Conservatives: public enemy number 1

Granite

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't say it's proven, but it's far from absurd. This comes across as very Saul Alinksy-style politics of "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it", which is something we have seen Obama use to some extent since his inauguration.

Well all politicians use that tactic--but to tie this into the whole ridiculous tea protests is simply ludicrous.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This reminds me of a story of Nazi Germany in the beginning. The Reich came for the Jew, and noone did nothing, saying it doesn't affect me. Then they came for the Christian, and nobody did anything either saying it doesn't affect me, then they came for me, and nobody was left

Yes, the famous quote that spoke of the progression of persecution. I thought of it as well.

Anyone who supported Bush for eight years doesn't have any leg to stand on whatsoever in terms of criticizing what's happening now. What goes around comes around, unfortunately. And really, based on the report, there is nothing to fear here. There is a difference between Joe Blow Conservative and a genuine in-the-flesh extremist and murderous lunatic.

Griping by right wingers over DHS abuse of power is beyond ridiculous.

koban

Anyone who supported Bush for eight years doesn't have any leg to stand on whatsoever in terms of criticizing what's happening now.

An interesting assertion. What would you propose be done with those Bush supporters who are criticizing Obama?

Lock them up? :chuckle:

And really, based on the report, there is nothing to fear here.

Riiiiiight. Because the Obamessiah has arrived and all will be well. :kookoo:

There is a difference between Joe Blow Conservative and a genuine in-the-flesh extremist and murderous lunatic.

Yes, there is. You seem to know it, I know it, others know it.

Do you trust the government to know it?

If so, where was that trust when Bush was in power?

Hypocrisy much?

Granite

Hall of Fame
An interesting assertion. What would you propose be done with those Bush supporters who are criticizing Obama?

Lock them up? :chuckle:

Riiiiiight. Because the Obamessiah has arrived and all will be well. :kookoo:

Yes, there is. You seem to know it, I know it, others know it.

Do you trust the government to know it?

If so, where was that trust when Bush was in power?

Hypocrisy much?

Why in the world would I want to lock those people up? And by the way, you know full well I didn't vote for Obama and don't support the guy. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to imply otherwise.

According to Napolitano, this report originated while the Bush administration was still in power.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
According to Napolitano, this report originated while the Bush administration was still in power.

The phrase 'hoist with one's own petar[d]' is often cited as 'hoist by one's own petar[d]'. The two forms mean the same, although the former is strictly a more accurate version of the original source. A petard is, or rather was, as they have long since fallen out of use, a small engine of war used to blow breaches in gates or walls. They were originally metallic and bell-shaped but later cubical wooden boxes. Whatever the shape, the significant feature was that they were full of gunpowder - basically what we would now call a bomb.

The device was used by the military forces of all the major European fighting nations by the 16th century.

They weren't very reliable, and often went off as they were being set, and the unfortunate sapper was often "hoist by his own petard."

I don't know what made me think of that bit of military history right now...

drbrumley

Again, you're making the false assumption that Bush is a right-winger and that true Conservatives were in favor of the Patriot Act.

Unfortunately, most on this board were as far as I know were in favor of the Patriot Act. But in the same token almost everyone here knew Bush was no conservative.

Ecumenicist

We should worry about this right after Obama implements the internment
camps that were supposed to force every American to renounce Christianity
and embrace Islam.

koban

and embrace Islam.

You mean those same internment camps that Bush was going to use to lock up all the Mooslims and democrats when he declared martial law and retained his presidency? :darwinsm:

There's crazies on both sides, aren't there? :chuckle:

Ecumenicist

This reminds me of a story of Nazi Germany in the beginning. The Reich came for the Jew, and noone did nothing, saying it doesn't affect me. Then they came for the Christian, and nobody did anything either saying it doesn't affect me, then they came for me, and nobody was left

You forgot the gay people, gypsies, Catholics, and others. The only group he didn't take out were the conservatives. Maybe because he was one?

:think:

Like Knight "implied", targeting is OK as long as its the "right people."

:doh:

koban

Here's three interesting excerpts:

* (U) Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and
adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups),
and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or
rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a
single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.

(U//FOUO) Proposed imposition of firearms restrictions and weapons bans
likely would attract new members into the ranks of rightwing extremist groups,
as well as potentially spur some of them to begin planning and training for
violence against the government. The high volume of purchases and
stockpiling of weapons and ammunition by rightwing extremists in anticipation
of restrictions and bans in some parts of the country continue to be a primary
concern to law enforcement.

(U//FOUO) On the current front, legislation has been proposed this year
requiring mandatory registration of all firearms in the United States. Similar
legislation was introduced in 2008 in several states proposing mandatory tagging
and registration of ammunition. It is unclear if either bill will be passed into law;
nonetheless, a correlation may exist between the potential passage of gun control
legislation and increased hoarding of ammunition, weapons stockpiling, and
paramilitary training activities among rightwing extremists.

Or, we could keep playing the hypocrisy game....

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Unfortunately, most on this board were as far as I know were in favor of the Patriot Act. But in the same token almost everyone here knew Bush was no conservative.

Please don't include me in that "most"!

We will one day regret the Patriot Act!

Those that do can not see the far reaching implications and applications it will afford what ever government happens to be in office.

I pray that those in power will modify it and restrict the use of it enough so that it can not be used against "We The People"!

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
and embrace Islam.

You mean those same internment camps that Bush was going to use to lock up all the Mooslims and democrats when he declared martial law and retained his presidency? :darwinsm:

There's crazies on both sides, aren't there? :chuckle:

You forgot the gay people, gypsies, Catholics, and others. The only group he didn't take out were the conservatives. Maybe because he was one?

:think:

Like Knight "implied", targeting is OK as long as its the "right people."

:doh:

I know you guys are poking fun but "The Patriot Act" if used improperly could be the straw that broke the camels back!

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
We will one day regret the Patriot Act!
We will, one day, regret a lot of things. Among which is the continuing effort to cede power from individuals and the sovereign states to the federal government.
Those that do can not see the far reaching implications and applications it will afford what ever government happens to be in office.
Whatever government, i.e., political party, happens to be in office certainly will.
I pray that those in power will modify it and restrict the use of it enough so that it can not be used against "We The People"!
I believe it is too late for that. For all the ranting and railing against it, it's still there, isn't it? No attempt has been made to repeal it, although those who complained about it the most now have the political power to do so.

As kobi says, we can continue to play the hypocrisy game. As the DHS report suggests, our government is about to target the "right" people.