California lawmakers seek to end 'personal belief' vaccine exemptions

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

(Reuters) Responding to an outbreak of measles that has infected more than 100 people, two California lawmakers said on Wednesday they would introduce legislation to end the right of parents in the state to exempt their children from school vaccinations based on personal beliefs.
Read more here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/04/us-usa-measles-california-idUSKBN0L82NR20150204

From another article:

“While a small number of children cannot be vaccinated due to an underlying medical condition,” they wrote, “we believe there should be no such thing as a philosophical or personal belief exemption, since everyone uses public spaces. As we have learned in the past month, parents who refuse to vaccinate their children not only put their own family at risk, but they also endanger other families who choose to vaccinate.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ersonal-belief-vaccine-opt-out-now-in-danger/

Do you think the states should be able to mandate immunizations? If so why and if not why not?

genuineoriginal

Read more here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/04/us-usa-measles-california-idUSKBN0L82NR20150204

From another article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ersonal-belief-vaccine-opt-out-now-in-danger/

Do you think the states should be able to mandate immunizations? If so why and if not why not?

According to the reports, at least five of the people that contracted measles in Disneyland were fully vaccinated.

Why force people to have vaccinations that don't work?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
According to the reports, at least five of the people that contracted measles in Disneyland were fully vaccinated.

Nothing i posted says that. Everything ive read so far on it, talk about people who were vaccinated a long time ago, and or/only received one of the vaccination dosages, measles takes 2 vaccinations to be complete.

Anyway is your objection to state mandating things like this, because you don't believe it works?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

I don't know the ages of those people, but immunity can wear off. I had to have another MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) when blood work showed my immunity to rubella was gone.

rexlunae

Better late than never.

The vaccines aren't quite being mandated. They'd be necessary for things like going to public schools. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. The right to safely attend a public school trumps unfounded medical superstition.

rexlunae

They do work. They just don't work 100% of the time, which is true of almost any medical intervention. And, like Anna pointed out, sometimes they wear off.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Better late than never.

The vaccines aren't quite being mandated. They'd be necessary for things like going to public schools. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. The right to safely attend a public school trumps unfounded medical superstition.

What about religious objection?

What about flu shots?

Should any vaccine a state representative decided on be state mandated in public schools in your opinion?

The state of Texas tried to mandate an HPV vaccine for all girls at age 12 - it was overturned by the state legislature.

rexlunae

Sounds like a personal belief to me.

What about flu shots?

I don't think they've ever been mandated. I think that if they were to be mandated, maybe. I don't really see a problem with it.

Should any vaccine a state representative decided on be state mandated in public schools in your opinion?

Well, I'd like to see it vetted by the medical community first. And available universally for free.

The state of Texas tried to mandate an HPV vaccine for all girls at age 12 - it was overturned by the state legislature.

Sure. And this is a proposed action of the California legislature.

The HPV vaccine would do a lot of good as a baseline. The reactionaries made it into something that is wasn't.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Better late than never.

Agreed. It should be required for any child who will be attending public schools.

Arthur Brain

Not good enough. JW's object to blood transfusions even if it's the only viable way to save a child's life. Short of medical reasons why vaccinations aren't appropriate for certain children, religious or philosophical objections should have no part in what is best for the health of a child.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Not good enough. JW's object to blood transfusions even if it's the only viable way to save a child's life. Short of medical reasons why vaccinations aren't appropriate for certain children religious or philosophical objections should have no part in what is best for the health of a child.

I am assuming by your answer you are extending this to beyond public schools.

So they cant keep the child at home or in a private school?

(just for the record, myself, and my children have been vaccinated against measles ( i had to get an mmr vaccine to attend college even though i had already had the measles, but did not have proof so they made me get it), but i believe people have the right to make their own decisions for themselves medically and for their children when it comes to vaccinations, provided they keep them at home)

genuineoriginal

Many people are choosing to avoid vaccinations because the internet has provided them access to information like this:

_____
Vaccines and Neurological Damage

Vaccinations are very neurotoxic and have been associated with many neurological disorders, like encephalopathies, epilepsy, convulsions, ADD, LD, autism, mental retardation, depression, anxiety, CNS disorders, paralysis, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, nerve deafness, blindness and SIDS. The neurological disorders associated with vaccinations are diverse and numerous. Vaccinations lower IQ as well as contribute to the overt mental disorders and neurological diseases listed here.

The relationship of vaccinations to encephalopathies and neurological diseases have been surfacing in medical journals since the advent of mass vaccination programs. Autism was unheard of before vaccinations, and parallel mass vaccination programs very nicely. ADD and learning disorders in children are now being traced to childhood vaccinations, as well as convulsions, paralysis, and epilepsy. Brain damage is by far the most common adverse reaction associated with vaccinations, although their actual numbers are not often reported correctly.

List of Vaccination-induced Neurological disorders:
•Encephalitis
•Ataxia/Apraxia
•Retardation
•Meningitis Paralysis
•Paralytis polio
•Ms Gullain Barre Syndrome
•Lupus
•Hyperactivity - ADD, LD
•Demyelinization diseases
•Auto-immune Diseases Epilepsy
•Convulsions - Seizures
•Blindness
•Deafness
•SIDS
•Epilepsy
•Mental confusion - lowered IQ
•Brain tumors (SV-40)

This list was generated from a variety of resources and is not, by any means, all inclusive.

The encephalopathies associated with vaccinations may range from overt neurological disease to high pitched crying (commonly seen after vaccination), which is not often recognized as brain damage. In other words, the child is just "reacting to the needle".

It is "normal" to be afraid of shots. But what they are missing is the diagnosis of overt neuropathy, encephalitis or brain dysfunction, because high pitched crying is not normal. Brain damage from vaccines is epidemic and yet, doctors are slow to diagnose neurological disorders (in US) when vaccinations are at stake but we see many citations linking changes (for the worse) after vaccinations are given.

Ted Koren, DC stated, "Dyslexia, minimal brain damage, ADD, autism, allergies, visual and many other neurologic diseases grouped together as "developmental disabilities," barely existed before mass vaccination programs. Probably twenty percent of American children-one youngster in five-suffers from a 'developmental disability.' This is a stupefying figure Developmental disabilities" are nearly always generated by encephalitis. And the primary cause of encephalitis in the United States and other industrialized countries is the childhood vaccination program.

To be specific, a large proportion of the millions of U.S. children and adults suffering from autism, seizures, mental retardation, hyperactivity, dyslexia, and other developmental disabilities, owe their disorders to one or another of the vaccines against childhood diseases." [Emphasis mine.]
_____​

Arthur Brain

I am assuming by your answer you are extending this to beyond public schools.

So they cant keep the child at home or in a private school?

(just for the record, myself, and my children have been vaccinated against measles ( i had to get an mmr vaccine to attend college even though i had already had the measles, but did not have proof so they made me get it), but i believe people have the right to make their own decisions for themselves medically and for their children when it comes to vaccinations, provided they keep them at home)

I personally think it should be mandatory for any school short of there being medical reasons as before. Where it comes to keeping children at home then I'm not sure to be honest, I'd have to think on it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Andrew Wakefield's vaccine-autism connection has been debunked.

Andrew Jeremy Wakefield (born c. 1957) is a British former surgeon and medical researcher, known for his fraudulent 1998 research paper in support of the now-discredited claim that there is a link between the administration of the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine, and the appearance of autism and bowel disease.

More from wiki:

More from CNN: Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds

Selaphiel

MUP1fon.png

They do not give 100% protection in all cases, but it is quite clear that vaccination has saved countless lives. Not vaccinating your children is irresponsible nonsense built on ignorance on the parents part.
Worst part is that people who do not vaccinate benefit from herd immunity as long as enough people vaccinate. They get protected without being willing to do their duty and take on the absolutely minimal risk of side effects.

The anti-vaccination movement just have an illusion of credibility due to the internet, where those nutjobs have a chance to centralize their nonsense.

genuineoriginal

The anti-vaccination movement just have an illusion of credibility due to the internet, where those nutjobs have a chance to centralize their nonsense.

The FDA requires pharmaceutical manufacturers to list the side effects.
Many people are starting to read about the side effects of vaccinations.
_____
Common side effects from the MMR vaccine include low-grade fever, skin rash, itching, hives, swelling, reddening of skin, and weakness. Serious adverse events following MMR vaccination include seizures, severe headaches, double vision, vomiting, joint pain, or pain in the digestive system.1

Other more rare but serious complications reported by Merck in MMR vaccine post-marketing surveillance include:

•brain inflammation (encephalitis) and encephalopathy (chronic brain dysfunction);
•panniculitis (inflammation of the fat layer under the skin);
•atypical measles; syncope (sudden loss of consciousness, fainting);
•vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels);
•pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas);
•diabetes mellitus;
•thrombocytopenia purpura (blood disorder);
•leukocytosis (high white blood cell count);
•anaphylaxis (shock);
•bronchial spasms;
•arthritis and arthralgia (joint pain);
•myalgia (muscle pain);
•polyneuritis (inflammation of several nerves simultaneously).
_____​

shagster01

I nearly died from the mmr vaccine when I was a child. Nobody knew I was allergic until I got it. I am allergic to the rubella portion.

I don't know if my kids are allergic, but I'm not willing to find out.

If your children are vaccinated, why do you care if others aren't?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
From the CDC:

MMR vaccine side-effects
(Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)

What are the risks from MMR vaccine?

A vaccine, like any medicine, is capable of causing serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions.
The risk of MMR vaccine causing serious harm, or death, is extremely small.
Getting MMR vaccine is much safer than getting measles, mumps or rubella.
Most people who get MMR vaccine do not have any serious problems with it.

Mild Problems

• Fever (up to 1 person out of 6)
  • Mild rash (about 1 person out of 20)
  • Swelling of glands in the cheeks or neck (about 1 person out of 75)
If these problems occur, it is usually within 7-12 days after the shot. They occur less often after the second dose.

Moderate Problems

• Seizure (jerking or staring) caused by fever (about 1 out of 3,000 doses)
  • Temporary pain and stiffness in the joints, mostly in teenage or adult women (up to 1 out of 4)
  • Temporary low platelet count, which can cause a bleeding disorder (about 1 out of 30,000 doses)
Severe Problems (Very Rare)

• Serious allergic reaction (less than 1 out of a million doses)
  • Several other severe problems have been reported after a child gets MMR vaccine, including:
    • Deafness
    • Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness
    • Permanent brain damage
    These are so rare that it is hard to tell whether they are caused by the vaccine.
This information was taken directly from the MMR VIS
(This information taken from MMR VIS dated 4/20/12. If the actual VIS is more recent than this date, the information on this page needs to be updated.)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
What about flu shots?

I don't think they've ever been mandated. I think that if they were to be mandated, maybe. I don't really see a problem with it.

Did you know that in the 70s, the government (federal) wanted children vaccinated against swine flu and it killed many of them?

It also caused Guillain-Barré syndrome in many who received it.

THall

If the Government says it has the
authority to inject you with anything
against your will, and tries to force
that view point on the citizens,

they will have started a civil war.

Forced vaccinations are a total violation
of our God given rights.