BigRed new member

BigRed

What does the bible have to do with your atheism specifically? Are you a former Christian?

I always find it odd when someone attributes their atheism to how they view the bible i.e. "I'm an Atheist because I study the Bible". :idunno:

I always find it unbelievable when Christian Apologists claim that they used to be Atheists.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I always find it unbelievable when Christian Apologists claim that they used to be Atheists.
That's fine. Many of the faithful are similarly incredulous when someone claims to have fallen from the faith.

I was an atheist until I was nearly thirty, but I find that most of it (Apologetics) is a waste of time wobbling on a peculiar foundation. The challenge frequently advanced against the faithful, "Prove the existence of God," only appears to be reasonable, given the next natural response, "What standard, if met, would objectively settle the question?" is impossible to form.

Now faith and the religious life can be argued against the atheist's context as an objectively superior posit, but the underlying truth remains a thing only satisfied by the subjective experiential knowledge of God.

Last edited:

Dena

I find it unbelievable when an atheist says he is an atheist because the stories in the Torah aren't literally true. Surely you have another reason? Anything? Or heck, even say you were just born an atheist (I think many people are just born that way). Otherwise it just seems as if you don't believe one particular picture of god exists, not that you don't think any sort of god exists. Make sense?

BigRed

That's fine. Many of the faithful are similarly incredulous when someone claims to have fallen from the faith.

I was an atheist until I was nearly thirty, but I find that most of it (Apologetics) is a waste of time wobbling on a peculiar foundation. The challenge frequently advanced against the faithful, "Prove the existence of God," only appears to be reasonable, given the next natural response, "What standard, if met, would objectively settle the question?" is impossible to form.

Now faith and the religious life can be argued against the atheist's context as an objectively superior posit, but the underlying truth remains a thing only satisfied by the subjective experiential knowledge of God.

I'm not going to even try to prove the existence of God.
I think that the Bible proves that the Christian God doesn't exist.
Christians focus on a few Scriptures while ignoring those that don't fit the theology that they were taught.

BigRed

I find it unbelievable when an atheist says he is an atheist because the stories in the Torah aren't literally true. Surely you have another reason? Anything? Or heck, even say you were just born an atheist (I think many people are just born that way). Otherwise it just seems as if you don't believe one particular picture of god exists, not that you don't think any sort of god exists. Make sense?

If you know that even one story in the Torah is not true, how can you be sure that here aren't other stories that are not true?
Maybe it's all fiction concocted by Ezra to create a national identity for the Jews returning from the Babylonian Captivity?

If there is a God and he wanted me to believe his story then he would have made his story believable for me.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm not going to even try to prove the existence of God.
Who suggested it?
I think that the Bible proves that the Christian God doesn't exist.
I had an aunt who thought we didn't land on the moon...people.
Christians focus on a few Scriptures while ignoring those that don't fit the theology that they were taught.
I'm sure that must be the case...else, a long line of inarguably brilliant men wouldn't be mistaken and you couldn't be right. :plain:

genuineoriginal

I always understood the story of Balaam and his donkey was just a Jewish tale to show that their enemies, Moab and Midian were dumber than Balaam's donkey. The story was an insult not meant to be taken literally. After all everyone knows donkeys don't speak.

Have you seen Shrek?
Every child that has seen Shrek knows that donkeys speak.
:rolleyes:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
If you know that even one story in the Torah is not true, how can you be sure that here aren't other stories that are not true?
Maybe it's all fiction concocted by Ezra to create a national identity for the Jews returning from the Babylonian Captivity?

If there is a God and he wanted me to believe his story then He would have made his story believable for me.
He did as is evidenced by the many that do believe. Sadly, there are those that have very stiff necks and refuse to believe no matter what.

genuineoriginal

If there is a God and he wanted me to believe his story then he would have made his story believable for me.

So you read the Apocryphal books as well?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Numbers 22:28-30
28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” 29 Then Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a mockery of me! If there had been a sword in my hand, I would have killed you by now.” 30 The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I ever been accustomed to do so to you?” And he said, “No.”

The donkey talking is only part of the problem.
It is more unbelievable that Balaam had a conversation with his donkey.
God opened the donkeys mouth. When God gets involved, miracles happen.

Choleric

I'm an Atheist because I study the Bible.

Do you study the bible or do you examine it looking for ways to soothe your conscious as you deny your creator?

Am I my brother's keeper? [Genesis 4:9] Contrary to the Christian right, I say "YES", I am my brother's keeper. That's why I am a Left Winger.
So there is no contradiction.

So let's examine the assumptions built into that statement. First, you claim Christians don't take care of their neighbor. Then you claim left wingers are better at taking care of their neighbor. Then you claim being a right winger is contrary to being a Christian.

That is quite a mouthful of error you have there. 5 minutes of google research could show the folly of your assumptions.

Thanks for the greeting.

My pleasure. You still didn't answer the question about why the bible is your favorite book.

And I also think it's quite hilarious that you take issue with a donkey speaking. God created the entire universe with His words and you think giving a donkey tue ability to speak is beyond the realm of possibility?

BigRed

God opened the donkeys mouth. When God gets involved, miracles happen.

I wonder what your reaction would be if that horse that you ride on started a conversation with you?

When Balaam argued back with his donkey he proved he was a bigger *donkey* than his donkey.

If your horse starts talking to you, make sure you are mounted in the right direction.

genuineoriginal

Slightly, I read through them but never really studied them.

I haven't read them all, so you are one up on me there.
I just recognized your Ezra comment earlier appeared to be based on what I read in 2 Esdras.

I appreciate the way you are defending the contents of the Bible, even though you claim to be an Athiest.
I hope one day you will see the truth in the words you are defending.
:cool: