a LOT of 'ask a Calvinist' threads and have been many of them in the past. Try a 'bump' post in a few weeks or in a month or two. Don't be discouraged.
Thanks.

It is certainly possible that polygamy was permitted as the least worst solution to a problem of an excess of women (due wars killing more men and higher birth rate of women) who were vulnerable and uneducated.

And yet it amounts to adultery...Romans 7:1ff
They didn't have Romans. Remember the OT is the low-bar (imho and estimation) and the NT is the high-bar.
Love covers a multitude of sin. I think monogamy the best model and polygamy would overtly stress love's intent.
I'm not meaning to say it is utilitarian, but rather that all the Law and Prophets are about either/and loving God and loving man.

Most of the time, this is how I reconcile all of Scriptures. If Jesus said it is all about Love of God and man, it seems that must be the reconciliation of all points of Scripture. I admittedly have a hard time reading all the OT being able to personally reconcile according to that model, but I don't doubt the Lord Jesus Christ. I chalk it up to just not being the know-it-all I sometimes think I am.
The evidence from the rock layers is completely at odds with a world wide Noachian flood. Many Christian geologist...Woodward, Cuviert etc felt they could not uphold the catastrophism that scripture implies.
I question science as much as I question my understanding of scripture. In both, we are at the mercies of deduction and interpretation. On this one, plate tectonic theory doesn't seem to play as an important of a role either in science denying a flood, or Biblical scholars not including it in their understanding of scriptural considerations. Sorry, rambling, the point is we are left at the mercies of interpretation both from science and bible reading deductions. At one time, I'd have tentatively held to a flat earth, likely. Bad? No, I don't 'think' it either hindered science nor spirituality. In a nutshell, I think we 'can' afford to be wrong on some things without dire consequences. If it really does ruin your faith, I could be wrong, but I don't think it has to end up there. To me, this isn't a deal-breaker. For others, perhaps it is, but I'm not understanding why it becomes an essential issue of spirituality at that point. Many today 'try' to make it that, but I'm still not quite grasping the connection. It seems 'hype' to me (not at all pointed at any one in particular nor you).

I do not, however, deny the possibility that the flood took place as described in Genesis 6ff
My response to skeptics: "Look, the epic of Gilgamesh contains things we find incredulous along with other cultures that recorded a global flood among harder to imagine story-lines. Though that looks like a deal-breaker, it actually substantiates the flood story archeologically.
We have every reason to think that a commonality of a recorded flood, is in fact observation by these cultures of a cataclysmic event, not doubt it." Again, we are ever at the mercies of other's interpretations. Just because a scientist, or even a few of them think that a global flood is impossible, it doesn't make historical sense to deny that ancient peoples separate from one another, 1) Made it a matter of great import to record something of it, but 2) that they corroborate something. Scientists aren't really that broad in their focus, but I'd think they should be, more often than not. Science is a job, not a narrow-focused way of life. They shouldn't even read the paper if they truly believed science was the only source of reliable information (they don't, but sometimes, like denying historical record, a few of them go 'beyond' their area of expertise. Like religion as a subject, especially Christianity, science too can get myopic, at least from my observation and summation.

-Lon

heir

TOL Subscriber
Did Christ die for all men?
Yes, to be testified in due time.

1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

1 Timothy 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

journey

Thanks. I agree with your thoughts.

Would your Calvinist friends hesitate to tell unbelievers that Christ died for them? Would they accept that it would only be right to tell the unsaved that, in their view, Christ has not provided for all men?

How can God remain in control if man may choose, under prevenient grace, to put their faith in Christ. God's lost control hasn't He?

I think that some would and some would not. I really can't speak for them. God could have made all of us like robots - programmed to fulfill His every wish. However, we know that God didn't do that. God wants our love and worship because we want to, not because He forced us to.

Nanja

Scripture declares that God's Grace is given only to His Elect chosen in Union with Christ before the world began 2 Tim. 1:9; Eph. 1:4-7, His Saints, but never said to be offered or made available, for that kind of thinking can only proceed from the mind of man!

~~~~~

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Scripture declares that God's Grace is given only to His Elect chosen in Union with Christ before the world began 2 Tim. 1:9; Eph. 1:4-7, His Saints, but never said to be offered or made available, for that kind of thinking can only proceed from the mind of man!

~~~~~

Those who call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved Romans 10:13.

Reactions: Lon

beloved57

~~~~~

Amen Sister!

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Would your Calvinist friends hesitate to tell unbelievers that Christ died for them?
No properly instructed Reformed person would expect to hear a preacher or anyone saying to a specific person that Our Lord died for that specific person. How can we presume to know the secret will of God to make such a statement?

Our Lord died for all those given to Him , else His death was in vain and a mere potential salvation, not an actual one for those God the Father gave to Him.

What we should be saying is that all who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved and not lost to Him.

The tearful altar calls to the sound of "Just As I Am" were the invention of the Pelagian Charles Finney.

AMR

heir

TOL Subscriber
No union with Our Lord until one is regenerated from above.

Hopefully and prayerfully, the discerning will reject the hyper-calvinist notions of eternal justification argued by beloved57 and Nanja.

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?115439-Eternal-Security-!&p=4643308&viewfull=1#post4643308

AMR
The regeneration is the Lord's shed on us, not our regeneration!

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Titus 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

"Regeneration" is the miracle of new life brought upon those sinners, for whom Jesus Christ died, when they are spiritually born again by the resurrection power of the Holy Spirit of Christ . . As described by John in John 3:6-8 and Paul in Acts 26:18.

I believe this is the "first resurrection". Revelation 20:6

Sonnet

~~~~~

He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

God chose, before the foundation of the world, to save through the provision of Jesus.

For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace

God chose to provide redemption through Jesus Christ before the foundation of the world. Those in him would be blameless and adopted as sons. All this was predetermined.

The OP makes a very specific point which I would appreciate you addressing. Thanks.

Lon

Not sure if you were agreeing or disagreeing. Ephesians 2:10 2 Corinthians 5:17?

Sonnet

No properly instructed Reformed person would expect to hear a preacher or anyone saying to a specific person that Our Lord died for that specific person.

Saint Paul did.

1 Corinthians 15:11
Whether, then it is I or they (the apostles) this is what we preach and this is what you believed.

What is 'this'? Verses 1-7:

Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

Paul explicitly says (in the quoted v.11) - 'this is what you believed' - the Corinthians believed 'this' when he first came to them. Nothing in Paul's words guards against this understanding - that Christ died for all.

Paul preached this gospel. Yours is different.

Tell a man that someone has died for them - and, indeed, for all men - then it will/must make an impact. Tell a man that someone may have not died for you - that, rather, he died for a select few - then the reaction will be quite different.

Paul also said:
As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

Sonnet

How curious that Christianity does not even agree on the very essence of the message of the 'good news'.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You answered your own question with the verses you appeal to, none of which conflict with what I have posted if you actually read them carefully...

1 Corinthians 15:11
Whether, then it is I or they (the apostles) this is what we preach and this is what you believed.

What is 'this'? Verses 1-7:

Now, brothers and sisters...
Get it? :AMR:

Why would I tell you (or another person) Our Lord may not have died for you? How exactly would I know this? What I do know is that there are some now in Hell and more arriving daily, so I am confident Our Lord did not die for these folks, else they would not be undergoing eternal punishment for sins that have been atoned for by Our Lord.

So, please do not put words in my mouth. Tell a person what you really have warrant to know, that the wages of sin are death, all have sinned, God in his mercy has made provision for sin, Jesus Christ has died and rose again, and all who call upon His name shall be saved.

Did you even take the time to carefully review the link previously given?
AMR

Last edited:

Lon

How curious that Christianity does not even agree on the very essence of the message of the 'good news'.

Are you sure it is 'essence?' It looks rather like 'who,' that is debated. Only those in Christ are 'in Christ.' How they got there may be debated until the cows come home, as far as I can tell. Those not in Christ, are not 'in Christ.' How they remain their might be debated as well. I don't believe another's fate removes or should distract from our own encounter with God. To me, this is kind of like picking my friends 'only' on the basis of what one of my friends says about someone. "I won't be his friend." Well, what does that have to do with me? If they won't be my friend either....all on them. To me, it looks like being called "a friend of God" is a good thing. I'm bothered but not crying for their decision. They made it. Their loss? Yes. And I would continue to do as much as I can to ensure they don't continue to reject something wonderful. That's when they tend to avoid us for being so adamant about their plight. I try to be creative in how many different ways I can say "You are going the wrong way!!!" Regardless, we all come to Christ the same way. Standing on deck from a Coast Guard rescue, we may all argue 'how' we got on deck, but once on deck, arguing about it doesn't stop us from being on deck. Now if someone would push me back in, that's not going to be cool....