Date of Christ's Crucifixion & Resurrection

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Crucifixion: March 28, 31 AD. Wednesday. late afternoon.

Resurrection: March 31, 31 AD. Saturday - early in the morning before sunrise.

Our Lord was was crucified on Friday, at around 3:00 PM ("about... the 9th hour" Lk. 23:44).

Unfortunately some will argue Our Lord was crucified on Wednesday citing Matthew 12:40:

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

They then extrapolate that for Him to be in the grave three full days and three nights:

First Night - Wednesday night
First Day - Thursday
Second Night - Thursday night
Second Day - Friday
Third Night - Friday night
Third Day - Saturday

They also claim that Jesus was resurrected after sunset Saturday—considered Sunday morning according to Jewish time keeping.

Using the idiomatic “three days and three nights” from Matthew 12:40 it is more correct to see it means three days, taken as entire days or a part of three separate days. See "a day and a night are an Onah [portion of time] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole part of it" (Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, Jerusalem Talmud: Shabbat 9:3), written around 100 A.D.

Our Lord’s being crucified on Friday now makes more sense.

Matthew 12:40 stands alone against the readings of Matthew 16:21; Matthew 27:64; Mark 9:31; Mark 10:34; Luke 9:22; Luke 24:7; Acts 10:40. Allowing the idiomatic phrase of Matthew 12:40 to override the clarity of all the other verses in Scripture is bad exegesis.

When we understand the idiom to mean any part of three days, it becomes clear from all the Scripture testimony that Our Lord was crucified on Friday, entombed before sundown, hence:

First Day - Friday
Second Day - Saturday
Third Day - Sunday

Matthew, Mark, and Luke all use Παρασκευή to refer to the day preceding the Sabbath (See: Matthew 27:62; Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54; see also Josephus, Ant. 16.6.2 §§163–64). The term therefore should be taken to refer to the day of preparation for the Sabbath (i.e., Friday). Accordiingly, then τοῦ πάσχα (tou pascha) means not “of the Passover,” but “of Passover week.” Indeed, “Passover” may refer to the day of the actual Passover meal or, as in the present case, the entire Passover week, including Passover day as well as the associated Feast of Unleavened Bread. “Day of Preparation of Passover week” is therefore best taken to refer to the day of preparation for the Sabbath (i.e., Friday) of Passover week. Thus, all four Gospels concur that Jesus’ last supper was a Passover meal eaten on Thursday evening (by Jewish reckoning, the onset of Friday).

As the other verses teach us, He was raised on the third day, Sunday.

Jesus' death occured in conjunction with the Passover as it was ordained to be. Our Lord is "the Lamb, slain from the foundation of the world." The Law of Moses is very clear, the sacrifice to be killed on the fourteenth at twilight, and the fourteenth is always the day of preparation for the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which always began on the Sabbath.

The impact of the Babylonian captivity on the Jewish calendar, the logistics of a massive national celebration concentrated in one city—both of these things contributed in the providence of God to what amounted to a "split" celebration—one by our reckoning Thursday evening or the "beginning" of Friday the fourteenth by the later Jewish reckoning, when Jesus and the disciples held their meal; the other by our reckoning on Friday evening or the "end" of Friday the fourteenth.

As interpreters have studied this event for centuries, the most consistent interpretation of the data as the majority have agreed is that Our Lord died on Friday. This explanation may not answer every single question, however it leaves the least amount of loose-ends and difficulties.

It also worth noticing that Our Lord pronounced that "his hour had arrived" in John 12:27. The phrase "heart of the earth" (Matthew 12:40) is pointing to the whole atonement experience which started Thursday in the garden. His "descent" (the suffering of an eternal equivalent of punishment for those given to Him being made possible by the union of His divine and human natures) really begins someplace before the six hours on the cross. Our Lord suffers during all His trial, including His scourging. And let’s not forget the garden, (Thursday night). The devil, hell's demons, and death all stalk Him until cluminating in the climax of the cross.

It is best to not think of this event (Jesus' suffering for our sins) in "blocks of time." Rather think of it as the cup of God's wrath being turned over, and the dribbling of the grapes of wrath turning into a flood until Our Lord—spirit and body—drains its dreggs, casts away the cup, and utters those words, "it is finished".

And His lifeless body remains (a portion) of three days under the power of death, until Our Lord demands it back. He is risen!

AMR

Last edited:

bybee

Our Lord was was crucified on Friday, at around 3:00 PM ("about... the 9th hour" Lk. 23:44).

Unfortunately some will argue Our Lord was crucified on Wednesday citing Matthew 12:40:

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

They then extrapolate that for Him to be in the grave three full days and three nights:

First Night - Wednesday night
First Day - Thursday
Second Night - Thursday night
Second Day - Friday
Third Night - Friday night
Third Day - Saturday

They also claim that Jesus was resurrected after sunset Saturday—considered Sunday morning according to Jewish time keeping.

Using the idiomatic “three days and three nights” from Matthew 12:40 it is more correct to see it means three days, taken as entire days or a part of three separate days. See "a day and a night are an Onah [portion of time] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole part of it" (Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, Jerusalem Talmud: Shabbat 9:3), written around 100 A.D.

Our Lord’s being crucified on Friday now makes more sense.

Matthew 12:40 stands alone against the readings of Matt 16:21; Matt 27:64; Mark 9:31; Mark 10:34; Luke 9:22; Luke 24:7; Acts 10:40. Allowing the idiomatic phrase of Matthew 12:40 to override the clarity of all the other verses in Scripture is bad exegesis.

When we understand the idiom to mean any part of three days, it becomes clear from all the Scripture testimony that Our Lord was crucified on Friday, entombed before sundown, hence:

First Day - Friday
Second Day - Saturday
Third Day - Sunday

As the other verses teach us, He was raised on the third day, Sunday.

Jesus' death occured in conjunction with the Passover as it was ordained to be. Our Lord is "the Lamb, slain from the foundation of the world." The Law of Moses is very clear, the sacrifice to be killed on the fourteenth at twilight, and the fourteenth is always the day of preparation for the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which always began on the Sabbath.

The impact of the Babylonian captivity on the Jewish calendar, the logistics of a massive national celebration concentrated in one city—both of these things contributed in the providence of God to what amounted to a "split" celebration—one by our reckoning Thursday evening or the "beginning" of Friday the fourteenth by the later Jewish reckoning, when Jesus and the disciples held their meal; the other by our reckoning on Friday evening or the "end" of Friday the fourteenth.

As interpreters have studied this event for centuries, the most consistent interpretation of the data as the majority have agreed is that Our Lord died on Friday. This explanation may not answer every single question, however it leaves the least amount of loose-ends and difficulties.

It also worth noticing that Our Lord pronounced that "his hour had arrived" in John 12:27. The phrase "heart of the earth" (Matthew 12:40) is pointing to the whole atonement experience which started Thursday in the garden. His "descent" (the suffering of an eternal equivalent of punishment for those given to Him being made possible by the union of His divine and human natures) really begins someplace before the six hours on the cross. Our Lord suffers during all His trial, including His scourging. And let’s not forget the garden, (Thursday night). The devil, hell's demons, and death all stalk Him until cluminating in the climax of the cross.

It is best to not think of this event (Jesus' suffering for our sins) in "blocks of time." Rather think of it as the cup of God's wrath being turned over, and the dribbling of the grapes of wrath turning into a flood until Our Lord—spirit and body—drains its dreggs, casts away the cup, and utters those words, "it is finished".

And His lifeless body remains (a portion) of three days under the power of death, until Our Lord demands it back. He is risen!

AMR

Thank you my dear Friend! I always learn from you!

OCTOBER23

------------------------------
I have been telling this for 8 yeaars and now finally someone believes me.

ps. IT IS ACTUALLY 3 1/2 DAYS LIKE THE 2 WITNESSES.

11 And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them,

and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

Ben Masada

IMHO, the day of the crucifixion of Jesus was Friday about 3 pm, not Wednesday. Regarding his resurrection, it never happened unless Jesus was not a Jewish man. As a Jew, it would have been a contradiction against the Tanach as we have in II Sam. 12:23; Isaiah 26:14; Job 7:9.

achduke

AMR

Matthew 12:40 is not the only reason to believe in a Wednesday crucifixion. There is also a problem with Mary and Mary waiting to buy spices after the Sabbath and then also going to the tomb to layout the spices. This can be explained if they wait until after the high Sabbath, then buy the spices and then arrive at the tomb after the weekly Sabbath.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

In the Bible, the season of light (Gen. i. 5), lasting "from dawn [lit. "the rising of the morning"] to the coming forth of the stars" (Neh. iv. 15, 17). The term "day" is used also to denote a period of twenty-four hours (Ex. xxi. 21).

In Jewish communal life part of a day is at times reckoned as one day; e.g., the day of the funeral, even when the latter takes place late in the afternoon, is counted as the first of the seven days of mourning; a short time in the morning of the seventh day is counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though of the first day only a few minutes remained after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day.

Again, a man who hears of a vow made by his wife or his daughter, and desires to cancel the vow, must do so on the same day on which he hears of it, as otherwise the protest has no effect; even if the hearing takes place a little time before night, the annulment must be done within that little time.

The day is reckoned from evening to evening—i.e., night and day—except in reference to sacrifices, where daytime and the night following constitute one day (Lev. vii. 15; see Calendar). "The day" denotes: (a) Day of the Lord; (b) the Day of Atonement; (c) the treatise of the Mishnah that contains the laws concerning the Day of Atonement (See Yoma and Sabbath).

(The Jewish Encyclopedia/ Day)​

Jesus didn't have a funeral on the day he died nor were there seven days of mourning.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
The exact time and date that Jesus died is about the ninth hour (Hebrew reckoning) on Wednesday, Nisan 14, 30 CE.

Nisan 15 was a Thursday in 30 CE.

(usno.navy.mil/astronomical applications> data services> Spring Phenomena 25 BCE to 38 CE)

I agree with that. The Jewish day started at sundown, sundown Wednesday would have been the beginning of Thursday. I don't understand why people question this in discussion groups. I don't think there's much disagreement among the best scholars.

Faither

BANNED
Banned
I use the word "winning" in the context of convincing Samie of what scripture says. You can't win him over to the truth.

I believe some people here are willing to consider truth, some aren't.

Samie is an aren't.

If there's some here that would consider truth, I'll take that. I've come with an easy or light message, but a hard truth for those that have never heard it before.

Any chance of directing me to those who are willing to learn and at the same time be willing to share there understandings?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

But not the weekly Sabbath since Nisan 15 is not always on the seventh day of the week.

achduke

If there's some here that would consider truth, I'll take that. I've come with an easy or light message, but a hard truth for those that have never heard it before.

Any chance of directing me to those who are willing to learn and at the same time be willing to share there understandings?
I am willing to understand. I seek the truth. If I error I will freely admit it. I do not come here to make strife but I come to understand. Some times I will agree. Sometimes I will not agree but seek to understand the other person.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I agree with that. The Jewish day started at sundown, sundown Wednesday would have been the beginning of Thursday.

True. The Greek epiphosko is used twice in the NT. The word means dawn, either in regard to a 12 hour or a 24 hour day.

Matthew 28:1 refers to the dawn of a 12 hour day whereas Luke 23:54 dawn refers to a 24 hour day.

The phrase "drew on" in the KJV or "drew near" in the NKJV is an obfuscation in an attempt to preserve the Friday crucifixion claim.

The RSV has a correct translation of epiphosko and so does the NET:

It was the day of Preparation, and the Sabbath was beginning. (Luke 23:54 RSV)​

It was the day of preparation and the Sabbath was beginning. (Luke 23:54 NET)​

Faither

BANNED
Banned
True. The Greek epiphosko is used twice in the NT. The word means dawn, either in regard to a 12 hour or a 24 hour day.

Matthew 28:1 refers to the dawn of a 12 hour day whereas Luke 23:54 dawn refers to a 24 hour day.

The phrase "drew on" in the KJV or "drew near" in the NKJV is an obfuscation in an attempt to preserve the Friday crucifixion claim.

The RSV has a correct translation of epiphosko and so does the NET:

It was the day of Preparation, and the Sabbath was beginning. (Luke 23:54 RSV)​

It was the day of preparation and the Sabbath was beginning. (Luke 23:54 NET)​

Just curious, you sound like were on the same page.

Have you ever looked at the feast days that were unfolding during Jesus death and resurrection? The teacher I learned a lot from said that year was the only year Christ could have died been buried and rise again without breaking a Jewish feast day. You know because the overlapping of the feast days would be different each year. He said it couldn't have happened that way for another 2500 years. He called it God just showing off. lol

Faither

BANNED
Banned
I am willing to understand. I seek the truth. If I error I will freely admit it. I do not come here to make strife but I come to understand. Some times I will agree. Sometimes I will not agree but seek to understand the other person.

I'm new here and don't know my way around yet. o I'm not sure how to direct you to a post I made called , " lets fact check "Faith" the verb." I'm not allowed at the adult table yet, lol. It's on the religion theology page . I would like to hear what you think of it, if you can find it.

Letsargue

He was buried in the tomb Wednesday at sundown.

In the tomb 3 days and 3 nights.

Rose again Saturday at sundown.

Fulfilled prophecy and didn't break any of the Jewish feast days.

The exact date is irrelevant , right?

If the exact date is important to you, it can't conflict with the four known facts above.

(( N-O!! // N-O-O!!!!! ))!! -- You ALL Can't See Anything that is written // Christ!!!!!!!!

((((( Matthew 24:22KJV !!!! ))))) -->> Christ was Buried ONLY "Two Nights and One Day", not Three Days and Three Nights; From Friday Night to Sunday Morning; -- READ The actual WORD Again, and Again!!!!!

((( Watch Your N-E-W-S!! )))!!!!!

PAUL, DAVID -- 022116

Faither

BANNED
Banned
(( N-O!! // N-O-O!!!!! ))!! -- You ALL Can't See Anything that is written // Christ!!!!!!!!

((((( Matthew 24:22KJV !!!! ))))) -->> Christ was Buried ONLY "Two Nights and One Day", not Three Days and Three Nights; From Friday Night to Sunday Morning; -- READ The actual WORD Again, and Again!!!!!

((( Watch Your N-E-W-S!! )))!!!!!

PAUL, DAVID -- 022116

That's a great post to argue about, probably should find another person to do that with though. Best to find someone else that has been self taught.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm new here and don't know my way around yet. o I'm not sure how to direct you to a post I made called , " lets fact check "Faith" the verb." I'm not allowed at the adult table yet, lol. It's on the religion theology page . I would like to hear what you think of it, if you can find it.

Here:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4631842#post4631842

For a recent post (the most recent 100 posts), just go to your View Public Profile page (click your username above your Avatar to see options), select the Statistics tab, then select Find all posts by... to locate the post to copy its link to paste elsewhere.

AMR

Faither

BANNED
Banned
Here:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4631842#post4631842

For a recent post (the most recent 100 posts), just go to your View Public Profile page (click your username above your Avatar to see options), select the Statistics tab, then select Find all posts by... to locate the post to copy its link to paste elsewhere.

AMR

Thanks Mr. Religion, and thanks for the links you forwarded to me earlier. I tried to message you , but my activities here are limited because of being new. I'm excited to hear some of your understandings. It takes some steel to call yourself Mr. Religion. I hope you don't disappoint.

For me , I can tell a lot by the gifted teacher they have, or maybe you are a gifted teacher. Am I out of line to ask this already?

Letsargue

That's a great post to argue about, probably should find another person to do that with though. Best to find someone else that has been self taught.

((((( Mark 16:9 KJV )))))!!!!!!!!

(( Watch Your N-E-W-S ))

PAUL, DAVID -- 022116

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Have you ever looked at the feast days that were unfolding during Jesus death and resurrection?

I'm glad you asked. The Torah required that the wave sheaf of the firstfruits be presented to God on the day after the weekly Sabbath.

He shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted on your behalf; on the day after the Sabbath the priest shall wave it. (Leviticus 23:11 NKJV)​

Jesus fulfilled the wave sheaf offering per the Law.