Christian censorship: Atheist billboard taken down

Daedalean's_Sun

Jews should hide their menorahs during Christmas 'holy month' as well. Christmas is about celebrating the Birth of the lord Jesus Christ by the dominant culture, and and Judaism is antithetical to that context. It is tasteless and confrontational to put up menorahs during the 'holy month' in the Bible Belt no less, they are just looking for free publicity for their Jewish agenda :plain:

fool

Hall of Fame
"Don't believe in a god? You're not alone" is a message that runs contrary to the context of Christianity. It is in its nature antithetical even if it isn't as aggressive as others. Pushing that agenda is anyone's right. Scheduling that advertisement the week of Christmas is needless and the obvious reason for it is tasteless.

Rebuted by Angel at the top of the previous page.

genuineoriginal

Jews should hide their menorahs during Christmas 'holy month' as well. Christmas is about celebrating the Birth of the lord Jesus Christ by the dominant culture, and and Judaism is antithetical to that context. It is tasteless and confrontational to put up menorahs during the 'holy month' in the Bible Belt no less, they are just looking for free publicity for their Jewish agenda :plain:

The Gospel of John mentions Chanukkah.

John 10:22
22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter.​

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jews should hide their menorahs during Christmas 'holy month' as well. Christmas is about celebrating the Birth of the lord Jesus Christ by the dominant culture, and and Judaism is antithetical to that context. :plain:
Which would be damning had I suggested anything of the sort. What I have said is that to attempt to trade upon the Christian celebration is in poor taste.

How some of you have fashioned of that a personal cross is simply remarkable, though I suppose it will fuel some of my friends who insist that to be outside of the Body is to on some level or another to hate God and anything relating to him becomes a red flag to sneer at.

The Jewish celebration of Hanukkah isn't trading on anything relating to the Christian celebration. It isn't attempting to. This billboard was.

Daedalean's_Sun

Isn't it amazing that an Atheist like you and a self-proclaimed "Christian" like annabenedetti have the same low opinion of Christians?

I was being factitious. I don't have an opinion of "Christians", as if there were some universal characteristic. Some Christians are really caring intelligent and thoughtful, and others are bigoted jerks. Just like people in general.

Edit: Agnostic Pantheist

fool

Hall of Fame

I wonder how soon they'll be carving MLK into Stone Mountain.

zoo22

Going to play devils advocate here about the billboard in the op. Its pretty non descript (meaning in context to the other one i posted which mocked Christianity clearly).

I can see how in secular atheistic thinking, that it could be seen as reaching out in this way-

Consider this, loads of people are alone at Christmas and can be depressed especially at that time of year and some even commit suicide at Christmas time, and i would think a great many atheist are estranged from family and or friends at Christmas time because of their lack of belief.

So, i could understand that (the one in the op) billboard as simply being a way to reach out to those without faith who are alone and feeling alone and it being nothing more than that.

Personally i would just drive right by a billboard like in the op and think nothing more of it than any advertisement, since its not going out of its way to offend, or mock Christians and Christianity.

The other one that i posted though, i would be angry if i saw it in person - because its intend is clearly to inflame and in bad taste and its sole purpose imo is to target children and trash Christmas and Christianity.

Huge difference.

I agree.

The Christmas "holy month" is a tough time of year for many people, in great part because people feel isolated and alone. There's a lot of social pressure at Christmas (of course, not only regarding religion).

TH can brush away the idea of atheists or agnostics feeling marginalized (because he didn't feel it)...

I was an atheist in the heart of the Bible belt. I never felt particularly isolated for holding a different view. I don't really understand that sort of emotional response to your own context. No one was walking about taking a faithful head count or eyeing me suspiciously.

but in reality, atheists and agnostics are one of the most disliked groups in the US.

genuineoriginal

She asked you a question is all. Instead of being a deflective blowhard you could have simply just answered it.
The question was obviously intentional hyperbole as she later admitted.
obviously intentional hyperbole

As such, it was a rhetorical question.

You might want to find out what a rhetorical question is before wondering why people don't answer them, you pretentious prig.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Rebuted by Angel at the top of the previous page.
Others have argued (I think you among them) about the alienation and outreach and I answered on those points long ago.

Else, I expect I'm differed with by any number of people, which given the nature of disparate upbringings and contexts isn't surprising or troubling. I'm not suggesting you have to share my opinion. I'm not trying to pull down billboards. What launched this onslaught on the part of the number of people I've been jousting with was nothing more or less than a personal valuation and a willingness, when asked, to explain the why of it and meet objections related.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Admitted, as if I regretted saying it? Not a chance. I had a definite reason for saying it.

And it obviously struck a nerve with you, which isn't at all surprising.

You might want to find out what a rhetorical question is before wondering why people don't answer them, you pretentious prig.
Set your churlishness aside for a moment, and ask yourself why you didn't answer what immediately followed:

What do you think, that passing Christians were all so filled with rage they couldn't see where they were going and swerved off the road, leaving the area around the billboard littered with car wrecks?

Or do you think most of them gave it a passing thought (if they noticed it at all), or maybe a whole line of thought, or maybe saw a teaching moment for their children riding with them, a chance to talk about their beliefs and the beliefs (and non-beliefs) that others hold, and how we live in a country that allows us those freedoms?

You ignored that entirely. Why?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So, you are claiming that your derogatory remarks about how Christians would react to the billboard were intentionally made?

Still ignoring the question, are you?

Let's try again:

What do you think, that passing Christians were all so filled with rage they couldn't see where they were going and swerved off the road, leaving the area around the billboard littered with car wrecks?

Or do you think most of them gave it a passing thought (if they noticed it at all), or maybe a whole line of thought, or maybe saw a teaching moment for their children riding with them, a chance to talk about their beliefs and the beliefs (and non-beliefs) that others hold, and how we live in a country that allows us those freedoms?

I already told you what I think:

Seriously, you must have low expectations for passing Christian motorists. Much lower expectations than I have.

I don't believe their faith is so weak that the billboard must come down to protect it. Do you?

Apparently you'd rather lie about me than answer what should have been an easy question for you to answer.

Arthur Brain

I think you need to look at the definition yourself as just because a question is laced with intentional hyperbole doesn't equate to being rhetorical by association, and there was no reason why you couldn't have answered it instead of acting like a pompous prima donna.

Oh, and you might wanna look up the definition of 'pretentious' while you're at it. If you're gonna try and insult someone at least make it relevant doofus...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I agree.

The Christmas "holy month"
It's the Muslim thing again, isn't it. :plain:

is a , in great part because people feel isolated and alone. There's a lot of social pressure at Christmas (of course, not only regarding religion).
For a lot of people and for a lot of reasons. And there are all sorts of outlets to help people deal with that, Christian and else.

TH can brush away the idea of atheists or agnostics feeling marginalized (because he didn't feel it)...
I acknowledge that many people agonize over all sorts of things and feel alone for all sorts of reasons. I can understand why atheists would want to reach out to help with that for likened minded people. And I've argued the best way to do that isn't to wait until Christmas week is upon them, but it is the best way to stir controversy and get a lot of free advertisement.

genuineoriginal

Oh, and you might wanna look up the definition of 'pretentious' while you're at it. If you're gonna try and insult someone at least make it relevant doofus...
This definition:
characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved​
It fits.

genuineoriginal

I already told you what I think:
Seriously, you must have low expectations for passing Christian motorists. Much lower expectations than I have.

Apparently you'd rather lie about me than answer what should have been an easy question for you to answer.
annabenedetti, your post shows that you are the one lying about me.

I think that many Christians are able to understand that the billboards were put up during Christmas time with the intention of trying to upset Christians because of the low opinions that Atheists (and certain others) have about Christians.