Coronavirus, Donald Trump and Medicare for All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
polls are no more than meaningless sets of random numbers.

You said that there are "increasing calls to cut federal spending."

The only reliable evidence that we could have about what people generally think about anything is polling.

The polls clearly show that what you said is wrong.

There are not "increasing calls to cut federal spending."

Boomers who watch Fox News want to cut federal spending.

Most people don't, though.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You said that there are "increasing calls to cut federal spending."

The only reliable evidence that we could have about what people generally think about anything is polling.

The polls clearly show that what you said is wrong.

There are not "increasing calls to cut federal spending."

Boomers who watch Fox News want to cut federal spending.

Most people don't, though.

why insist on polls? I disagree they provide accurate information. Polls are voluntary responses and that alone makes them biased, if only a certain personal temperament responses to polls, which I believe true. I will agree with you boomers are silly to want to reduce the debt. What about all my bonds earning more and more money as the interest rate plunges. It is too good to lose. and I am not a boomer.:crackup:

On the other hand, look at what happens when the government spends in deficit:
Now it is the private sector that gets the surplus! In this scenario, the government has collected no taxes, but spent $100 on goods and services produced by the private sector. This creates enough income for the private sector for them to actually save money rather than go into debt.

What the above means is this: government deficits create private sector wealth, while government surpluses drain it. There is no trickery here. When the federal government spends in deficit, it does so by putting financial assets, usually in the form of Treasury bills, in the hands of the public; when it spends in surplus, the net quantity of Treasury bills held by the public declines. Thus, federal government deficits not only create the extra demand necessary when the economy is at less than full employment

pretty cool. see Forbes https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntha.../#2460939b570a

are you investing? better start soon!:BRAVO:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Then upon what are you basing your opinion that cutting federal spending is popular?

Oh, no, I'm not. :red:Glad you asked me that straight out. I do not think cutting federal spending is popular with people, I'm saying I am in high favor of it. I am against taxes and government spending on all but foreign relations and to minimize that by a protectionist polity of isolationism.
:listen: You do realise you do not get to be the only way-out kookoo here? I advocate market-based solutions to all social needs! I believe that compulsory taxation is a violation of individual liberty, and that law enforcement, courts, and all security services should be provided by voluntarily-funded competitors, such as private tea party armies and such and such.

Maybe not that extreme, but I do have much more affinity for liberty than I do equality. I do believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of property, not pursuit of happiness.:jessilu:

So have to earned a graduate degree, like me yet?:idunno:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/202.../coro-m05.html

"
Questions are also being raised as to whether a vaccine will reduce the impact of the disease, especially if it is not distributed freely. Asked at a congressional hearing last week to guarantee that once a vaccine against the virus is developed it will be available to all, US Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, a former pharmaceutical executive, refused. 'We would want to ensure that we worked to make it affordable,' he said, 'but we can’t control that price because we need the private sector to invest. Price controls won’t get us there.'"

Capitalism, everybody.

Ah well. I hope you boomers have good insurance.

:cheers:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Health Secretary Alex Azar Refuses To Guarantee Coronavirus Vaccine Would Be Affordable For All

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar has angered Democrats after suggesting that a coronavirus vaccine might not be affordable for all Americans and that the Trump administration could not cap its price because of the need for private sector investment in Covid-19 research.
Azar made the statement to Congress at a budget hearing on Wednesday, after requesting $136 million from Congress to boost government efforts in fighting the outbreak of the pneumonia-like virus.

Questioning him was Representative Jan Schakowsky (D–Ill.), who asked: “You’re saying that [a vaccine] will, for sure, be affordable for anyone who needs it?”

Azar replied: “We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can’t control that price because we need the private sector to invest. . . . Price controls won’t get us there.”

Health Secretary Alex Azar Refuses To Guarantee Coronavirus Vaccine Would Be Affordable For All
*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Just how does Trump's Health and Human Services Secretary plan on eradicating the coronavirus threat from the nation if he can't guarantee that the poorest segment of the population will receive the vaccine?

If there ever was a compelling argument for universal healthcare in America, this President's Health and Human Services Secretary has unintentionally made Bernie Sander's case that the vaccine should be available to every citizen - irrespective of one's ability to pay!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar has angered Democrats after suggesting that a coronavirus vaccine might not be affordable for all Americans and that the Trump administration could not cap its price because of the need for private sector investment in Covid-19 research.
Azar made the statement to Congress at a budget hearing on Wednesday, after requesting $136 million from Congress to boost government efforts in fighting the outbreak of the pneumonia-like virus.

Questioning him was Representative Jan Schakowsky (D–Ill.), who asked: “You’re saying that [a vaccine] will, for sure, be affordable for anyone who needs it?”

Azar replied: “We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can’t control that price because we need the private sector to invest. . . . Price controls won’t get us there.”

************************************************** ************************************************** ***************************************

Just how does Trump's Health and Human Services Secretary plan on eradicating the coronavirus threat from the nation if he can't guarantee that the poorest segment of the population will receive the vaccine?

If there ever was a compelling argument for universal healthcare in America, this President's Health and Human Services Secretary has unintentionally made Bernie Sander's case that the vaccine should be available to every citizen - irrespective of one's ability to pay!

You're not from America, so it's understandable that you're so ignorant

and again, since you're not from America, it's understandable that you're ignorant of the fact that funding for free flu shots comes through Congress

inform yourself: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAc&uact=5

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

and again, since you're not from America, it's understandable that you're ignorant of the fact that funding for free flu shots comes through Congress

inform yourself: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAc&uact=5
Which begs the question as to why Trump's Health and Human Services Secretary didn't say as much when questioned?

Can one conclude, based on "ok doser's" line of reasoning, that Alex Azar couldn't be an American citizen because he appeared "ignorant of the fact that funding for free flu shots comes through Congress!"

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

How is this relevant? That doesn't change the fact that Azar basically said: "No, everybody is not going to get the vaccine. We are going to let the pharmaceutical countries charge an arm and a leg for it. You are going to be able to get the vaccine...if you can afford it."

Which, for the record, is fine with me. That means that more people are likely to become infected.

I'm actively rooting for the coronavirus.

But if you're a boomer, or if you are someone who is NOT rooting for the virus, that should absolutely terrify you.

ok doser

How is this relevant? That doesn't change the fact that Azar basically said: "No, everybody is not going to get the vaccine. We are going to let the pharmaceutical countries charge an arm and a leg for it. You are going to be able to get the vaccine...if you can afford it."

Which, for the record, is fine with me. That means that more people are likely to become infected.

I'm actively rooting for the coronavirus.

But if you're a boomer, or if you are someone who is NOT rooting for the virus, that should absolutely terrify you.

Congress will vote for funding to make it available for free, just like other flu vaccines

sorry to quench your retarded hopes for the elimination of older people

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Congress will vote for funding to make it available for free, just like other flu vaccines

I'll quote the relevant part of that for you:

"Questioning him was Representative Jan Schakowsky (D–Ill.), who asked: “You’re saying that [a vaccine] will, for sure, be affordable for anyone who needs it?”
Azar replied: “We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can’t control that price because we need the private sector to invest. . . . Price controls won’t get us there.”"

In other words:

"Is everyone going to get it?"

"No."

Any vaccine is a year to a year and a half from actually being available to the public. We've got plenty of time even if the vaccine is free and available to everyone. ;)

ok doser

In other words:

"Is everyone going to get it?"

"No."

your interpretation of what he said is unfortunately a revealing indication of the fact that you live in a fantasy world and shouldn't be allowed to vote

like most young people :)

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...signs-n1151451

More good news on the coronavirus:

"
The death toll in the U.S. from the coronavirus outbreak rose to 14 on Friday, with more than 225 cases confirmed across the country."

Since we know that the actual kill rate of the virus is only about 3.4% (at most), that means at least half of the actual coronavirus cases in the US are unconfirmed.

What we're likely seeing at this point is that only the severest cases of community transmission are being confirmed. Meanwhile, people with mild or no symptoms aren't even going to the doctor.

:cheers:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Smith_C20200228_t655.jpg

Given that most of the deaths related to coronavirus are already older people, they are the age group subject to the greatest risk!

It defies common sense that the coronavirus vaccine wouldn't be available to all Americans, surely the Health and Human Services Secretary knows that, apart from the humanitarian reasons, no country can function properly if the population is divided into those who are vaccinated and those left untreated with a highly infectious disease!

As for this President, name one other leader who has openly contradicted the medical advice coming from his own Administration?

Last edited:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Given that most of the deaths related to coronavirus are already older people, they are the age group subject to the greatest risk!

The vast majority of deaths have been in the 50-80+ age range. Under 40s largely aren't dying from this disease. Young children (under 15s) are practically immune from this. The 0-9 age range? Zero deaths.

It's almost as though the Chinese government specifically designed a bioweapon to get rid of the most expensive and least productive members of their society.

This virus is Malthusian to the max.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

Representative Jan Schakowsky (D–Ill.): “You’re saying that [a vaccine] will, for sure, be affordable for anyone who needs it?”

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar:“We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can’t control that price because we need the private sector to invest. . . . Price controls won’t get us there.”"

On what basis would "ok doser" assume that the Trump Administration will support making the vaccine available free for all, certainly not based on the testimony of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, Trump's point man for dealing with coronavirus!

To my knowledge, this President has never addressed the subject and we all know that neither Republicans in Congress nor members of his Cabinet, like the
Health and Human Services Secretary make a move without getting Trump's approval!

Status
Not open for further replies.