Christian Kids in the Public School

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Back in November, 2006 The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against parents who sued their local school district after their elementary-age children were given a sexually charged survey, saying: “that there is no fundamental right of parents to be the exclusive provider of information regarding sexual matters to their children, either independent of their right to direct the upbringing and education of their children or encompassed by it. We also hold that parents have no due process or privacy right to override the determinations of public schools as to the information to which their children will be exposed while enrolled as students. ”
That's a very good point - but it is one incident. It is not what happens in most schools.
If raising and educating our own kids is our God-given role and responsibility as parents, then why would you send them away for 8 hours a day to a godless government school to be educated?
Well, because in some cases, there are teachers that are able to teach my kids subjects I'm not proficient in. That would be ONE reason...

Where in Scripture does God say children should be "salt-n-light"?
Sermon on the Mount. And where does Jesus specify at what age Christians "become" salt & light?

What are we so afraid of? Hmmm?
1 John 4:4 - "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."
I guess I take this verse seriously...

My girls being severely sexually harassed daily, experiencing fierce peer pressure, having poor self-esteem, picking up a few drug habits, learning to disrespect authority, use foul language, learn how to have oral sex and sleep around, become a homosexual, embrace relativism, feminism and tolerance as virtues, or possibly get sexually molested by their peers or raped by their teachers, or even shot and killed...just for starters.
Well... none of my 3 kids picked that stuff up.

Sorry, but I love my kids. And there is no hope for public education so we should quit trying to change a corrupted system.
I'm truly happy you love your kids.
I'm truly sad that you're willingly discarding the hundreds of millions of kids in public schools.

Oh - and kids at public school aren't socially retarded? What other instance in the "real world" are children segregated by age and forced under compulsory attendance to be in place where they don't want to be? Maybe the prison system - but that's not the real world either. But is it really the government’s responsibility to teach our children? Would the Jews ever send their children to the Philistines to be educated?
It's great to have the freedom of CHOICE in America, isn't it.

If you don't want to send your kids to public school, DON'T. My wife & I did, and we don't regret it.

What I clearly see is that your only reason for starting this thread is to rip & rant about Public Schools. So feel free, but let's not make believe this is about any kind of honest discussion...

Layla

Did you go to high school? If you didn't know what swear word/oral sex was before you got sucked in, you'll definitely know by the time you're through the wringer. Rape is quite a bit rarer, but we have a teacher who's raped every girl in our school visually/in his mind. Violence such as shooting is only uncommon in very small high schools.

When did I find out about oral sex? Well, I wasn't taught in school or by parents. Learn by doing, I think, is the most TOL-friendly way to put it. -waits to be called a whore-

As for rape by teachers -- Ok, so it happens rarely. So does molestation by parents. So what? Should we ban homeschool 'cause some daddies are pedophiles?

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Oh, that part didn't surprise me.. this is TOL, afterall. I was just wondering where exactly he lives that people regularly get taught how to swear and give oral sex, or get raped by their teachers, or shot on campus.. Ok, scratch the last one, forgot I was talking to Americans. :p

Yeah, that kind of makes me wonder where this "public school" is...

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
I dunno, I personally can't stand public school and won't ever send my future kids there. Every homeschooler I know is quite socially adept, because even though they weren't socializing at school, they were in more positive environments provided by the local church youth group! Even though a little extreme, DX has a point that a majority of undesirable behaviors are learned in public schools. Basically, my beef with it is the fact that nearly everyone walks around with fake masks of who they are, and in the end, there are still plenty of social rejects who end up just as stunted as a homeschooler might, and deeply hurt on top of it. The absolute worst part is how every time you try and take a stand, you are suppressed. Any time any kid would bring in a poster for a concert, etc, the priciple would ok it no prob, unless it was me and the event was being held at my church, horror of horrors. I'm tired of that box that they put you through to make you an 'ideal (conformist!) person'. As hard as I try, I still pick up on all the crap that goes around the halls and end up influenced by it to some degree. (sigh) I can't wait til graduation... only 2 more years...

Everything you are describing here takes place everywhere in our secular world.

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
Oh, that part didn't surprise me.. this is TOL, afterall. I was just wondering where exactly he lives that people regularly get taught how to swear and give oral sex, or get raped by their teachers, or shot on campus.. Ok, scratch the last one, forgot I was talking to Americans. :p

Obviously you have never walked in a public school hallway and heard the filthy language coming out of the mouths of students enough to make a sailor blush, or seen the news about the daily sexual assults from teachers to students.

*Read this => Sex, Teens & Drugs" during the World Affairs Conference

P8ntrDan

That link DX posted sounds vaguely familiar. My health teacher told us that he wasn't going to say don't drink and drive, since he knew we'd just do it anyway. He said just don't drink too much. Those panelists were nuts btw. My friend did a reseach paper on the dangers of homosexuality and included medical references of how sodomy results in tearing and easy infection of the rectum. Needless to say, the teacher refused to accept his results as too graphic until the schoolboard said she had to because of the constitutional freedom he has in the US.

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
And where does Jesus specify at what age Christians "become" salt & light?

When Jesus said, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature," He wasn’t speaking to children, He was speaking to His disciples who were grown men and who were under His exclusive instruction for three full years!

Would you send your child off to fight the war in Iraq if he only had two weeks of boot camp?

From a Biblical perspective however, children are not trained to be missionaries; they are children, still in training! Children are supposed to be discipled by their parents, not turned over to the enemy to become disciples. God NEVER once in His Word called children to be missionaries - NEVER!

DXPose said - My girls being severely sexually harassed daily, experiencing fierce peer pressure, having poor self-esteem, picking up a few drug habits, learning to disrespect authority, use foul language, learn how to have oral sex and sleep around, become a homosexual, embrace relativism, feminism and tolerance as virtues, or possibly get sexually molested by their peers or raped by their teachers, or even shot and killed...just for starters.

Well... none of my 3 kids picked that stuff up.

Are you sure about that?

I'm truly happy you love your kids.
I'm truly sad that you're willingly discarding the hundreds of millions of kids in public schools.

It's not my responsibility to take care of other people children. It is beyond my understanding as to why Christian parents would be willing to send their children into a hostile, perverted, godless environment, to be missionaries in an effort to lead others to Jesus. Why would parents risk their own kids at the sake of others? Seems rather irresponsible to me.

What I clearly see is that your only reason for starting this thread is to rip & rant about Public Schools. So feel free, but let's not make believe this is about any kind of honest discussion...

Okay - you got me!

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Here's what chaps my hide about the tendency of too many Christians to just rant & rave about our public schools.

1. Christians are using our public schools as a scapegoat, when we SHOULD be looking at them as a mission field!

- Over the years I have had many friends who are public school teachers and/or administrators. They are wonderful Christian people, who have rolled up their sleeves and are making a positive, Godly difference in the lives of countless young people every day. When the Day of Judgment comes (of which Jesus speaks in Matthew 25: 31-46) there are going to be a LOT of "Christians" who have spent their lives with their hands on their hips, screaming and cursing at the public schools, who will find Jesus asking them, "Why didn't you do anything for "the least of these?"
- It's EASY to criticize, and most of us do it very well. It's much more difficult to do something helpful.

2. We blindly broad-brush, making it appear as though 1 incident is the norm for all of the tens of thousands of public schools across America.
- Are public school teachers who are sexual predators the norm? No, absolutely not! They are the EXTREME exception and minority.
- Are public schools that are antagonistic toward parents the norm? No, absolutely not! They are the EXTREME exception and minority.

3. We're willing to write off hundreds of millions of children, clearly saying that they're just not important to us.
- What are we saying, about the millions of kids in America's public schools, other than that we really don't care about them?

- If we want to see America's public schools improve, we darned well better get in and try to make a difference. Those who are unwilling to get in, work hard, and at least try to improve the situation have no business sitting on our lazy butts and criticizing those who ARE involved. It's no different than people who don't vote screaming about our government.
- We need to strongly encourage our Christian young people to go to college for, and to become, CHRISTIAN teachers in our public schools. What better place to affect change than from the inside!
- We need to get involved on the School Board level, get to know the administrators and get involved in things like PTA, etc.

Don't just stand around criticizing. Get involved and make a difference!

Layla

It appears there are problems in the UK. cite.

It's true, there are problems, just like everywhere. In my experience, the students who've had such problems (promiscuity, pregnancy, drug use) have been the ones with poor parental support/relationships, though, which must play a role as well.. I don't think said students would be better off homeschooled, they'd be worse off.

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
When Jesus said, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature," He wasn’t speaking to children, He was speaking to His disciples who were grown men and who were under His exclusive instruction for three full years!

Would you send your child off to fight the war in Iraq if he only had two weeks of boot camp?

From a Biblical perspective however, children are not trained to be missionaries; they are children, still in training! Children are supposed to be discipled by their parents, not turned over to the enemy to become disciples. God NEVER once in His Word called children to be missionaries - NEVER!

Are you sure about that?

It's not my responsibility to take care of other people children. It is beyond my understanding as to why Christian parents would be willing to send their children into a hostile, perverted, godless environment, to be missionaries in an effort to lead others to Jesus. Why would parents risk their own kids at the sake of others? Seems rather irresponsible to me.

Okay - you got me!

So what... now you're questioning my parenting?

If you knew anything about my 3 kids, you'd know how utterly ridiculous that question - and the ensuing paragraph - are. You should be ashamed of yourself.

audioseizure

i've never set foot inside a public school. i went to a christian elemtary/middle school and a quaker high school. i liked school, but i never once associated myself with the christian teachings, i just ignored it.

i think alot of what everyone attributes to impression really just depends on the kid.

and as for school shootings; my sister went to the same prep schools that i did, and she just finished her freshmen year at VA Tech. certain things just aren't predictable, or avoidable.

if you shelter your children, they will grow into sheltered adults.