Cruel Parenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sozo

Re: Re: .

Originally posted by karstkid

I'm afraid a lot of this "bate and switch" garbage came from Bill Gothard and his Institute of Basic Life Principals. He teaches a lot of really bad stuff. When I was a young Christian in the early 1970's many of my IVCF and CCC friends encouraged me to spend the $45 bucks and attend the "Seminar". Well in a year's time that big red binder and it contents ended up in the circular file cabinet.

Bill Gothard opened my eyes to everything that is wrong with Christianity.

He is an evil, evil, man.

Shame on any church who takes their youth to his seminars!!

karstkid

Re: Re: Re: .

Re: Re: Re: .

Originally posted by Sozo
Bill Gothard opened my eyes to everything that is wrong with Christianity.
Yea, Gothard opened my eyes to how hard-hearted, cruel, and legalistic some Christians can be. Gothard is a cultist. He is into legalism and extreme authority teaching (shepherding). There is very little, if any, of God's grace in anything he teaches. He knows nothing about marriage and family. He didn't get married until his 60's. He is the one I first heard what Frugalmom is speaking about in post #1. His form of parenting is cruel. I hope you don't follow his lead with your family. A very resonsible and much better form of parenting would contained in the book "Parenting with Love and Logic" by Jim Fay and Foster Cline. The book is published by Navigators.

Shame on any church who takes their youth to his seminars!!
Absolutely! Shame on any church who takes their youth to his seminars. It would be as our Lord said, "leading these little ones astray."

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Though I'm not really suprised, I find it interesting that, in general, first reactions were negative towards this book, but once it was revealed that it is sold in Bob's store, suddenly the book is okay and it's frugalmom that's getting the negativity.

the Sibbie

I just read the first chapter of "To Train Up A Child" and this thread. I'd like to add a couple of comments.

First, I thought it was a little odd that the author used examples of training animals, but I understand that training a child would be a little different and probably more complex. For instance, we wouldn't train our kids how to stop and go. We'd train them how to obey our "No's". But with a child that's too young to understand words, finding some way to associate a negative consequence with one of there wrongdoings seems like a good alternative.

About the method of teaching a child not to play with a certain object, I don't understand how that's so wrong. Eventually, you will be spanking them for touching things you don't want them to touch, so what's the harm in teaching them how to respond to your "no". At a certain point they will be able to understand why you said "no" but until then all the can do is trust your judgement. if they are trained to recognize and obey the command, you'll probably have less spanking to do in the future.

Thirdly, the woman mentioned in the third paragraph, told her children,
"Go out in the sunroom to play, and don't bother Mama unless you need something."
The author mentions that he wasn't aware the children were there-
"except for when a little one came in holding herself saying, 'Pee-pee, Mama.' "
I wouldn't say the mother was ignoring the child's needs.

And about the knot on a child's head it says, "They [the children]....didn't expect any attention when one of the girls turned a rocking horse over and got a knot on her head."
  1. It doesn't say that mother totally ignored to see if the child was hurt.
  2. I've seen lots of kids get a bump or scrape and not make a big deal of it until someone else makes a big deal about it. The child will at first have a suprised look then, if you don't make a fuss about it, will shrug the pain off (most kids are pretty tough). But if you do run over to them after that surprised look and they notice that you are making a big deal about it, they usually start to cry. (If a child is severely hurt, you'll know.)
  3. I am not saying you should ignore your child's screams if they are severely hurt.

The instance of a baby arching it's back and letting out a scream when putting him to bed and the little Amish boy trying to throw himself from his father's lap, sounds like obvious spoiled behavior.

And nursing babies that bite, seem old enough to train not to bite. Especially since they look up at you when you howl out in pain or smack their leg. (I don't have any kids of my own yet, but I'm the oldest of 10 and have witnessed this many times. I wouldn't say disciplining your child for that is cruelty.)

Poly seemed to clarify the rest and made a good point about training your child not to climb the stairs, especially if one day you'd regret not training them if they fell down the stairs (Like when my dad forgot to put the gate up and I rolled down the stairs...then he punched a hole in the wall he was so mad at himself).

P.S. What I got from the first chapter is that it is better train your child to be submissive rather than beat your child into submission.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Lucky

Though I'm not really suprised, I find it interesting that, in general, first reactions were negative towards this book, but once it was revealed that it is sold in Bob's store, suddenly the book is okay and it's frugalmom that's getting the negativity.
Maybe because frugalmom did some mischaracturizing of the book? did you ever think of that?

Have you read the responses? (especially Poly's)

Isn't it possible that frugalmom's demonizing was a bit over the top?

That's just my take as I haven't read the book myself.

Frugalmom has every right to dislike the book and its contents but that doesn't mean she is 100% spot on target either.

I suspect that like with most books there are things in it that I might disagree with and other things that I would agree with.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Not fair.

I will admit that after hearing that Bob promoted the book I felt the need to check into it further. I thought I at least knew him well enough to know that he wouldn't endorse what I thought was being suggested by this book. But if I found out that he did, I had made up my mind that I was going to call the show and discuss it. I would not have hesitated in the least to let him know that I felt this kind of child rearing was wrong if the book really did advocate some of these extreme things that had been implied. I respect the man but he's not perfect. I do not blindly accept anything he has to say although it's clear that you think this is the case since you didn't bother to see how evident it was that this first chapter was taken out of context.

Last edited:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Calm down, don't get your potds in a twist. What I observed was nothing unusual. On something like this, we tend to side with the person we know better and/or consider to be more informed.

the Sibbie

Calm down, don't get your potds in a twist. What I observed was nothing unusual. On something like this, we tend to side with the person we know better and/or consider to be more informed.
It sounded like an insult to me. :rolleyes: Not much different than calling us "Enyartians and his cultist followers".

frugalmom

Night Elf
I'm answering Clete's post to me from the "Who is Bob Enyart" thread:

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer
You seem to have some big problem with setting up training sessions with your child as if it is just some excuse that parents like myself use to get to beat on our children or something.

I don't believe that a baby is old enough to understand those things. And I don't like the idea of setting up "training sessions" to punish a child when it fails.

It's not that at all. Life will train your child if you don't, which do you think will be the more loving and tender?

You keep saying child - the first chapter of the book I referred to talked about babies. How exactly will "life" train a baby who is with it's parents?

If you will set up situations in the safety of your own home where the child innately knows that it is loved and protected then not only will the child learn more quickly and completely but then you will not have to be attempting to teach your child a lesson while in the middle of the grocery store, which is embarrassing for you and much less effective for the child because I don't care how young they are, if they detect that they get their way at the grocery store because your too embarrassed to really do anything about it then you are going to LOVE buying groceries from now on!

How old of a child are you talking about? It sounds like you are getting off topic a bit and referring to an older child. I was talking about how the book recommended training babies.

Now, I happen to agree that this book does go a little far in some of the things they recommend, especially with of few of the things they do with toddlers.....

I wouldn't be surprised, considering how repulsive the first chapter was.

You might find it distasteful but I would wager that it is because you have read one too many parenting magazines and graduated from public school where anything Godly is belittled and shunned to the utmost.

:crackup: You have come to an extremely inaccurate idea of who I am. You must think I am some 17 or 18 yr old who just finished public school and doesn't have a clue. LOL - actually, I am probably as far away from the mainstream as you can get. What I mean is, I support:

-Breastfeeding
-Co-sleeping
-Responding to infant's cries and meeting babie's needs. For example, feeding on demand is crucial.
-Wearing baby in a sling
-Homeschooling
-Not vaccinating
- Homemade baby food making and cloth diapering is fine by me too. :D

How many parenting magazines do you think endorse these things? As far as school, I graduated from Christian school, a long time ago. I'm in my 30s now.

A hundred years ago, this book would not even have raised an eyebrow.

True. It was around 100 years ago when male doctors tried to change the way mothers had been parenting forever. It was then that they began introducing artificial feeding and feeding schedules. It was then that they began saying that a newborn or a baby could be spoiled. This idea ran prevalent, unfortunately, for decades. Now, however, the spoiling myth has been debunked time and time again. It's sad that they had to do studies for things that are common sense. Studies that showed things like how babies who have their needs met and are held alot and are loved, thrive and are so happy and secure. Studies that proved how detrimental it is to babie's health when it is left to cry. I have links on this info if you would like.

Last edited:

SOTK

:shut:

;)

SOTK

For what it's worth, I've read the first chapter and pretty much agree with Frugalmom. I disagree with the authors of this book (at least the first chapter) and don't care for their "theories" on toddler training at all. I'm not perfect, but I think I've been doing a pretty good job of raising my children without having had "trained" them with a switch when they were an infant or toddler.

I do certainly believe in spanking. I do it on occasion when appropriate. It can work pretty well. Like any form of discipline, if overused or abused, it will lose its effectiveness. I tend to mix up my disciplining. Keeps them guessing! :D

I think spanking should be used for discipline only. Not "training". If the authors want to compare animals to children, why do the majority of animal behaviorists say that a master should never spank their dog, for example? It's because the dog is easily confused and begins to associate the hand of its master as the enemy. In keeping with the whole animal comparison, which I find distasteful incidentally, wouldn't it be fair to assume that a child may grow confused at that age with his/her parent "training" by means of pain? Possibly grow resentful even? I don't know really know the answer, and I thank God that I don't.

In Christ,

SOTK

frugalmom

Night Elf
My reply to 1WAY from the other thread.

Originally posted by 1Way

Frugalmom

I agree with Clete. Where do we get the idea that children must understand their "training" ,,, that their "parents" gives them?

:doh: Common sense??

Understanding the reason for punishment is another thing altogether, but according to scripture, training up a child is nowhere taught that the child must have intellectual understanding of their parents "training" techniques.

Maybe that's why God didn't say "train up a baby."

Does a baby know that it does not need to be held and pandered to all the time?

Right. Shame on those babies for wanting to be held. :rolleyes:

A young baby thrives on being held and attended to. This is natural. And if you don't believe in what is natural, studies have proven it. As the baby grows and becomes mobile, it won't want to be held as much. A baby is not "self centered" as the book said. It's wants are it's needs. BTW What gives you the idea that they want to be held "all the time"? They are content sometimes in a swing or carrier, if mom needs to do something. Plus, they sleep alot when they are young. People act like they can't wait to have kids and then when they do, many of them treat their babies as if they are a nuisance. Like they have to try to train it to be detached. It's so unnatural and cruel.

It is precisely because of this lack of understanding and appropriateness that parents should instill self discipline in their babies.....

Sadly, 1WAY, you are one who wrongly thinks that babies can be spoiled, and that they are self-centered little brats who are trying to manipulate. A newborn, which the book was talking about, is not capable of trying to manipulate. It's wants are it's needs. Older child, different story. I have many links on this topic if you would like to read them. The "spoil that baby" myth that began around 1900 has been debunked time and time again.

Think of the double frustration of twins or the quadruple frustration of quadruplets if every child was the winner in this exact battle! If the children win at the earliest ages that their will dictates what happens simply by screaming loud enough, then the mother and the children will be miserable because it is not possible to pander after the constant whims of each child all the time. Same issue is at stake if there are 1 or 6 babies, love them all the same, one or 6, train self restraint.

Oh come on, 1WAY. That's grasping for straws. Simply put, you do the best you can do, no matter how many God blesses you with. If you do the best you can, there is no guilt involved. That's no excuse to treat a singleton cruelly, just because one in every however million has quadruplets or sextuplets.

And here is the clarification and is quite different from what you claimed they were promoting. They realize and promote that a baby's cry is the only voice to the outside world concerning authentic needs. That is NOT what this example of "counterproductive" crying is about. Instead, the child is being trained over the futility of simply acting selfish.

And once again, it was talking about a newborn, who are not capable of being spoiled. Common sense tells you this, and it tells the mother who hardens her heart and goes against her maternal instinct to let her child cry it out. The baby isn't being trained. The only one who is "trained" is the mother who trains herself to ignore her child's cry.

Bob Enyart is not a normal/frequent member of this forum, I very much doubt that a PM nor an email will reach him. You really should call him during, or right after, a show, as I hear it's the best way to reach him, unless you go to his church or are a family member. :) He's a very busy man.

Thanks, but I don't feel compelled to track down Bob Enyart.

frugalmom

Night Elf
Re: unfair review

Re: unfair review

Originally posted by Poly
In my mind I had the impression that the author was suggesting setting the child down, putting a wonderful object in front of the child, telling the child to reach for the object (frugalmom did not say this last part but was an assumption of mine).....

How could you conclude that, when I even said: "HA - I can just imagine someone being dumb enough to try this and then have the baby look at you as if it's thinking "What are you talking about?" "

The whole thing, well half of was, that they had examples of trying to explain things to small babies - who won't understand what they are saying.

I also thought that it was being suggested that the authors were saying never pick up a baby when it cries. But after reading it I see where it specifically says "Crying because of genuine physical need is the infant's only voice to the outside world, but crying in order to manipulate others into constant servitude should never be rewarded". And the example given in the book is "As a mother attempts to lower a child into the crib, he stiffens, takes a deep breath, and bellows." This sounds more like a child ticked off because he didn't get his way rather than a child who is crying because he's hungry or his diaper needs changed. I see nothing in there that suggested not feeding the child when it was hungry. In frugalmom's post she has this under "newborn training" which is kind of unfair since the author isn't giving a specific age here.

The book called it newborn training. And it specifically said that newborns would need training.

And I see nothing of the training of "feeding schedules" or "sleeping schedules" being taught.

Where did I say that??

As far as the child being switched for climbing the stairs (he also explains that the child had a fascination for stair climbing), if this child continued to climb the stairs only to fall and break her neck, how hard would the parents have been on themselves, looking back and thinking "if we would have only trained her, no matter what it took, to have nothing to do with these stairs." They make a good case for this.

The "child" you were referring to was a 5 month old. It is disgusting to use a switch on a 5 month old baby. They even said, that her little brain didn't seem to understand why she was being switched.

They make gates for stairs and that sort of thing. I wonder if they used switches on their 5 month old for going near electrical outlets? What about the stove? And toilets? Coffee table corners?

The part of this first chapter that I felt was very interesting is the author making note of our God doing this very thing when He put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in their view. He makes some great points with this example.

The book used these examples of setting up babies to fail, in order to "train" them. Did God know we would give in to temptation with the tree? And here I was thinking you were one of the ones against predestination. (sorry if I have you confused with another poster)

Last edited:

frugalmom

Night Elf

Great post and thread Frugalmom! :thumb: Yes, and I do see what you mean.

Hey karstkid! :wave:

I'm afraid a lot of this "bate and switch" garbage came from Bill Gothard and his Institute of Basic Life Principals. He teaches a lot of really bad stuff. When I was a young Christian in the early 1970's many of my IVCF and CCC friends encouraged me to spend the $45 bucks and attend the "Seminar". Well in a year's time that big red binder and it contents ended up in the circular file cabinet.

I don't believe I have heard of this Gothard character - and I'm glad I haven't from what you said.

Also, the host for "Family Life Today" Dennis Rainey and his wife Barbara were on a show talking about breast feeding. Barbara angered my wife to no end when she said nursing should occur on schedule and not on demand. How stupid and cruel. She suggested to let tiny babies cry for hours. :down: That's really bad.

That really angers me too about the schedule! :mad: That is so wrong!

I remember you saying that you and your wife supported breastfeeding in another thread. I think that is awesome! :cheers: to the karstkids!

Those are some of the same folks who make a rigid dress code for going to church, e.g., all women must wear dresses and all men must wear coat and tie for Sunday church service. (I dress down when I go to church!) A lot of that stems from the culture mores in some of the Southern States and from a misreading of the verse referring to Christians as being "ambassadors for Christ."

I was thinking something similar about the churches with the dress codes. When I hear about churches that promote cruelty, schedules and so forth, it reminds me of those rattlesnake churches I have seen on TV :devil: :chuckle:

frugalmom

Night Elf
Originally posted by SOTK

For what it's worth, I've read the first chapter and pretty much agree with Frugalmom. I disagree with the authors of this book (at least the first chapter) and don't care for their "theories" on toddler training at all. I'm not perfect, but I think I've been doing a pretty good job of raising my children without having had "trained" them with a switch when they were an infant or toddler.

:thumb: :SOTK:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by the Sibbie

It sounded like an insult to me. :rolleyes: Not much different than calling us "Enyartians and his cultist followers".
Isn't that "Enyartians and his neo-con, fascist cult followers"? ;)

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Zakath

Isn't that "Enyartians and his neo-con, fascist cult followers"? ;)
:ha: Oh yeah...:ha:...thanks for the correction, Zakath. :p

Btw, nice purple star! :thumb: Did you stop by the Purple Star Club?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Sibbie,

You're welcome. :chuckle:

Thanks, I stopped by long enough to join the conga line... :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.