Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have several translations of the Bible. Many more are available on-line. I have Bible commentaries. I studied the Bible, and taught Bible classes for years. I have read it carefully cover to cover. So don’t get too excited about thinking you are going to show me things in the Bible I haven’t seen before.

My atheism is the result of a brutally honest introspection after years as an active Christian. I realized more than 2 decades ago that one of the biggest lies in my life was my pretending that I really believed the Bible account. Had I died 30 years ago, and found God to be real, I would have been condemned for my hypocrisy. Now I haven’t an ounce of fear of standing before a God I didn't think existed. If he damns me to hell, it will be for being far more truthful than I ever was as a Christian.

As I expressed in my first post to you, I do not know why you maintain such an aberrant view about religion. As long as your extremism is limited to frequent threats against atheists on the internet, then I view you as a pretty harmless fanatic. I just hope you don’t take the next step and become the next newspaper headline about a religious psychopath who decided to kill himself and a bunch of others.

Unlike many others here, I read your book before ever conversing with you. And as far as you are concerned, one reason your angelic visitations have been sparse lately is because I met your angel and beat the stuffing out of him a while back. He apologized for leading you on like he has.

If you have something credible to say about a scientific subject, bring it on. But as to religion, I prefer the fiction of Tolkien to that of Enoch and Samuel.

Dear B.J.

You are the one with the real problem, so good luck!!

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have several translations of the Bible. Many more are available on-line. I have Bible commentaries. I studied the Bible, and taught Bible classes for years. I have read it carefully cover to cover. So don’t get too excited about thinking you are going to show me things in the Bible I haven’t seen before.

My atheism is the result of a brutally honest introspection after years as an active Christian. I realized more than 2 decades ago that one of the biggest lies in my life was my pretending that I really believed the Bible account. Had I died 30 years ago, and found God to be real, I would have been condemned for my hypocrisy. Now I haven’t an ounce of fear of standing before a God I didn't think existed. If he damns me to hell, it will be for being far more truthful than I ever was as a Christian.

As I expressed in my first post to you, I do not know why you maintain such an aberrant view about religion. As long as your extremism is limited to frequent threats against atheists on the internet, then I view you as a pretty harmless fanatic. I just hope you don’t take the next step and become the next newspaper headline about a religious psychopath who decided to kill himself and a bunch of others.

Unlike many others here, I read your book before ever conversing with you. And as far as you are concerned, one reason your angelic visitations have been sparse lately is because I met your angel and beat the stuffing out of him a while back. He apologized for leading you on like he has.

If you have something credible to say about a scientific subject, bring it on. But as to religion, I prefer the fiction of Tolkien to that of Enoch and Samuel.

Dear BJ,

You would hardly be able to beat the stuffing out of my angel. God takes note of that also. If you want to talk about some scientific stuff, remember, cow manure will produce enough heat to make some good compost, of which you like to spread around.

Michael

DavisBJ

You're incorrect, BJ, I started this thread on the basis of Creation vs. Evolution, not so much science … angels who specialize in gourmet cooking … I guess my friendship with Alwight wasn't based on a good foundation … And perhaps Alwight will come back once you leave, B.J. … You have taken precious things from me, so let them be taken from you … As it is, I am done with you …
No science in this post, so with the exception of the choice tidbits I kept in the quote above, the rest goes in my ignore pile.
… angels who specialize in gourmet cooking …
Yeah, I saw a couple of them making great tacos at Taco Bell. Give them my complements.
… I guess my friendship with Alwight wasn't based on a good foundation …
I would agree that Alwight has been more tolerant of your weirdness than I probably would have been, but I haven’t noticed any significant change in his responses to you. Are you projecting your antagonism towards me onto him?
And perhaps Alwight will come back once you leave, B.J. …
My involvement at TOL, both as an active poster as an interested observer goes back over ten times as long as you have been here, and over twice a long as Alwight’s history here. I just might still be here when your grandkids are holding their grandkids on their laps.
You have taken precious things from me, so let them be taken from you …
Sorry, I didn’t realize your fantasies were that precious to you. But alas, I have few fantasies to be stripped of. If I give you a dollar and ten cents, would that even things up?
As it is, I am done with you …
Do you promise, really? But, I recall how many times you have made that promise to others in this thread, only to violate it within a few hours.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear BJ,

It is written in Leviticus 19:17,18: "Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart. You shall rebuke your neighbor and not suffer sin upon him. You shall not avenge or bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord. So this I do because you don't know what you are doing and God wants me to forgive you, so I have done my best!

Many Blessings Upon You,

Michael

DavisBJ

Dear BJ,

It is written in Leviticus 19:17,18: "Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart. You shall rebuke your neighbor and not suffer sin upon him. You shall not avenge or bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord. So this I do because you don't know what you are doing and God wants me to forgive you, so I have done my best!

Many Blessings Upon You,

Michael
I don’t hate you, but I do pity you. I can’t imagine what it must really be like living in a world where hallucinations and reality are merged.

As to your use of scripture, I made it clear before that writings based on the religious traditions of scientifically illiterate nomads are not things I give much credence to.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear BJ,

No, I still do not believe in evolution, despite stromatolites or ring species, etc. I believe that God does it ALL as a running clock that the gears of heaven keep spinning, like a great machine, all working together, every minute thing down to changing genomes, atoms, neutrons, protons, electrons, and nuclei. And I am sure that God could split atoms before us. Give me a break. Everyone wants to leave God out of the picture, especially atheists. But many scientists are not atheists and believe in a Higher Power or Divine Being. It is God, no matter what you call Him. He is the Great Chemist!! Who could make all that is made except Him. There is no way this all came to be by Evolution. Give me a break. Some people are just blind and want to not believe in a Creator, so they can do whatever sin they want and not have to repent or change. That is it in a nutshell. They would rather die or go to hell, rather than change a certain aspect about themselves. It's really a shame.

Oh well, I'm outta here.

Michael

DavisBJ

Dear BJ,

No, I still do not believe in evolution, despite stromatolites or ring species, etc. I believe that God does it ALL as a running clock that the gears of heaven keep spinning, like a great machine, all working together, every minute thing down to changing genomes, atoms, neutrons, protons, electrons, and nuclei. And I am sure that God could split atoms before us. Give me a break. Everyone wants to leave God out of the picture, especially atheists. But many scientists are not atheists and believe in a Higher Power or Divine Being. It is God, no matter what you call Him. He is the Great Chemist!! Who could make all that is made except Him. There is no way this all came to be by Evolution. Give me a break. Some people are just blind and want to not believe in a Creator, so they can do whatever sin they want and not have to repent or change. That is it in a nutshell. They would rather die or go to hell, rather than change a certain aspect about themselves. It's really a shame.

Oh well, I'm outta here.

Michael
Lots of “I believe”, “I believe”, “I believe”, but not one iota of science. Into the ignore bin.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don’t hate you, but I do pity you. I can’t imagine what it must really be like living in a world where hallucinations and reality are merged.

I'm glad you don't hate me, and I don't need your pity. Imagine instead what it must really be like living in a world where reality and reality are merged, with no hallucinations happening. Then you will have discovered My Life. Wow, are you going to be surprised when Jesus Returns, and it is extremely soon!!

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Lots of “I believe”, “I believe”, “I believe”, but not one iota of science. Into the ignore bin.

Dear BJ,

More than one iota of science. I think you would rather just like to ponder the 'I believe,' instead.

Still Forgive You,

Michael

:carryon:

:doh:

alwight

Dear BJ,

Oh well, I'm outta here.

Michael
Hi Michael,
I have always known that your religious beliefs are extremely important to you, I've not really even tried to dissuade you away from them since you seem fairly defenceless to harsher reality to me.

It seems to me that both BJ and I simply don't have any desire not to believe in your "Creator" and I can assure you it's nothing to do with wanting to commit "sin".
Should your "Creator" exist then what we both expect is that there would be some actual evidence of that, not just somebody such as you making some, after all, pretty extraordinary claims.

Don't feel bad about it Michael but that's just how it is, if God sends us angels too then perhaps that could all change, but personally I think that your cooking skills are down to you not angels.;)

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi Michael,
I have always known that your religious beliefs are extremely important to you, I've not really even tried to dissuade you away from them since you seem fairly defenseless to harsher reality to me.

You don't have to believe me Al. Just remember it later when you need some answers in the future. I was very upset because I thought I lost you as a friend. That just isn't fair. I try to post to you at least 2 or 3 times a week, or more. So having that taken away from me is pretty hard. Don't you think so?? It's awful!!

It seems to me that both BJ and I simply don't have any desire not to believe in your "Creator" and I can assure you it's nothing to do with wanting to commit "sin".
Should your "Creator" exist then what we both expect is that there would be some actual evidence of that, not just somebody such as you making some, after all, pretty extraordinary claims.

You and BJ do not need to believe in my God/Creator. I can believe in Creation and you can believe in Evolution. Just don't cut me off like that. You don't have to both believe my experiences. How could you ever know they'd be true. The is highly improbable, if not impossible for you both. The only way people will believe me is to see what comes to pass in a short time here. That's all I'm asking. But I'm not asking to lose a friend.

Don't feel bad about it Michael but that's just how it is, if God sends us angels too then perhaps that could all change, but personally I think that your cooking skills are down to you not angels.;)

I'm sure if God would send you angels, you would believe too. But if He sent everyone an angel, then we'd all know the facts, and everyone would have the same reward. He does it this way because only about 1/3 of the people on earth have their minds able and wise enough and hearts strong enough, and their spirit and love of God strong, for them to be taken this time. God isn't going to take those whose minds are not yet capable of understanding this. It's a lot more intricate than I've even touched upon in a post to you. I would have to write a book.

As far as my cooking, you don't understand, and that's okay. Really good to chat with you!!

Best Wishes To You And BJ,

Cheerio!!

Michael

:sam:

:doh:

DavisBJ

May my lips be purified to speak the truth.
This is reaching back over 6 months, but the quote I show above is from post 1660, and is the last of a very long exchange between (mostly) noguru and untellectual. It is preceded by hundreds of posts between them (starting just before post 1300) dealing with philosophical minutiae. One or two clearly stated questions would have focused the exchange on clear specific examples of the apparent conflict between the Bible and modern science, and probably substantially shortened this thread (and I am sad to say, eliminated a lot of noguru’s gratuitous personal snipes against untellectual). I may not agree with untellectual’s ideas about theology, but I do respect him for being consistently courteous in his responses, and pretty consistent in his answers.

noguru

This is reaching back over 6 months, but the quote I show above is from post 1660, and is the last of a very long exchange between (mostly) noguru and untellectual. It is preceded by hundreds of posts between them (starting just before post 1300) dealing with philosophical minutiae. One or two clearly stated questions would have focused the exchange on clear specific examples of the apparent conflict between the Bible and modern science, and probably substantially shortened this thread (and I am sad to say, eliminated a lot of noguru’s gratuitous personal snipes against untellectual). I may not agree with untellectual’s ideas about theology, but I do respect him for being consistently courteous in his responses, and pretty consistent in his answers.

I do not see "personal snipes" as a negative necessarily, because all of us are using our understanding to determine "truth". And I do agree with this quote from Untellectual. Because I pray for the same thing, only I call it "understanding". My point regarding Untellectuals stance is that if humans are just parroting what the Bible says and do not sincerely understand it's application to reality. Then they are doing themselves and all others a disservice, and the argument that they have "truth" is self-defeating. Because they do not really "have truth" if they are parroting something they were taught which cannot be accurately applied to reality. I am sorry you think such a valid criticism is a "personal snipe". I do not see it as such. I see the statement that "I have God's truth, though I am personally incapable of clearly understanding its application to reality." as a copout, and a bit cowardly.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If truth is that which corresponds to reality, philosophically, then we have that truth can be known and expressed.

If truth is the word of God (the word of truth) then we have that not all believe the truth (of God).

If we know some things are true but we are not sure about the truthfulness of everything we have heard about, then we would be well advised to investigate what we don't know (if necessary) while sticking to sharing that which we know is true with others.

This means the gospel, and the truth of God as Creator of His creation, are for us to observe and share with others. It does not give a license for gossip, etc....

noguru

If truth is that which corresponds to reality, philosophically, then we have that truth can be known and expressed.

If truth is the word of God (the word of truth) then we have that not all believe the truth (of God).

If we know some things are true but we are not sure about the truthfulness of everything we have heard about, then we would be well advised to investigate what we don't know (if necessary) while sticking to sharing that which we know is true with others.

This means the gospel, and the truth of God as Creator of His creation, are for us to observe and share with others. It does not give a license for gossip, etc....

I agree 100% with this. But this does not mean that we have to be ignorant of physical/philosophical (it should be noted that theology is also a type of philosophy) reality to accept the Word of God and the Gospel. This is my only issue with so many who seem to pit what they label as "man's knowledge" against "God's knowledge/the Holy Spirit". In many cases these labels are just a way for them to remain ignorant of carnal understanding. Spiritual understanding surpasses carnal understanding, it is not the absence of carnal understanding.

I am not concened with gossip. No person who is sincerely concerned with accurrate and honest understanding is worried about what other people might say about them. Gossip is just people stretching their claws sometimes. And of course some people mistake honest and sincere critcism as "gossip" because they are overly defensive.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I agree 100% with this. But this does not mean that we have to be ignorant of reality to accept the Word of God and the Gospel. This is my only issue with so many who seem to pit what they label as "man's knowledge" against "God's knowledge/the Holy Spirit". In many cases these labels are just a way for them to remain ignorant of carnal understanding. Spiritual understanding surpasses carnal understanding, it is not the absence of carnal understanding.

I am not concened with gossip. No person who is sincerely concerned with accurrate and honest understanding is worried about what other people might say about them. Gossip is just people stretching their claws sometimes. And of course some people mistake honest and sincere critcism as "gossip" because they are overly defensive.
I am merely expressing that there is a case, gossip, in which a person doesn't necessarily need to feel compelled to share what they know or believe to be truth.

I believe it is important also to separate or differentiate the difference between the truth of God or knowledge of God and that of man. I think you know there is a difference (it is not wrong to point out that there is a difference) though people may express what they know this difference to be... differently.

I believe the Bible is the word of God. I believe it is possible to share God's truth with others, and that if a person knows the truth of God they should feel compelled to share it.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Untellectual and Michael

Untellectual and Michael

Dear Untellectual,

Thank you for the meaningful post. You're completely right about it all. I try to do my best. Excellent!!

Much Love From God and Me,

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I agree 100% with this. But this does not mean that we have to be ignorant of physical/philosophical (it should be noted that theology is also a type of philosophy) reality to accept the Word of God and the Gospel. This is my only issue with so many who seem to pit what they label as "man's knowledge" against "God's knowledge/the Holy Spirit". In many cases these labels are just a way for them to remain ignorant of carnal understanding. Spiritual understanding surpasses carnal understanding, it is not the absence of carnal understanding.

I am not concerned with gossip. No person who is sincerely concerned with accurate and honest understanding is worried about what other people might say about them. Gossip is just people stretching their claws sometimes. And of course some people mistake honest and sincere criticism as "gossip" because they are overly defensive.

Dear noguru,

Thanks so much for the support and your post. I have given you and Untellectual some good rep pts. for your Posts. You don't know how nice it is to read your words. I try to speak only what God has told me. Even though so many people are gay and can't seem to help it right now, they should strive to change or remain sexless. But I would help a brother who was gay in an instant easily. But God does say, 'Do none of these things, for I destroyed nations in the past for doing these things.' I don't quite know where it is located in the Scriptures, but I did read it.

God Reside In Your Soul,

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.