Christian censorship: Atheist billboard taken down

Daedalean's_Sun

Which would be damning had I suggested anything of the sort. What I have said is that to attempt to trade upon the Christian celebration is in poor taste.

No, I absolutely agree with you. Displaying something that suggests Jesus isn't God during the dominant culture's holy month that celebrates his birth is tasteless. Menorah displays in the bible belt are clearly trading on the holiday to advance an agenda. It's a calculated headline grab in the making. It is confrontational by virtue of its timing and location. It's a smart move but a crass one. I am right there with you Town!

zoo22

I wonder how many Christians here would say that a billboard in a predominantly Muslim country during the month of Ramadan that said "Believe in Christ?" You're Not Alone." was tasteless?

I wonder how many Christians living in a mostly Muslim country during Ramadan would appreciate seeing that billboard?

fool

Hall of Fame
Which would be damning had I suggested anything of the sort. What I have said is that to attempt to trade upon the Christian celebration is in poor taste.
And you perceiving that they are "trading upon" your beliefs by reaching out to others of like mind is in poor taste.

How some of you have fashioned of that a personal cross is simply remarkable,
YOU'RE the one that has fashioned a personal cross of it. That billboard had nothing to do with you or anyone that complained about it.

though I suppose it will fuel some of my friends who insist that to be outside of the Body is to on some level or another to hate God and anything relating to him becomes a red flag to sneer at.
Someone not believing in a god shouldn't be a "red flag".
The Jewish celebration of Hanukkah isn't trading on anything relating to the Christian celebration. It isn't attempting to. This billboard was.
Jesus was Jewish, I'm sure you know that and can do math too.

Arthur Brain

This definition:
characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved​
It fits.

No it doesn't, especially in the context of what followed which you still deflect away from answering in the hopes of what, that nobody'll notice? You pull the same stunt on any thread where you don't have an actual answer.

genuineoriginal

I wonder how many Christians here would say that a billboard in a predominantly Muslim country during the month of Ramadan that said "Believe in Christ?" You're Not Alone." was tasteless?
Pretty much all Christians would think that.

I wonder how many Christians living in a mostly Muslim country during Ramadan would genuinely appreciate seeing that billboard?
Pretty much none of them would appreciate the billboard.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

How some of you have fashioned of that a personal cross is simply remarkable, though I suppose it will fuel some of my friends who insist that to be outside of the Body is to on some level or another to hate God and anything relating to him becomes a red flag to sneer at.

The Jewish celebration of Hanukkah isn't trading on anything relating to the Christian celebration. It isn't attempting to. This billboard was.

I disagree, the ones that show mocking like the one i posted do that, but the one in the op, imo was simply what it appears to be, and actually seems the most appropriate time - since i would think that atheists feel more alone at Christmas than any other time, especially those in this country.

I see it for what it says and nothing more, and they didnt add anything more, it looks to me just like reaching out to likeminded people who would be feeling alone at that time of year more than any other. I don't see anything more than its intent than that.

I do see other intent in some of the other ones that went up around the country this past year though...this isnt it though, imo.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
annabenedetti, your post shows that you are the one lying about me.

I don't think so:

Isn't it amazing that an Atheist like you and a self-proclaimed "Christian" like annabenedetti have the same low opinion of Christians?

You simply cannot bring yourself to answer a simple question. I asked you what, four, five times now? I'm not going to waste any more time on it. Apparently you can't see that a Christian can have a calm, rational response to the OP billboard. I can. We'll have to leave at that.

fool

Hall of Fame
Others have argued (I think you among them) about the alienation and outreach and I answered on those points long ago.

Else, I expect I'm differed with by any number of people, which given the nature of disparate upbringings and contexts isn't surprising or troubling. I'm not suggesting you have to share my opinion. I'm not trying to pull down billboards. What launched this onslaught on the part of the number of people I've been jousting with was nothing more or less than a personal valuation and a willingness, when asked, to explain the why of it and meet objections related.

As is any argument when boiled down.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I disagree, the ones that show mocking like the one i posted do that, but the one in the op, imo was simply what it appears to be, and actually seems the most appropriate time - since i would think that atheists feel more alone at Christmas than any other time, especially those in this country.
Then as I said to the first person who suggested that, waiting until the week before Christmas isn't the best timing to address it.

They had a four week contract. Three of those weeks fall after Christmas and any particular holiday. So if the point is to help those in depression, those alienated, then spend the entire month of December on it (though doing that in November could accomplish the same end).

They didn't. They wanted impact, it's the only reason to wait until, in essence, the last moment. That draws eyes and ire and protest and a world of additional press of the free variety.

fool

Hall of Fame
That wouldn't be as politically correct as carving MLK into the Black Hills of South Dakota, near Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

THE Bus that Rosa Parks refused to give her seat up in is on display at The Henry Ford in Dearborn Michigan.
On Rosa Parks Day they will let you sit on the actual bus.
They have the Limo that JFK was killed in as well.
There's some other stuff too.

genuineoriginal

You simply cannot bring yourself to answer a simple question.
I often answer simple questions.
I often refuse to answer stupid loaded questions like the ones you posted.
There is a difference.

I asked you what, four, five times now?
Yes, you tried to ask the same stupid loaded questions over and over expecting a different result.

Apparently you can't see that a Christian can have a calm, rational response to the OP billboard.

Your questions showed that you were trying to claim that I have a low opinion about Christians, when it should have been obvious that I have a low opinion of Atheists and people that support Atheists over Christians.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As is any argument when boiled down.
I think much boils down to preference and what you're willing to accept, who you'd rather have at your dinner table and why, after a fashion. For instance, I prefer people who can enjoin a lively difference with repartee and good humor. I prefer people who don't wear muddy boots indoors and who stand when a lady approaches a table. And I prefer those who don't trade on the beliefs of others for their meat.

But every man has his own standard on each of those and more and, again, I'm simply stating mine and the reasons I have for it.

genuineoriginal

THE Bus that Rosa Parks refused to give her seat up in is on display at The Henry Ford in Dearborn Michigan.
On Rosa Parks Day they will let you sit on the actual bus.
The have the Limo that JFK was killed in as well.
There's some other stuff too.

Dearborn Michigan is not near Stone Mountain, Georgia.

Black Hills, South Dakota is where images of great Americans are carved into the hills.

Is there a suitable mountain in Michigan to carve the likeness of MLK on?
It does seem too close to water level from the maps I looked at.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I would.

I wonder how many Christians living in a mostly Muslim country during Ramadan would appreciate seeing that billboard?
Not many.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Then as I said to the first person who suggested that, waiting until the week before Christmas isn't the best timing to address it.

If the intent was to reach out to those feeling alone who have been estranged from family and friends, i would think that was the most apropriate time because thats when they would be feeling the most alone, i would think.

They had a four week contract. Three of those weeks fall after Christmas and any particular holiday. So if the point is to help those in depression, those alienated, then spend the entire month of December on it (though doing that in November could accomplish the same end).

They didn't. They wanted impact, it's the only reason to wait until, in essence, the last moment. That draws eyes and ire and protest and a world of additional press of the free variety.

Sorry, i dont see it that way, i see it more like optimal timing to be a week before Christmas and through the rest of the season through new year, since most people in this country celebrate all the way through.

I wouldnt give a poster like that any press and think the only reason that one got any, was because of the 2 week time thing instead of 4, because they didnt get back with them in time.

I sure didnt know about this one till this thread, and it was posted on an atheist blog, not where christians were complaining.

The ones where christians and christian sites and news agencies mentioned were the ones like i posted. Those kind are intended to inflame, i really dont think this one was. I really don't.

To be honest if i passed it on the road, i wouldn't have thought about it more than the time it took me to read it. I didnt see it as trying to be derogatory at all, i didnt see it aimed at Christians at all.

Arthur Brain

I often answer simple questions.
I often refuse to answer stupid loaded questions like the ones you posted.
There is a difference.

Yes, you tried to ask the same stupid loaded questions over and over expecting a different result.

Your questions showed that you were trying to claim that I have a low opinion about Christians, when it should have been obvious that I have a low opinion of Atheists and people that support Atheists over Christians.

She wasn't lying about you at all and it's not the first time you've tried that pathetic little stunt either. Stop being dishonest.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If the intent was to reach out to those feeling alone who have been estranged from family and friends, i would think that was the most apropriate time because thats when they would be feeling the most alone, i would think.
Then use the time DURING the holiday instead of one week out of four. Why right before the holiday? Because it's a great match to light free publicity.

Sorry, i dont see it that way, i see it more like optimal timing to be a week before Christmas and through the rest of the season through new year, since most people in this country celebrate all the way through.
Still have two weeks hanging and the New Year doesn't jibe with the offered "pressure from being outside of the social norm/religion" bit, given it's not a religious holiday or observance.

I wouldnt give a poster like that any press and think the only reason that one got any, was because of the 2 week time thing instead of 4, because they didnt get back with them in time.
They got press because they went to the press when their initial contract didn't run and accomplish the first goal. Llamar wasn't talking about it first.

It wasn't the press you'd get in Mobile launching the week of, but it was better than nothing.

To be honest if i passed it on the road, i wouldn't have thought about it more than the time it took me to read it.
Wouldn't do much one way or the other for me. But reflecting on the OP and my subsequent look into it to find if it was date certain, then aimed at answering fly on a point of why the sign came down early in terms of the contract duration, I noted when it was set to launch and the reason seemed plain enough. My response to it wasn't anger only a disappointed notice and valuation.

I didnt see it as trying to be derogatory at all, i didnt see it aimed at Christians at all.
Then I think you're missing it.