Ask an Aussie

IMJerusha

LOL! It's an acquired taste :)

Actually, Vegimite was created during the Depression (1923), so children could still get vitamins in their daily diet. It's full of B1, B2, B3 and Folate.

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.

Well my son sees it at the market and just has to buy it to try it out. First go round, he slathers it on a piece of bread and takes a big bite. I must say, his face was hilarious. I'd had it many years back when an Aussie friend brought it to lunch with her. It's definitely an acquired taste. Not to be outdone by a jar of yeast extract, my son sets out to learn the proper way to eat vegemite. Now he smears just a bit over a cracker or toast. Tried it on a rice cake the other day and proclaimed he's finally got it mastered. I had to ask him why. His response..."Well, I paid $10.00 for this jar of vegemite and I'm going to get my money's worth!" Plucky boy!

Thunder's Muse

Well my son sees it at the market and just has to buy it to try it out. First go round, he slathers it on a piece of bread and takes a big bite. I must say, his face was hilarious. I'd had it many years back when an Aussie friend brought it to lunch with her. It's definitely an acquired taste. Not to be outdone by a jar of yeast extract, my son sets out to learn the proper way to eat vegemite. Now he smears just a bit over a cracker or toast. Tried it on a rice cake the other day and proclaimed he's finally got it mastered. I had to ask him why. His response..."Well, I paid $10.00 for this jar of vegemite and I'm going to get my money's worth!" Plucky boy!

LOL!

Vegimite on toast with Avocado is nice. You can also add it to stews etc to add flavour.

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.

It doesn't say it's an island...

I should explain, my wife and I were discussing continents several months ago and I mistakenly called Australia an island, and Greenland a continent. I was fed some humble pie that night. (There's nothing wrong with your graphic, my brain is another matter.)

Personally, I find English, Australian and New Zealand accents are all cool, as are many others so I don't offend anyone.

Thunder's Muse

I should explain, my wife and I were discussing continents several months ago and I mistakenly called Australia an island, and Greenland a continent. I was fed some humble pie that night. (There's nothing wrong with your graphic, my brain is another matter.)

Personally, I find English, Australian and New Zealand accents are all cool, as are many others so I don't offend anyone.

:)

Thunder's Muse

Top 30 dangerous animals in Australia

This list was developed by the Australian Museum in Sydney. Museum staff rated animals out of 10 based on the threat they pose, combined with the likelihood of encountering one.

Danger rating: 10/10

1. Box jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri)

Danger rating: 9/10

2. Honey bee (Apis mellifera)

3. Irukandji (Carukia barnesi)

Danger rating: 8/10

4. Bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas)

5. Eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis)

6. Saltwater or estuarine crocodile (Crocodylus porosus)

7. Sydney funnel web spider (Atrax robustus)

Danger rating: 7/10

8. Blue-ringed octopus (Genus Hapalochlaena)

9. Coastal taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus)

10.Common death adder (Acanthopis antarticus)

11. Cone shells (Conus sp.)

12. Dugite or spotted brown snake (Pseudonaja affinis)

13. Mulga snake (Pseudechis australis)

14. Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)

15. Tiger shark (Galeocerdo cuvier)

16. Tiger snake (Notechis scutatus)

17. Great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias)

18. Yellow-bellied sea snake (Pelamis platurus)

Danger rating: 6/10

19. Bluebottle (Physalia physalis)

20. Common lionfish (Pterois volitans)

21. Collett’s snake (Pseudechis colletti)

22. Highland copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi)

23. Inland taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus)

24. Redback spider (Lactodectus hasselti)

25. Reef stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa)

26. Smooth toadfish (Tetractenos glaber)

27. Blue-bellied black snake (Pseudechis guttatus)

Danger rating: 5/10

28. Australian paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus)

29. Bull ant (Myrmercia pilosula)

30. Giant centipede (Ethmostigmus rubripes)

http://www.australiangeographic.com...3/03/australias-dangerous-animals-the-top-30/

GFR7

Why do Australia's Opossums looks so different from ours here in the US?
:think:

North American Opossum
images

Australian Possum

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg