BigRed new member

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I wonder what your reaction would be if that horse that you ride on started a conversation with you?

When Balaam argued back with his donkey he proved he was a bigger *donkey* than his donkey.

If your horse starts talking to you, make sure you are mounted in the right direction.

The donkey spoke to the prophet with a human voice and the prophet answered with a nay [in the KJV at least]

That makes PERFECT sense.

Dena

If you know that even one story in the Torah is not true, how can you be sure that here aren't other stories that are not true?

I can't and I don't worry about it. The Torah goes deeper than whether a particular story is literally true and factually accurate.

Maybe it's all fiction concocted by Ezra to create a national identity for the Jews returning from the Babylonian Captivity?

Yep. Maybe so. I'm not asking you to be a Jew. Actually, I don't care that you are an atheist either I'm just telling that you reason isn't a valid reason.

If there is a God and he wanted me to believe his story then he would have made his story believable for me.

You don't have to believe that story to believe in a god. Not believing in the accuracy of the Jewish Bible or the Christian Bible isn't a good basis for atheism. I do not believe in the accuracy of the Mormon Bible. Am I an atheist? No. I do not believe Jesus was any sort of divine being. Am I an atheist? No. See where I'm going with this line of thinking?

I'm saying come up with something better if you want to be taken seriously. :thumb:

BigRed

Here is my version.

I think it can be proven that the Christian God is not real.
Christianity advertises that "God is Love" 1John 4:8

But the Christian God endorses slavery, polygamy, genocide, and the murder of Heretics and Homosexuals. The Christian God treats women as 2nd class citizens, and he is prejudiced against the handicapped.
God intends to burn Billions in Hell for all eternity.
This is not love.

"God is love" is a contradiction of the Christian God's attributes.
Therefore the Christian God is not real.

I'll look at your thread.

BigRed

I can't and I don't worry about it. The Torah goes deeper than whether a particular story is literally true and factually accurate.

Yep. Maybe so. I'm not asking you to be a Jew. Actually, I don't care that you are an atheist either I'm just telling that you reason isn't a valid reason.

You don't have to believe that story to believe in a god. Not believing in the accuracy of the Jewish Bible or the Christian Bible isn't a good basis for atheism. I do not believe in the accuracy of the Mormon Bible. Am I an atheist? No. I do not believe Jesus was any sort of divine being. Am I an atheist? No. See where I'm going with this line of thinking?

I'm saying come up with something better if you want to be taken seriously. :thumb:

OK ....so tell me. What's better?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I wonder what your reaction would be if that horse that you ride on started a conversation with you?

When Balaam argued back with his donkey he proved he was a bigger *donkey* than his donkey.

If your horse starts talking to you, make sure you are mounted in the right direction.
IF she starts talking to me, we will have a nice civilized discussion about maintaining gaits and stopping.

Last edited:

WizardofOz

Here is my version.

I think it can be proven that the Christian God is not real.

This is exactly the point that Dena was making to you. Asserting that the Christian God is not real (not a Christian) is far different than asserting that there is no god (atheist).

To say that you are an atheist solely because of problems you perceive in the bible makes me think that you haven't thought theism through to a very full extend. You've taken 1 version of theism and rejected it, thereby rejecting all versions theism along with it.

I don't like cherry pie. That doesn't mean I dislike all pie. ;)

Cleekster

i find myself wondering at this point if Agnostic wouldn't be a better fit BigRed?

anyway...welcome to TOL

faramir77

see, this is why i love intellicetual intercouse with intellictually enlightened peoples,
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." ~holy writ.

what's the word between hello and farewell?

BigRed

see, this is why i love intellicetual intercouse with intellictually enlightened peoples,
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." ~holy writ.

what's the word between hello and farewell?

and

bybee

Hello everyone,
I hope to have a polite discussion about the Bible.[My favorite book]

BigRed

You can expect to navigate some rocky rapids in your biblical discussions on this web site.
Most of us who are "Long-timers" here, as well as many of the relatively new members, feel passionately our beliefs.
Surprisingly, we have much in common, yet, we get hung up on interpretations and logistics.
I hope you enter into the discussions with gusto and wisdom as well. Blessings, bybee