BigRed new member

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hello everyone,
I hope to have a polite discussion about the Bible.[My favorite book]

BigRed
It was one of Asimov's favorites as well. Can'y say I shared that enthusiasm as an atheist, though I found the NT compelling narration.

I'm an Atheist because I study the Bible.
Unlike the slacker Augustine then, or that hack Merton...Lewis...Chesterton, etc. :plain:

Am I my brother's keeper? [Genesis 4:9] Contrary to the Christian right, I say "YES", I am my brother's keeper. That's why I am a Left Winger.
You don't have to be a left winger to care about those in need and you shouldn't confuse a debate over methodology with indifference as to its aim.

That said, welcome aboard! :e4e:

BigRed

I think his user title got you. chickenman is an a-atheist, not an atheist :D

So BigRed, why atheism? Just curious since the bible is your favorite book and you're quoting scripture in what appears to be a sincere manner. "I'm an Atheist because I study the Bible" doesn't say much. Or perhaps it says it all.....

A critical study of the Bible reveals its flaws.
I could write many pages on this but I hope to progressively reveal my views on the forum.
But for example, Do you think Balaam's donkey spoke to him? [numbers 22] Isn't this beyond the realm of believability?

BigRed

It was one of Asimov's favorites as well. Can'y say I shared that enthusiasm as an atheist, though I found the NT compelling narration.

Unlike the slacker Augustine then, or that hack Merton...Lewis...Chesterton, etc. :plain:

You don't have to be a left winger to care about those in need and you shouldn't confuse a debate over methodology with indifference as to its aim.

That said, welcome aboard! :e4e:

Thanks for the greeting.
I see that you are an intellectual.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

"Critical" or skeptical?

I could write many pages on this but I hope to progressively reveal my views on the forum.
But for example, Do you think Balaam's donkey spoke to him? [numbers 22] Isn't this beyond the realm of believability?

I absolutely believe the donkey spoke.

So?

Nang

GuySmiley

If there is a God, then no, its not at all beyond the realm of believability.

Welcome! :wave:

WizardofOz

What does the bible have to do with your atheism specifically? Are you a former Christian?

I always find it odd when someone attributes their atheism to how they view the bible i.e. "I'm an Atheist because I study the Bible". :idunno:

Dena

But for example, Do you think Balaam's donkey spoke to him? [numbers 22]

No. But I'm still not an atheist.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm no atheist, BigRed. Do you read the bible as carefully as you read others' slogans/mottos/profiles? :)

BigRed

"Critical" or skeptical?

I absolutely believe the donkey spoke.

So?

Nang

Numbers 22:28-30
28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” 29 Then Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a mockery of me! If there had been a sword in my hand, I would have killed you by now.” 30 The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I ever been accustomed to do so to you?” And he said, “No.”

The donkey talking is only part of the problem.
It is more unbelievable that Balaam had a conversation with his donkey.

BigRed

If there is a God, then no, its not at all beyond the realm of believability.

Welcome! :wave:

I always understood the story of Balaam and his donkey was just a Jewish tale to show that their enemies, Moab and Midian were dumber than Balaam's donkey. The story was an insult not meant to be taken literally. After all everyone knows donkeys don't speak.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I haven't read the account of the donkey speaking in a while but I always thought it to be the same as satan speaking to eve.