Cub Reporters 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How's your voice, Town?
People like it. Mid-ish bass/baritone, not as much accent as you'd expect.

Have you ever considered looking into radio? I bet a program by you could be very amazing..
I did radio when I was a teenager. It was a lot of fun.

(And before you possibly get offended - a lot of people have left their first college educated job for an entirely different pursuit - such as you for your writing, but even sticking to writing could contain a variation in transit, you see?)
Not offended at all. I've heard the comment. It's funny, but a guy at a check out asked me if I was on radio last week. I assumed radio was some sort of over the counter medication. :eek:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled.

The 5 solas

Yet this site is admittedly biased towards right wing Christianity. Why do you suppose that people who do not fall in that category receive less infractions than certain posters? :think:

I actually think that this site is biased not towards right wing Christianity in general, but totally biased towards Open Theists, Mid Acts Dispys and a particular clique which features the same. Of course, it is their forum, so they can do as they please...just wanted to give voice to the fact that it is not at all *right ring Christians* that they favour, from what I have seen. =)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You should also list the total number of reports each month.
And the total number of infractions each month.

So far, this month, 160 reports have been made.
And only 14 infractions given.

Goes to show that a great big whopping huge percentage of reports are just wasting the mod's time.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I actually think that this site is biased not towards right wing Christianity in general, but totally biased towards Open Theists, Mid Acts Dispys and a particular clique which features the same. Of course, it is their forum, so they can do as they please...just wanted to give voice to the fact that it is not at all *right ring Christians* that they favour, from what I have seen. =)

You are correct. The thing is, they are admittedly open about the bias. I would rather be on a forum that is honest about the bias rather than one who claims "nah, everyone is on the same level playing field".

We are not ... which is fine. It's just a matter of whether or not one enjoys TOL enough to keep a reign on their temper and let some things go.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You should also list the total number of reports each month.
And the total number of infractions each month.

So far, this month, 160 reports have been made.
And only 14 infractions given.

Goes to show that a great big whopping huge percentage of reports are just wasting the mod's time.
Not a bad idea. I thought most of the race, especially when you begin to realize that the majority of reports are coming from the same relatively small group, is a good argument for contextualizing the tendency. :)

Is there an easy way to get that total? I literally go over the reports and click to get the double dippers and associated reports. I don't always count people I know won't be in the race by the time I'm half way through. So I have a general idea of the overall number but no particular on hand.

The 5 solas

You are correct. The thing is, they are admittedly open about the bias. I would rather be on a forum that is honest about the bias rather than one who claims "nah, everyone is on the same level playing field".

We are not ... which is fine. It's just a matter of whether or not one enjoys TOL enough to keep a reign on their temper and let some things go.

Yes, I agree!

rainee

People like it. Mid-ish bass/baritone, not as much accent as you'd expect.

I did radio when I was a teenager. It was a lot of fun.

Not offended at all. I've heard the comment. It's funny, but a guy at a check out asked me if I was on radio last week. I assumed radio was some sort of over the counter medication. :eek:

And now, back to our regularly scheduled.

Well hey wait not so fast - what about looking into hooking up with Knight for a TOL 5 Minute Broadcast Station or something?
We could maybe pay 5 bucks to be able to go to it and you could see how it works? Maybe we could even do call ins...

I'm not surprised you have no Southern accent btw.

My mom, however, says hail for the bad place.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well hey wait not so fast - what about looking into hooking up with Knight for a TOL 5 Minute Broadcast Station or something? We could maybe pay 5 bucks to be able to go to it and you could see how it works? Maybe we could even do call ins...
Could be fun, but the way my days and time divide it isn't likely. I have thought of doing a youtube bit and linking, but same general. No real time for it.

I'm not surprised you have no Southern accent btw.
I wouldn't say no. I'm told I sound like a mid-westerner who has lived in the South for a while. I can drag the odd vowel, or eliminate it if I want to. I grew up with an ear for language and sound and would imitate my movie heroes. That and being from Florida, where the accent isn't, in different parts, very much its own animal.

My mom, however, says hail for the bad place.
:plain: what?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just for April through now, there have been 574 reports and only 87 infractions.

rainee

Could be fun, but the way my days and time divide it isn't likely. I have thought of doing a youtube bit and linking, but same general. No real time for it.

I wouldn't say no. I'm told I sound like a mid-westerner who has lived in the South for a while. I can drag the odd vowel, or eliminate it if I want to. I grew up with an ear for language and sound and would imitate my movie heroes. That and being from Florida, where the accent isn't, in different parts, very much its own animal.

I agree it would take a specific plan not too broad but rather narrow...
hmm.

I can't think on it right now but it's something to consider in the future. I saw one place where people were invited to call in to TOL years ago...

And as for being from Florida, it might keep you from a heavy Southern accent, and it's so true some people are good with accents and adopting different sounds, so that may be you!
But my guess is family - family keeps people talking a certain way.

I have a cousin who says, "See that big tire?"
She is really saying, "Tower, see the big tower."

:plain: what?

lol

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...And as for being from Florida, it might keep you from a heavy Southern accent,
It's a very different accent, depending on whether you're from the panhandle or different parts south. Louisiana has that in places.

and it's so true some people are good with accents and adopting different sounds, so that may be you!
I think it ties into music. I can annotate without an instrument. I hear pitches clearly and nuances stand out to me. My son has that gift. His mother will go sharp, as is often the case with people. When she does, even incrementally, he'll frown and say, "Mommy, no!" :)

But my guess is family - family keeps people talking a certain way.
And my folks are both Floridians. But I grew up imitating people whose voices interested me, Southern and else. I was cast as the narrator for Our Town because I could nail the New England accent they wanted. That sort of thing. In the morning my voice is very bass, but when I get excited or talk for long stretches it goes into the mid baritone range and gets a bit raspy. Makes it easy to do Clinton, who has that in his voice.

I have a cousin who says, "See that big tire?"
She is really saying, "Tower, see the big tower."
We were driving through the countryside one day when my wife said, "Look at that well!"

It sounded so much like whale I was genuinely confused for a moment. :)

rainee

You know something set up like Secret Order of the Smack, which I know nothing about and used to try to get into in order to spy them out :eek:, could possibly be a format you could use to setup your own TOL radio and give you the possible control and safety factor?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Cub Reporters Race Report :singer:

And, coming out of the turn into the home stretch it's a close one. Nang and Res are neck and neck (19) with Jerzy three lengths back (16) and closing, but CC isn't out of contention yet and is making a move (15) from the outside.

It's anyone's race to lose.

The trailing pack is trying to add interest, as glorydaze (12) still has a long shot at placing. Tracer and Angel aren't far behind (10) with Rusha and Nick M (8) likely out of the money seven lengths out of third.

Back at the starting gate, AB's horse appears to be rolling around in the grass along the track. :plain:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.