California lawmakers seek to end 'personal belief' vaccine exemptions

zoo22

Interesting chart of vaccination impact on measles in the US:

measles_TOL.png

(Cases per 100,000 people).

More info and charts here:

Battling Infectious Diseases in the 20th Century: The Impact of Vaccines

Daedalean's_Sun

Though it is clear to see that your opposition to the MMR isn't predicated on the particulars of the vaccine, but that you reject vaccination in whole, regardless of the statistical, clinical, or historical data even when the benefit is palpable. Unreasoned objection defined.

Why should I get a measles vaccination?

Why should my child get a measles vaccination?

Thank you for proving my point.

Measles is a relatively harmless virus with a low incidence of infection

It has low incidence of infection BECAUSE of high vaccination coverage. I have presented ample evidence of exactly this. Whenever there is a reduction in coverage rates this is a subsequent increase in outbreaks, shown in two different countries on two different continents.

and very low death rate (before the vaccine was licensed). There is evidence to suggest that measles in childhood can be beneficial.

Like pneumonia, lifelong brain damage, and deafness.

elohiym

Daedalean's_Sun

I'm fine with you exposing the ambitions of pro-vax scientists.

Red herring.

Your argument for why Andrew Wakefield didn't presented fraudulent findings claiming that the MMR vaccine caused autism, as the Nova article states, was that he was advocating a measles vaccine -- neglecting the fact that it wasn't the MMR vaccine he was promoting, but rather a single-jab measles vaccine he patented. Ergo the Nova article was not in error.

So much for the accuracy of PBS and NOVA. He was obviously promoting measles vaccination.

Your presumption of error on the part of the NOVA article I supplied is therefore unwarranted and contrary to the facts.

elohiym

Interesting chart of vaccination impact on measles in the US:

Kennedy and Johnson also took major steps to fight poverty in the years following the vaccine introduction. Wouldn't that reduce the incidence of the disease? We saw resurgences in measles after introduction of the vaccination that appear to have occurred coincidental with economic turmoil and high unemployment. The latest outbreak years are following in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis.

From the CDC:

From 1985 through 1988, 42% of cases occurred in persons who were vaccinated on or after their first birthday. During these years, 68% of cases in school-aged children (5–19 years) occurred among those who had been appropriately vaccinated. The occurrence of measles among previously vaccinated children (i.e., vaccine failure) led to the recommendation for a second dose in this age group.​

Is that the same vaccine that allegedly reduced the incidence of measles before 1985?

elohiym

Your question has already been answered copiously.

No, it hasn't. Where did you tell me why I should get the measles vaccine? You did say something about adults not needing to get the vaccine because measles is a childhood disease. The reasons you claim my child should get the vaccine are based on your irrational fears and pseudo-science.

Proves nothing. Here is a quote from the CDC:
Before 1963, approximately 500,000 cases and 500 deaths were reported annually, with epidemic cycles every 2–3 years. However, the actual number of cases was estimated at 3–4 million annually.​

That is a very low incidence relative to the population, and a very low death rate. You are helping to spread fear in order to sell vaccines.

Would it change your mind?

I'm not the only one reading this.

No scary odds, no scary disease.

elohiym

elohiym said:
Okay. Forced vaccination violates the golden rule. It is also idolatry, coveting and murder.

Giving children booster shots is murder? Really??
Is that your argument?
Idolatry? Is the vaccine being worshiped?

You're grasping at straws here.

You seem to have a problem reading.

Seat-belt laws violate the golden rule. It is also idolatry, coveting and murder.

You are comparing a fine for not wearing a seat belt to forced vaccinations? Bizarre.

I'm not suggesting a nationwide mandate. I think current laws are sufficient.

If they are sufficient, why are you arguing for elimination of exemptions? Why are you willing to let children be exposed to non-vaccinated adults?

elohiym

Of course not, because as we have already seen you are unpersuaded by facts.

Cheap shot and a lame way of dodging the point. The problem for you is that when one considers the size of the U.S. population at the time, those numbers indicate a low risk of getting measles before the vaccine was licensed.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Opposition to vaccinations seems to stem from the very same willful lethal stupidity that leads people to deny climate change.

Some folks, I'm convinced, have a death wish...and want to take everybody else with them.