Did Christ die for all men?

Sonnet

John Piper is a Calvinist but listen to what he tells unbelievers from 4mins 40secs in on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3psJWtT68WE&t=04m40s (The link takes you to 4.40)

"...embrace the gospel that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the righteous one, died for your sins..."

The antecedent of 'your' is unbelievers.

John Piper believes in particular redemption (also called 'limited atonement' or 'definite atonement') - so did he misspeak? Is his theology tripping him up?

(I posted a very similar OP to this on another Christian forum site (long time ago now) - but I'm still curious about what folks think).

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Christ died for all man's sins.

but our sins will not be forgiven if we don't accept Him as Lord and Savior.

salvation is conditional; to have faith in God and Jesus.

You should be reading His word to get the answers, friend.

the key to your question is this verse:

"for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life"

Sonnet

Christ died for all man's sins.

but our sins will not be forgiven if we don't accept Him as Lord and Savior.

salvation is conditional; to have faith in God and Jesus.

You should be reading His word to get the answers, friend.

the key to your question is this verse:

"for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life"

This would be my interpretation of scripture too.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
This would be my interpretation of scripture too.

You don't seem to have confidence in Jesus' word, otherwise you will not be questioning such as this.

If you have questions regarding Christian faith, keep reading His word until you have confidence in His word.

Sonnet

At stake is the very essence of the gospel of Jesus Christ - the 'good news'. If one's theology limits Christ's atonement to an 'elect', then is not the very Word eviscerated?

Romans 5:6-8
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

If someone has died for me then it demands a response. But if I am told that I may have been left out - that only certain individuals might be the beneficiaries, then the reaction will be quite different.

Sonnet

You don't seem to have confidence in Jesus' word, otherwise you will not be questioning such as this.

If you have questions regarding Christian faith, keep reading His word until you have confidence in His word.

I don't take to faith easily. Faith is based on evidence, I'd say. Acts 2:22.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I don't take to faith easily. Faith is based on evidence, I'd say. Acts 2:22.

Evidence is Jesus' word.

You still don't know what Christianity is all about.

Christians' name came from Jesus Christ.

they are Jesus' followers.

You cannot follow Him if you don't know what He teaches.

You need to get this simple fact strait, friend.

You seem to be seeking cheap salvation.

Christianity is all about Jesus' salvation.

You will not get salvation without knowing and practice what Jesus teaches or commands.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Many so called "Christians" will tell you that you don't have to follow Jesus to be saved.

Isn't this kind of faith you are seeking for?

beameup

I believe that Calvinists (John Calvin) believe that Christ died only for "the elect" (those who would come to Christ). Actually, Calvinism is a dominant theology in Christendom.

Sonnet

If you really want the truth, you ought to be reading His word which you keep disregarding over and over.

I do read His word - as i have already said.

You make lots of assertions but I am perplexed as to why.

The OP is pretty specific so we are getting off topic.

Sonnet

I believe that Calvinists (John Calvin) believe that Christ died only for "the elect" (those who would come to Christ). Actually, Calvinism is a dominant theology in Christendom.

So Piper misspeaks in the video? 'Christ died for your sins' should not be preached to unbelievers?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I do read His word - as i have already said.

You make lots of assertions but I am perplexed as to why.

It is not assertion, Your posts and questions are the fact that you don't have confidence in Jesus' word.

what you have been asking is plainly explained by Jesus.

You have read Jesus' word yet you need other's assurance about His word.

You are not committed to Jesus.

If you are committed, you will have confidence in His word.

Without commitment to Jesus, your knowledge is just empty spiritually.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
So Piper misspeaks in the video? 'Christ died for your sins' should not be preached to unbelievers?

where did you get the idea that Jesus' word should not be preached to the world?

Jesus died for the whole world.

Please don't make Jesus' simple good news so complicated. It is a grave sin to do that.

You get so easily confused because you are not committed to Jesus.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Sonnet,

This is humongous site.

there are many people reading it.

When deceptive faith is spreading, it needs to be addressed.

Christianity is in a great confusion and a mess as a whole.

Your kind of faith is abundant and adding to more confusion.