Cruel Parenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTK

Sheesh....why don't they put a shock collar on the baby and train him/her to fetch! :rolleyes:

Some parents need to be shot! :Grizzly:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by frugalmom

I understand. Some people would rather keep doing things the wrong way instead of rationally thinking it over and making a better decision.

I was raised by people like that, and had a lousy, chaotic childhood as a result.

To all
Just curious -
Did anyone read the first chapter of that terrible book through the link in post 1?

I read it. I didn't like what I read, but I forced myself to finish it. The first thing that got to me was comparing training a child with training a dog. And, they kept that theme throughout the chapter. I had people like that telling me that I should train my daughter when she was a baby. Good thing I was stubborn enough to try things my own way.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When did I say women these days were insane? I don't recall saying that emphatically. I may have said that within a discussion that men and women display common culture practices that can, in general sense, be considered insane. ShadowMaid will have to remind me...

On to the book. I don't like some of those parenting techniques in chapter 1. The putting something in front of a child didn't set well.

But one doesn't need to get up in arms over the "knot on the head" incident. What someone might call a "knot on the head" is merely when part of the head is bumped. That's how I suspect this author meant it. Now, if it is a protruding lump, a bulge, a serious crack, or something that splits the skin, then that is another thing.

I think this book should have been called, "How fathers should train up a child".

Also, they really didn't separate sections between younger and older children enough.

I've summed up child training in 'the 5 steps of a good spanking' (and these come from other Christian experts, not myself)
1. Clear rules
2. Don't raise your voice
3. Don't use your hand
4. Don't hold back
5. Make sure the child knows what they did wrong, and that they are loved.

frugalmom

Night Elf
I just have one question:

Why the heck is Bob Enyart selling this cruel book??? He has it at the KGOV store and it comes with an audio tape by Bob titled "tyrant dad".

I had read enough just reading that first chapter, and then tonight I went to Amazon.com and read some of the reviews. I think I'm gonna be sick!!!!!!!!!! These people are nuts!!! You can read them here . I thought the first chapter was bad - but reading those reviews by people who had read the entire book made me furious!!

Now at first, I wasn't going to mention that Bob sells this book. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. I thought maybe he hadn't read the book, that maybe someone else recommended it to him but he didn't read it. Then I went back to his store and noticed he has an audio tape with it, and I thought he MUST have read it.

The sad thing is, these people are claiming to use the Bible. :madmad: Yes, the Bible says train up a child, but it doesn't mean to abuse a baby!!!!!! BIG difference in a baby who cannot comprehend or understand, and an older child who does. A baby should NEVER be whipped.

frugalmom

Night Elf
Originally posted by Yorzhik
But one doesn't need to get up in arms over the "knot on the head" incident. What someone might call a "knot on the head" is merely when part of the head is bumped. That's how I suspect this author meant it. Now, if it is a protruding lump, a bulge, a serious crack, or something that splits the skin, then that is another thing.

The first chapter gave the example of a rocking horse falling over on a toddler and making a knot on it's head, then bragged that the child didn't go to mother with it. One of the reviewers said the book says to ignore an infant who falls to the floor and ignore skinned knees.

The baby/child should not be afraid to go to their parents when they get hurt. That's part of parenting.

I think this book should have been called, "How fathers should train up a child".

Why? Should fathers be using switches on their babies? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

frugalmom

Night Elf
Originally posted by SOTK

Sheesh....why don't they put a shock collar on the baby and train him/her to fetch! :rolleyes:

No kidding. It angered me the way they constantly compared children to dogs, horses and rats.

frugalmom

Night Elf
From reading many, many reviews by people who have read the entire book, the Perls reportedly describe in their book some very disgusting forms of abuse. Here are just a few examples, that people who read the whole thing said were included:

-Mrs Perl whipping a 15 month old 10 times for not obeying her command to play with a toy

-recommends a swift forceful spanking for a toddler having a tantrum until they stop screaming from the torture and it turns into a wounded, submissive wimper.....also reportedly says not to hesitate to sit on the child if you need to in order to spank

-recommends tripping a non swimming toddler into deep water

-recommends hitting an infant for screaming, for not being able to sleep, and for crying for it's mother

-says ALL babies should be whipped into complete submission for every transgression

Wow :cry: I thought the first chapter was bad. :madmad: This is child abuse. These kind of books shouldn't even be in print. Shame on them for trying to use the Bible as endorsement for abuse.

frugalmom

Night Elf
Originally posted by ebenz47037

I read it. I didn't like what I read, but I forced myself to finish it. The first thing that got to me was comparing training a child with training a dog. And, they kept that theme throughout the chapter. I had people like that telling me that I should train my daughter when she was a baby. Good thing I was stubborn enough to try things my own way.

I didn't like those comparisons either. Just from reading that first chapter, they were comparing children and babies to dogs, horses, rats and even terrorists. :mad:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wow frugalmom, you've really gone off the deep end. Where did this come from?
Why? Should fathers be using switches on their babies?
No, frugalmom, it's because the book seems to be written from a man's perspective. I don't endorse either fathers or mothers spanking infants.

---------------------------

As to the toddler getting hurt thing. You're putting the worst construction on everything, frugalmom!

Here is an example from just the last day. My 2 toddlers were running together. One changed direction and they crashed. Since I was the only parent present at the time. They both looked at me, and I looked at them to see if they were really hurt. But they weren't hurt and both got up and started playing again. One child ended up with a pink chin.

Contrast this with this morning. a child was in their tiny chair eating breakfast. Then he decided to lean forward on the chair and it went out from under him. He fell squarely on his grumpa-dumpa. But mom was there so he cried out as if he'd just broken his leg and ran to mom.

I'm sure what the authors were talking about was similar to the first example. The child wasn't hurt at all. "Knot on the head" does not necessarily mean a protruding bump! Got it? They were not addressing a child going to their parents for comfort, the author was addressing the child's character! Sheesh.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
After reading the reviews on Amazon, is there ANYTHING besides infant wipping that is wrong with this book?

ShadowMaid

Originally posted by Yorzhik

When did I say women these days were insane? I don't recall saying that emphatically. I may have said that within a discussion that men and women display common culture practices that can, in general sense, be considered insane. ShadowMaid will have to remind me...

I didn't mean literally insane. And no, it wasn't brought up because you were talking about women and men. You were just telling us how women are in our world today because you talked with a woman once, and her reasoning was completely off. So you said "insane". You didn't mean it literally. :)

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But I wouldn't make a blanket statement that women are insane from talking with "1 woman"

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay, I read more reviews at Amazon. First, it is interesting that there were only 2 reviews from well over 100 that gave the book 2 or 3 stars. Everyone either LOVED it or HATED it. That usually indicates something, but I won't get into that at this time.

Second, after reading more reviews, I have to say that I don't agree with throwing a child in water that doesn't know how to swim. I've only read it from the reviews, and I'd like to read it in context before passing my personal final judgement.

frugalmom

Night Elf
A couple more things I noticed from reading the first chapter:

1. The Perls described how they used a 12 inch long, 1/8 inch diameter switch on their 5 month old daughter's bare legs to try to stop her from climbing stairs. They even admitted that her young brain didn't seem to understand the association.

2. The story about the Amish guy with the 12 month old. The baby wanted to get down from his lap and he spanked it 15 times in 45 minutes for trying to get down or for turning toward it's mother. The Perls said he had realized the importance of this from training horses and mules. :rolleyes: Anyone with a clue would know that the baby obviously didn't understand why it was being spanked. :kookoo:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
unfair review

unfair review

I just read the first chapter. I have to say that I have a different take on it than when I read frugalmom's first post and am a little disappointed that it now seems to have been taken a little to the extreme. In my mind I had the impression that the author was suggesting setting the child down, putting a wonderful object in front of the child, telling the child to reach for the object (frugalmom did not say this last part but was an assumption of mine) and then swatting the child for doing so. Placing a child in a room where there may be some things that the child is interested in seems very different then the first scenerio I described. Besides that, anybody who has had children knows that all you have to do is pretty much set the child down and everything looks desirable. And once that child starts reaching for them, I don't see how saying no first and then swatting them after that if they do it again, is so extreme.

I also thought that it was being suggested that the authors were saying never pick up a baby when it cries. But after reading it I see where it specifically says "Crying because of genuine physical need is the infant's only voice to the outside world, but crying in order to manipulate others into constant servitude should never be rewarded". And the example given in the book is "As a mother attempts to lower a child into the crib, he stiffens, takes a deep breath, and bellows." This sounds more like a child ticked off because he didn't get his way rather than a child who is crying because he's hungry or his diaper needs changed. I see nothing in there that suggested not feeding the child when it was hungry. In frugalmom's post she has this under "newborn training" which is kind of unfair since the author isn't giving a specific age here. But a child that bows back and screems before the mom can even put him in the crib sounds older than "newborn" to me. And I see nothing of the training of "feeding schedules" or "sleeping schedules" being taught.

The author also speaks of excessive discipline and gives the example of the father who was very strict but his strict ways were always shown in public. The author said he always seemed to wonder "If he's this strict, why doesn't he take care of these problems at home?". If the training were to start at home then this severe discipline wouldn't have to take place in public. I know far too well, too many families that were this way in the church I grew up in. It's as if they saved their severe discipline for the public to see so that they would be known as "good" parents.

As far as the child being switched for climbing the stairs (he also explains that the child had a fascination for stair climbing), if this child continued to climb the stairs only to fall and break her neck, how hard would the parents have been on themselves, looking back and thinking "if we would have only trained her, no matter what it took, to have nothing to do with these stairs." They make a good case for this.

The part of this first chapter that I felt was very interesting is the author making note of our God doing this very thing when He put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in their view. He makes some great points with this example.

I must be honest and say that I should have read this before replying, in an earlier post, to these comments that I feel were somewhat out of context.

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey, I'm a subscriber... why can I not delete posts?

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Poly's post is a jewel on this topic. In fact, I'm making it POTD!

Last edited:

karstkid

Re: .

Re: .

Originally posted by frugalmom
...These people advocated having training sessions by putting desirable objects in the child's reach for the purpose of using a switch on the baby's hand (if they don't respond to no) to try and teach it not to touch desirable objects.

They also talked about having training sessions in order to train a baby to come when called, which would end up in swatting the baby with a switch if the baby didn't listen. This would be done by putting a child alone in a room with a desirable toy - again - another cruel method for the sole purpose of setting the child up to fail to administer training. The first few times, if the baby didn't come on demand, the father would go over and give the 10 or 12 month old an "explanation" of what is expected of him. HA - I can just imagine someone being dumb enough to try this and then have the baby look at you as if it's thinking "What are you talking about?" Many babies aren't even walking yet at that age. The book called this "booty camp" - although the example they gave was for 10 - 12 month olds. ("Toddlers" the book called them)

I'm not saying I'm against discipline, but a baby who doesn't understand, and an older toddler or child who is trying to manipulate their parents and misbehave are very different situations. A young baby just wants it's needs met and is not capable of trying to manipulate anyone.

OK this is the year 2004 for crying out loud. Surely by the time the 90's came around, the "spoil that baby" myth was debunked. I thought almost everyone knew by now that you can't spoil a baby by meeting it's needs and loving it! A newborn's wants are it's needs, yet this book warns against the mother picking up the crying child from the crib and encourages letting the newborn cry.

Children are precious gifts from the Lord and should not be treated like animals, or worse. A mother has to go against her motherly instinct to and harden her heart to ignore a crying baby.

Another thing is, a newborn's stomach is the size of a cherry. They need to be fed every 2 or 3 hours. Some people don't want to have to deal with their children and don't feed them on demand. That is so cruel. And the sad thing is, there are books out there encouraging people to treat their children this way. Some of the authors claim to be Christians - yet I know God doesn't want us to neglect our children. It's so sad to read the stories of babies getting dehydrated, and failing to thrive and gain weight, because the parent's read some bogus book by someone claiming to be an expert and a Christian. Do a search for Ezzo's babywise if you aren't familiar and you will see what I mean.

Great post and thread Frugalmom! :thumb: Yes, and I do see what you mean.

I'm afraid a lot of this "bate and switch" garbage came from Bill Gothard and his Institute of Basic Life Principals. He teaches a lot of really bad stuff. When I was a young Christian in the early 1970's many of my IVCF and CCC friends encouraged me to spend the $45 bucks and attend the "Seminar". Well in a year's time that big red binder and it contents ended up in the circular file cabinet.

Also, the host for "Family Life Today" Dennis Rainey and his wife Barbara were on a show talking about breast feeding. Barbara angered my wife to no end when she said nursing should occur on schedule and not on demand. How stupid and cruel. She suggested to let tiny babies cry for hours. :down: That's really bad.

Those are some of the same folks who make a rigid dress code for going to church, e.g., all women must wear dresses and all men must wear coat and tie for Sunday church service. (I dress down when I go to church!) A lot of that stems from the culture mores in some of the Southern States and from a misreading of the verse referring to Christians as being "ambassadors for Christ." Churches like Vineyard's and Calvary Chapel's would laugh at such dress codes. In fact Calvary Chapel started out with born again hippie Christians (Jesus Freaks) attending Chuck Smith's church. Obviously these Christians never read from the book of James.

Status
Not open for further replies.