Not open for further replies.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
fool said:
seems like my doctor would have said somthing

Doctor: Hmmm. Should I tell fool that he looks like a neandertal or should I keep taking his money and let him think he is normal?

fool

Hall of Fame
ebenz47037 said:
Doctor: Hmmm. Should I tell fool that he looks like a neandertal or should I keep taking his money and let him think he is normal?
seems like if my doc thought I was one he would have made a study instead of writing a script for my itchy feet

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
None. That's just the point. Entropy is the most tested and best confirmed law of the natural universe in all of science. To reject it and believe in the perpetual motion machine is to reject science altogether.

Resting in Him,
Clete
We may be getting somewhere. Any theory advanced which involves modification or negation of entropy is a rejection of physical reality and be, to put it mildly, unscientific. Correct?

The Berean

Knight,

As believers are we supposed to "know" God or "experience" God? I had a debate with someone about this recently.

Last edited:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Since Christians who believe in the Trinity are monotheists, then aren't Hindus monotheists too because they also believe in a fundamental unity of the Divine?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Berean said:
Knight,

As believers are we supposed to "know" God or "experience" God? I had a debate with someone about this recently.
In this context aren't they both sorta the same thing?

The Berean

Originally Posted by The Berean

Knight,

Knight said:
In this context aren't they both sorta the same thing?

I'm not sure. If I go to concert to hear a singer I am experiencing a part of who they are. But I do not know them personally. I will only know them if I speak to them and get to know them. When we are born-again we enter into a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We want to know Him. By knowing Him we experience His love, mercy, and grace. But to experience these things don't we have to know Him first?

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
I'd love some insight:
I understand that we are not saved by our works (thank God) but do we subconsiously use grace as an excuse to sin? I know I can't be perfect, but should I be striving for righteousness knowing it is unattainable? I frequently find myself praying for the strength to refuse temptation and yet, on occaision, I still find myself succumb to it. I spoke with a missionary who told me that if I still sin, than I do not see Christ, that my actions speak louder than words. I feel a strong connection to my faith and to Christ but I wonder:

-Do I need to boost my willpower?

-If so, how much willpower is enough? It doesn't seem like there could be a point where an individuals level of sin is acceptable.

-If we all sin, and accept Christ as the redeemer of sin, does that not mean that our actions are accouted for by Christ?

-With the above as my vision of Christianity, am I justifying my sinful behavior? Does guilt for my actions and repentance show my understanding of my need for Christ?

I see what the missionary was saying, because it seems like if I sin, I'm justifying it by grace...if I catch myself in the act and neglect to stop it, I believe I'm taking advantage and I've missed the point. This seems unacceptable to me...

-Can a person be righteous? Or are we to live righteously...if so...how righteous is righteous enough?

(There should be a smile in the smile list that's pulling its hair out in frustration)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Berean said:
I'm not sure. If I go to concert to hear a singer I am experiencing a part of who they are. But I do not know them personally. I will only know them if I speak to them and get to know them. When we are born-again we enter into a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We want to know Him. By knowing Him we experience His love, mercy, and grace. But to experience these things don't we have to know Him first?
Good points, I now see better what you mean.

Therefore with "knowing" you also get "experience", but with "experience" you will not necessarily have "knowing".

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
death2impiety said:
I'd love some insight:
I understand that we are not saved by our works (thank God) but do we subconsiously use grace as an excuse to sin? I know I can't be perfect, but should I be striving for righteousness knowing it is unattainable? I frequently find myself praying for the strength to refuse temptation and yet, on occaision, I still find myself succumb to it. I spoke with a missionary who told me that if I still sin, than I do not see Christ, that my actions speak louder than words. I feel a strong connection to my faith and to Christ but I wonder:

-Do I need to boost my willpower?

-If so, how much willpower is enough? It doesn't seem like there could be a point where an individuals level of sin is acceptable.

-If we all sin, and accept Christ as the redeemer of sin, does that not mean that our actions are accouted for by Christ?

-With the above as my vision of Christianity, am I justifying my sinful behavior? Does guilt for my actions and repentance show my understanding of my need for Christ?

I see what the missionary was saying, because it seems like if I sin, I'm justifying it by grace...if I catch myself in the act and neglect to stop it, I believe I'm taking advantage and I've missed the point. This seems unacceptable to me...

-Can a person be righteous? Or are we to live righteously...if so...how righteous is righteous enough?

(There should be a smile in the smile list that's pulling its hair out in frustration)
There is no way you can live "righteously" (as you put it) - you cannot do it.

Trying to be "good" will only drive you further from the mechanism that will eventually give you the willpower you desire.

The less you lean on yourself and the more you lean on Him the more He will produce good fruit through you.

So what does this mean in real terms?

Focus on loving God, and being thankful that you have liberty in Christ and He will produce through you . . .love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Knight said:
There is no way you can live "righteously" (as you put it) - you cannot do it.

Trying to be "good" will only drive you further from the mechanism that will eventually give you the willpower you desire.

The less you lean on yourself and the more you lean on Him the more He will produce good fruit through you.

So what does this mean in real terms?

Focus on loving God, and being thankful that you have liberty in Christ and He will produce through you . . .love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

Thank you, thats what I'll do.

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
As long as they are a legal American what difference would it make?

What do you think fool?
I think we should.
We're a nation of immigrants.
Seems like they should be able to be Prez.

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
I agree.

Although I think this is a very minor issue. Don't you?
I might prevent us from getting the best possible President.
But yes in the grand scheme of things not a life or death situation.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
fool said:
I think we should.
We're a nation of immigrants.
Seems like they should be able to be Prez.
No, the founders got this one right. Anyone can become a citizen, anyone. Doing things the way you guys suggest would allow a much greater chance of a "mole" from an enemy nation to end up becoming the president and causing incredible damage from the inside. I think leaving this filter in place is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.