Christian Kids in the Public School

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I know that there is much controversy surrounding this topic, but I would like to hear from some people if they believe Christian kids should be educated in the public school?
Should? It's up to the parents. I don't think it "should" be one way or the other.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Don't just stand around criticizing. Get involved and make a difference!

I do, in my own way. One way is warning folks about pullik skool.

As for getting involved by offering up my daughter, no thank you. I dunno how many articles I've posted about about parents who have tried getting involved and being told to sit down and shut up. It's usually over sex ed.

I don't know how old your kids are PJ, but I'm curious about something. Do they believe in evolution?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
how would you know? you weren't there...

You said, "if you shelter your children, they will grow into sheltered adults." I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to "be" so that I "would know". I know plenty of homeschoolers, none of which are sheltered, all of which have wonderful people skills.

audioseizure

You said, "if you shelter your children, they will grow into sheltered adults." I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to "be" so that I "would know". I know plenty of homeschoolers, none of which are sheltered, all of which have wonderful people skills.

i made a comment based on my observations and my personal experience. then you criticized it saying it had no merit. well i'm sorry, but who do you think you are that you can just say that my opinion based on my observations and personal experience has no merit? it has exatly the same amount of merit as your comment above, which is based on your observations and your personal experience.

called_out

...as opposed to us godless, unloving pagans who had our kids in public school?

I don't feel that way. My own experiences in school were adverse and contributed to my decision also. I never knew my father, but my mother had to work so I went to school. I am certain it is not for lack of love on her part, and she was not a practicing Christian. School is what it is, but I saw trouble early on so I did what I thought God would want me to do.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
i made a comment based on my observations and my personal experience. then you criticized it saying it had no merit. well i'm sorry, but who do you think you are that you can just say that my opinion based on my observations and personal experience has no merit? it has exatly the same amount of merit as your comment above, which is based on your observations and your personal experience.

Homeschooling isn't "sheltering".

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Homeschool kids can end up sheltered because of it, just as public school kids can end up undisciplined because of it. It all depends on the parents and the school.

As I said, this is a common talking point I find without merit based on every homeschooler I know.

Layla

As I said, this is a common talking point I find without merit based on every homeschooler I know.

Unless you know every homeschooler on the planet, I don't see how you can say it's without merit. My experience tells me that public school can provide a great education without any of the problems mentioned in this thread, but I know that that's not always the case..

zoo22

Did anyone here go to a variety of different types of schools, or have their children go to a variety of different types of schools?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Did anyone here go to a variety of different types of schools, or have their children go to a variety of different types of schools?
I went to public and private. The public school was only through 2nd grade though so I'm not a great example. I barely remember public school. :idunno:

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
Here's what chaps my hide about the tendency of too many Christians to just rant & rave about our public schools.

1. Christians are using our public schools as a scapegoat, when we SHOULD be looking at them as a mission field!

- Over the years I have had many friends who are public school teachers and/or administrators. They are wonderful Christian people, who have rolled up their sleeves and are making a positive, Godly difference in the lives of countless young people every day. When the Day of Judgment comes (of which Jesus speaks in Matthew 25: 31-46) there are going to be a LOT of "Christians" who have spent their lives with their hands on their hips, screaming and cursing at the public schools, who will find Jesus asking them, "Why didn't you do anything for "the least of these?"
- It's EASY to criticize, and most of us do it very well. It's much more difficult to do something helpful.

Using the public schools as a mission field is fine for grown adults, not for children who are still in training and premature in their faith. All of the “witnessing” done at school should be left up to mature, Christian teachers or school workers who have been called by God to work in that field. Christian children should be receiving an exclusively Christian education so they are fully equipped for the battle once they are grown.

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
if you shelter your children, they will grow into sheltered adults.

Why wouldn't I want to shelter my kids? - No one else is going to! As a parent I plan to shelter my kids for as long as possible. But, if for some reason I feel the need for them to be exposed to the perversion and wickedness of the world, I can order cable, put a television in their bedrooms and let them watch TV during the day where all of the humanists and homos of Hollywood can pervert their minds and destroy their character just as the public school would do.

Of course living in America, it is almost unavoidable to be exposed to filth no matter where you go. But, while my kids are young, I will do my best to preserve their innocence because that's my job as a parent! My children know what kind of sick culture we live in and they know it is destructive. There is no way I would hand them over to the government so they can be dumbed down, corrupted, molested, and robbed of their childhood for the sake of 'socialization'!

Public education does not have some magical formula for people to deal with the 'real world'. In fact I believe that the school environment puts kids at a disadvantage. There is no other circumstance in 'real life' where the conditions of a public school are duplicated.

audioseizure

Why wouldn't I want to shelter my kids? - No one else is going to! As a parent I plan to shelter my kids for as long as possible. But, if for some reason I feel the need for them to be exposed to the perversion and wickedness of the world, I can order cable, put a television in their bedrooms and let them watch TV during the day where all of the humanists and homos of Hollywood can pervert their minds and destroy their character just as the public school would do.

Of course living in America, it is almost unavoidable to be exposed to filth no matter where you go. But, while my kids are young, I will do my best to preserve their innocence because that's my job as a parent! My children know what kind of sick culture we live in and they know it is destructive. There is no way I would hand them over to the government so they can be dumbed down, corrupted, molested, and robbed of their childhood for the sake of 'socialization'!

Public education does not have some magical formula for people to deal with the 'real world'. In fact I believe that the school environment puts kids at a disadvantage. There is no other circumstance in 'real life' where the conditions of a public school are duplicated.

ok

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
My experience tells me that public school can provide a great education without any of the problems mentioned in this thread, but I know that that's not always the case..

Great education?!?! :rotfl:

Do you even know how many kids graduate these days who don't know how to read or write? :loser:

Of course, they sure know how to roll a joint and put a condom on, but basic learning skills - don't make me laugh!